CH# 9

RIVALS
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Minho…” Minho heard his name being called out so he looked up from the documents he was reading and saw his Hyung fidgeting in his seat, something he had been doing since yesterday… Minho really wanted to ask if he was alright but thinking that maybe it had something to do with what happened at Kyuhyun’s birthday party Minho thought he should let it pass without much questioning.

The stunt his brother pulled at his best friend’s birthday party was indeed embarrassing but after Suho and Max told him that Kyuhyun asked them not to talk about it so Minho too avoided the topic in his friend's company and knowing how his Hyung got in silent mode whenever Minho brought up his flaws or Kyuhyun so Minho here too was pretending like nothing happened… just for his Hyung’s sake.

“Yes Hyung?” Minho asked Siwon, who was still avoiding looking directly in his younger sibling’s eyes.

“Umm… did… did you meet your friends yesterday? You know… like the get together you guys have everyday so… so did you meet yesterday?” Siwon asked with a lot of caution something which Minho was quick to notice.

Minho let out a long sigh before saying, “We did… but Kyuhyun didn’t join us…”

Minho didn’t want to start that topic but he knew why his Hyung was asking him about his lunch get together so Minho thought to enlighten his brother as much as he could.

“Oh… so that means you didn’t get to meet him…” Siwon said in a low voice but Minho was able to pick every word of it.

“Yeah we couldn’t so that’s why we met for dinner yesterday.” Minho kept going because in reality no matter how much he pretended that he was not interested in their dramatic life but actually he was dying to know more.

“So did Kyuhyun say anything…?” Siwon’s question trailed away at the end.

“About what happened at his party?” Minho asked and noticed the slight flinch his brother’s face experienced at his words.

“No… about what happened yesterd-” Siwon let out in his distracted state but quickly realize what he was about to say. “Forget what I said… it’s nothing…”

“What happened yesterday, Hyung?” Minho was not exactly cut out to be a businessman but that didn’t mean he couldn’t put two and two together… first his brother was fidgeting, which is a rare sight considering the charismatic Choi Siwon, then he talked about Kyuhyun himself, something Minho hadn’t heard for last two years now, and most importantly ‘YESTERDAY!!’ the party was day before yesterday so what exactly happened yesterday??

“Nothing happened.” Siwon replied but it was obvious that he was lying because Siwon didn’t know how to lie… and who could know that better than Minho?

“Hyung!” Minho exclaimed, his voice lacing with authority, making Siwon to look him in the eye and slip the truth.

“I went to his office yesterday…” Siwon started suddenly looking nervous.

“AND??” Minho pressed knowing there was more to the story.

“I kissed him.” Came a soft whisper but Minho heard it loud and clear.

Siwon looked at his frozen brother and panicked…

“I don’t know what got over me… I know I shouldn’t have but… I just-”

“That BASTARD!!” Minho’s exclamation cut him off

“Wha-” Siwon was indeed shocked at the outburst which he was expecting to be directed at him but somehow it wasn’t.

“That Jerk!! I wanna kill him.” Minho said as he got up with so much force that his chair toppled back and fell.

“No Min, listen to me.” Siwon tried to make his enraged brother to calm down but to no avail. “It wasn’t his fault… I am the one who kissed him.”

“No Hyung you don’t understand it’s entirely his fault. It’s my lunch break so I have to go and meet that Jackass.” With that Minho stormed out of Siwon’s office, leaving a dying with worry Siwon behind.

*=*=*=*=*=*

 

“Hey guys!” Sungmin cheerfully called out as he and Kris walked toward the usual table occupied by his friends. Sungmin getting back the greetings as usual quickly planted his on the seat beside Kyuhyun.

“Oh Kris came as well.” Changmin was the one who said that with his eyes twinkling with mischief. “Chanyeol was begging me to bring him here but I told him that Kris usually didn’t join us for lunch but now that you are here I guess I should call him, right?”

“What?! Oh no Hyung please don’t.” The panicking Kris readily pleaded out to the evilly laughing Max. “I don’t mean to offend you but your little brother is a little…”

“Over clingy?” Max asked with a raised brow making Kris to gulp in somewhat fear but the guff of laughter from Changmin had Kris confused. “I know what you mean bro!! So relax I won’t call him… I was only kidding.”

Kris didn’t know if saying ‘Thank You’ would be rude or not in this case so he ended up pretending to laugh along Max.

.

.

“Where is Minho?” Sungmin asked as he noticed that the younger boy was missing today. “Company work?”

“Oh no… I was just about to go and pick him up from his office when he called to say that he was heading home as he needed something from there and that he would join us here after that.” Suho explained for Sungmin’s benefit as he had already told the others. “I am sure he would be here soon.”

