He Belongs To Me

Until You Said Yes [Sequel Collection for ESNE]

He Belongs To Me
4000 words
A combination of suggestions by CheesenCrackers and eine08


 

Kai has already told Luhan what he plans to do late this afternoon and evening. Luhan understands. Kai has spent his early adult life living with other hybrids and they are still his friends. Just because Luhan and Kai love each other, doesn’t mean that Luhan can have Kai one hundred percent of the time. He isn’t supposed to be that selfish. Luhan watches Kai tug a light hoodie over his head and sulks. The other decides in keeping the hood over his ears instead of wearing a beanie and is set in getting ready to leave.

 

Luhan is standing in the kitchen watching with an expression that looks a little too forlorn for Kai’s liking. “I’ll be back,” the younger reassures.

 

“I know,” Luhan says as though he’s affronted that the other assumes he needs reminding.

 

“Do you?” Kai teases.

 

“Yes.” Luhan turns around pretending that there’s something for him to clean or organize or, well, anything to so that he seems occupied. He doesn’t want to seem annoyingly clingy or anything, but he can’t help just how much he likes Kai’s company. Especially after a long day of doing completely meaningless tasks in his internship.

 

“I like when you sulk. It means you’ll miss me,” Kai states with a smile.

 

Luhan is lost in thought and doesn’t rise to the other’s jest. Instead, he fidgets for a bit and then turns around to face the other. “Kai?”

 

Kai is tugging on his shoes when the other says his name. “Yes?”

 

“Can I come?”

 

Kai raises an eyebrow and stares at Luhan for a moment. His face contorts to one of confusion and tries to think of exactly what to say to the other. His mouth opens but the correct words aren’t there. It’s not that he is directly opposed to Luhan tagging along, but he’s going to meet up with Suho and Baekhyun at a hangout that specifically draws in other hybrids. It’s not that humans don’t go there, but it’s rare and Kai’s not so sure that Luhan is ready for that. Sure, Luhan accepted him without batting an eyelash at the other’s oddities, but to be in a room full of hybrids when he’d only really ever encountered Kai?

 

“Forget it. Go ahead. I’ll see you when you get back,” Luhan relents after too much silence stretches between them.

 

Now Kai feels like . “Lu…” he whines.

 

“You already have plans. It’s okay, honestly. Maybe we can plan another day where I can go?” Luhan asks trying to ease the guilt he hasn’t really meant to throw on the other.

 

Kai knows he’ll spend the whole night thinking about Luhan now. He should be happy that his boyfriend wants to know every aspect of his life. This isn’t some case of Kai wanting to keep some part of his life to himself. No, this is just about treading carefully with things that have proven difficult for others.

 

“I’m meeting Suho and Baekhyun in a spot that caters to hybrids. It’s not that you can’t be there or anything. I just don’t want you to be uncomfortable,” Kai starts to explain.

 

Luhan’s eyes widen. He wants to meet the other two, but he hadn’t really realized that there was such exclusive places that catered to the, well – species. Perhaps he should have caged the reaction, but it’s too late now. “I wouldn’t be uncomfortable,” he tries. Luhan shakes his head rapidly and then smiles.

 

Kai scoffs. He’s already dangerously close to accepting the other’s company. At least in this he will still be spending time with Luhan and his friends. “Alright, come with.”

 

Luhan’s eyes sparkle a bit, which Kai has to admit, is quite worth allowing the other to come. Luhan quickly walks to the other side of the room to grab a change of clothes that he deems more appropriate. He hurries into the restroom to get ready.

 

Just outside, Kai rolls his eyes. He’s wearing loose jeans and a hoodie for heaven’s sake. Suho and Baekhyun are definitely not expecting anything impressive.

 

Luhan emerges just moments later. His hair is hand-tousled yet sculpted. Kai knows that the clothes his boyfriend is wearing still fall under the casual category, but he can’t help but feel completely plain standing next to him.

 

Luhan threads his fingers with Kai’s in one hand while grabbing his keys and offering to drive. Kai would have just taken the bus had he been by himself so the easier transportation is an added bonus. Kai lets Luhan drag him out of the apartment, inwardly laughing at how eager his boyfriend is.

