Unexpected Reunion

THE TRUTH IN A LIE

“So, how’s life?”, Chanyeol asked after a long silence. We went out for lunch together, in the name of old friends. Yeah right, I mentally slap myself for agreeing to join them. Baekhyun haven’t speak since we left my office and I can’t bring myself to speak first. I’m grateful that Chanyeol was here.

“Erm, well..Everything’s fine. As you can see.” I answered awkwardly before I took a sip of my fresh orange.

Chanyeol nodded to my answer and he continued.

“Do you live alone now?”

“Yes.”

Chanyeol nudged Baekhyun and gestured him to talk but Baekhyun shrugged him away.

“What’s wrong guys? Don’t be like this. Can’t we just have a smooth conversation?” He glanced to Baekhyun and me back and forth and I giggled.

“Sorry. I was just nervous to see you guys. And happy at the same time.”, I said at last, trying to act friendly.

“If you are that happy to see us, why did you left wordlessly back then?” Baekhyun leaned against his chair and stared at me, waiting for my answer.

I coughed at his sudden attack and Chanyeol massaged his temple in annoyance.

“Baek, that was not a good question to welcome her after all those years.”

“I’m just asking, no offense.” Baekhyun chuckled.

“So where are you guys staying now?” I cleared my throat and changed the topic.

“We’re staying at Amara Condominium.”

I spat my drink at Chanyeol’s answer. That was where I’m staying!

“And your house number?”, I asked while hitting a fist on my chest. My chest are burning from choking on my drink just now.

“30. Why? “ Chanyeol asked in puzzle.

“You live across my house.” I stated in a matter of fact and this time time, Chanyeol and Baekhyun choked on their food at the same time. They reach out for their drink while hitting their chest in pain.

“ Are you serious?”, Chanyeol asked after a while.

“ Yeah.I should be the one to ask that. I had never seen you guys though.”

“We spent most of our time in our studio and we only came home past midnight.”

I nodded my head in acknowledgement.

“It’s fascinating how close we were to each other but we never bump to each other. It’s a small world after all.”, I said in awe.

“Well, if it’s meant to be, it will be. No matter how hard you hide or run.” Baekhyun added and I smiled.

“You’re right.”

I don’t know if Baekhyun was trying to seek revenge but he sure was trying hard to piss me off. I didn’t mind, though. It was his right to do so.

“Well, guys. I’ll need to leave first. See you guys later.” Chanyeol rose up from his seat suddenly. Before I could say anything, he had disappeared by the corner.

Damn. What I’m going to do now? I bit my lip while drumming my fingers on the table.

“You looked beautiful.”

Baekhyun commented suddenly and I mentally blushed.

“I mean, your clothes.”, he corrected and I rolled my eyes in annoyance.

“ Yeah, your suit looks great too.”, I scoffed and he chuckled.

“Now, shall we go?”, He rose up from his seat, wearing his coat that he hang beside his chair.

“To where?” I asked, feeling confused at his sudden command.

“To your house.”

I gaped at his bold statement. Did he lost his mind already?

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………........................................

“Go inside.” Baekhyun instructed while eyeing the key in my hand. We were standing at the door of my apartment, and he keep pushing to go inside. I stared at him with are-you-serious look and he took away the key in my hand. He unlocked my grill, and clicked open my door knob. He pushed himself inside my house and I followed him inside, closing the grill and the door behind me.

“You are the most thick-faced person I’ve ever met.” I stated while observing him walked around my apartment.

“We’re neighbor after all.”, was his prompt reply and I scoffed.

“Yes, an unwanted neighbor.” I whisper to myself.

“ This house is quite neat. I guess you clean regularly now.”

I scoffed at his remarks.

“ I’m a neat person to begin with.”

“Says the person who do laundry once in a month back then. You didn’t know how to vacuum back then and I remember that mom would help to do your laundry.”

“Stop talking about the past. I’m not the old Ji Hyun you know.” I said and he turned to face me.

