Adapting

THE TRUTH IN A LIE

That night,we were having dinner together,as a ‘family’.I feel bad for lying,but seeing her parents happiness I couldn’t help but to feel relieved.At least,I did something good eventhough I know they will hate me if they learn the truth.

“How’s your life going for all this while?Is it hard on you?”, Mrs Byun asked carefully,trying not to hurt me by her words.

“Fine.”, I answered shortly while nodding.

“I’m sorry,but can you tell me about your foster mom?”, Mr Byun asked this time.

I choked a bit on my food and Mrs Byun passed me a glass of water.I drink it slowly,trying to think of something at the same time.Eventhough we’re best friend,I don’t really know about her foster mother.One thing for sure,she’s happy so I guess her foster mother is a good person.

“Well,she’s one nice person.”, I answered,forcing a smile.

I noticed that Baekhyun was staring at me the whole time,as if waiting for me to make mistakes so he can take me out.

“I’m afraid if she take you for granted.Your mother was sick at the time,so she lost you while shopping at a mall.She looks everywhere for you but she can’t find you.I hired a detective to track you and we waited all these years to meet you.And now,I’m glad that you’re here.”, Mr Byun explained.

Wow,your detective sure took a long time to do his work.Soo Hyun was 8 when that happened and you only meet her when she’s now 18.And one thing you didn’t know,she’s dead.

I’m glad,though that they agreed to call me Ji Hyun instead of Soo Hyun.I told them that my foster mother give me that name and I want to keep it.

“Ji Hyun,do you remember the garden that you used to visit when you’re a kid?You always go there with Baekhyun.”, Mrs Byun suddenly asked.

I gulped.Well,I didn’t remember she told me any of this.

“I..I..”, I paused to think of something.

“It’s okay.Don’t push her so hard.Baekyun could take her there again.She will remember everything.”, Mr Byun backed me up.

I forced a smile but it faded when I saw Baekhyun smirking.

“Did she forget it….or she never know that it existed?”, he mocked.

“Baekhyun,watch your mouth.”, Mr Byun warned.

“Why you didn’t answer?Cat got your tongue?Or you can’t create a lie at this moment?”,He goes on,trying to take me down.

I looked at him with don’t-do-this face.

“Do you hate me that much,oppa?”, I tried to sound sad,hoping that he would soften up.

Mrs Byun said Baekhyun are very close with his sister before so I wonder why he didn’t treat me well.Maybe he didn’t trust me yet.

“No,I don’t hate you.It’s just that I don’t really trust you.And I wonder why it is.Well,I think that you are not my sister.I think you are faking all this.What do you think?”, He raised an eyebrow while staring at me,waiting for an answer.

I choked on my food again but quickly took a sip of water.

What’s wrong with this guy?He keep getting on my nerves ever since I got here.

“Baekhyun,it’s so rude of you.You should be nice to her.”, Mrs Byun said instead of me.

Hah!Listen to your mother.Don't be such a jerk.

Baekhyun chuckled.

“Sorry,sis.Just joking.I just want to live the atmosphere.”, He stated nonchalantly,still smiling.

HA.HA.So funny that I forgot to laugh.Nice joke,man.He sure has no sense of humour.

After the dinner,I was hanging out at the balcony when he came with a glass of milk.

 “You love to drink milk,don’t you?Here,I made some.”,Baekhyun passed me the glass of milk.

 “M-milk?O-of course.”,I took it reluctantly.

 *Damn.I hate milk.*

He was staring,waiting for me to drink the milk.

"Don't worry,I didn't  intend to poison you.", He added.

Reluctantly,I took a sip of it and he smiled.

“I thought you hate milk.My sister never drink the milk I made for her.It’s weird,don’t you think so?”,He stare at me with I-got-you face.

I coughed a bit when I realized that he tried to trap me.

“Well,that’s the old me.My foster mother always made me a cup of milk before I go to sleep so I like milk now.People change as time goes by.Just like you.I don’t remember you being such a jerk back then.I guess you changed too.”, I replied and left to my room.

His face fell and I laughed in my mind.Take that,on your face.Think I’m that dense?Well you messed with the wrong person.Rather than dealing with him,it’s better if I go to sleep early.Tomorrow,I’m going to the school.Dad had registered me into a school.I mean,Soo Hyun's dad.But now he's my dad too,isn't he?Finally,I can go to school,a good one.

The next morning,I wake up early and get prepared to go to the school.I was about to finish my breakfast when Baekhyun came down to join.He looked flawless in the uniform.He looked so cool and..cute.If only he put a smile on that precious face.

“What are you looking at?Do I look like an alien?”,He snapped as he took a seat infront of me.

“Remember,I’m your freaking brother so you can’t fall in love with me.You know that,don’t you?But I can’t blame you,I’m too good looking.” He giggled while picking up a sandwich.

I scoffed.Idiot.One,you are not my brother.Second,I won’t fall in love with you.Third,you’re not that good looking.Well,you are good looking.Only if you didn’t talk.

