She Died

THE TRUTH IN A LIE

I had promised my sister to come and see her today,so here I was.I bought a bouquet of pink roses she always liked,and I also brought her the porridge she asked the other day.However when I entered her ward,she wasn’t there.Her bed looks very neat,as if there’s no person had been there.I placed the things I brought on the table.

Just then,a nurse came in.

“Who’re you looking for?”,she asked.

“Where’s the patient here?She’s my sister.”,I answered and I swear her face changed.

“Her sister?We’ve been looking for you since this morning.”

“Why?What happened?”,I can feel my voice trembled as I talk.

“She’s dead this morning.”

I feel my knees went weak as she said that.I hold the table as a support but I sinked on the bed anyway.

“Are you okay,miss?”,She rushed over to me and pat my shoulder.

“I’m not okay!You’re lying!”,I yelled and she my back lightly before she left.I bet she knew I wanted to be alone.

“Ji Hyun.”,A voice called.

I looked at the door and Baekhyun was there.He was having a hard time to breath,I guess he came running.Why he’s here?Am I hallucinating?Nothing seems real and I can’t differentiate between reality and fantasy now.She’s dead?My sister?

“You left your phone,the hospital called…I guess you knew it already.”,He said as he gazed on me.

I burst into tears as I remembered the nurse’s words.

“She’s dead this morning.”

You can’t die.You promise me.I brought the porridge you asked,and roses too.Don’t do this to me,I need you.I keep crying out my heart until I felt dizzy.

Baekhyun walked to me after he observed me quite a while.This time,his face soften when he gaze at me.He sat quietly beside me,holding my hand gently.I can feel the warmth and comfort from his touch.

“You can cry on me.”,He stated and as soon he finished,I hide my face on his chest,holding on to his waist.

He responded by hugging me and my back lightly.

“She’s gone.She’s not here.I…I can never see her again.Why did she left me?”,I said between tears and I’m not sure if Baekhyun understand what I’m saying because I’m using my nasal voice to talk.

“It’s okay.It’s not your fault.You have me so it’s okay.”,He whispered and again,I was spellbound by him.I feel safe and I want to believe every words he said.

I’m not strong enough to visit my sister for the last time so Baekhyun arranged it all,her funeral and everything.I appreciated his presence this moment.What would I do if he’s not here?

“Here.The nurse asked me to pass this to you.It’s from your sister.Don’t force yourself too much.If you need anything I’ll be outside.”,Baekhyun placed a letter on my table before he left my room.

It had been three days since she died and I skipped school since then.I can’t really accept that she’s gone.Baekhyun understand and he even create excuses to his parents when they asked about me skipping meals and school.Baekhyun said,I was talking in my sleep too so he’ll check on me every hour each night.He stopped being a jerk after that day and took care of me like he used to.I bet he sympathized with me.

I took the letter and opened it carefully.I traced her handwritings one by one and my tears started to flow.I miss you,my sister.Every words written strucked my heart.

 

Dear my lovely sister,

I asked the nurse to give this only when I’m gone.So when you read this,it means that I’m dead.Sorry,was that too harsh?I know you’re crying as you read this.I don’t want you to cry,really.I love you more than anyone else in this world.You’re the best sister I’ve ever had.When you love someone,you hate to see her suffer,right?Same goes with me.I hate seeing you suffer because of me.You’re doing everything for me eventhough you had to put your life in trouble.Don’t ever blame yourself on my death.I can feel that my time had arrived and I’m not sad.I’m going to meet our parents up there.I know you’re strong enough to live your life without me.

You deserved to be happy,remember that.We only live once,so live it to the fullest.I’ll never disappear from your heart,right?I know you’ll keep me in there.Don’t worry,I’ll look after you from above,with our parents.I want you to wake up from this sadness and prove to me that you’re strong.I’ll be happy as long as you smile.About Soo Hyun’s family,it’s your choice,unnie.Whether you want to stay or leave.They might hate you if you tell the truth but time will heal that.Just ask for forgiveness.You’ve done nothing,and I know you never took any cents from them.I believe in you.Live well.I love you.

I smiled at her last words.I wipe the tears from my face and folded the letter carefully.I pulled my drawer and kept it in there.Thanks for the comfort,sister.