Ice Cream and Rainy Afternoons Pt.1

Until You Said Yes [Sequel Collection for ESNE]

A/N - I promised to write more LuKai before giving a side pairing a chapter. Five chapters later and I'm ready to show all of you BaekYeol's story! Please enjoy. Due to it being over 13000 words, it has been split into part 1 and part 2. Thanks for reading!

Ice Cream and Rainy Afternoons Part 1
6600+ words
BaekYeol Side Pairing


It is the kind of cold afternoon where the sun has tried its best all day but can't seem to warm things up. The temperature aids in Baekhyun’s rush of adrenaline. The half-feline is running down the sidewalk because if he is late again, there are two beings who will probably kill him. The first is Suho, because well - when he promises Suho something he really better come through. The second is Chen because the last time Baekhyun was late, things had not gone so well for the other. This time, Baekhyun is sprinting down the street as though someone’s life depends on it. And while it isn’t a life or death situation, it is still an important one.

 

Suho had escorted Chen to his latest doctor’s visit. Suho thought that maybe Chen’s previous injuries had simply reacted to the change in the colder weather. When the other complained of his wrist hurting over and over, Suho had decided that they should have it checked to be sure. However, Suho already had to rearrange his schedule to accommodate taking Chen to the appointment and so it is Baekhyun’s job to meet Chen and travel with him back home. While Baekhyun may have found Chen out on the streets, anyone could tell that Chen is much more used to being inside and not out amongst prying eyes. Neither he nor Suho have left him to do much of anything on his own.

 

Baekhyun is currently making his way down one of the busier transit areas. The crowding is hard to get through and it takes a lot of apologies and sharp moments to navigate around people so that he can make it through the congested mess. He is used to the way the city works and it neither bothers him nor prods his guilt to push his way through the crowd. Baekhyun’s quick reflexes can get him through as long as he is paying attention.

 

Baekhyun’s attention is keen. He can maneuver and predict other’s steps easily and it helps him move through the crowd to gain seconds where he would have normally lost them. He can see to the next street corner, hiding amongst the crowd that will cross as soon as the light changes. It is his chance to move through and in front of the mass before everyone reaches the other corner. Baekhyun waits impatiently as the traffic moves, counting seconds until it is his turn to cross.

 

Baekhyun’s eyes snap up at the change in light. He doesn't care about the few shoves he makes to get in front of the crowd before he is nearly alone in crossing the street. The pedestrians from the other side of the street are hurrying across and he takes a quick glance to see his easiest way through the next mass of bodies. He thinks he has got it as he slices through and sees the curb and nearly vacant street corner ahead. He thinks he has found his path until his shoulder collides with someone coming in his direction. He is about to shout an insincere apology when he feels a hand shove him.

 

Baekhyun, quick on his feet, whirls to correct his balance as a growl rumbles out of his mouth. He can feel the anger inside and has to try to keep it at bay. If he loses a handle on his emotions, his eyes will show and while it is just eye color, it makes his hybrid status very evident. As his balance is perfected, he turns sharply to the stranger and yells a seething profanity. Sure, he has been making uncomfortable contact with people all the way down the block, but he hasn't taken to completely shoving someone off balance!

 

Baekhyun knows that if the other has heard him, he is choosing to ignore him. If he cared in the first place, Baekhyun wouldn't have been shoved. He turns to finish his way to the street corner, eyes still mostly turned back to the when his body collides entirely with what can only be another person, but feels more like a wall.

 

“What the actual-?’ Baekhyun starts.

 

“God, I'm sorry! Are you okay?” the stranger interrupts.

 

Baekhyun is ready to claw at the other because there is a hand touching his arm and he really hates when people directly touch him who he doesn't know. The only thing that stops him is the sincerity of the other’s apology. Baekhyun raises his eyes and is even more surprised by the height of the person. Baekhyun isn't extremely tall for a male, but this person is a veritable giant. Well, maybe he competes with Sehun, but he is still freakishly tall. “Human walls shouldn't be in people’s way!” Baekhyun yells.

 

“Ah, I… I’m sorry. I mean, you kind of turned right into me– err, but you’re right. I shouldn't get in people’s way.”

 

Baekhyun stares in disbelief. Not only has the stranger actually accepted Baekhyun’s criticism, but he also seems to embody it. Baekhyun continues to stare in confusion until the other realizes his hand is still on Baekhyun's arm.