 


 

Luhan inwardly lectures himself over how he has once again made some type of assumption about Kai’s world that is entirely untrue. He knows that Kai lived on somewhat limited means, however Luhan has grossly underestimated the place where the three had arranged to meet. It is a club of sorts, but it doesn’t boast loud music and reckless behavior. It is well designed within an older building boasting pleasant décor and promoting quite the relaxing atmosphere. The menu offers a variety of options even if the food is quite familiar. There is nothing intimidating about anything on the menu, nor does anything resemble fast-food. What Luhan further notices is that the patrons inside aren’t outwardly boasting the fact that they are hybrids.

 

Luhan expected such a place to perhaps encourage its hybrid occupancy to be a bit forward as opposed to how they were in the general public. However, upon joining the group of three, he realizes that the outgoing ones are the most rare.

 

Luhan sits at the end of a booth. To his right is Kai. Across from him is Baekhyun, who wears a mischievous smile. While his eyes are a bit small in size and definitely brown and not the yellow/blue that he was expecting, he’s eyeing Luhan in a way that has the older a little mystified. Suho is sitting next to Baekhyun and adjacent to Kai. Just like Baekhyun, there are no visible signs that he’s a hybrid, although Kai has never given any hints as to just what might have made Suho physically different. His boyfriend, however, has removed the hood of the sweatshirt revealing his ears, which stand at full listening attention.

 

Suho was quick to give Luhan a good first impression. He has been warm and pleasant during initial introductions. It seems he is as relieved to finally meet Kai’s new boyfriend and housemate, as Luhan is to finally meet someone who had to be important in Kai’s life. Luhan’s first impression is that Suho is mature and even-tempered, contrasting the vibe that Baekhyun is giving off. However, Kai did warn Luhan about Baekhyun’s hyper personality.

 

“It’s great that Kai lives with you now. I get a bigger share of the food and more space that isn’t taken up by that oaf,” Baekhyun states while smiling. “It’s a bit more boring, but only because Suho doesn’t like to play.”

 

“Not with you,” Suho groans. There was little he could do to control Baekhyun’s mouth and while he knew that Baekhyun intends everything in jest, he is worried about the first impression that Luhan might formulate. Baekhyun is definitely mostly talk and energy, even more now that there is someone knew to gain attention from, but those aren’t his only traits. Suho doesn’t want Luhan to question his or Kai’s sanity for hanging out with the rambunctious one.

 

Luhan is actually quite fond of Baekyun’s playful behavior because that means that there is someone around Kai to make light of things or at least keep him from being focused on the seriousness in every situation. Even if the other pushes buttons, Luhan can’t help but like him a little bit.

 

Luhan stays attentive to the other two for the most part. His eyes can’t help but wander around the room every so often. The tables are in a maze around carefully constructed half-walls that provide several sections of the room more privacy than others. Luhan wonders if he’s the only full human here tonight. He can’t tell without asking, but is very intrigued by those he know aren’t. He doesn’t mean to be rude by glancing. And it isn’t as if he would ever treat anyone differently. If anything, he wants to feel like he can seamlessly exist with everyone. But then, perhaps he should quit with the staring. Luhan blushes slightly and turns to look at his boyfriend who is fairly quiet considering he’s amongst friends.

 

“Woah, new face! What are you?” a new voice asks from somewhere above the table. Luhan looks up to see a very tall cat hybrid standing at the side of the table. His ears are the same as Kai’s in the triangular blonde white fur, however they’re just a bit fluffier. His hair, on the other hand is light pink - looking an awful lot like cotton candy. Luhan wonders if he dyes it since it doesn’t match his fur color. What is even more interesting is the white-blonde tail that is seriously nothing but fluff and being sashayed methodically behind the individual. Luhan tries not to gape at the hybrid while completely ignoring that the other has asked such an odd question.

 

Kai doesn’t ignore it though. He wants to hit the other for asking so blatantly. “He’s human,” Kai bites out.

 

“We don’t get that too often here, but welcome,” the tall one responds with a small smile. His eyes are a bit piercing while his dark eyebrows add to the affect. Luhan is sure he’s probably a nice person, but the contrast of the analytical gaze versus the fluffy pink hair is making Luhan’s head spin a bit.

 

Suddenly, Luhan feels Kai’s tail circle around his waist. He can feel Kai scoot closer to him, but Luhan can’t take his eyes off the owner of the fluffy pink hair.

 

“I’m Sehun. Have you had a chance to glance at the menu? Can I get you all something?”

 

Suho and Baekhyun easily order an appetizer and a few drinks. Kai is about to do the same when he realizes that his boyfriend is fumbling over what to request. Taking the initiative, Kai orders something for them to share. He almost breathes in relief as Sehun leaves the table to fulfill their order.

 

Thankfully, Suho brings Luhan’s focus to the small group by asking the other to talk about himself. Luhan eagerly recites the same information he’s become used to telling Kai. He tells Suho where he works and what his plans are. He doesn’t even hesitate in gushing about how Kai fits into his plans. Kai smiles to himself as he politely waits and listens. He likes that Suho almost stands in as his parent. Not that it would matter, since Kai loves Luhan anyway, but if anyone needs to approve it is Suho.

 

“How did you three meet?” Luhan asks after getting a bit tired of talking about himself.

 

“It’s natural, I guess. As a minority, we are somewhat forced together so that there’s someone we can relate to and share with. Baekhyun and Kai met in school…”

 

“Technically, I saved him from some bullies. Kai was kind of a wimp back then,” Baekhyun states with a shake of his head.

 

“Shut up.” Kai demands.

 

“No really. I mean, not that I blame him. Kids are when you’re different, but still…”

 

Luhan rests his palm on Kai’s knee and gives it a little squeeze to reassure him that he isn’t so easily entertained by Baekhyun’s way of joking. Or maybe it is to reassure him that whatever reasons the other might have dealt with in his past, he no longer has to worry about. Either way, Luhan is on Kai’s side.

 

Just then, pink-haired boy approaches the table with their order of drinks and their two appetizers. Luhan smiles cheerfully in gratitude for the food.

 

Kai’s ears twitch and turn gaining Suho’s attention. Kai never has a problem with Sehun. They are always amiable every time the three of them come to eat or just to talk and hang out. However, Kai is radiating with semi-contained annoyance. Suho watches Sehun slightly bow and walk away from the table. Luhan is focusing on his drink and eyeing the food, however, Kai doesn’t seem to realize this and is piercing his gaze straight into Sehun’s back. Interesting, Suho thinks. Kai has always had a little snap to his personality when threatened, but this is a clear-cut sign of Kai being territorial. They’ve all had their fair share moments where instincts overrode reason and the signs in Kai are more than clear. Suho only hopes that Sehun stays away from the table now that they have their food.

 

“So, Baekhyun and Kai met in school. And you?” Luhan directs at Suho.

 

“My dad is an instructor, while my mom is a counselor. She’s a hybrid and helped out the few that struggled as students. She knew both Baekhyun and Kai, as I went to a different school. She introduced us eventually. I graduated a year before Baekhyun did and found my own place. Baekhyun moved in with me the next year, dragging Kai along with him.”

 

“So, it’s been you three for a while now?”

 

“A few years,” Suho nods.

 

“I’m surprised you were so quick to accept my offer,” Luhan mumbles to Kai.

 

“It’s cause he was smitten with you. He wouldn’t shut up about you for weeks!” Baekhyun blurts out at a rather tongue-tied Kai.

 

This surprises Luhan. He was under the assumption that Kai hated him, at least up until some sort of turning point had occurred. He hasn’t asked Kai about when he’d come to like him. Instead, he’s only been grateful that the other does, in fact, love him now.

 

Kai finds Luhan’s hand beneath the table and threads their fingers. Luhan squeezes the younger’s hand and smiles. If anything, he’s delighted in knowing that perhaps Kai was only being stubborn about his feelings.

 

Suho smiles. Despite Baekhyun’s less than perfect timing in blurting out things that weren’t actually his business in confessing, Suho is happy that Kai has Luhan. Luhan seems to have an optimistic outlook on things, maybe slightly naïve in origin, but at least he isn’t jaded like quite a good amount of hybrids are – even if understandably so.

 

“More drinks?” Sehun interrupts suddenly. It’s only natural that he makes his rounds every so often. He isn’t staring at anyone in particular and just waiting for someone to give him an answer so that he can move on.

 

Suho is about to dismiss the boy when Luhan bites his lip and whispers something to Kai. Kai whispers something back and gestures to the right side of the building.

 

“Just have Sehun show him!” Baekhyun suggests. “Sehunnie, can you show Luhan where the restroom is and make sure he doesn’t get lost coming back?”

 

Kai stares at Baekhyun in complete surprise. He honestly can’t understand why Baekhyun seems so determined to ruin his life tonight.

 

“Sure, c’mon. It’s located in the back and is kind of easy to get turned around when you have to come back.” Sehun flashes Luhan an encouraging smile and waves him towards his direction.

 

“Thanks,” Luhan mutters.

 

Kai reluctantly unwraps his tail from around Luhan’s waist where it’s been this entire time.

 

Luhan scoots off the seat and stands next to Sehun. Kai is already taller than him, but Sehun is even taller. The reality of it takes Luhan back just a bit before he falls into step with Sehun as he’s led through the maze of chairs and small tables.

 

Kai’s ears are flat back against his head. He doesn’t even pretend to hide the scowl marring his features. He was ing worried about his boyfriend feeling uncomfortable around other hybrids and here he is suddenly worried that a hybrid is going to take off with his boyfriend. Kai fights every instinct to get up from the table and follow after Luhan.

 

“Calm down. Sehun’s not going to eat him or anything,” Baekhyun laughs.

 

“This is your fault,” Kai growls.

 

“What’s my fault?”

 

This time, the growl is legitimate and for a second, Suho is worried that the two are going to start fighting in public, again. “Kai, Luhan will be right back.”

 

“I take it things are going well if you’re this territorial,” Baekhyun adds.

 

This time, Suho does Kai a favor and smacks Baekhyun on the shoulder.

 

“What?!”

 

“You’re not helping.”

 

“But it’s fun. Look at how riled up he is! He wasn’t like this with Kyungsoo.”

 

“We all know that Kyungsoo was the territorial one in that relationship,” Suho states. “Kai never really got past feeling like they were better off as friends.”

 

Kai doesn’t want to talk about Kyungsoo. He wants Sehun to back the off and for his boyfriend to get back to the table.

 

“I’ve got to admit, Luhan’s pretty cute. Wouldn’t you say so? Definitely cuter than Kyungsoo,” Baekhyun adds as if it’s a completely casual observation.

 

Suho flinches as Kai’s nails bite into the wood of the table.

 

“If he kills you, then you deserve it,” Suho mumbles.

 

Baekhyun has heard the warning before and merely rolls his eyes. Kai hasn’t killed him yet, and he’s not going to. However, if he were willing to make a bet, he’d place his money on Kai doing some severe damage to Sehun. Perhaps it’s unfair to pit them against each other, but Baekhyun hasn’t had this much fun in a while.

 

Suho takes another bite of food and sips on his drink while inwardly praying that Luhan returns to the table in less than a minute.

 

Unfortunately, it’s almost two minutes before Luhan walks back into Kai’s view.

 

Even more unfortunate is the lingering presence of Sehun.

 

And what’s downright unacceptable is the hand that is on Luhan’s shoulder as Sehun directs him back to the booth.

 

A low rumbling sound escapes Kai as he straightens his posture a moment before hunching over the edge of the table.

 

“Kai…” Suho cautions.

 

Luhan is grateful that Sehun is there to steer him back to the table. The building is older and definitely a maze for first time visitors. He is pretty sure that if he comes back he won’t have any trouble finding his way around as he commits the layout to memory. He thanks the other as they walk back to where his boyfriend and his friends are waiting. Luhan is of the opinion that the night is going just fine until he’s within about ten steps of the booth.

 

Luhan sees Kai’s icy blue eyes, but they aren’t looking at him. His boyfriend is situated in such away that looks quite intimidating, especially when he’s never seen Kai look quite so focused. Luhan can see Kai’s hand, nails finding purchase in the tabletop as he glares.  Luhan’s anxiety peaks. He has no clue why Kai is acting like this and is afraid that there’s something going on that he isn’t aware of resulting in his being in danger. He’s about to say something, needing clarification when Suho’s voice reaches his ears just a moment before.

 

“Sehun, remove your hand!”

