#3: You Starring Me

Switched
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Ya...can you please stop? Please? Uljimma." I crooned, however, my plea was unheard in the midst of her deafening cries. I sighed and decided to just give up. Women and their unpredictable emotional fits. I understand it though because really, who wouldn't react that way if suddenly, you woke up to find yourself stuck in someone else's body?

I resigned myself on the bed and just looked at her. I mean, I looked at me. This was the first time I had the opportunity to actually see myself face-to-face and I don't know if it's something amazing or horrifying. Probably both. Hyun continued to bawl her eyes out without so much care to image. Gone is the prim and proper Seohyun. The woman (currently inhabiting my body) standing in front of me right now was throwing the most unimaginable kind of tantrum fit while inspecting my (or her) face in the midst of her mental breakdown. 

I just sat there like a lifeless being, still uncertain what to make of the situation we're in right now. Half of my mind is convinced that it's all just a dream, while the other half believes that I have gone completely insane. I don't know which side is winning and that's the least of my worries as of this moment. I am more interested and fascinated by observing myself through someone else's (particularly and literally, Joohyun's) eyes. 

Not to be self-righteous or vain, but since high school, I always knew that I'm quite good-looking. I am aware of the effect I had on girls, more so when I became a trainee. I used it to my advantage and it worked most of the time until this girl right here proved me wrong. I could go on and list down how amazing this girl is but I'd rather not travel down that road again (of how it all began between us) so I decided to resume staring at my face.

I always thought and I knew very well that my fans dig it whenever they get a glimpse of my "emotional/scarred" version. There's a reason why the best-selling singles of CNBLUE are all songs of a melancholic, broken-hearted man; but, it is only now did I realize that some viewers (be it haters or non-fans in general; just observant ones) were right: I am a crappy actor, at least when it comes to scenes which require dramatic skills. I thought just moping around and shedding some tears would do the trick but this moment serves as a wakeup call.

I leaned closer and observed myself (or Hyun; whatever; this is more confusing as it gets) with a hawk eye. I don't even look half as good as Jo In Sung, Kim Soohyun, Song Joongki, or Ji Changwook whenever they cry onscreen. In fact, I just look plain ugly and awkward. Coming from me, that kind of admission felt liberating and self-depreciating at the same time. Hyun's wails became louder by the second that I had to stop and shake her out of it.

"Hyun." I called out. The response was nothing more than a huff and a sob.

"Seohyun." Still, nothing but incomprehensible murmurs.

"Ya!" At least I got a glare?

"Hyu~n..." I said in an aegyo-ish voice. It's supposed to create a calming effect but all I got was a terrible, uncontrollable wail. I'm fed up dealing with such tantrum for the past twenty minutes. I could've endured an hour of this if only it is Seohyun being her usual self, but no, she's stuck inside my body and it's hella freaking me out to see myself act that way. As much as it is a known fact that I believe I am handsome, looking at my tear-stained face and puffy red eyes kills that image. It's a disgusting sight I'd rather not see. How Seo Joohyun found that "cute" and "endearing" will always remain a mystery to me.

"SEO JOOHYUN!!!!"

That scream put an end to her sobs and I finally had her undivided attention. I walked over to where she stood and gently wiped the tears. Her (or my? Aish. So confusing) lips started to tremble again.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to yell at you. Forgive oppa, please? Come here. Don't cry. Ssh." I said as I pulled her closer to me. She used to fit in my arms like a missing puzzle piece, but now that the situation is reversed, I feel like I'm trying to desperately hug a giant piece of wood. I've been working out a lot lately, trying to be gain some bulk for a role. It was at this moment did I wish I'd remain a couch potato. Hyun started crying again and if I won't put an end to this right now, it'll go on for another hour or so. 

"YA!!! Seo Joohyun get a grip on yourself! Please! Stop crying! It's not going to solve anything!" I said, exasperated. Whenever we end up in such arguments, this was the moment she'd look at me with those beautiful sparkling eyes, tear-stained face, and instantly, all feelings of anger or irritation would evaporate in thin air. However, this time, she looked at me and I saw myself looking at me and it only caused the opposite effect. I don't even know if I'm angry, horrified, or bewildered with this. Aish! Why is this so difficult to explain?!

"Stop doing that to my face. Please. You've gotten the point across. I know now. I'm a terrible actor. I promise I'll take your advice to practice crying in front of the mirror once we solve this thing, okay? So now, just quit with the tantrum and focus on what's happening." I said sternly. She slapped my hand away and turned her back on me. 

"This is more than just you being concerned about your face or you being enlightened about your horrendous acting chops Jung Yonghwa-sshi!" 

"Wow. Didn't think you realized that we do have a bigger issue at hand because as far as I'm concerned, you've done nothing but waste half an hour crying and banging my head on the wall."  I retorted.

"You know what? We don't have time to argue right now. Fine, I apologize for being such a girl and crying over finding out that I swapped bodies with my ex so now that we got that all clear, what do you suggest we do?" She replied. This was the first time she addressed me as her "ex," and I don't really know what to feel about it. It was always just "the ex-husband," "the almost lover," and so on and so forth, but never just an "ex." I gotta admit. Hearing it out loud kinda stings. Not that I'd tell her that.

"Yong..." she called out apologetically. I knew she saw right through me. I bowed my head and closed my eyes. I don't really know how to respond to that. I forced myself to get out of the upcoming emotional disaster brewing within and try my best to just think about our current predicament.

"It's fine. I'm fine. Nothing to worry about. What we do need to worry about though is how to reverse this situation we're in. What's the last thing you remember?" I asked.

"Nothing much except falling asleep on the train from Busan going back here to Seoul. The next thing I knew someone was banging the door, pulling out the covers, and calling me "hyung." You?"

"Same thing. Except I woke up having seven women trying to look for your phone under the sheets just to check your browsing history. So is it true? You read fanfics?" I . I never knew I had the capability to blush that hard until Seohyun's soul inhabited my body.

"FOCUS." She glared. I tried to keep myself from giggling. 

"We need a plan." She started gathering a pen and a notebook.

"I thought you said you burned that one?" I asked upon recognizing the notebook as the white diary I gave to her as a gift some time ago. When the breakup happened, she returned everything I gave her except that journal and the eternity ring (which she claims that she "lost" somewhere in Japan). 

"I thought you said we need to focus on our "current predicament?"" She snapped.

Before I could begin naming some suggestions and before she could even jot down possible courses of action, we heard voices from outside her room. 

"My unnies! They're back! What time is it?!" she asked frantically.

"A quarter past eight. Why?" I answered, trying to be as calm as  I could be.

"They're supposed to be out for another hour!" she complained.

"Then why the hell are they here now?!"

"How am I supposed to know that?! Hello?! Did your brain miss out on the past half an hour we've been cooped up in this room?!" she said angrily.

"I don't know. Call your manager!" I ordered.

"And tell him what? Manager oppa? Unnie?  This is Seohyun. Ah, ne. What did you say? My voice sounds weird? I'm not feeling well. What? I sound like a man? Ah...that's because it's not my voice but Yong oppa's. Ani, he's not with me right now. I'm him. I'm not playing around oppa/unnie. I really am stuck inside his body."

Do you even know how erted and twisted that sounds? You expect me to say that?! Any lie is better than the truth at this point!"she said through gritted teeth.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter