I'll Sing For You

Until You Said Yes [Sequel Collection for ESNE]

I'll Sing For You
6900 Words
This flirts with a few prompts, but since it doesn't completely satisfy them, I will keep the suggestions on the list for now incase they inspire more specifically driven chapters.
This is technically a 'part 1' chapter. Everything that is brought up in this chapter will be continued into the next.


 

“I’m thrilled to announce that we just signed on for a project for a new artist. I can’t go into specifics, but our reputation seems to precede us and this is one of the first clients to request us specifically. We will be working closely with the artist to fine tune and create their first single music video and if that goes well, we’ll be signed on for much more with the artist and his representing company.”

 

Kai is paying attention from the back corner of the room. He’s involved in ways, but by no means is responsible for anything specifically. He is curious though, seeing as how Mr. Wu is excitedly preparing the team for the upcoming project. It must be a big deal, and for that he’s excited. Maybe it’s because of the excitement in the room and how easily he can feed off of abundant energy, but nonetheless, he pays attention.

 

“The only thing I can tell you is that the artist is a hybrid. As I said, our reputation precedes us and they feel comfortable signing us on for the project. I would like to prove that our talent way surpasses our acceptance-”

 

At this, Tao scoffs. Kai looks at him and wonders why. Sure, the two of them are the only hybrids working there, but that speaks volumes to the vast majority of successful companies where Kai had previously not been so lucky in acquiring a job. Kai’s ears perk up as if he can sate his curiosity of Tao’s displeasure just by listening. Kai notices how Mr. Wu looks at Tao, but the hybrid ignores the executive as he stares down at the ballpoint pen that he is lightly tapping against the table. The older continues emphasizing his expectations and delegating initial roles to each person in the room.

 

Kai’s attention is brought back as he is told to assist in anyway possible, but that he’s expected to make sure the client feels welcome upon any visits to the company in the near future. Kai suddenly realizes that this is what Tao might have been scowling over. They didn’t want to be something the company could flaunt. They want to do their jobs. Still, Kai nods and inwardly tells himself to pay extra attention from this point forward. This is his chance to prove his worth and capabilities.

 

With the meeting adjourned, Kai waits for most everyone to disperse while he looks at Tao. He wants to ask, to see if he is speculating properly, but what he sees is more than what he plans for.

 

Nearly everyone else is chatting to one another, backs to the company’s manager, which is exactly what Kai is sure the older is counting on. It is in this moment that Mr. Wu approaches Tao and whispers something to him. Something, that under normal circumstances, Kai would have heard. The muddled voices of everyone talking is creating too much noise and so Kai resorts to just watching. He diverts his attention only when the whisper turns into a quick peck on Tao’s cheek accompanied by the grazing of fingertips along the others arm. Kai has no idea that the two are involved, nor is it his business.

 

Kai leaves the room and quickly tries to divert his mind to the subject of the meeting and not the subsequent events.

 


 

Kai is still getting used to the building that houses the apartment he now lives in with Luhan. It isn’t the place that Kai had tried to find on his own. They didn’t choose it because Kai had found a bad apartment, but Luhan confidently assured that there was something that would suit them both better. While the building they now live in is upscale and a little pricey in Kai’s standards, it brings them closer to where Kai works and coincidentally brings him a little closer to his old home with his friends. Sure, it is in a wealthier district, but the proximity to everything makes up for it.

 

Luhan has never picked a place because it was somewhere he needed to actually ‘live’ in. It had been his first time looking at apartments to find a place where he could picture spending time with Kai. Luhan reasons that the time they would save on commuting will give them more time together. Not only that, but the spacious layout and amenities within the building gives both of them plenty of options to sate any boredom. In fact, if Kai can’t find enough to do around the apartment, he has an entire space downstairs in which he can keep himself busy. After sharing the cramped studio apartment for long enough, Luhan is happy that Kai can stretch his legs.

 

Kai is ecstatic to open the door and find Luhan walking towards him quickly, eyes glittering and smile ready. He easily accepts his boyfriend in his arms and lets Luhan kiss him soundly. Kai’s tail moves languidly with a little flick at the end catching Luhan’s attention and making the older smile even more. “You look excited,” Luhan observes.

 

“Today was interesting. Everyone at the office is excited and it’s infectious," Kai states while removing the dress shoes that he absolutely loathes wearing.

 

“Oh?”

 

“I guess there’s a new emerging artist. A hybrid, actually. Our company is in charge of his first single and everyone’s really excited. Well, everyone except Tao. Though, I’m not sure why.”

 

“Why wouldn’t Tao be excited about it?”

 

Kai shrugs as if it isn’t really important. “I don’t know, but I caught Mr. Wu kissing Tao’s cheek after our staff meeting. I didn’t know they were together.”

 

“Interesting,” Luhan says thoughtfully. “I’d be too distracted if you were at the office with me all day,” he adds in jest.

 

Kai scrunches his nose in distaste.

 

“Oh stop with that! You know neither of us would get anything done if we worked in the same office,” Luhan playfully lectures.

 

Kai merely smiles. He is about to say something more about their current conversation when he realizes that Luhan has the stereo on and one of his favorite songs is beginning to play.

 

Luhan is enjoying Kai's smile when the others eyes flash a light blue. Luhan can tell it's from happiness as he has mastered recognizing some of the emotional changes resulting in Kai losing control of his ability to keep his eye color normal. Of course, the eye color is the last bit of hiding that Luhan still needs to break Kai out of. Luhan loves all versions of his boyfriend, but treasures him when he's the most at ease.

 

Kai moves his body anxiously, twisting his ankle by the ball of his foot and rolling his shoulder subtly. Luhan's smile increases. "One of your songs," Luhan states in a way that indicates that if Kai needs to turn it up or dance then he should do as he pleases.

 

With a grin, Kai moves towards the stereo, swiping his finger against the screen as to raise the volume of the music. He closes his eyes and lets the music take him wherever it wishes.

 

Luhan loves the spectacle of it all. He thinks that perhaps Kai was born to be like this. He was born to move and to do so artistically. Or perhaps have the innate ability to feel music and understand it at its core. Luhan feels it too, but has always kept that side of him at bay. He doesn't mind dancing. He doesn't mind singing either. Life just seems to have a way of making other things seem much more important.

 

Still, as Luhan moves towards the side of the room to let Kai have his space, Luhan begins to let familiar lyrics slip out in a whisper. Sometimes Luhan forgets that Kai has excellent hearing.

 

"My ex used to sing," Kai blurts while making quite the theatrical spin.

 

Luhan stops his whispers and looks at Kai with wide eyes. Luhan can't believe his luck. He never wants to straight out ask about Kai's past and now he’s been given quite the wide open door to inquire.

 

"Was he good? At singing?" Luhan clarifies while asking.

 

"He was. Amazing, really. I don't know, but it always used to surprise me that he could sing the way that he did," Kai explains. He's still moving along with the song, which is perhaps why he isn't paying much attention to what he’s saying. Kai is just that comfortable with Luhan and it’s not as though he’s keeping secrets, he just never knows when to talk about things.

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“I mean, at first glance I don’t think many would assume he could sing like that. But then, when do looks ever have any say whether someone can sing?” Kai asks rhetorically.

 

Luhan wonders what that means, exactly. No, physical appearance means nothing when it comes to someone’s actual talent, but why did that seem like something important for him to bring up? “Was his singing what made you fall in love with him?”

 

Kai stops his movement entirely, but doesn’t look at Luhan. “Honestly, I guess I loved him in a way, but I was never really in love with him.”

 

“But you consider him your ex, so you must have at some point, right?” Luhan tries. "At least, maybe thought you had?"

 

Kai lifts his gaze and looks at Luhan. It’s a very confident stare, one that Luhan doesn't see very often. “I’ve thought about it a lot and it felt obligational. He is a hybrid and I am a hybrid and it made sense to be together, but it never felt like a binding relationship. It never felt the way it feels with you.”

 

“Oh…” is the only response Luhan can fathom. The admission creates butterflies in the older and his ego gets the smallest boost in thinking that perhaps he might be the first that Kai has ever truly been in love with. Then Luhan realizes that he hasn’t inquired about every possible ex. For now, they are just talking about one of them.

 

“You can ask Suho or Baekkie if you’re curious. I won’t mind. I mean, if you don’t believe me. But, Baek and Suho both sing too! They’re really good, so it was never about that. I don’t know why it didn’t really work, to be honest. Suho always told me that Kyungsoo really liked me a lot and I could see it in some ways, but he didn’t really try. I’m not sure if that makes sense.” Kai traces his foot against the carpet in thought. “It was like he just expected me to like him back. Everyone expected me to like him back. But, there was no romance… I guess.”

 

“Did you…? I mean, it’s not really my business… but…” Luhan starts to ask out of complete curiosity.

 

“Like I said: obligated.”

 

Luhan frowns. No one should be with anyone because they feel obligated. Not in a relationship sense and definitely not intimately. Luhan doesn’t say anything. Instead, he lets his boyfriend get lost back into the music and hopes that his thoughts aren’t dominated by any unhappy sentiments of his ex but rather of better ones that include him.

 

The song changes and it’s something a little more relaxed. A ballad. Luhan knows this song extremely well. Kai still moves in a transition that flawlessly changes from one rhythm to the next.

 

Luhan can’t help himself.

 

He starts to mouth the lyrics with no sound at first. By the third line, his singing is soft while his gaze is locked on an end table that is empty because the two of them haven’t completely filled up the new space yet. The chorus begins and Luhan nearly forgets that Kai is in the room because this song is one that he has sung to himself so many times before.

 

A verse spills out of him and even the bridge that follows is harmoniously paired. He is preparing himself for the final chorus. It involves a quick change in pitch and a note that Luhan never struggles over but must put effort into in order to achieve it properly. Luhan has his eyes shut to focus when his note is thrown off and his body suddenly shifts.

 

Luhan opens his eyes immediately to see whirling light blue orbs staring relentlessly back at him. Luhan can't think enough to move before Kai is kissing him soundly and pressing himself so intently against Luhan that the older isn't sure he can even remember what song he was just singing.

 

When Kai gives him a second to breathe, Luhan doesn’t stop himself from inquiring about the sudden intimacy. "Was I so bad that you needed to shut me up?"

 

But Kai's eyes are intense despite the light color. His brows are dark and frame the intensity nicely, giving him the potency that his stare needs if anyone is ever going to take him seriously.  "Where did you learn to do that?" Kai asks breathlessly while continuing his stare.

 

"Do what? Sing? I just like to," Luhan explains. He doesn't know how he is able to move his gaze from Kai’s eyes to the twin blonde ears at the top of the others head, but he does. They're at attention and Luhan thinks that it's somewhat amusing to see Kai so intense.

 

"I didn't know that about you," Kai states incredulously.

"And I didn't know you had an ex who liked to sing either, but you can bet I'm going to try to replace the significance of it so that when you're asked about people who sing, you bring me up first," Luhan retorts. Luhan smiles mischievously and Kai lets out a breathy laugh. "Am I better?" Luhan asks.

 

Kai has to think about it for a moment. It isn't that Luhan is better, but he’s definitely different. His singing voice is softer, more angelic. Kai can't think of the right way to explain it so he does what he knows best.

 

Luhan is impatiently waiting for an answer when Kai leans into him heavily, wrapping his arms around him and lightly brushing his nose along Luhan's neck. Luhan laughs in reaction, but stills when soft lips move against his skin moments before Kai at the prominent tendon.

 

"Infinitely better," Kai hums. The heat against Luhan's skin breaks the tether on his own self-control. Luhan grabs Kai by the waist to keep him from creating any space between them.

 

“Good,” Luhan grounds out.

 

It doesn’t take long before Kai is finding other things that motivate Luhan to sing.

 


 

“It doesn’t really matter. You can try whatever you’d like, but when it comes down to it you’re still the newbie. Not only that, but Mr. Wu gave you the task of making our new client comfortable.”

 

Kai scowls at the other. “I know, but shouldn’t we do something? I’m not just a glorified tour guide.”

 

“I’ve been here for over three years and I’m still nothing more glorified than Mr. Wu’s assistant.”

 

Kai stares at Tao as if trying to fish out information that he knows the other is hiding. Kai has never been very good at these types of things. He never has to fish information out of Baekhyun or Suho, and Luhan gives him information before he even has to wonder. This tentative ‘friendship’ between himself and the other hybrid is a struggle for Kai. “But you’re the boss’ assistant. That’s higher up than I am.”

 

Tao scoffs. “It’s nothing, really.”

 

Kai looks around the small room to gauge whether he has the privacy that he wants. He can’t hear anyone else within normal human hearing range. “I can’t imagine Mr. Wu keeping you from doing anything you’d want to. I’m sure you’re talented enough. He must see that. You two seem close.”

 

Tao’s black-framed cat eyes widen as he stares at the blonde. “He used to,” Tao admits after his gaze drops away from Kai’s.

 

There are too many question marks circling Kai’s head about his boss and the hybrid, especially after the quick kiss. Kai thinks that if the two are involved, that surely Tao could do anything to stretch his creativity well throughout the production company. Surely the other has had a chance to try different departments and have some roles in past projects.

 

But Kai doesn’t get the chance to ask.

 

Abundant footfalls and the sudden development of rapid conversation alert both Tao and Kai to the movement outside in the hall. It seems as if the surrounding departments have each left their respective offices to head towards the main lobby. Kai listens intently to the otherwise blur of conversation until he picks out key words pertaining to the new client that the company has been anticipating for nearly two weeks.

 

“Do you think he’s here?” Kai asks Tao quickly.

 

“If he is, you better get out there,” Tao recommends.

 

With a nod, Kai leaves the other to get caught in the crowd, which is most definitely filing into the front lobby of the company building.

 

Kai can’t see past very many despite his decent height. He tries to move past, but everyone is eager to see the upcoming artist. Still, Kai tries his best to move forward.

 

“It’s a pleasure Mr. Zhang. I’m glad you’ve taken a moment to come down to see us. We’d like to show you some of the ideas we’ve started to develop.”

 

Kai can hear Mr. Wu greeting the guest and knows he should be up there by now. If he is going to work his way through the production company, he can’t start by failing at the first task solely assigned to him.

 

“Where’s Kai?” Mr. Wu asks to those close to him.

 

And thankfully, Kai moves through the crowd quick enough to hear and respond. “Here!” Kai shouts. It’s loud enough that the last few coworkers in the way move aside and let him through.

 

Kai smiles while stepping into the space that is now available at Mr. Wu’s side.

 

Kai looks up to find his gaze returned by an intense pair of purple eyes framed by dark brows and perfectly sculpted textured dark hair. To say that Kai is taken aback and surprised would be putting it mildly. Kai has to control his breathing so that he doesn’t risk letting on that he has met this hybrid before.

 

“Kai, this is Mr. Zhang. He’s our client’s agent. And this is D.O.”

 

Kai has never seen Kyungsoo so done up before. He looks immaculate and intimidating. Kai knows that his personality can be that way, but to see it reflected in his looks is stunning. Kai’s gaze travels over the other at the brand clothes and shoes and doesn’t even flinch at the gloved hands. Kai knows exactly why they’re gloved and it doesn’t phase him in the least.

 

When Kai’s gaze returns to the purple eyes, he nearly regrets the tumulous look being returned towards him. He feels somewhat guilty, but at this time he knows it’s best if everyone act as if this is the first meeting.

 

Kai remembers to bow in greeting, making sure to make eye contact with Kyungsoo’s agent as well.

 

“Kai will show you around. You can ask him any questions, although inquiries about the project in detail you can direct towards me.” Mr. Wu then directs his attention towards Kai. “Bring them back to my office when you’re done. Thank you.”

 

Kai nods. Bottling up his nerves and apprehension, he directs the two in the direction he came, mentally grateful that all of the curious staff moved aside to clear the way.

 


 

“Did he say anything to you?”

 

“I had to show him around the office, Suho. Of course he said a few things,” Kai answers. He’s on his phone sitting in his and Luhan’s apartment. Luhan isn’t come home yet and Kai is thankful that he has a few minutes to talk to Suho first.

 

“That’s not what I meant. He didn’t mention anything about the two of you?”

 

“He wouldn’t. He’s an emerging artist and I’m working for the production company that is handling his first single, basically his debut,” Kai retorts.

 

“Are you okay with it?”

 

“If I was okay with it, would I have called you?”

 

“He may not say anything. Maybe the two of you can just act like nothing happened.”

 

“Suho…” Kai states as though the older is dumb to think it could be like that.

 

“You never know, Kai. He could have moved on,” Suho tries to reassure.

 

“Which would be great. But if he hasn’t…”

 

“You broke up with him for good reason. All you can do is act as professional as possible and hope that he doesn’t bring it up.”

 

Kai knows that the only thing he can do is act as if he has no past with the other. Still, he is nervous. Pausing for a moment, Kai tries to solve his next problem, but winds up asking Suho anyway.

 

“Should I tell Luhan?”

 

“That your ex is someone you will be working around? It’s probably wise. There’s nothing for you to worry about. We all know that you don’t want to be with Kyungsoo. However, if in the future Luhan finds out, it will be worse than you just presenting the situation to him up front.”

 

Kai nods, even though he knows that Suho can’t see him.

 

As if on cue, Kai can hear the door rattle. “Luhan is home. I should go.”

 

“Just be casual. There’s no reason to make this into a big deal.”

 

“Thanks, Suho. I’ll keep you updated.”

 

Kai no sooner ends the call when Luhan’s voice fills the apartment, “Kai!”

 

He’s happy to see his boyfriend, but he can’t believe his odds when the other has just found out about his ex not too long ago. That, and Kai has already excitedly told him about the new project at work. It is all just too much of a coincidence.

 

Kai walks out of the spare room and smiles at the other. It’s like a breath of fresh air to see Luhan even if the other looks tired from his day. Kai’s heart beat still increases. The need to curl up next to the other and occupy his lovers space is such an intense want of Kai’s every moment when they’re together.

 

Luhan takes being in Kai’s company almost like starting a new day. His day at the office might have been mundane and tiring, but with Kai it feels as though he’s got a second chance at the day. Sure, he’s still tired, but he is happy and it melts away any of his previous stress. He looks at his boyfriend’s perfect features: bright blonde hair, broad shoulders but lithe physique, dynamic jaw line and eyes that seem to always be looking into his soul. He can’t get enough of his boyfriend and mentally admits to his own greed towards the younger.

 

“You look a bit worn out,” Kai observes.

 

“Nothing more than normal.” Luhan eyes the long couch that they had obtained in replacement for the small one that Luhan had previously owned. “Sit with me for a bit?” Luhan invites.

 

Kai nods happily, tail flicking behind him and ears twitching in anticipation. Kai could spend lifetimes just being in proximity to Luhan. As the older sits, Kai lies across the cushions and puts his head on Luhan’s thigh. As expected, Luhan begins to finger comb through Kai’s hair while gently touching Kai’s cat ears as he does so.

 

“How about you? How was your day? Were you on the phone when I came in?” Luhan asks.

 

Kai nods, the movement registering against Luhan’s lap. “Suho.”

 

“How is he?”

 

“Fine.”

 

“I’m surprised you didn’t just go over and visit.”

 

“Wanted to be home when you got here.”

 

Luhan smiles to himself. He is happy that Kai seems to have the same preference.

 

Kai stares out into the room, looking at nothing in particular. Luhan had just asked about his day, but piggy backed the question with who he’d been on the phone with. Kai isn’t sure how to bring Kyungsoo into the conversation without it being awkward.

 

“Something weird happened at the company today,” Kai starts.

 

“Weird?”

 

“I met the hybrid. The new artist.”

 

“That sounds exciting. Why do you say it was weird?”

 

“Because it wasn’t my first time meeting him.”

 

“You know the artist? That’s very exciting!”

 

Kai sits up and looks at Luhan. “It’s Kyungsoo. My ex.”

 

Luhan’s face falls into a confused frown.

 

“I had no idea. He goes by D.O and I didn’t know it was him until today,” Kai continues.

 

Luhan continues to look confused.

 

“He didn’t mention that he knew me. Suho says it’s probably best if we both just pretend we don’t know each other. Professionalism, I guess.”

 

Luhan nods thoughtfully. “So, you’ll be working with him.”

 

“Yes, but my only role is to just show him around and I guess assist in things. I won’t be working with him as closely as others will.”

 

Luhan takes a moment to think about it all. “And this is the one who you felt obligated to be with?”

 

“Yes, but I broke up with him. I haven’t seen him since.”

 

“And he didn’t say anything?”

 

“No. Honestly. I could tell he recognized me, but he pretended not to, just as I did.”

 

Luhan nodded. He really can’t say much in the matter. It isn’t like he can forbid Kai from seeing any of his exes or from doing his job.

 

Kai nervously watches Luhan’s expression for anything that will tell him that the other isn’t okay with it. “You know I love you, right?” Kai asks.

 

“Of course!” Luhan exclaims. “It must feel like a small world. Are you going to be comfortable at work?”

 

Kai merely shrugs. “I guess we’ll see.” Kai returns to lying across the couch and on Luhan’s lap after feeling that there is nothing more that can be said about the matter.

 

Luhan can’t quite let go of the topic entirely. However, there is one thing that he thinks both Kai and him deserve in lieu of the situation.

 


 

Kai is carrying two cups of coffee down one of the corridors when none other than Mr. Wu abruptly stops him. Collecting himself from the sudden break in his stride, Kai looks up to his boss a moment before offering a small nod in acknowledgement.

 

“Mr. Zhang approached me today at the request of his client. I had no idea that you dabbled in dance. Apparently D.O has specifically requested that you come on board to choreograph the music video.”

 

Kai’s eyes widen in complete shock. He’s not sure if the shock has to do with the task requested of him or who had done the requesting. “Oh, wow, I’m flattered and a bit shocked.”

 

“Since it’s the client’s request, I hope you’ll accept. Usually a choreographer is brought in, but it’s actually excellent if we can provide this for the artist directly.”

 

Kai hasn’t had practice at truly choreographing anything in a very long time. He’s actually quite shocked that Kyungsoo even wants him to be any more involved in this. Kai looks at his boss and slowly starts to nod his head. “If it’s what the client wants, then I’ll do my best.”

 

“Terrific! Meet me in my office in an hour. We have a meeting for the overall concept of the video that you’ll obviously need to be present for,” Mr. Wu says while patting Kai’s shoulder in what seemed like congratulation.

 

The taller disappears down the corridor just moments later, leaving a still stunned Kai to look at the two drinks in his hand.

 

He can’t think straight.

 

His ex wants him to choreograph his debut video. Sure, Kyungsoo knows that Kai had previously been more than interested in dance, but why would he choose Kai over someone more qualified?

 

“Hey, the coffee's getting cold!” a voice boomed, bringing Kai out of his train of thought.

 

“Oh, sorry!” Kai steps further down the hall to the doorway where Tao is impatiently waiting.

 

Two feline eyes focused on Kai with suspicion. “Why were you just standing there?”

 

“Oh, um, Mr. Wu told me that D.O wants me to choreograph the video. I am a bit stunned.”

 

Tao looks outright surprised. “Well, congrats. You’ve just moved past glorified tour guide,” he says with a hint of humor.

 

“Thank you. Yes, but I’m very out of practice,” Kai admits.

 

“Why would D.O think you could choreograph his video?”

 

“I’ve met him before,” Kai lets out. He realizes that he shouldn’t tell Tao that they previously dated, so instead, he hints that the two simply met previously and nothing more.

 

“Lucky,” Tao murmurs, sipping at the coffee comfortably.

 

Kai thinks that it must be so, even if the idea of it all seems so unexpected and out of place. He can't seem to keep from feeling nervous, as the thought of becoming a very involved part of Kyungsoo's debut consumes his thoughts all the way up through the meeting and even when he heads home at the end of the day.

 


 

Luhan came home excited that evening. He has something up his sleeves that he hopes will take Kai's breath away. He has put a lot of thought into it; latching onto a few clues that Kai has given him about his past relationship. If Kai never felt like Kyungsoo had tried, then Luhan wants to make sure his effort is noticeable. If what the other had liked is romance, then Luhan isn't about to let Kai get bored with their relationship. Mostly, Luhan wants to make sure he romances Kai spontaneously so that it doesn’t feel like just a reaction to the recent reappearance of Kai's ex.

 

Luhan left work an hour faster than normal, hoping to beat Kai home so that he can successfully surprise the hybrid. Luhan took to rushing about until time for Kai to return to the apartment. Luhan decides to wait just inside of the kitchen for the younger to return.

 

Kai is a ball of stress as he walks down the corridor to his shared apartment with Luhan. He doesn't want to admit how stressful the pressure is. He wants to be more involved and to have a better role. If only it hadn't been because of Kyungsoo. Kai pushes open the door and kicks off his shoes right away. He doesn't even take in the fact that Luhan is already home and smiling at him from the kitchen. No, Kai takes to the living room, sitting on the floor in front of the sofa and immediately picking at his fingernails as his brain is still sorting through his thoughts from the day.

 

It isn't that he feels anything for Kyungsoo. No, he is worried that the other is trying to keep him close. Kyungsoo had always been the one to cling to the idea of the two of them, and while Kai had gone along for the ride for quite some time, he needed to find something that felt real - not just something that should have worked even if it didn't. Kai had seen that look in Kyungsoo's eyes before and he isn't convinced that his recent 'promotion' to choreographer is based solely on Kai's capabilities.