“Baekhyun,show her around the school tomorrow.Don’t leave her alone in that new school.”

Mr Byun’s words last night ringed in my ears.They have both leave for work and I’m afraid Baekhyun won’t help me.

“I’ll see you at school.If we met.”, He stated and rose from his seat while sliding his bag over his shoulder

“Wait.What about me?”, I asked as I rose from my seat too.

“Nothing to do with me.I don’t want to be seen with someone like you,a stranger I would say.And please stay away from me.If possible,act like you never know me.”, He exclaimed before rushing outside where the driver had already wait for him.

I know this is going to happen.

I ended up taking a cab to school.The school is quite fine,I would say.The students here are ignoring me and I guess that’s a good thing.At leat I don’t have to answer any questions.Most importantly,I hadn’t meet Baekhyun.I hope we never met.

During the lunch,I took the farthest seat from others so nobody can disturb me.As I was about to eat,a husky voice greeted me.

“Can I sit here?”, A tall man with a bright smile appeared infront of me.He was holding a tray of food.

I want to say no but my mouth isn't in chemistry with my mind.

“Y-Yes.Go ahead.”, I pointed to the space opposite of me.

“Can we sit here too?”

I was shocked when another two man showed up.Before I could answer,they took the space beside the first man.I feel like everybody’s attention in the cafeteria at that time turned to me so I looked around.Right,they were whispering while staring at my place.

“You must be a new face.I never seen you before.”, The tall one said.

I nodded,unsure of what to say.

“I’m Chanyeol.”, The tall one said.

“Call me D.O.”,Said the second one.

“ChenChenChen.I mean,call me Chen.”, The last one exclaimed.

“I’m Ji Hyun.”, I said while looking around.I feel uncomfortable when the peoples are still staring.

Chanyeol looks over to D.O and D.O stood up from his seat.

‘Stop staring before I pull your eyes out with this spoon!”, D.O  yelled and everybody looks away from us instantly.

I was quite shocked hearing his high pitched voice.What now?I got involved with the gangster?And that D.O guy looked like he has a split personality.

He sat back on his seat and his angry face turned to a smiling one.

“Sorry about that.Let’s eat.”, Chen said and they started eating like nothing happened.I nodded and I started eating too.

All of them are good looking so I  guess people looks up to them.I’m curious to  why they would eat with me.

“Don’t you think we should tell him we’re sitting here?He might be looking for us.”, Chen suddenly talked to Chanyeol.

Are they waiting for someone else?Great,maybe they wanted to invite the whole class here.Wow!I will get many friends.Sounds stuffy.

“Do you mind if another friend of us join in here?”, D.O  asked me.

“I’m okay with it.”, I answered.

And again,my mouth betrays my mind.Tch,as if you will move to somewhere else if I say no.

“We are not bad people.You looked lonely so we thought you need a company.”, Chen explained.Maybe he noticed that I was uncomfortable being around them.

"Chanyeol says you're pretty.",Chen commented.

"Thanks.",  I smiled in response.

"Don't you think this feels awkward?",D.O asked.

"Yeah,and thanks for making it more awkward.", Chanyeol added.

I burst into laugh seeing them.

"You guys are funny."

I commented in my mind but I don't know I say it loud.

"I'm glad you thinks of us like that.At least you smile." 

Chanyeol glanced at me as he spoke.I almost melt when he winked suddenly.What’s wrong with this guy?Is he trying to hit on me?

“Here,bro.”, Suddenly Chen waved to the person behind him.

My heart thumped as I hear his footsteps are coming closer.

“Look what we got here.A new student.”, D.O introduced me and I turned around to see the person.

Maybe I shouldn’t after all because when I did,Baekhyun’s face greet me.He looked as shocked as me.

“You.”, We both voiced out at the same time.

“What’s this?You already know each other?”, Chen asked,confused.

Baekhyun sat beside me anyway,pretending to keep calm.

“What are you guys doing here?I waited at our usual place.”, Baekhyun asked.

“This is all Chanyeol’s fault.He said he want to hit on…..”

Before Chen could finish,Chanyeol cupped his mouth.

“We’re just hanging around.”, Chanyeol stated.

“So,did you know her?”, D.O  asked.

Baekhyun glanced at me once before he answered.

“She’s my dongsaeng.”

The three man’s gaped as he said that.It was an unexpected answer from him.I thought he didn’t want anybody to know about us.After what seems like 3 seconds passed,somebody speaks up.

“So..you expect us to believe it?So funny,Baek.”, D.O  shook his head in disbelief.

“I’m not joking.I will explain later.Now will you guys excuse her for a while.We’ll meet in the class.”, Baekhyun signaled me to follow him.

“And Chanyeol,stop thinking of hitting on her.Don’t do anything weird to her or you will have to face me.”, Baekhyun turned to Chanyeol before we left.

They waved me goodbye before he dragged me away from them.We stopped by the hallways that are quite quiet at that time.