 

“Huh?” The pink-haired boy is dumbfounded as he looks to his hand, which is still on Luhan’s shoulder. He snatches it away as if Luhan's shoulder is going to singe him. “I didn’t mean anything…”

 

“Step back!” Suho shouts again.

 

Everything becomes a blur for Luhan as those intense eyes suddenly fix on him and his boyfriend’s form closes the space between them faster than is humanly possible. But then, his boyfriend isn’t merely human.

 

To everyone else close enough to watch, they’ve witnessed the lithe cat shatter drinking glasses against a tabletop. Liquid has spilled into what was left of the food as Kai moved over the table and across the space in a matter of maybe a second or two. His entire frame engulfs Luhan as he growls out his ownership and sweeps Luhan into quite the embarrassing public kiss.

 

Baekhyun has the audacity to clap.

 

Sehun seems to have vanished.

 

And Suho tries desperately to clean up the aftermath.

 


 

Luhan stands in the bathroom, back at their apartment, staring at himself in the mirror. He bites back a smile while tugging his bottom lip between his teeth as he thinks about how completely ridiculous Kai’s overreaction was. Sure, Luhan willingly admits that Sehun is handsome, but he’s not in love with Sehun. He’s in love with Kai. Of course, he’s omitted that first part when trying to reassure the hybrid several times in the car and maybe a few more times after they returned home.

 

He gives himself another minute to collect himself before leaving the restroom just so that Kai won’t see him smiling over the whole fiasco. When Luhan does immerge, he finds Kai lying in the top corner of the bed, knees pulled into his chest and undoubtedly lamenting how he behaved.

 

“Kai?”

 

Silence.

 

Luhan approaches the side of the bed opposite where Kai is and sits on his knees just within the edge of the bed. He stares at the unmoving figure and remembers just how stubborn Kai can be at times. Luhan lies down parallel to the other and stares at the ceiling for a moment.

 

Luhan is still staring at the ceiling when he feels the gentle tapping of Kai’s tail against his wrist. Luhan turns to look, but the younger is still curled up in the corner. Luhan shifts his weight so that he’s lying on his side and staring at Kai’s back. Carefully, he reaches out and lightly runs his fingertips from in-between Kai’s shoulder blades down to the base of his tail. He does this a few times repetitively while sometimes letting his hand graze a little further down the tail.

 

“I love you, Kai.”

 

“I don’t understand why I did that,” Kai whispers.

 

Luhan frowns. “I do. You think I wouldn’t lunge if someone tried to put his or her hands all over you?”

 

“But, it wasn’t like that. Not really.”

 

“If you think I’m mad or disappointed in you, you’re wrong.” Luhan moves his hand beneath Kai’s shirt so that he can make the same reassuring along the other’s skin. It takes a few moments, but finally he can feel Kai starting to relax. Luhan maneuvers closer to the hybrid and pulls his shirt up to expose the lower part of his back. Luhan moves forward and kisses the bare skin there.

 

A small whine escapes from Kai’s lips.

 

“At least you didn’t actually attack anyone. You could have easy pounced on Sehun, but you didn’t.”

 

Kai cringes at hearing the other hybrid’s name. Luhan notices the slight tightening of muscles and feels a little apologetic.

 

Giving up on his slow reassurances, Luhan wraps his arm around the other’s waist and pulls the other until Kai is situated with his back against Luhan’s chest. Luhan might not be the same height, but not so much that spooning the other is awkward. Luhan kisses Kai’s shoulder while hugging the other tight.

 

“You can pounce on me whenever you want,” Luhan whispers.

 

Kai groans but can’t help the following huff of laughter. He lets his tail curl around Luhan’s leg and purposefully presses his back closer to the other. The constant rhythm of Luhan’s breath against his skin feels like a methodic caress. Kai relaxes almost instantly as the stress of the evening is finally allowed to escape. He can feel fatigue taking its place and he closes his eyes in acceptance of the coming slumber.

 

“I love you too,” Kai mumbles.

 

“I know.” Luhan smiles against Kai’s shoulder so the other can feel the warmth in the expression.

 

At least here, in their tiny closed off world, Kai doesn’t have to worry about anything. Luhan is with him, holding him. Luhan is his.

 


 

Yeah, Kai, keep your boyfriend from going to Sehun. ;)