 

“I'm sorry!” the taller rushes out after removing his hand.

 

“Never mind, it's okay. Whatever,” Baekhyun dismisses.

 

“No, it’s really my fault. I know I’m awkward, tall, and inconvenient.”

 

Baekhyun thinks it’s time he should get moving. This is already reeking of weird and he is not in the mood to inquire over his curiosity about why the stranger sounds so dejected. It was merely a walking collision, so what on earth is this guy’s problem?

 

“I'm running late. Bye,” Baekhyun states quickly. He tries to shift but the giant moves in the same direction, blocking Baekhyun’s path.

 

“Seriously?!” Baekhyun shouts in disbelief.

 

The taller simply lets out a grunt before moving back to let Baekhyun pass. By now the light is changing and Baekhyun is back in the sea of people he thought he had moved past. He grumbles to himself and worries about the time. He doesn't have a phone and he is sure that he is going to be one dead feline by later tonight. It's only going to slow him down, but he turns around to see the awkward idiot standing back on the corner having missed his chance to cross in enough time.  Baekhyun can see him fiddling with a phone just near his pocket. Baekhyun sighs and clenches his jaw. To ask is just a waste of another moment, but he needs to know.

 

He approaches the other quietly. “Hey, um, do you know what time it is?”

 

The other turns in shock and stares down at Baekhyun. He pulls his phone out and touches the home button. “Three forty-eight.”

 

“I have twelve minutes or I'm dead,” Baekhyun mutters.

 

“That’d be unfortunate.”

 

“You're telling me. Thanks.”

 

Baekhyun turns to leave, again, and is stopped short by a question he cannot believe he actually hears. “Can I know your name, you know, for legacy purposes? I mean, it'd be a shame to not know your name should this be the last time… you know…”

 

Baekhyun gapes at the other. Legacy? He scoffs at the horrible attempt to get his name. “Baekhyun,” he mutters, but he can't for a moment understand why.

 

“Chanyeol,” the stranger returns.

 

This time, Baekhyun turns and runs as fast as he can. Maybe it is because he is late. Maybe it is because he literally ran into someone he isn't too convinced isn't a complete psycho. Maybe it is so that in the future, should the coincidence happen again, Baekhyun can easily deny hearing the name of the attractive awkward giant.

 


 

Chanyeol has felt a little less than alive all week. He can't believe he is so torn up about the recent news his best friend has told him but it has seriously wrecked Chanyeol’s confidence and ability to walk around as the carefree soul that everyone is so used to seeing. Chanyeol prides himself at being optimistic, happy and someone that most people look forward to talking to.

 

Chanyeol doesn't feel very optimistic now that the love of his life loves someone else.

 

Chanyeol sighs over the thought. He has been in love with the black and white tabby since he first laid eyes on him. How could he not? The boy looks like someone Chanyeol can protect and take care of, but the hybrid is actually quite strong and independent. He secretly loves the paradox. The smaller male has perfect elegant feline eyes, a round and pleasant face and a smile that just, well, lights up a room. He has jet-black hair, which cradles his black ears fantastically. His skin is white as snow and he looks positively adorable. The adorableness holds within it a fierce personality, a ton of independence, and strength that constantly surprises the taller. There is just something about the feline that had held Chanyeol’s attention and his heart. He, however, can never match the confidence that the other exudes. Chanyeol found, over the years, that he couldn’t bring himself to confess his feelings.

 

Chanyeol always knew he would date a hybrid. It isn't that he has anything against other humans, he just always finds himself more attracted to hybrids. It is more than that, admittedly. Chanyeol had grown up wishing to be one.

 

He was adopted as a baby by two hybrids. His parents, two moms to be exact, didn't like the idea of artificially going through getting pregnant if they couldn't conceive themselves. And well, they couldn't. Chanyeol’s birth happened at a perfect time for the couple, and neither had a preference for whether their baby was hybrid or not. The only one who wound up caring was Chanyeol.

 

He grew up feeling like the odd one out in a close circle of family friends, all of which have hybrid children. Chanyeol grew up knowing nothing other than ears, tails, claws and fur. He saw brilliant eye colors and cute personality traits that he only thought were normal, and so he mimicked them. His moms even got him cat ear headbands as he was growing up and let him play the part until they deemed that it wasn't right and that Chanyeol should just be happy with whom he is.

 

And Chanyeol did settle into his own skin, eventually. But, it didn’t stop him from believing that the right one for him would most likely be hybrid. That is, until the only being he ever truly wanted told him in confidence that he was pretty sure he is in love with someone. That ‘someone’ isn't Chanyeol.

 

Of course, he plays optimistic and happy for the other. He won’t do anything to sabotage his friendship. It hurts like hell. It makes hanging out with his best friend painful and awkward. A week since the news and Chanyeol has barely said a few sentences to his best friend. He can’t. It is just too hard.

 

He needs a distraction.

 

A big one.

 

It came with the choice of visiting a place he has heard of but previously had no reason in visiting because, well - up until this week - his heart was taken. He isn’t sure if it is a mistake that he is dressed up in an outfit that his best friend always compliments him in. He is pretty sure he should make choices that don’t have the other in mind, but it has only been a week. It is too early for Chanyeol to really move on. But he has to try, and that is why he is here.

 

Chanyeol pulls open the door to a dimly lit establishment well known to hybrids only. He knows he is possibly stepping somewhere he doesn’t belong, but no one has to know he isn’t a hybrid. It shouldn’t matter, he thinks to himself. His parents and a good handful of his friends are hybrids. He shouldn’t be singled out.

 

His clothes fit him like a glove making him aware of exactly how he should look and hoping that the mess he is inside doesn’t translate outward and override the effort he put into going out this evening. Chanyeol approaches the bar and takes a seat while taking in the ambiance of the place.

 

It’s crowded.

 

It’s crowded with beings that look anywhere from entirely animal-like to convincingly human. Chanyeol relaxes because that means he won’t have a problem due his non-hybrid status. His eyes roam the several booths and smaller tables until someone behind the counter pulls him to attention.

 

“What can I get you?”

 

Chanyeol turns on the bar stool and stares at the bartender. He is tall; he may even be taller than Chanyeol, which is a rare find. Chanyeol isn’t too sure that he is not completely obvious at raking his eyes up and down the hybrid. The man has lean physique, beautiful light colored fur over his ears, fluffy tail, and cotton candy pink hair. His striking facial features contrast all of the fluff and Chanyeol isn’t sure he has ever seen anything like him. “Surprise me,” Chanyeol lets out.

 

To his horror, the bartender laughs. “Just remember, you asked for it. You are new here so I’ll make this one really good.”

 

“You can tell?”

 

“I know everyone who walks through those doors. I don’t know you, so you are new.”

 

“I’ve had friends recommend this place,” Chanyeol explains.

 

“That’s nice to know. It’s rare for humans to walk in here by themselves though. Most of my human customers come with hybrid friends.”

 

Chanyeol’s nerves spike. If this guy can tell within seconds, Chanyeol’s not too sure he has made the right decision in his choice of place for the evening. He isn’t sure he likes that he has been pinned so easily. “I could be a hybrid.”

 

“But you’re not. Don’t worry, I’m not of the habit of kicking out paying customers,” the pink-haired bartender states. “You are paying, right?” he asks with a laugh.

 

Chanyeol nods blankly and hands the man his credit card so a tab can be opened for him. When the card is returned to him, a tall thin glass accompanies it. “There. Try that.”

 

Chanyeol ignores the glass for a moment. “How can you be so sure? That I’m not, you know..?”

 

“It’s a gift,” the bartender smirks. “I’ve been doing this for a while.”

 

“But all you did was look at me. Hybrids don’t all exhibit outward feline traits,” Chanyeol argues.

 

“Are you offended? Really?” the man leans over the counter slightly, looking at Chanyeol with a quirked brow and wide eyes. “Wow.” The bartender scoffs and leans back away, crossing his arms in front of his chest. “You are definitely a first.”

 

“A first what?”

 

“Forget it. Enjoy your drink,” the bartender dismisses.

 

Chanyeol stares at the other in confusion until the man moves to take care of other customers. He lifts the glass to his lips and sips at the drink. He is pretty sure that if he had taken a gulp, it would have kicked his . Still, it is good. Very good.

 

Chanyeol focuses slowly on his drink for a good few minutes. He is waiting for his nerves to sing and his inhibitions to fade a bit before settling into the atmosphere. He is here for a distraction. He is here to forget. He is here to temporarily leave his woes behind. He finishes the drink, staring at the empty glass on the counter while deciding exactly what he should be doing next.

 

“Another?”

 

Chanyeol’s eyes meet with the pink-haired man for a moment before he squints his eyes in concentration. “I want to know how you knew,” Chanyeol mumbles. He has to know just what it is that gives him away so easily.

 

“Okay, okay. I will admit that it is a heavy assumption; one that you backed up right away with your reaction. But, I’ll give you a test. How well do you think you know hybrids?”

 

“My parents are hybrids. I’ve been around them my whole life.”

 

The bartender actually looks surprised, again. “Okay. Turn slightly on your seat and look to your right at the set of booths across the room. There is one booth in particular that is occupied by five people. Four of them are hybrids while one is a human. Can you tell me which one is the human?”

 

Chanyeol turns slightly so that he isn’t gawking at the booth in question. He looks until he finds the booth where exactly five people sit. Right away, Chanyeol can see that two of them have feline ears, so they are off the list. However, three of them show no obvious hybrid traits. Only one of them is a human, but Chanyeol doesn’t have the slightest clue as to which it is.

 

“Not so easy, huh? Want me to tell you which it is?”

 

Chanyeol shakes his head. “No. I want to figure it out. Do they come often?”

 

The man shrugs. “Not always all five of them, together, but yes they are regulars.”

 

“Restroom?” Chanyeol asks. Inwardly, he hopes that it will give him an excuse to move through the room and get a better look at the group.

 

The bartender smirks. “Cut right through, but then you have to curve around to the right. It is a bit of a maze to get back there, but I trust that you’ll find it.”

 

Chanyeol nods. “And yes, a refill please, for when I return.”

 

“You’ve got it.”

 

Chanyeol stands up and walks towards the set of booths that take up a majority of the middle of the floor. He walks casually through and takes in a little more than just the table of five. His focus hones in as he gets a little closer. The booth is situated as a semi-circle. As he walks closer, the first occupant - whose face he can see - is one of the obvious hybrids. He is a calico with black ears and black and orange mixed hair. His tail gives away more of the calico coloring. He is seated rather protectively against a guy who is one of the ones Chanyeol is unsure of. Opposite of them his a white blonde hybrid sitting a few inches away from one of the other questionable occupants. Chanyeol can’t see their faces, yet, and so he is still mystified. The fifth occupant is the one adamantly carrying on conversation. Chanyeol looks at him directly when a wave of recognition comes over him.

 

He second-guesses, however. The familiar male is dressed far differently than he had been the other day, but then so is Chanyeol. He does recognize the facial features and the fluffy brown hair. The other has black-lined brown eyes, which Chanyeol admits are entirely arresting. He can’t believe that he is staring at the person who literally collided with him the other day, but there is something about the coincidence that makes him happy.

 

“You didn’t die,” Chanyeol states.

 

All five occupants of the booth look up at him in a mixture of confusion and surprise.

 

“Excuse me?” the one nearly hugging the calico asks.

 

“Him,” Chanyeol points. “Baekhyun, right? You didn’t die.”

 

Baekhyun’s eyes are wider than ever. He stares at the giant in utter shock. He knows he needs to say something, but he is rather dumbfounded at ever having run into him again. “I… I made it on time.”

 

“That’s good,” Chanyeol beams.

 

“Baekhyun. Who?” the blonde-hybrid asks with an inquisitive shake of his head.

 

“I’m Chanyeol. I ran into Baekhyun the other day. He was running late for something.”

 

“To meet up with Chen,” Baekhyun nods in the calico’s direction.

 

“Nice to meet you, Chanyeol,” the one next to Chen greets.

 

“Nice to meet you…?” Chanyeol trails off in question.

 

“Ah, sorry. I’m Suho. This is Chen. That’s Kai and Luhan.”

 

“Nice to meet you all. I was just on my way to the, err, restroom,” Chanyeol offers as an excuse.

 

All of the occupants give a quick nod as Chanyeol steps away from the booth. He knows exactly who the human is. It only makes sense. The two definite hybrids are seated, most likely, next to their boyfriends, leaving Baekhyun as the uneven number in the group. Despite how close they must all be as friends, Baekhyun is probably just like Chanyeol: the human amongst hybrids.