“ How can I, when that’s the only thing that connects us together?”

I was left speechless at his words but I gathered my thoughts back again. Mina’s words rang in my head.

That was my crush.

It turns out that Baekhyun was the man she fall in love with. What a small world. I’m in trouble now. The man whom Mina loved with all of her heart turns out to be the man I long for.

“What are you trying to do now?” I asked and he sat on my couch. He looked up to me, carving a crooked smile.

“To connect the broken ties, to find the missing piece of my puzzle, and to claim my destiny.”

Seeing me left speechless again, he continued.

“I see that familiar aura radiate from you. Your obvious lie, your trembling gaze, your smile that won’t reach your eyes. I could read through you.”

I scoffed at his words.

“Don’t compare the present with past. I don’t like talking about it.”

“Why?”

“Because it reminds me of what I did. I deceive an innocent family.”

“I know you would say that.” He said as he stood up and walked to me.

“3 years is more than enough to treat those wounds. We never hate you and we have given you a lot of time to find yourself. Now that it all ended well, I want you to come back to me.”

“You let me go for my sake, but I leave for my own sake. I’m a selfish person.”

“I know, but I need you for my own sake. Now, let’s start it all back. Let’s just forget the past and start fresh. Hi, I’m your neighbor, Baekhyun.”

He stretched out his hands to me and I froze in my spot. He sighed as he took my hand to grab his outstretched arm.

“Just play along, would you.”

“You really lost your mind.” I said as he shook my hand.

“Yeah, nice to meet you Ji Hyun.” He smiled and I couldn’t help but to chuckle at his cheekiness.

I don’t know if we could be like before because it feels a bit awkward. He’s right, we need to start all over again. Now, it’s not about both of us anymore. Mina is standing between us now. I’m not trying to let him go for her, but I can’t ignore her feelings either. She’s a good friend all this while and it seems that she really liked him. A lot.

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………...............................................

Baekhyun really lost his mind. Today, he had visited my apartment for like 5 times already.

“I want coffee. Make me one.”

“Do you have extra hanger? I want to borrow some.”

“I think I dropped my phone in your apartment. Let me search for it.”

“The pipe in my bathroom is broken. Can I use yours?”

“I left my key inside and Chanyeol haven’t returned. Let me stay here for now.”

He used every reason possible to stay in my apartment, even the silly ones. I played along because honestly, I liked him here.

This time, he brought Chanyeol with him. Chanyeol was dragged half asleep, and he was staggering to walk. I shook my head at both of them.

“What now?”, I asked with a hand on my waist.

“Chanyeol wanted a cup of hot chocolate. He was talking in his dream. I can’ stand it anymore so would you help?” He said with an awkward smile.

“I don’t want that. I just want to sleep for God sake.” Chanyeol said as he yawns. He can barely open his eyes and Baekhyun patted Chanyeol’s head who was a lot taller than him.

“You ungrateful giant. Just shut up.”

“Come in.” I chuckled, giving them space to enter my space.

“sit first, I’ll make hot chocolate.” I said as I went to the kitchen.

I returned with two cups of chocolate and giggled at the sight. Chanyeol was dead sleeping on the couch and Baekyun was trying hard to wake him. I cleared my throat and Baekhyun turned to me. I placed the cups on table and sat across them.

“Let him sleep. You are using him, it was so obvious.” I stated, chuckling and he rubbed the back of his head with his left hand.

“Did I?”, He asked awkwardly and I nodded.

He grabbed a cup of hot chocolate and blows it before taking a sip.

“Aren’t you going to ask about my parents?” He asked and I smiled.

“You are going to tell me, anyway.”

“They are in a good state. Come whenever you wants, they miss you a lot.”

“Okay, then. Send my regards to them.”

It was a long silence before he spoke.

“Let’s talk about us.”

I forced a smile before we locked eyes.

“What about us? You are talking as if we’re having a special relationship.” I said and I swear his face fell.

“Are you going to be like this now?”, His face turned cold.

“What? I should be the one to ask.You are acting weird. Yeah,of course we’re close back then. But that’s it.”

“ Don’t lie on my face.” His voice turned colder and his face tightened. I knew he was upset.

“What? Okay, I admit that we were having a fling back then. But it could be because we live together then. We are confused by our feelings. Don’t tell me you’re still holding on to that? Years had passed.” Again I forced a laugh. Acting that everything was fine.

Just then, he laughed. To be precise, he smirked at my remarks.

“You can’t fool me with that. Something’s up right? Even if you won’t tell me now, I would find out eventually. Fine, we’ll go with the fact that you doesn’t like me anymore. But you can’t stop my feelings for you. You can go on with your life, I’ll do the chase. I’ll make you like me with my own ways.”

“Baekhyun.”

“ That’s it for tonight. I’m going back to my apartment to sleep. I’ll see you tomorrow, and the next,next day too. Everyday.” He smiled and I mentally slapped myself.

Just why he’s so nice? Smiling that as if I said nothing hurtful?

After he left with Chanyeol, I started to think. In this life, we can’t get everything that we desire. We can’t keep everything we like; who can keep rainbow to themselves even though they like it?

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

Baekhyun’s POV

She had gotten prettier after all these years. She looked much more mature, both in her appearance and her ways of thinking. I can’t figure out why did she act like there was nothing special between us because I’m sure there is. She knows how to keep a calm expression so I couldn’t really guess what’s on her mind. She acted like we’re just friends, a good one.

It was Sunday and we’re having our first meeting regarding that charity event we’re doing. She arrived late with that Hyunsik guy. From a glance I could see that he had some feelings for my Ji Hyun. The way he stare at her, the way he tried to match her step, it was so obvious. But I’m sure that it was a one-sided love. Ji Hyun looked very comfortable being around him, the Ji Hyun I know would became nervous when someone she like is nearby. Just like her reaction to me.

As soon as she took a seat across me, she cleared and tried her best not to lock eyes with me.

“Good morning, Ji Hyun.” , I greeted to and she blinked at my sudden greet.

“G-good morning.”, She answered, slightly stuttered with an awkward smile.

“Chanyeol wasn’t able to join us today. He need to settle some works at our studio.”, I told them about Chanyeol’s absence and they nodded in acknowledgement.

“It’s okay, but where is Mina?” Hyunsik asked and Ji Hyun looked around.

“ She said she was on her way.” Ji Hyun answered while staring at her handphone screen.

“Sorry, I’m late!”

Mina came just then, breathing heavily as she took a seat beside me, across Hyunsik. She looks somewhat different. I think she put on makeup, a heavy one that her blusher resemble Pikachu. I bit my lip to refrain from laughing and I saw Ji Hyun gaped at Mina.

“Err.. Mina, you looks different.” Hyunsik said as he rubbed the back of his head, exchange glances with Ji Hyun.

“Why? Do I look weird?” Mina asked as she placed a strand of her hair behind her ear.

“N-no. You looked absolutely beautiful.” Ji Hyun answered with double thumb.

I knew that Mina actually tried to appeal to me. I knew she liked me. She had told me about her feelings and I clearly told her that I already had someone in my mind, but she just won’t give up. What a small world, she turned out to be Ji Hyun’s friend.

I cleared my throat and start to open the documents. We then started our discussion, on the content of project and necessary discussion. Strangely enough, when we started to discuss Ji Hyun became someone else. She was really into the discussion and seeing her made me forget that we knew each other outside work. She would just voice out if she didn’t like the idea or wanted to implement improvements. She really progress well and I’m proud of her.

“That’s it for today. So we had decided on the theme and venue. For next meeting we will discuss on the flow of our program.” Hyunsik concluded our discussion and I nodded, reassembling the paperworks back into my files.