 

Luhan looks at his boyfriend with a bit of worry. It isn't like him to not detect or pay any attention to Luhan's presence. Approaching the preoccupied hybrid quietly, Luhan sits down on the carpet just in front of Kai. "Hey," he prods to get the younger's attention.

 

Kai looks up. He should have known Luhan would be there but his brain is preoccupied and he looks at Luhan as though the older can save him from his own worries. "Hi," Kai returns.

 

Luhan can see Kai's eyes turning a murky gray as if they are halfway between light blue and brown. "You okay?"

 

Kai scrunches up his face as if making the mental determination if he really is or not. "I am okay. Just... I was made the choreographer on Kyungsoo's debut and I don't know how I feel about it."

 

Luhan bites back his initial reaction in favor of being more supportive. "So, your boss saw your talent and gave you a promotion?"

 

Kai shakes his head. "Kyungsoo asked for me specifically."

 

Luhan bites the inside of his cheek. "You're not happy?"

 

"I am happy and confused. I don't know why he picked me when he could have other more practiced and professional choreographers."

 

Luhan catches up quickly, "you're worried that he's not making the decision based on the right reasons. Do you think he is trying to get your attention?"

 

"Maybe. I kind of broke his heart, I guess. It could be misconstrued easily that he made the decision for the wrong reasons."

 

"Do you want to do it? Choreograph?"

 

"I want to do something. If I do a good job with this then I will be added to the creative team."

 

Luhan reaches to touch Kai's tail which is moving over a small patch of carpet. "Then who cares why he picked you? Come up with an eye catching routine for the song and make sure that it shines through in the video. No matter what, people will pay attention to what you did and not why you were picked."

 

Kai looks at Luhan with a small amount of surprise. "You're not mad that I'll be working within close proximity to him?"

 

"Mad, no. Besides, I love you. And I know that you know it, and I know you love me back.”

 

Kai nods, “I do.”

 

“Alright then. Come, have some dinner with me and then I have a surprise for you,” Luhan states mischievously. He loves to tease Kai for just the reaction he’s getting now. Light blue eyes, twitching ears, and a dancing tail are all Luhan needs to see to know that the hybrid is anticipating what Luhan has in store.

 

Kai and Luhan nearly dance around each other in the kitchen as they work to finish the dinner that Luhan has begun. Even if Luhan was never properly trained to cook, he takes to showing Kai the things he’s learned to do. Kai is always eager and has already begun to pick up more and more things pertaining to cooking. The two even work together to clear away the mess and clean after their plates are emptied. Luhan realizes that these few short hours between work and sleep are the ones where the two of them do have aligned itineraries and exist in rotation around each other. He loves the way they contrast and compliment each other and he will do whatever he can to make sure that Kai feels the same way.

 

Luhan pulls on a jacket and slips on his shoes. “You might want to bundle up. Not too much, but we’ll be out for a while.”

 

Kai is very curious as to what is coming next. He pulls on shoes and retrieves his jacket and a beanie.

 

“You don’t have to cover up. We won’t be around anyone,” Luhan states while watching Kai.

 

“You said bundle up. Where could we be going so that no one will see me?"

 

"Up," Luhan answered mysteriously.

 

Kai still kept on his beanie and added a scarf. It wasn't too cold outside, but if Luhan said bundle up then he was going to do just that.

 

Soon he was following the other to the building's elevator. Luhan pressed for the top floor as Kai just stared in curiosity. Luhan led the way out of the elevator once they reached the top and turned the corner towards a set of stairs. "What on earth...?" Kai started to ask.

 

"Not exactly. Trust me." Luhan ascends the stairs with Kai on his heels and opens the roof access door.

 

Kai walks out onto the rooftop, a breeze makes him thankful that he has worn the jacket. But it isn’t the breeze that really captures Kai’s attention. There are candles. How? He hasn’t the slightest clue. Candles should have blown out from the breeze. Kai walks towards the closest one and looks at it for but a second before realizing that the pillar candle is electronic.

 

“Sorry, I couldn’t leave actual candles burning up here. I didn’t think they’d stay lit and I didn’t want to be responsible for burning down the building. It’s amazing enough that I convinced security to let me get up here,” Luhan mutters from just behind him.

 

Kai shakes his head in disbelief. “What are we doing out here?”

 

Luhan smiles brightly, his eyes shimmering from the multiple candles. “Stargazing.”

 

Kai lifts an eyebrow and turns back to look at the scene on the rooftop. There’s nearly twenty pillar candles glowing and in the center is a pile of blankets and even a couple of pillows. “You’re serious?”

 

“Yup,” Luhan says with an even brighter smile.

 

“But, we’re in the middle of the city. We can only see a few stars,” Kai objects. He isn’t really objecting to the stargazing, but more the actual success of the adventure.

 

“Okay, well it’s not just stargazing. In a little bit, we’ll turn off the candles because there’s actually a meteor shower tonight. I’m pretty sure we won’t miss things as they burn up in the atmosphere.”

 

“So romantic,” Kai laughs.

 

“It is. Very, actually. Especially when we have music and dessert.”

 

Luhan walks towards the mass of blankets and pulls out a container, which Kai assumes is the dessert. Next, he takes out his smartphone and fiddles with it for a moment. Kai suddenly hears the soft hum of music playing, but he can’t place where it’s coming from.

 

“Wireless speakers,” Luhan states. “Bluetooth.”

 

Kai just nods his head, happily overwhelmed. He moves forward, joining Luhan as the older sits and pulls out the dessert that he’d stashed away. Kai can tell that Luhan picked up their dessert from a bakery. There was just no time for Luhan to bake and slave away over something that looks so entirely exquisite.

 

The two of them eat, exchanging nothing more than shy smiles and fluttering eye contact. Kai has never been the receiver of so much attention, and while it is somewhat embarrassing, he enjoys every second of it.

 

It isn’t long before Luhan moves around to turn off all of the excess lighting. Minutes following and the two are settling against a fluffed up pile of blankets and staring at a hazy midnight sky. When streaks of light started to pepper the sky, both verbalize their excitement and point at the vanishing lights as if the other isn’t already staring at the same sky. And when the city quiets to the early morning hours, Kai finds his arm trapped under Luhan’s shoulders. His boyfriend heavy with sleep, Kai doesn’t bother trying to squirm out of the position.

 

He waits until the sky starts to turn from dark to navy blue, and almost lavender, before he takes to waking up the other.

 

“Luhan. Luhan, wake up.” Kai shakes his arm slightly, but finds that he is able to slip it out from underneath Luhan without actually waking the other. “Lu?!” Kai whines.

 

Torn between laughter and disbelief at how solidly Luhan sleeps, Kai leans forward and catches his slumbering boyfriend’s lips beneath his own.

 

Luhan has never dreamt anything so lovely in all of his life. He opens his eyes to wisps of blonde hair brushing against his forehead. Luhan is sure he is dreaming at first because had he not, he surely would have still been on the rooftop in the middle of the night. However, he is looking at blonde hair framed by a soft blue-purple aura. Mistaking the aura for the change in the sky from the nearing sunrise, it takes Luhan several blinks before the reality sinks in.

 

The reality that Kai really is kissing him - on the rooftop - at sunrise.

 

Luhan closes his eyes and returns the kiss.

 

“You have to wake up,” Kai whines, pulling away now that he knows Luhan is awake.

 

“Why?”

 

“You’ll miss the sunrise. And work.”

 

“Let’s call in sick,” Luhan groans.

 

“I can’t.”

 

Luhan opens his left eye and stares at the hybrid who is actually pouting. “You can. Do Kyungsoo wants you…” he starts, lifting a finger to point at Kai’s chest. “And there’s no way that Mr. Wu is going to that up just because you called in sick once.”

 

Kai’s pout doesn’t immediately disappear as he lets Luhan’s words sink in. “Fine, but get up because you’re not missing this sunrise. We can nap the rest of the day.”

 

“Sounds like a very ‘hybrid’ thing to do,” Luhan teases.

 

“It would be, but you still slept about a third of the night so it’s just plain laziness on your part,” Kai retorts.

 

Luhan pokes Kai at his side causing the blonde to squirm before overdramatically slumping down next to Luhan.

 

The two both direct their gazes to the sky and watch the colors lighten. The last of the stars, and perhaps a planet or two, disappear from sight. Kai yawns just before Luhan. It takes both of them to drag everything from the roof and trudge back into their shared apartment.

 

When all is said and done, including two phone calls, Kai worms his way into Luhan’s arms. It’s Kai’s consistent purring that eventually lull both of them into much needed sleep.

 


 

^^ I miss their casual touches.