“Okay.” The word had hardly left Sungmin’s mouth when the door of restaurant opened and in came none other than the guy they were talking about. “Look Minho is her-”

The fuming in anger Minho quickened his strides toward the one oblivious guy in particular at the table and slammed down an old journal right in front of that guy.

“What the hell?” the startled Kyuhyun looked up from the journal to his friend who had his arms folded across his chest as he looked down at Kyuhyun. “What happened, Minho?”

“Do you remember what this is?” Minho asked in a slow intimidated voice.

“Yes.” was heard not only from Kyuhyun but Suho and Changmin too.

“Then open it and read the clause 43,” came an order from Minho.

“What?!” Kyuhyun couldn’t help but ask in confusion.

“Just do it!!” Kyuhyun startled at the weird behavior of his best friend just thought to comply with his order rather than enraging him more.

“What is this?” Sungmin couldn’t hold back and asked, eyeing the plain old journal.

Suho chuckled before turning to Sungmin and Kris to offer an explanation, “It’s ‘The book of Rules’ we made when we were eleven… it’s a book which holds all the rules of our friendship.”

Sungmin and Kris nodded before putting their attention on the pale Kyuhyun who had apparently already read the clause Minho has asked him to.

“Go on read it out loud,” came another order from Minho, who after getting tired of standing too long had finally sat down.

 Kyuhyun gulped and coughed before starting, “I swear that after k-kissing someone or getting a k-kiss from someone I would tell all other members within 24 hours.”

“So?” Changmin asked and Suho too looked confused but Sungmin’s eyes widen as the words sank in and a snigger slip passed Sungmin’s lips.

“Cho Kyuhyun here broke the rule.” Minho firmly stated.

“So what? We were eleven Minho… it was a childish thing we came up with… there is no need to get work up over it.” Suho said, trying to save the situation.

“Siwon Hyung kissed Kyuhyun.” Minho simply stated in replied to his friend’s long lecture.

“WHAT?!” “WHAT?!” Suho and Changmin exclaimed together as they turned to, trying to make himself as small as possible, Kyuhyun.

“Now I am with Minho… Kyuhyun how could you have not tell us??” Changmin asked with a continuously nodding Suho beside him.

“When did it happen? At the birthday party?? No wait… Max and I were with you until the end… so when did it happen?” Suho demanded to know.

“Yesterday.” Minho answered before Kyuhyun could even open his mouth.

“Yesterday?? Is that why you didn’t come to lunch?” Changmin asked this time.

“No… umm… it was after lunch hour…” Kyuhyun admitted in a timid voice.

“But we met for dinner yesterday and you didn’t tell us even then.” Suho accused.

“Precisely!!” Minho said. “You remember the penalty right, Cho Kyuhyun?”

Sungmin couldn’t stop laughing all this time because these friends were a little too over dramatic but Sungmin was not the one complaining because it was too much fun to watch this interrogation.

“What’s the penalty?” Sungmin asked excitedly as he saw Kyuhyun kept mum at Minho’s question.

“Whoever breaks the rule has to treat others of jajangmyeon.” Suho told Sungmin.

“That’s it??” Sungmin was quite disappointed to hear such a small penalty.

“We were eleven!! That’s the best we could come up with.” Kyuhyun told him with an eye roll.

“Fair point.” Sungmin admitted.

“Forget the penalty… well not exactly forget but putting it aside for the time being.” Changmin quickly corrected his words because Park Changmin was not known for forgetting food. “How did it even happen? How come Siwon Hyung kissed you?”

“Yeah I would like to know that too.” Minho said and Suho nodded to let him know that he was thinking along the same line.

“Well… it’s because… umm… ask Sungmin!” Kyuhyun suddenly pointed toward Sungmin making the latter to hang his jaws in surprise, he couldn’t believe that Kyuhyun actually threw him to sharks because the interrogation Sungmin found fun just mere minutes ago was not exactly fun when directed toward him. After trying to avoid the topic for a few minutes Sungmin gave up and ended up telling them everything.

“So you are playing cupid for these two?” Suho asked after Sungmin was done with his explanation.

“Yup!”

“Well I always knew you had hots for my brother.” Minho told Kyuhyun.

“What?” Kyuhyun was actually shocked to find that Minho knew about it, he always thought that he had his feelings hidden perfectly.

“Hate to break it to you brother but it was painfully obvious.” Max told him with a sympathetic look on his face.

“Technically speaking we knew you had violated the clause 17 ‘I swear I will tell all members about my crush’ but we let it pass all this time.” Minho told him with a cheeky smile.