“Stop clinging to my best friends.It troubles me.”, He spurted.

“I’m not.They were the one coming to me.”,I defend myself.

“Then avoid them.Especially Chanyeol.He’s a player.”

“Why should you bother about that?Remember,I’m your freaking sister and you can’t fall in love with me.You know that don’t you?”, I repeat his words.

“Don’t be so full of yourself.I’m just saying this as your brother.I don’t want to get into trouble.Since I’ll have to protect you from him.”

“Right.Now you finally accept me as your sister.If you want to avoid trouble,why would you tell them about us?They won’t know if you didn’t tell them.”

“Sooner or later they will know..and I hate to lie.For now,I’ll believe you as my sister but if I find out that you lie,game’s over.I hate liars.So from now on,stick close to me and act like real sister to me.Obey me.”

I don’t know what to say.Is he being real?Maybe he did missed his sister.I should have treat him better.But why do I feel awkward being around him?Furthermore,I lied.He will be really mad if he know I'm lying.

“As a start,we’ll go home together.Wait for me at the gate later.Don’t wander anywhere.You’re dead if I find you out.”, He warned me before he left.

I smiled upon seeing him leaving.He has such a nice heart,that guy.Great,now I can live my life quietly.I had sent some money to my sister at the hospital.I hope she’s okay because I can’t go to visit her these days.

I thought we can get along together but I guess he still can’t accept me fully.Everytime he sees a chance he will pick on me.

“Yah.Your tea can kill people.Do you own a sugar factory?”

“Tie away your hair.It smells like rotten fish.”

“You can’t even solve this Math’s equation?I had never meet someone with your IQ.Is your IQ consists of one digit,or negative?”

“You glutton.Don’t eat while talking.It’s gross.”

These harsh words aren’t new to me.

He annoyed me a lot but I guess sometimes he was just trying to be close with me.

Just like this one night.He was picking up the broken glass when it pierces into his skin.

“Ji Hyun!!Come here,faster!”, He yelled and I dashed out in hurry to the kitchen.

He was sitting on the floor,holding his bleeding finger.

“I’m bleeding to death.Do something.I can’t stand blood.”He almost cried.

I let out a chuckle.

“Yah,nobody dies from that little wound.You are overreacting.Sissy.”

“Stop laughing.Help me now.”

I brought him to the living room and took out the first aid kit.

“Give me your finger.”,I held out my hand to him.

“Do it gently.I’ll kill you if you mess up with my precious finger.”, He warned me.I huffed my bang.

“Are you going to give me your finger or not?If not,I will leave you bleed to death here.”

He give his finger and I treated it with care.However ,it’s not an easy task when he can’t stop his mouth from blabbering all over.

“Hey,do you eat iron?You kill me with every touch.”

“Too much iodine,it’s spilling all over.”

“That’s how you use plaster?A kid can do better.”

“Then ask the kid to treat you!You talk so much I thought you’re a girl!Really,oppa.If you talk again,I’m going to shove this plaster into your mouth.”, I exploded.

He mimicked my word in protest and I thumped on his left feet.

"YOU CRAZY!It hurts.", He yelped.

"I saw what you did." 

He didn’t say a word afterwards.

“It’s all ready.”, I stated as I finished treating his wound.

I was about to leave when he stopped me.I raised an eyebrow,signaling him to go on.

“Thanks.For helping me.”

I smiled at him,sincerely.

“It’s nothing.Don’t worry,it will be better tomorrow.”

He smiled back at me,purely.

“Hey,I think it’s not bad being with you after all.”,he stated.

“Yeah,since you can bully me all you want.”, I added.

“Awww..look at you,trying to be cute.Come here.”

He hugged me on the spot and I was speechless that I froze in my spot.It’s not a bad thing after all.We’re brother and sister,this is how we should act.But my heart was beating crazily and I can feel the heat crept up to my face.What I’m thinking.He’s your brother,remember that,idiot!

Unknowingly, I pushed him away and he looks at me in confuse.

“Huh?Why are you blushing?”, He asked casually.

“I-I’m not blushing!you hug too hard that I can’t breath!”, I cupped my face,covering the blush.

“Uh-oh!Don’t tell me this is your first skinship with man?So cute..Don’t worry,I’ll help you to do skinship.We’re family,after all.”

I gulped.No,he shouldn’t do this.He won’t feel anything because he sees me as his little sister.As for me,I know the truth.If he keeps acting like that,I may end up falling for him.The moment I can’t see him as my brother,game’s over.

“No!Stop doing this,you ert!Do that to your girlfriend.”, I yelled and he chuckled.

“Until I find one I’m going to hug you all I want.My cute dongsaeng.”, He said as he pinched my left cheek.

“Stop doing that!I’m a grown up!”

“You can’t stop me.”

“Fine.”, I surrender.

There’s no way I would win him.Well,I guess it’s a good thing after all.I’m going to live freely infront of him.We’re family,remember that.I hope I won’t forget that.I hope.