Hyunsik went to order some desserts and drinks for all of us alongside Mina and I took this opportunity to tease Ji Hyun.

“ Where are you going after this?”

She turned to me and raise an eyebrow.

“Going home of course.”

“I had a place in mind. Let’s go together later.”

She shook her head no.

“I’ve got works to do at home.”

“Today is Sunday.”

“I’m settling my works on Sunday.”

“I’ll wait until you are done, then.”

“I want to rest.”

“Yah, do you think I’m a joke? Do you think my feelings is a joke?Just because I like you, doesn’t mean you can act like this. I’m going to bring you with me later.” I pushed on, shrugging. She’s one stubborn girl and I’m not going to let her be.

Before she could answer, they had returned with 4 plate of cheesecake and 4 cups of tea.

“Enjoy this.” Mina said as she placed a plate of cake infront of me. I muttered a quick thanks before I passed the plate to Ji Hyun.

I noticed Ji Hyun glanced over to Mina and she looked guilty. I wonder what happened between them. Mina looked disappointed as she sat down. Did I hurt her by giving my cake to Ji Hyun?

Mina grab a fork and started to eat her cake.

“Both of you looked close together.” She suddenly commented and Ji Hyun choked on her cake.

“Yes, we used to..” I was about to tell them that we used to date but Ji Hyun suddenly shoved a spoonful of cake into my mouth.

“Eat this, it tastes so good!” She exclaimed while letting out an absurd laugh.

I was shocked by her sudden attack, so are Mina and Hyunsik.

“We’re actually close because we used to live next to each other. Back then.” She added and her cheeks turn red beet. She was acting weird and I can’t comprehend. Why won’t she let me tell them about our relationship? Did she like Hyunsik?

Hyunsik laughed at our interaction.

“I don’t know Ji Hyun is a prankster like this. I guess you two are really close then.”

“Well, we practically are close like a brother and sister.” Ji Hyun added and I frowned.

“No, we..”

Again, before I could speak she suddenly let out a high pitched laugh.

“OMG! This cake is really delicious!”, She exclaimed while clapping like a seal.

She then drank the whole cup of tea, before spurting it back because the tea is boiling hot. I stared at her wide-eyed and passed her tissues.

“Slow down, will you?”, Hyunsik patted her backs ,her eyes become teary and she coughed a bit.

“Are you okay, Hyunnie? You are acting weird today.” Mina asked and I couldn’t agree more.

“I’m okay. Just a little pain here in my chest. Hyunsik, could you send me home?” She turned to him and grabbed his arm.

“I can send you home.”, I said, leaning forward but she shook her head no.

“You go and send Mina. Make sure she arrived safely. Bye, Mina. See you tomorrow.” She smiled and hurriedly rose up from her seat, dragging away Hyunsik with her.

“Did she changed her mind already?” Mina talked to herself and I turned to her.

“About what?”

“She used to hate the idea of being paired with Hyunsik. She had never once asked him to send her home. That’s weird.”

I stared at the door where both of them had disappeared. What happened, Ji Hyun? I wonder what made she become persistent to set the distance between us.

That wasn’t the last time she acted like that. Few days later, we’re supposed to have a meeting together but Mina came instead of her. That made me feel hurt because she’s really avoiding me. I went to her apartment, but she won’t budge to answer the door. I called her but she never pick up, and of course my messages was left unreplied. I need to meet her. I need to clarify this.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..........................................

Ji Hyun’s POV

It was hard for me too. I feel bad for avoiding him and again, it was unfair for him. But what could I do? When Mina is head over heels for him.

“You see, he was a great man. My heart fluttered whenever I see him. I get excited at the mere mention of his name.” Mina said with clasped hands and dreamy eyes.

“Good for you then. But don’t hope too much. I don’t want you to get hurt.” I stated carefully while waiting for her reaction.

“I can’t imagine him with someone else. It’s upsetting.”

“What if..he already had someone in mind?” , I asked, hoping that she wouldn’t get offended.

