A Perfect Goodbye

THE TRUTH IN A LIE

“Ji Hyun, how’s my sister back then when she’s alive?”

 

Baekhyun turned to Ji Hyun, waiting for her reply. He brought her to the garden where he and his sister used to play back then. They sat by the river, under a shady cherry tree. It was a beautiful evening, the trees swayed gracefully with the soft breeze.

“Well, first of all she was a bright and kind girl. If you don’t know her better, you would never imagine she grows up without her family. She never complained, you know. And she always reasoned on that there must be something behind all of this. She never blamed you guys for abandoning her. She believed that you guys love her at all cost. And I’m glad she did that. I can see how your parents love her, I can feel the warmth of their love. And you too.”

Baekhyun didn’t even realized he was crying until Ji Hyun wiped his tears with her thumbs.

“I missed her, really. There’s a lot to say and I have not yet do anything for her. We argued a lot back then, and I haven’t really told her how I love her. I feel so bad to let her went through those alone. Until her last breath, she didn’t have the chance to meet us. I’m glad she have you as her friend.” , Baekhyun smiled a bit as he said that and he sniffles away his tears.

“And I’m glad you are her brother. You are a good brother, I believe. So far she talked nothing but how kind and caring her brother is, despite being a jerk of course.” Ji Hyun chuckled at the last sentence and Baekhyun laughed at her remarks.

Just then, Ji Hyun’s smile faded and she reach for Baekhyun’s hand. He turned to her at the sudden touch.

“What if your parents know about this? I bet they would be very upset, and shock to know that their beloved daughter was gone and that I’m a liar.”

Baekhyun paused while squeezing her hands in his grip. He know it would be hard for his parents, even he felt his heart crushed into pieces when he found out about this.

“They would be upset, but it will all pass. They will have to accept the fact.” He stated, trying to comfort her.

“Maybe they could accept the fact that your sister was dead, but not me who lie to their face.” Ji Hyun added, trying to maintain her smile.

Baekhyun stared at her for few seconds before he pulled her into his embrace.

“Whatever happens, I’m always by your side. We’ll go through this together.” He patted her back as he said that and he felt Ji Hyun nodded at his words.

She pulled away from him and she hold his arms.

“But remember, if you have to choose between your parents and me , you need to be by their side. No matter how, they are your parents, they raised you up and without them you wouldn’t be who you are now.”

“I don’t want to lose you.” Baekhyun’s gaze softened on her as he pleaded. He felt that something was off and that something’s gonna happen soon but he shrugged it off. Silently hoping it was just him and that everything’s going to be okay.

“As much as you don’t want to lose me, I’m sure your parents would feel the same. Don’t make them hurt. You’re the only one left for them now.” Ji Hyun said as she caress his left cheek. Baekhyun nodded at her words and he smiled.

“But for now, it’s not going to happen. They haven’t know about this. So just let me take this chance to be with you. By the way, I think I’m going to further my studies in music. I got the same place as Chanyeol. Are you going to transfer soon or you’ll just stay there? Last time you said that you want to transfer.”

“It’s a secret.” Ji Hyun laughed and he pouted.

“What? Are you going to keep secret now? Don’t tell me that you are going somewhere far. You will soon forget me.” He pretended to sulk and she giggled at his cuteness.

“I haven’t decide anything, Baek. I’ll tell you when I get one, okay? Now stop acting like a child. You are older than me, that’s embarrassing.”

“I’m just two years older than you, okay.”

“That’s nothing to be proud of.”

“I’ve got many secret admirer, you see. I don’t think I look that old.”

“Of course you don’t but you’re not a child either. Stop behave like one, it doesn’t suit you.”

Ji hyun rolled her eyes in annoyance and Baekhyun flicked her forehead as a protest.

“How dare you speak up to me like that? I won’t go easy on you even though we’re dating.”

Ji Hyun widened her eyes at him and cupped his mouth.

“Don’t speak so loud! We’re in public. What if someone we knew heard this? Remember, in people’s eyes I’m your sister.” She hushed him down but he pulled her hands away from his mouth.

“Relax, okay. We’re the only one here right now and I don’t think that uncle know us.” Baekhyun referred to an old man standing not far from them.

“Let’s just go home now. It’s quite late already.” She said as she stood up and Baekhyun soon followed. They walked side by side, hand in hand wordlessly.

“Can we drop by a café now? D.O messaged me that they were eating there and asked us to join.” Baekhyun stated as they arrived at their car.

“Sure, I’m quite hungry right now. “ She nodded before they enter the car.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

“So….where you guys are going to further your studies?” Chen asked while slicing his grilled meat. Baekhyun and Ji Hyun joined them for the dinner, and Chanyeol was there too.

“Well, I’m going to London. I’m doing my music there.”, Chanyeol stated as he took a sip of his drink.

“I think I’m going to do pastries but I’m not sure where yet.” D.O answered Chen and raised his hand out of the blue.

“Me too!”

“ I told you to stop following me.” D.O gave him a deadpan look and Chen dropped his hand right away.

“I’m not . I really like pastries.” Chen pouted at his remarks and D.O scoffed.

“ you are most likely to burnt the whole place while making pastries.”