 

When Chanyeol returns to his spot at the bar and the drink that awaits him, he looks at the bartender with confidence.

 

“Figure it out?” the other laughs.

 

“Yes.”

 

“Who?”

 

Chanyeol shakes his head. “No offense, I’ve always liked hybrids. I mean, like-like them. I came here looking for a distraction and while entirely ironic, I think I’m going to try my chances with him.”

 

“With the human?!” the bartender almost squeaks.

 

“Mhmm,” Chanyeol nods happily. He can’t say anything will ever come of it. Hell, he isn’t even sure about his next move, but Baekhyun is the first person that has captured his attention since having developed his now crumbling crush. Plus, if Baekhyun gives him a chance, then Chanyeol won’t be excluding himself from the hybrid world by being with a human. Maybe above anything, he just wants to fit in with both worlds.

 

The pink-haired bartender stares at Chanyeol while holding in laughter. If his patron has correctly guessed the human, then Luhan and Kai are in for an almost laughable intrusion on their perfect bubble of existence. It could be possible that the guess is wrong. Regardless, there are two couples at that table and perhaps the even bigger laugh would be in watching the man chase Baekhyun. At this thought, the bartender walks away until he can laugh wholeheartedly amongst the crowd without letting on that he’s laughing at the man gulping down his second drink of the night.

 


 

This isn’t how Baekhyun wants things to go. He is happy, in a sense, but when he had originally brought Chen home it had honestly been about sixty percent for the calico’s well being and forty percent because Baekhyun wanted someone he could have fun with in Kai’s absence. Granted, he knew nothing of Chen when he had offered to bring him home to check on his injuries and the hybrid could have wound up exactly like Suho in his somewhat lack of playful energy. However, in the midst of recovery, it seemed promising that Chen had a playful personality and it would work in Baekhyun’s favor.

 

Nope.

 

Well, Chen does spend an adequate amount of time with Baekhyun. They are good friends now and they get along perfectly. However, when the sun goes down, Suho and Chen are attached at the hip and Baekhyun is, once again, left to his own devices to settle his boredom.

 

Unfortunately, that brings him right back to his same routine before Chen came and after Kai left.

 

What Baekhyun needs is more direction in life. He flounders a lot on motivating himself. He used to have an excuse, or he thought he did, but now that everyone around him seems to be improving - Baekhyun feels a little left behind.

 

Kai found Luhan, or perhaps the other way around, and now he is working and is far happier than Baekhyun has ever seen his best friend. Suho has finally loosened up a bit. He even has a certain sparkle behind his eyes from day-to-day, which is refreshing for someone who is usually so serious. Baekhyun wonders when it will be his turn. For so long he has been stuck in the same rut with his other two friends. Now, he feels lost.

 

Staring at the over-polished wood beneath his hands, Baekhyun is shocked out of his trance when a glass is pushed into his line of sight.

 

“What is this?” he asks.

 

“Your favorite drink,” Sehun responds.

 

“I see that, but why? I didn’t order anything.”

 

“It’s taken care of, don’t worry about it.”

 

Baekhyun looks up and stares at Sehun tired confusion. “Since when do you give out free drinks?”

 

“Since never,” the taller scoffs. “I said it was taken care of. I didn’t say that I took care of it.”

 

“Has anyone told you that you’ve gotten awfully snarky lately?”

 

“No.”

 

Baekhyun smirks. “You have. You used to be more, upbeat, or something. Now you always answer with a scoff or sarcasm. Is this because you’re still mad that Kai is dating a human? Or maybe because Tao is?”

 

“What they do doesn’t concern me. Besides, you are about to be added to the list of those choosing to mix species. Your drink was paid for by mister tall, human, and delusional down there at the other end of the bar.”

 

Baekhyun’s gaze shoots to the opposite side of the bar when he sees the last person he actually thought he would run into, again. This makes the third time he has run into Chanyeol and Baekhyun is more than unnerved by the constant recurrence. He sighs in tired defeat before recalling how Sehun described him. “What do you mean by delusional?”

 

To this, Sehun laughs. “He thinks you’re human.”

 

“Well, while that’s usually the desired effect of keeping things low-key, why does he think that? And how do you know?”

 

Sehun shrugs. “I called him out for being one last week and gave him a test to see if he could figure out who, at your table, was the human. Apparently, his guess is you. It seems he’s rather attracted too. He told me to serve you whatever drink is your favorite and put it on his tab.”

 

“Why?”

 

Sehun simply shrugs. “Oh haven’t you heard of that one fairytale? Human goes to hybrid bar and finds the one other human from across the room? Love at first sight.”

 

“You need to get laid or something. Really. Your mood needs an improvement.”

 

“If you don’t like the service, go to another club,” Sehun smirks, moving on to make another drink. He knows full well that there isn’t another hybrid club that rivals this one and that it is unlikely that most of his customers will choose to go elsewhere.

 

Baekhyun decides to ignore the sassy bartender. Instead, he takes his glass in his hand and gets off of his bar stool. He is not really sure what he is going to say or do, but he needs to do something about Chanyeol before this type of interaction continues especially on nights when Baekhyun is solo. He wants to be left alone to figure out his issues instead of being pestered by someone who doesn’t have the slightest clue as to what he is getting himself into.

 

Not that he is getting into anything. Baekhyun might not have any specific thing against humans, but he doubts that this kind of attention is what’s going to get him out of his rut.

 

He can’t keep Sehun’s sad description of a love story out of his head as he walks over to Chanyeol. If that is really what Chanyeol is thinking then he is more than a little wrong. It is Baekhyun’s duty to kill the other’s expectations before they go too far. Baekhyun nods to himself in thought and tries to come up with exactly how to let the awkward giant down.

 

“Hey,” Chanyeol greets with a smile.

 

The smile is slightly lopsided with the left corner of his mouth curving up just a tiny bit higher than the right. Baekhyun can’t understand why the other seems so happy. Was it really because he thought Baekhyun was human?

 

“This…” Baekhyun starts while holding his glass up a bit, “was nice, but unnecessary.”

 

“I’m pretty sure it was necessary. You were just sitting there with nothing,” Chanyeol explains.

 

“I came to think, not to drink…”

 

“You can think anywhere. A place like this hardly seems like the place to sit and ponder life,” Chanyeol states, his smile not fading in the slightest.

 

“That’s where you are wrong. In here, I can just fade away in the crowd. No one cares what I’m doing, with the exception of you, I guess.” Baekhyun places the glass on the counter in front of Chanyeol as if to say he is giving the gesture back and rejecting it.

 

“I didn’t figure you to be introverted,” Chanyeol states in surprise. From the animated way that Baekhyun had been with his friends and the forward way he spoke on the street, Chanyeol would have never figured the other to want to fade into the background.

 

Baekhyun rolls his eyes. The man in front of him knows literally nothing about him. “Anyway, thanks, but no thanks,” he says while motioning towards the glass.

 

“Wait! It’s already paid for and served. There’s no sense in wasting it.”

 

“I’m not interested,” Baekhyun states flatly.

 

“It’s just a drink.”

 

“It’s never just a drink,” Baekhyun laughs while rolling his eyes.

 

“Please?” Chanyeol does his best to pout and guilt the other into accepting.

 

Baekhyun has to hold in a smile at how cute persistent the other is being. Taking a deep breath and releasing it in a sigh, Baekhyun stares directly into the taller’s eyes. “This makes it twice I’ve seen you here. Why this place? Why a hybrid club?”

 

“I could ask you the same thing, except you have hybrid friends that come here,” Chanyeol retorts. “It came highly recommended.”

 

“You have hybrid friends?”

 

“Several. I envy them, honestly,” Chanyeol admits, even though he’s unsure of how the other will interpret his confession.

 

“Envy? Why?” Baekhyun asks, curious to a point where he is almost appalled at the other.

 

“Being a hybrid gives you several advantages. Their senses are keener. They are partially nocturnal. They have this incredible blend of animal instincts that humans just have no touch with. Plus, the visible traits are pretty awesome. It’s basically like being Spiderman without all of the gross cobwebbing.”

 

Baekhyun doesn’t think he can prevent his jaw from going slack if he wants to. He stares at Chanyeol in utter disbelief. “They aren’t superheroes.”

 

Chanyeol merely shrugs.

 

“You have issues,” Baekhyun mumbles.

 

“There’s nothing wrong with being a hybrid.”

 

“But you are a human. You should be happy that you were born ‘normal’.” Baekhyun wonders if Chanyeol has ever sustained mental injury.

 

“Hybrids are normal. They might be a minority, but they aren’t abnormal. My parent’s aren’t abnormal. They’re terrific,” Chanyeol spats, almost defensively.

 

“Your parents?”

 

“I was adopted. My parents are hybrids.”

 

“I’m sure they are terrific,” Baekhyun states carefully. He honestly can’t believe the way the conversation is going. He has apologized for offending someone over something that he personally is.

 

“Why exactly are you here - preferring to hang out with hybrids if you seem so anti?”

 

“I’m not. It’s just that most humans feel superior so it’s odd running across someone who doesn’t.”

 

Chanyeol nods. “True. I have coworkers who don’t understand my preferences, despite when I explain my background.”

 

“Preferences?”

 

“Well, I…” Chanyeol flounders a bit. He doesn’t want to risk offending or putting Baekhyun off, but he has already come this far in pursuing the attraction for the smaller male and perhaps being honest will work in his favor to how much he hid his feelings from his best friend. “I have hybrid parents. It just seems natural…”

 

“To date a hybrid?” Baekhyun asks, raising one eyebrow in disbelief.

 

“But, it’s not a requirement!” Chanyeol rushes out.

 

Baekhyun can’t believe what he is hearing. “So, why the drink then? If your preference is feline, why would you buy me this?”

 

Chanyeol’s expression morphs into a bright smile with echoing bright eyes. “Preferences aren’t absolute. I like you.”

 

“You don’t know me,” at all, Baekhyun thinks.

 

“So, have a seat, sip your drink and let me get to know you,” Chanyeol suggests. When Baekhyun hesitates, Chanyeol gives him an expectant pout. “A little company can’t be such a bad idea. If you want, I can sit here and you can tell me what it is you came here to think about. Besides, if you decide that you’re not at all interested, then all you managed to do was vent a little at a stranger and that’s it.” Chanyeol shrugs in emphasis and waits for Baekhyun to make up his mind.

 

Baekhyun stares at the giant and mulls over his thoughts for a few moments. Deciding to challenge the other, he asks him just one question: “Have you ever thought that everyone around you was moving on, living life, and leaving you behind?”

 

Chanyeol’s smile disappears for a moment. His best friend is in love with someone and Chanyeol is likely to become a low priority, if not forgotten all together. “Yes,” he breathes. Chanyeol looks down at his own drink for a moment before raising it up to take a sip. Before he can, however, Baekhyun continues.

 

“Well, I don’t like it. I don’t like watching everyone get what they want while I’m not.”

 

“What is it that you want?” Chanyeol asks.

 

“A reason, I guess. Everyone else has something pulling them through life or something that is motivating them to succeed. I don’t have that. I really don’t have much of anything,” Baekhyun confesses.

 

Chanyeol hums in thoughtfulness. He can’t identify with all of Baekhyun’s worries. Chanyeol can take care of himself and he has his own place and a good network of support. Suddenly, Chanyeol feels a little disappointed in himself for feeling so down lately.

 

Baekhyun takes a gulp of his drink. He has to hand it to Sehun. The hybrid always gets his drink exactly the way he likes it. It has a bit of a bite but it always goes down smooth. “And what about you?” Baekhyun asks.

 

“What about me?” Chanyeol asks right back.

 

“What do you want?”

 

Chanyeol debates his answer a few times in his head. Finally, he lets out a little laugh as though he can’t believe he is about to admit it. “Honestly, I’d really like it if the next person I fall for likes me back.”

 

Baekhyun laughs right back. “Doesn’t everyone?”

 

“I guess so.”

 


 

Chanyeol wakes up the next morning in his apartment, which is amongst the highest of the floors in one of the taller buildings downtown. He never draws the curtains over his bedroom window and so he naturally wakes up with the sun pouring in from outside. Had he chosen an apartment several floors lower, he might have considered it, but for the most part - no one can see in and so Chanyeol is hardly ever worried about his privacy.

 

He can’t help the fact that he can’t stop smiling. He had spent a good part of the night successfully pulling Baekhyun into conversation with him and while it took a lot of effort at first, Chanyeol was quite pleased in how the night went once him and the other moved into a cozier booth within the club. He had lightly admitted to the crush he was getting over while getting Baekhyun to admit the small bit of jealousy he had over his friends.

 

Chanyeol had gathered that most of Baekhyun’s life revolved around his friends, two of them in particular that Chanyeol had briefly met during their second run-in. And while Chanyeol had offered the part about liking his best friend, he had left out the particular part about him being a hybrid lest the detail somehow give Baekhyun any reason to doubt Chanyeol’s general interest.

 

And interested, he very much was.

 

Despite whatever inner misery Baekhyun had been seeking out in dealing with at the club that night, Chanyeol found that the man was quite confident. He spoke assuredly and directly. He had his moments of wittiness and definitely knew how to lash out sarcastically. Despite the fact that Baekhyun was definitely attractive, Chanyeol was more than a little taken with his charisma.

 

There came a point during the night when Chanyeol was worried that things were going to come to an end and he would have to rely on luck to see the other again. It took him the larger part of the last hour of their conversation to build up the courage to ask the younger if he could have his phone number. At first, Baekhyun’s immediate frown caused Chanyeol to regret even asking, but Baekhyun quickly took to explaining that he didn’t have his own phone. He didn’t tell Chanyeol that his friend Suho had the only cell phone amongst three of them and while Baekhyun didn’t feel comfortable giving out Suho’s number, he asked Chanyeol for his just to make the man happy.

 

“You will call me, right?” Chanyeol asked after writing the number down on a napkin and passing it to Baekhyun’s waiting palm.

 

“Yeah,” Baekhyun said hesitantly.

 

Chanyeol had placed all his hope on that promise as he watched Baekhyun leave the club. Waking up that morning to just the idea of seeing the other again was all the motivation he needed to start his day off better than he had in a little while. Standing up and approaching the near wall length window, Chanyeol looks at the city peppered in low clouds thankful that he has no reason to sulk through his day.

 


 

Baekhyun sits on his couch glowering at absolutely nothing. He keeps telling himself that he has no reason to be angry. He doesn’t even have a reason to be mildly upset. Yet, here he sits while his two housemates scurry about to get ready to leave for the afternoon.

 

“There are plenty of leftovers in the fridge, Baek. You don’t have to make anything, just heat something up later,” Suho instructs.

 

“Got it,” came his short reply.

 

“There’s dessert too!” Chen adds.

 

“Yeah, thanks.”

 

“We’ll be gone late okay, so lock the door. I know you always forget,” Suho reminds him.

 

“That’s because no one is going to rob a bunch of poor hybrids,” Baekhyun mumbles.

 

“Are you ready?” Suho asks of Chen who is currently looking around the living room.

 

“I can’t find my other shoe.”

 

“Did you check both of the bedrooms?”

 

“Why would it be there? I take off my shoes in here.”

 

Suho looks at Baekhyun with a smile before he points toward one of the bedroom doors. “Just check, you never know.”

 

Baekhyun can feel the insinuation that it is his fault Chen’s shoes are misplaced. Despite all three of them being half-feline, Baekhyun feels like the only nuisance.

 

“You don’t have to stay home,” Suho suggests while looking at Baekhyun’s sullen form.

 

“I probably won’t…”

 

“Promise me you’ll lock the door?”

 

“I promise,” Baekhyun growls.

 

“Found it!” Chen calls out, bounding back into the living room while trying to coordinate slipping on his shoe.

 

“Good. Lets go! We’ll see you later Baekkie,” Suho calls while ushering Chen through the door.

 

“Okay…” Baekhyun replies in nearly the same song like tone but layered in sarcasm. Chen and Suho are off to do ‘couple things’ and Baekhyun is left staring at the boring brown wall in the living room. It isn’t that he wants to tag along as a third wheel. Baekhyun is simply jealous.


Boredom and Baekhyun have never been good friends. It doesn’t take more than a few minutes before he is stretching over the sofa, finding an errant thread from the cushion to tug at and play with. When that loses its thrill, he moves through the apartment looking for other things to do. Sometimes he simply kicks objects around.

 

He hates the silence and the lack of anyone to talk to. Pulling on his own shoes, Baekhyun grabs the spare set of keys and walks out the door. He locks the apartment, like he has been reminded to several times, and puts the keys into his pocket. It’s a little bit chilly, but it doesn’t bother him for now. Instead, he takes to walking down the familiar street with both hands in his pant pockets as he looks and prays to find something to sate his boredom.


 

Read on for Part 2 >>>