“Well, it can’t be helped then. As long as it’s not you then it’s okay. Because if it’s you, my poor heart can’t take it.” She smiled with a smile that scream i-hope-it-would-never-happen.

I sighed when I remember that. How could I hurt her feelings? She was not a mere friend to me. She is that one friend who stayed during my worst, and did everything she can to see me happy. She would be the one standing by me even the whole world turned their backs on me. She made me think of my late sister and I couldn’t imagine living without her.

My phone beeped, and I was brought back to the reality.

Answer my call or I’ll barge into your apartment.

I sighed upon his message and my phone rang with his name on the screen. I slide to answer, didn’t want to made him wait any longer. Baekhyun is someone who will do as he say and I wouldn’t want that to happen.

“Finally.”, That was his first greet.

“What’s wrong?”, I asked lazily.

“I miss you.”

I couldn’t hide my smile upon hearing that. I miss you too.

“What’s wrong with you?” He asked and I let out a small sigh.

“Nothing’s wrong. I told you I don’t want to do this. But you insisted.”

“We both knew the feelings is mutual.”, His voice sounds more to a whisper.

I paused , searching for the right sentence to answer.

“You know, it was a great memory for me. All those times we spent together. You are my first love, you see. First love is said to be special, and only good things are associated with it. All are sweet and fluttering. But that’s it. I would like it to stay that way. If we go on now, it wouldn’t be as sweet anymore. There will be conflict and hurt everywhere and it will stay in our memory as a hurtful experience.”

He didn’t respond that I thought he had hang up or fallen asleep.

“If you keep doing this, I would get more confused. Won’t you tell me what happened?”

He spoke after a pause. Seems like he won’t give up and I think he might had catch on that something was wrong. Should I tell him?

“ Ji Hyun, can’t you tell me the reason behind your act? So that I could understand.”, He pleaded when I didn’t say anything. I paused again, inhaling some courage before I continued.

“Mina.. She like you.” I blurted and it was a long silence between us. I took this as a gesture to keep talking, so I did.

“She really likes you. She waited each day to see your face and at the mere mention of you made her excited. That’s how much she likes you. How could I go to you when I knew her feelings? She wasn’t merely a friend to me, she’s a family. I can’t go on pretending I don’t know her feelings…”

I paused as I swallowed the pain in my throats. My vision is getting blurred by my tears and my voice started to crack.

“…If she know about this, she’ll be hurt and in great shock. I can’t hurt her like this.”

I sniffles away my tears, waiting for his response.

“You’re still the kind Ji Hyun I know and I’m glad for that. Thanks for telling me. That way, I could understand your act. I get it what you’re trying to say, but you need to consider yourself too. She would be hurt, of course. But that’s the process of being adult, and you can’t stop that. Everyone went through heartbreak, so do you. One thing you should know, my feelings remain unchanged. It’s you whom I like, it’s you whom I want to care for, it’s you whom I want to spend the rest of my life with and no one else could replace you. Take your time coming to me. I’ll stay here, so come to me slowly. I won’t push.”

I tried to suppress my tears but it escaped anyway and soft cry was heard.

“Are you crying now?”, He asked with a hint of worry in his voice.

“No, I’m not.” I lied with an obvious cracked voice and he chuckled.

“Great, you look ugly crying by the way.”

I chuckled at his joke. Silly jerk.

“Now, would you avoid me after this?”

I shook my head no, forgetting that he couldn’t see that.

“No.”, I answered and I can somehow sense that he is smiling right now.

“Great, otherwise I would have to annoy the hell out of you.”

“Go sleep now, Baek.” I stated as I wipe the tears away.

“Okay, see you tomorrow. I love you.”

I smiled at his remarks.

“I hate you.”, was my prompt reply.

“I know but I still love you. “, Was his last reply before we ended the call.

I smiled at his cheekiness. I felt that the burden had been lifted off my chest. Finally, I can sleep well tonight.