Ji Hyun chuckled to see Chen pouted and she mouthed ‘its okay’ to comfort him.

“How about you Baekhyun?”

Chanyeol asked and all eyes are on Baekhyun now. Baekhyun glanced once towards Ji Hyun and he cleared his throat.

“Well, for now I’m going with Chanyeol.” Baekhyun answered and Ji Hyun nodded at his answer in agreement before she took a sip of her drink.

“Are you going to left your sister here all alone?” D.O asked and Baekhyun shrugged at his question.

“Just marry her already and stick to each other like a glue for the rest of your life.” Chen added and this made Ji Hyun spat her drink. Chanyeol who was eating choked on his food and Baekhyun’s ears turned red.

D.O smashed Chen at the back of his head in annoyance and Chen rubbed his head in pain.

“ You stupid. They are brother and sister for God sake. How can they marry each other?”

“I know, I know. I’m just joking. No need to take it seriously. I just said that because they look like much a couple rather than a brother and sister.” , Chen defended himself.

Ji Hyun glance at both Chanyeol and Baekhyun before a smile creep up on their face. D.O and Chanyeol didn’t know about it yet and somehow it feels funny.

As they were chatting, time flies so fast and it’s time to leave. D.O went to pay the bill and the others are waiting outside at the parking lot.

“It was a great dinner guys. Thanks for tonight.” Ji Hyun stated as she glanced at the boys.

“Why are you talking like this is the last time we’ll meet?” Chen said to her and she smiled.

“I just wanted to let you know that I’m grateful for tonight.”

“Aigoo. Such a sweetie. Come here, I’ll give you a hug.” Chen widened his arms, ready to hug her when both Chanyeol and Baekhyun went to hug him instead of her.

“We love you too.” Both of them said as they hugged him tightly and Chen gasped for air. Ji Hyun laugh at their childish act. Just then D.O came and he froze, staring at the three guys who are still hugging each other.

“What’s this? Did I miss something? Don’t tell me they are in love with each other now.” He turned to Ji Hyun and she shrugged.

“As you can see, they ARE in love with each other.”

“Am I the only one normal here?”, D.O frowned at all of them.

“Come here D.O. We can’t left you out.” Chen said as he tried to pull D.O to join them but D.O ran to hide behind Ji Hyun.

“That’s gross. I almost cursed. Don’t you ever include me in that. I’ll rather kill myself.”

They burst into laugh upon his words.

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………...............................................................

Baekhyun and Ji Hyun arrived home around midnight and before Baekhyun could open the door, Ji Hyun stopped him while holding onto his wrist.

“What’s wrong?” Baekhyun asked as he turned to her.

“Can I hug you once?”

Baekhyun raised his left eyebrow at her request.

“You’d been acting weird today. What happened?”

“Nothing. I just wanted to hug you. Can’t I? “ Ji Hyun pouted at him and he laughed.

“ You are very good in acting cute, I see. Come here. “

Baekhyun reached for her arm, pulling her into his warm embrace. He her hair, rocking back and forth. Few seconds passed and they stayed like that. Baekhyun loosened the grip around her but she tightened her arms around him.

“Let’s just stay like this for a while. “ She stated and that’s when Baekhyun realized her voice is trembling. He feel warm liquid on his shirt and discovered that she was actually crying.

“Hey, are you crying now? What’s wrong? Tell me,hmm?” Baekhyun asked as he patted her head. She shook her head no and Baekhyun tried to break the hug but she wouldn’t let him to.

“I don’t want you to look at me now. I’m a crying mess. Just comfort me like this for now.” She said in a cracked voice as she tried to suppress her tears. She buried her head on his chest and her crying got louder.

Baekhyun nodded anyway eventhough he was dying to know why she’s crying and he let her cried in his arms for a while.

As her cry died down, she wiped away her tears before breaking away from him. Baekhyun hold her by the shoulder and he peeked at her face. She looked up to him with evidence stain of tears left in her swollen eyes. He wiped away the tears that started to roll down her cheek again.

“I’m in a big trouble. Even your crying face looks beautiful to me.” He said as he stared at her.

“ I’m sorry.” She managed to speak even with her trembling lips. She was a crying mess and he was worried for that. The last time he saw her cried like that was when her sister died.

“What are you sorry for?” He asks almost in a whisper and she sniffle before answering his questions.

“Sorry for making you worry. I just miss my sister. So much that tears come unknowingly.”

Baekhyun felt that there’s more than that but decides to just believe her.

“It’s okay. You can cry on me. Come, I’ll walk you to your rooms. You need to rest. Crying drains energy, you know. You’ll feel better tomorrow.” Baekhyun said as he hold her wrist and opened the main door with his other hand. He brought her to her room and opened the door for her.

“Take a rest. I’ll see you tomorrow.” Baekhyun said as he released her wrist but she holds on to his fingers.

“Good night.” She said before she released the grip on his fingers.

“Sleep tight.” Baekhyun said as he step backwards, waving to her.

She forced a smile, a smile that doesn’t reach her eyes and wave back to him.

"Goodbye Byun Baekhyun.” She whispers as she closed her door but he didn’t hear that. Only if he heard that and hold on to her. Only if he know that would be the last time he see her. Only if he did because this is her perfect goodbye for him.