“Well Thank You Very Much.” Kyuhyun replied as sarcastically as he could.

“But playing cupid seems like fun. Can we be cupids as well?” Suho asked quite hopefully.

“No thank you! There are only so many eyes I can scarify to be blackened.” Kyuhyun mumbled out while pointing toward his eye which had become a victim of his father’s fist after Kyuhyun had acted upon his so-called cupid’s advice.

“Well then Sungmin rest assure… if your cupid powers ever need minions to help out then we would be more than happy to help.” Minho told a laughing Sungmin.

“Good to know!” Sungmin exclaimed as he gave a thumb up to his friends making Kyuhyun to groan out in annoyance.

.

.

All earlier problems had been resolved so after much teasing to Kyuhyun from others, finally the time of departure loamed over them and Sungmin realized that it was now or never…

“I have something to tell you guys.” Sungmin declared loudly as he put down his chopsticks on the table and turned to give all of his attention to his friends and the scene he saw in front of him had him chuckling a little since all four of his friends, who had been chatting and laughing just a moment ago, had their spoons and chopsticks frozen in midway as they all looked at Sungmin… Changmin even had his smile frozen in place after the sudden out burst from Sungmin.

“Well then tell us. Why else are we all here?” Minho, who was the first one to recover, said.

“Um… the thing is… well I don’t know how to say… you see…” Sungmin had made up his mind last day and now he wanted to come clean to his friends… he was bursting to let out the truth but couldn’t exactly find the words to utter.

“Yeah?” Kyuhyun tried to encourage Sungmin to go on but seeing how all four of them were looking at Sungmin intensely and seriously, Sungmin ended up losing all his courage.

“Um… never mind it was nothing…”

“Oh for God sake Hyung!!! Just tell them already.” Kris who had tagged along with Sungmin today just for this moment couldn’t take the nonsense blabber his Hyung was uttering anymore.

Flinching at the strict order from his younger cousin Sungmin couldn’t stop himself and he let out, “I think I have fallen in Love.”

“What??” asked four different voices at the same time.

“I have fallen in Love.” Sungmin repeated his words and this time a shy smile lingered on his lips.

“That’s great news.” Kyuhyun indeed seemed most excited to hear it, knowing that Sungmin was engage to a girl he didn’t even love made him wish that he could find his true love soon… seemed like his wish came true. “But with who?”

Sungmin kept mum for a few seconds as he pulled out his wallet and took out a picture from it, looking at the picture and slightly smiling he said, “With an Angel.”

“Eww… too cheesy!” Changmin complained while crunching up his nose.

“Shut it Max.” Kyuhyun said while laughing at his friends antics and reached out a hand for the picture Sungmin was offering him. Just one glance at the girl his friend claimed to have fallen for and Kyuhyun’s breath hitched up. He made a huge effort to control his face expression and sharing a serious look with Suho he silently handed the picture to him.

Knowing Suho would need some time to get over the situation Kyuhyun turned toward Sungmin to engage him in a conversation, “where did you meet her?”

“The Musical play Suho got me tickets of… well that was the first time I saw her… she was the lead in it.” Sungmin explained, and he couldn’t believe but he was feeling a little hot around his collar.

“Oh really?? But you didn’t even say a word to us before.” Kyuhyun playfully accused him.

While on the other side Suho had his wide eyes fixed on the picture and Minho and Changmin, who had already leaned in and saw the picture, were looking at their friend with shocked expressions. Suho looked up and saw how Sungmin was looking down at his plate while smiling shyly as he was lost in the conversation with Kyuhyun so he turned to his friends and putting a finger to his lips gestured them to hold their tongues and not to spill anything. Kyuhyun who looked up just in time also got the message but Kris who had seen the whole thing just raised his brow at Suho. Suho gave him the same gesture and Kris understanding the situation gave him a nod to let him know that he understood as well.

“But Sungmin aren’t you engaged already?” Suho jumped between Kyuhyun and Sungmin’s talk.

Sungmin sighed out before turning toward Suho, “Yes I am and that is exactly what I wanted to talk to you all about… I am leaving for America in three hours from now because I know I am not being fair to Jessica nor… nor Kim Saeun-shi… so I am gonna come clean with Jessica and break up with her.”

Sungmin’s declaration left everyone tongue-tied until Kyuhyun gathered his wits enough to ask, “You are leaving just like that?”

“What?! Oh no!!... I am only going for a couple of days or maximum four days, just to clear this mess up and get myself at ease. I don’t wanna advance toward Saeun-shi knowi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter