In Vain

Until You Said Yes [Sequel Collection for ESNE]

In Vain
6200 Words
Another mash up of suggestions.


 

Luhan doesn’t mind the push and shove as much as he used to. In fact, Luhan has found the entire experience to be even more enjoyable lately. He already thrives in the loud music and the way the environment takes over every stressful thought in his mind, but it helps to not feel so lost in a sea of people when the most important one is right behind him. And that’s where Kai always is. He anchors Luhan when him and Kai actually get a chance to make it to one of the smaller venues downtown where several of their favorite underground bands like to play. Its an energetic and sometimes rough scene, but one where they both fair just fine as long as they have each other. Sometimes it’s Luhan who has his hand intertwined with Kai’s so that the younger can’t move away from him. Most of the time, it’s Kai’s hands around Luhan’s waist that keep them together during some of the more lively acts.

 

It is one of the things they share that allows them both to relax and feel a little less burdened by the world they are expected to survive in. The business world is mostly stress, but nights in the crowd are a well-deserved escape.

 

It is Kai’s idea to attend this specific concert. He has a friend who works security for events part time, even though he really doesn’t look the part. Still, sometimes he is able to sneak Kai in as long as he fades into the obscurity that is ‘general admission’. Tonight, however, Kai has bought tickets and casually mentions it to Luhan when they both wake up late in the morning.

 

Luhan has been pulling slightly longer hours with a new project at work. It is something that will allow Luhan the chance to make an impression towards what will hopefully lead to position advancement. However, the week of busy hours had led to not only an early bedtime Friday night, but also a late morning Saturday as Kai has enjoyed the extra hour or two of watching Luhan still sleep. He wouldn’t dare wake Luhan. Not if he wants his boyfriend to happily enjoy the night thoroughly.

 

Kai watches as Luhan blinks open his eyes and scowls at the light streaming into the bedroom. The shades are still drawn, but Luhan winces from the light around the edges of their bedroom window. “Still sleepy?” Kai asks.

 

“I could sleep all day,” Luhan groans. He turns over to lie on his stomach with his face buried in the pillow.

 

“You can’t breathe like that,” Kai laughs.

 

“Breathing is the least of my priorities…” Luhan grumbles into the pillow.

 

“That’s ridiculous. Breathing is a natural priority.” Kai watches with a smile, knowing that Luhan will barely last another minute before he turns his head to the side. Sure enough, with a yawn, Luhan lifts his head and places it back down, ear against the pillow and frowns at the attentive cat-boy sitting on the bed.

 

“Shouldn’t you be more sleepy?” Luhan asks.

 

“I slept the whole night with you. I’m wide awake,” Kai beams, the ears atop his head standing in complete attention.

 

“Lucky.”

 

Kai frowns. “You’re not sick are you?”

 

Luhan shakes his head. “I don’t think so.”

 

Kai leans forward, extending his left hand to place it against Luhan’s forehead. “You don’t feel too warm.”

 

“That’s good then.” Luhan takes to running his tongue along his teeth to get rid of the cotton like texture in his mouth from sleeping so long.

 

“Yes, good, because you can’t go to a concert tonight if you’re not feeling well,” Kai mentions. He waits for Luhan to register his words, hoping the other will be excited.

 

“Concert? Tonight?”

 

“I have tickets. Our favorite place.” Kai turns and moves off of the bed to return a moment later with a small white envelope. “See?”

 

Luhan takes the two tickets in his hand and stares at the name of the group and then looks up at Kai with wide eyes. “This is who we saw when you told me your name.”

 

Kai didn’t recall that tiny detail and his eyes widen in realization. “Oh, wow. I guess it is. I kind of forgot about that.”

 

“It’s okay. I’m glad we get to go out tonight,” Luhan replies genuinely.

 

Kai is happy that Luhan is looking forward to the outing even though the other still isn’t moving much out of his comfortable position beneath the covers. “Do you still want to sleep some more?”

 

Luhan shakes his head. “No, not sleep. But, I don’t wanna get out of bed yet either.” Luhan pats the mattress next to him while rolling so that his back is to the mattress and his opposite arm is bent back to cradle his head against the pillow. He looks so casually inviting that Kai doesn’t take more than a second to lay back down and pull himself against Luhan’s side. Within minutes, Kai finds himself falling victim to Luhan’s fingertips in his hair while the both of them fade into another nap.

 


 

Luhan doesn’t want to spoil Kai’s plans, but he’s of the impression that Kai has jinxed him. When he finally gets up just before noon, he can feel pressure in the back of his head and his throat feels a little sore. He hopes it’s nothing that a few vitamins can’t remedy. Luhan can’t really afford to get sick for his upcoming work week, so if he has a chance to get rid of whatever is attacking his system now, he hopes to. He’s only worried that a night out will make things worse, but he's even more worried about ruining Kai’s plans.

 

While Kai isn't looking, Luhan discreetly takes some vitamins and a little bit of cold medicine just in case. He smiles and tries to act as normal as possible even though when he swallows, it is uncomfortable. His head is continues to throb in pain into the late afternoon.

 

Kai's suggestion to go out to eat last minute causes Luhan even more worry, as he isn’t sure he really has an appetite.

 

Luhan dresses a little bit warmer than usual, excusing that while it might be cumbersome at the venue, outside is getting much colder these days. Kai understands, placing one of his favorite beanies over his ears and grabbing for a dark colored scarf. Luhan thinks they will both regret the layers during the concert but he's determined not to make his cold any worse.

 

They go to a restaurant that Kai is more familiar with. He has taken Luhan before, but much of Kai’s comfort zone lies outside of Luhan’s for the older hadn't any reason to keep a low profile like his boyfriend. Kai can’t resist the lure of one of the fried menu options, while Luhan sticks to something more conservative. Luhan picks at his food, thankful that Kai is obviously both hungry and happily distracted with the fried chicken.

 

“You want a drink?” Kai asks as his face lights up with the idea.

 

“Kai, I'm driving.”

 

“We will leave your car here and walk or bus to the venue. By the time the concert is over, you'll sober up. Come on, Lu. It's our evening to completely unwind.” Kai knows it’s rare that the two of them completely let loose and he’s not about to suggest that they go crazy, but before Luhan faces another stressful week, he’d really like to see his boyfriend relax.

 

Luhan looks at his blonde boyfriend who has mischievous puppy-dog-eyes. Just one or two won't hurt, he doesn't think. “Okay, but nothing too strong.”

 

Kai nods and orders for them when the waiter comes around.

 

“Kai! I said nothing strong!” Luhan wails at the order that had spilled out of Kai’s mouth.

 

Kai looks at him in mild shock. “It's not that bad. You've already eaten so your body won't absorb as much of the alcohol. You'll still be sober by the end of the concert.”

 

Luhan thinks to how much time will have passed by then and knows that it's true, but he's also worried about his immune system and the medicine he took and he really wants to keep a level head to get through the night.

 

When the drinks arrive, Luhan admits that they look rather appealing. Kai smiles in a way that Luhan simply can't resist and so the older takes to sipping at the concoction in front of him.

 

It's two drinks later, and being arm in arm with Kai as they leave the restaurant that Luhan thinks he may have made a slight error.

 


 

It's not that Luhan is drunk per say, it's that he can't focus without feeling like his attention is being pulled in different directions. He looks at Kai while they stand outside of the venue. He knows he wants to smile at him, but then someone nearby starts to talk loud enough that Luhan assumes he should be listening. About a minute into eavesdropping, Luhan realizes what he’s doing and turns his attention away from those surrounding him. He looks to Kai to see that the other is simply staring off at nothing in particular while they wait.

 

Luhan stares at Kai’s profile. A smile starts to grow on his face while he admires the hybrid’s profile. He remembers his first impression of the other quite vividly and while they weren’t wrong, they simply were just that of a first impression. Kai is so warm despite his inverted tendencies. He’s sensitive and somewhat timid, but he can be fierce when necessary and he can still take care of himself if need be. Luhan doubts he’ll ever really get past his awe that such a being is with him. Kai is everything he had never predicted and now doesn’t think he can ever replace.

 

It’s his boyfriend’s constant staring that brings Kai’s mind back from where it had wandered. When he’d first looked out at nothing, it was because Luhan seemed to be doing the same. Now, he’s more than aware that Luhan is staring. It’s only a bit unnerving because even he can’t stop himself from glancing at Luhan once in awhile, but he doubts Luhan has blinked in the past minute. Kai returns the stare at the same time that Luhan leans against his arm.

 

Luhan sees the light in Kai’s eyes and smiles a bit more. He doesn’t care that they’re in a crowd and that he normally isn’t one to instigate obnoxious public displays of attention. He leans closer - catching Kai’s surprised lips against his own. He can sense, from the rigid way Kai’s stance is and the lack of returned enthusiasm, that his boyfriend is probably a little surprised by the public display. Luhan doesn’t care. He stops moving his lips against Kai’s and instead murmurs for the hybrid to just kiss him back.

 

Kai does, but not the way he does at home. Not the way he does when their world is just the two of them.

 

Luhan starts to whine a bit when the crowd grows suddenly restless. The venue doors have open and the crowd is shifting to get inside. Kai steps back, but tries to smile at Luhan despite not feeling the most comfortable. Luhan scowls while reaching out his hands to keep a hold on Kai in case it’s the younger’s intention to put some space between them.

 

“Luhan the doors are open. Let’s get inside, okay?” Kai suggests in a whisper. He doesn’t think that Luhan has any perception that a few people around them have looked at the two with apprehension and possibly buffered disgust. Kai hates unfair judgement and would rather they not give everyone a reason to gawk.

 

“Okay, but stay with me,” Luhan pleads.

 

“I wouldn’t dream of separating from you. Just… let’s get inside okay?” Kai asks quietly.

 

Luhan moves to catch Kai’s left hand with his right as they stand in the crowd and wait to go in. Luhan pouts and can’t stop his hazy brain from feeling weirdly self-conscious. “Are you embarrassed of me?”

 

Kai looks, no, is appalled. This isn't like Luhan to doubt him, but then he did suggest that the older relax with the drinks and so maybe this behavior comes hand in hand with that.

 

“You don’t want to kiss me?” Luhan yells. His head feels heavy and dizzy and the thought of rejection feels more suffocating than anything else.

 

Kai doesn’t even know where to start with the older. Of course he does! Kai doesn’t think he’s ever done anything to warrant Luhan having such self-conscious doubts. Luhan’s inhibitive behavior might be slightly Kai’s fault, but he hadn’t realized it was going to backfire on him like this. “No, Luhan. That isn’t it at all.”

 

“Then why?!” Luhan asks dropping Kai’s hand while glaring at him.

 

“Shh! You don’t have to yell. I’m right here,” Kai states in impatience.

 

Luhan stands, staring at his boyfriend in both shock and anger. He’s angry because he’s confused and Kai isn’t immediately making it better. He’s in shock because he can feel heat behind his eyes that is either from the returning headache or tears, which he would be publicly mortified to actually shed.

 

Instead, Luhan whips around to face the door and stay in line and to put some mental space between him and the current situation. He feels like a moody teenager, which is not how he normally functions. Maybe, just maybe, part of his frustration is with himself.

 

It only takes a moment of wallowing in his own mind before he’s surprised by two arms snaking around his waist and pulling him back against a warm chest. Luhan feels a bit silly, but allows Kai to hold him.

 

Luhan feels more than hears Kai as the hybrid talks next to his ear. “You know I love kissing you, but you also know how I feel in public. I’ll give you all the attention you need when we’re not surrounded by hundreds of people.”

 

Luhan swallows thickly and threads his fingers with Kai’s as the younger's hands are still settled just near his stomach. “Don’t let go tonight.”

 

“And lose you to all of these people? Never.”

 

The promise is all Luhan needs to stop the previous commotion in his head. There’s still the looming pressure of an oncoming headache, but it’s lesser now and all Luhan really needs to fend off is the dizziness.

 


 

Kai keeps his promise, and Luhan adores every moment that they spend amidst the audience in the pit of people standing before the stage. They both ignore the more rowdy small groups of people and simply allow themselves to move how the crowd does, avoiding any drama. The only thing that would make it better is if Luhan’s headache would fully disappear, but it hasn’t.

 

Five songs in and Luhan is feeling dehydrated. He turns to Kai and mouths ‘drink’ before pointing in the direction of the venue’s refreshment bar. Kai smiles and follows Luhan through the crowd, still holding his waist. Once they make it to the back of the crowd, it’s an easy walk to the counter with only small groups of people occupying the space.

 

“Is your buzz wearing off?” Kai teases.

 

“I’m just thirsty,” Luhan laughs thinking Kai is incorrigible for implying that Luhan might need more alcohol. He turns to address the man working behind the counter when Kai speaks first and orders them both a beer.

 

“I thought the point was to have everything wear off before I drive tonight?” Luhan grumbles.

 

“There’s still more than half the set left. We won’t be out of here anytime soon. Come on. We’re inside, the show is great, and there’s no reason why we shouldn’t just completely relax and enjoy this.” Kai thinks that since Luhan has settled into the concert instead of getting upset, he would like him to stay this way as much as possible.

 

Luhan nods and grabs the chilled cup. He tries to take a sip but he finds that as he swallows the cool liquid, his throat struggles to aid the liquid down. Luhan reaches up with his free hand to the side of his neck. , he mentally swears. The gland near his neck is a bit swollen and sensitive to the touch. He’s definitely getting sick. On top of that, the drink tastes a little off, which he assumes is because of the oncoming cold and not that there is anything wrong with the drink itself. He takes another drink after the chill from the first sip has somewhat eased his throat.

 

Kai thinks nothing of the cringe on Luhan’s face. Cheap beer is hardly anything to write home about. In fact, he drinks his down rather quickly and tosses away the cup so that they can get back to the show. Luhan isn’t sure he wants to finish his, but after Kai’s quick disposal of the drink, he convinces himself to do the same.

 

Kai steps back into Luhan’s close proximity, taking his hand to lead him back into the mass of people. It will probably be impossible for them to find quite the same spot as they had before, but it’s of no real bother to either of them as they try to find a comfortable spot to watch the band.

 

It winds up being near the right side of the room where they’re facing the bassist. The speakers hum loudly and the acoustics of the room push the sound at them so that Luhan can barely think of anything else. He stands just in front of Kai, his back to his boyfriend’s chest, because really there is no space to be had. Luhan can feel the bass roll over his body while the alcohol runs through it and blissfully, for a moment, the headache is gone.

 

Kai smiles to himself while rather enjoying the way inebriated Luhan is behaving. Minus the outburst outside, he likes that his older boyfriend relies on him in these settings. He meant what he said about giving Luhan the attention he needs and with Luhan leaning pretty heavily against him, he’s not sure whether to interpret it as flirting or just comfort. Kai takes to running small circles against Luhan’s hip with his thumb as the two enjoy the obscurity they have in the crowd.

 

At least, it feels as if they go unnoticed until Kai senses unwanted attention within their proximity. He turns his gaze to the left to see two other males trying to talk to each other while exchanging glances in their direction. The taller of the two has a look of bewildered disgust while the other seems to be pointing something out.

 

This confuses Kai because there is nothing about him or Luhan that should be outwardly noticeable. Kai turns his attention away and tells himself to ignore the idiots. As he gazes to the opposite side, he scans the crowd for anyone else who could have been what the two had been gawking at. Maybe their attention had been on someone else and Kai had mistaken it. Kai doesn’t see anything, however, and is further purplexed. He shakes his head a little and tries to ignore it. He hadn’t ever let up on keeping his hands on Luhan and while his touches are small, he stills his hand and just keeps it hovering at his boyfriend’s waist.

 

The song changes and the the energy lifts in seconds. The lead singer is jumping at the edge of the stage expecting the crowd to follow suit - and they do - including Luhan. Kai doesn’t jump, although he does smile at seeing Luhan enjoy himself. He’s glad he’s paying attention as Luhan half spins in front of him so that Kai has to take a sudden step back to avoid being elbowed. He’s about to laugh when he feels his beanie shift from the momentum. Kai’s eyes widen as the hat falls somewhere behind him.

 

Luhan smiles brightly in seeing that his white-blonde haired, striking blue-eyed, hybrid boyfriend is standing before him. He’s about to lean forward to hug him or kiss him when Kai suddenly turns around and disappears out of Luhan’s vision.

 

Kai is just happy that his hat is right next to his feet and hasn’t been kicked through the crowd. He pulls it over his head and straightens up in time to make eye contact with the same two idiots from before.

 

“Freaks. Think they’re both hybrids?” one man asks the other obnoxiously. It’s obvious they’re trying to be heard over the music. Maybe they’re hoping they can bring attention to Kai and Luhan. Kai isn’t about to let that happen. He turns to look back at Luhan with every intention to whisk the other either out or to a different section on the floor.

 

“Why the does it matter?” Luhan suddenly yells. Kai’s eyes quickly bounce between Luhan and the other two. He knows he can hear the two over the music easily, but he had no idea that Luhan could or that he would have paid attention enough to do so.

 

“It’s unnatural. It’s not right that things like you exist,” the taller spits out quickly.

 

Luhan, despite the slight buzz, reels back in surprise. He’s never, in his life, had someone say something so disgustingly derogatory towards him.

 

“C’mon Lu,” Kai urges, pulling at the older’s arm.

 

Luhan has never felt so angry. He had been angry at his parents when they judged Kai unfairly and he’d been upset and disappointed to know the things that Kai’s friends had been through, but it is now all accumulating into anger that Luhan knows little how to control. He pulls against Kai’s grasp and continues to face the other two. “It’s worse that bigots like you two exist.”

 

“Better to speak my mind than have half the genes of a stupid animal!”

 

“Stop, Lu, let’s go,” Kai tries again. He pulls Luhan’s arm with more strength and turns towards the outer side of the room. There aren’t many people crowding against the stage equipment close to the wall so Kai tries to drag Luhan away to where they can easily make it out of the building.

 

“Last I could recall, pets weren’t allowed in the venue,” the other smirks.

 

Luhan’s blood boils. It might have been possible that every ounce of alcohol was burned off in that very moment, allowing him full control over the entire situation. Luhan wrenches away from Kai and takes two quick strides towards the one who dared to insinuate anything about ‘pets’. The idiots are laughing as Luhan moves quickly. He lands a punch to the man’s stomach with enough force to cause him to cough in pain.

 

Luhan only has a second to enjoy his small victory.

 

When that second is up, Luhan’s entire frame is sent sideways causing him to skid along the venue’s floor before coming to a stop just a few feet from where he’d been standing. There are a few things Luhan notices at once. He is in pain. His headache is back and worse than before. As he inhales, the sinus pressure becomes so intense that he can't stop himself from closing his eyes and slumping forward from where he’d landed on the floor.

 

The deadly hiss that escaped from Kai and the way his eyes sparked with fury actually keep the men in place as he picks Luhan up from the floor and turns away from the entire scene. He pulls Luhan’s frame against his by the older’s waist and brings Luhan’s arm around his own shoulders to keep them locked together until they are outside.

 

Kai thinks little about Luhan’s car, which is still parked elsewhere. His only objective is to get home. They can get Luhan’s car later. Hopefully, it won't be towed, but if it does they will worry about it then. Kai manages to get Luhan onto the first bus that stops near the venue. They don't have to go too far, but even still they both remain quiet the entire way home. Kai is juggling with too many mixed feelings - feeling protective, angry, and admittedly a little scared. Luhan can't even think outside of how bad he physically feels.

 

It doesn't take too much effort to help Luhan into their apartment. Despite feeling bad, Luhan is more than sober. Once there, however, the two of them have very different ideas on what should happen next. Neither of them remove their shoes nor get more than two steps in before Kai is looking over Luhan from head to toe to make sure he’s alright. “You hit the floor, Luhan, I'm just making sure you're okay.”

 

“I'm fine,” Luhan says quickly. He isn't, but there isn't much Kai can do about it. Luhan just really wants to sleep in hopes that it will get rid of how bad he’s feeling.

 

Kai looks at his boyfriend and senses how much Luhan wants to move out of the entryway and living room. “Okay, okay...lets get you to bed.”

 

Luhan shakes his head. “I just… let me just lay down. I don’t care if I sleep in this,” he says tiredly knowing that Kai would prefer to help him clean up and get more comfortable before allowing him to actually sleep.

 

Kai lets Luhan walk into the bedroom, but follows just a couple steps behind. He almost smiles at how Luhan simply walks to the foot of the bed and falls forward, not caring about how he’s still in shoes or a full outfit. Still, Kai waits until Luhan moves enough to seem normally situated on the bed before he pulls off the older’s shoes returning them to the entryway. Luhan already has his eyes closed when Kai returns, but he’s still unsettled with how the evening ended. “Lu?” Kai whispers.

 

“Hmm?” Luhan asks without opening his eyes..

 

“I’m sorry.”

 

“Why?”

 

“I’m sorry they thought you were a hybrid, and made those comments.”

 

To this, Luhan opens one eye and looks for where Kai is at the foot of the bed. “I’m not. Granted, they were s, but it isn’t a bad thing you know. I’d be fine with being a hybrid.”

 

Kai’s eyes widen in surprise. “Why?”

 

“Why not? In the least, you wouldn’t feel like you owed me an apology. You’re not the one who screwed up our evening.”

 

“If they hadn’t seen my ears-”

 

“Kai, shut up,” Luhan interrupts. He’s tired from how Kai always feels like he’s the reason for Luhan’s troubles. “My head is killing me and hearing you apologize for something so ridiculous is making it worse. If you want to make me feel better then get over here next to me so that I can fall asleep properly.”

 

Kai’s ears fold over the top of his head from feeling a little let down over the entire night. It was supposed to be a release from the past week, not additional stress. Still, Kai slowly sheds his own shoes, scarf and coat. He crawls over the bed and lies down next to Luhan. Luhan surprises him once more by rolling to his side to face Kai while draping his arm around the younger’s waist.

 

“I love you, Kai. Nothing else matters,” the older mumbles with closed eyes.

 

“I love you, too.” Kai leans closer to leave a quick kiss against Luhan’s forehead. He thinks that the older feels a bit warm, but it could have been the stress and the alcohol to cause it. In any case, Kai feels a sense of comfort knowing Luhan has fallen asleep quickly after the chaos of the evening.

 


 

Kai has always had dreams that he can remember; vivid confusing dreams. He used to think it was a hybrid thing, but when he's brought it up with Suho, the older tells him that he worries too much and it is his brain sorting out his worries for him. Kai wonders why some of his dreams flirt with becoming nightmares, which surely do not help his brain resolve anything. Regardless, Kai dreams and often.

 

This morning is no different.

 

It had been odd at first. He was with Luhan and they seemed like they were enjoying their time together. Nothing stuck out to Kai about where they were or what they were doing. It was simply a comfortable setting, but then why did he feel anxious?

 

Luhan turns to him and smiles with his favorite dazzling smile and glittery eyes, the same smile that tugs on Kai’s heart and reevaluates to him why Luhan is someone he could never give up or fall out of love with. He answers Luhan’s smile with one of his own and watches as the older walks a few steps away, preoccupied with the scene around them. The world seems bright and just warm enough to be comfortable, like a spring morning. He wishes every day could feel this peaceful.

 

It's funny how their roles switch in different situations. Kai watches over Luhan yet Luhan is always there to save Kai from himself. It's a strange realization, but one that Kai is content with. Right now he feels protective, almost like a parent as Luhan walks around in front of him. Kai continues to watch as Luhan stops and reaches down to pick something up. Maybe that’s what they’re doing. Maybe they came out to collect fruit or something. In any case, Kai finds the entire scene rather quaint.

 

Kai blinks. Twice.

 

He has to because something has changed. Confusion swamps him as he looks just beyond Luhan. Just past the other is darkness. Blacks, deep browns, and the deepest of forest greens blur the edges of the small world they're in. Kai wonders what exactly he is staring at and how it is he didn’t notice it a second ago. The darkness is ominous. Shapes aren't distinct, but the thought occurs to him that something isn't safe. He notices no changes in his boyfriend’s behavior but Kai finds himself walking forward.

 

“Lu?” he calls to the older.

 

“Luhan…” he tries again. But Luhan is still smiling and looking down towards his feet. Kai continues taking steps, but Luhan still seems closer to peril than to Kai.

 

Kai blinks again, but once his eyes are opened things have changed again. Gone is Luhan’s smiling face. Instead, the older looks pained and pale. His face is contorted with whatever agony he’s facing, but Kai is too confused to process anything he’s seeing. There is nothing to indicate that anything has happened in the past moment. There is no one else with them. Nothing could have happened to Luhan, at least Kai doesn’t believe so.

 

“Luhan?” he tries, hoping the other will say something that will clarify everything. Luhan still looks pained but unmoving. Kai isn’t sure how else to get an answer out of him. He tries to step closer but nothing is working. He needs someone to tell him what’s wrong or the confusion will surely kill him.

 

“Luhan!” he shouts in impatience. Kai blinks again, but this time when his eyes open he is staring at complete darkness.

 

It takes a moment for Kai to realize he’s staring from his bed towards the wall in their bedroom. The pitch-black darkness of the room makes it hard until his nocturnal vision adjusts itself, letting in every corner of the familiar bedroom. Kai shakes off the strange dream while his memories replace his dream. He remembers the entire night leading up to the two of them coming home and quickly pouts over the way everything turned out. He takes in a deep breath out of frustration when the scent of the room registers quickly and with the same force as a swinging hammer.

 

Kai sits up quickly and turns to look at Luhan. He’s still asleep, but he doesn’t look comfortable and if the smell is any indication, Kai’s pretty sure he knows why.

 

“Luhan?” Kai tries, touching the older’s shoulder gently while still hoping he wakes up.

 

Luhan doesn’t, at first, and so Kai has no choice but to pull the covers away from his sleeping form while moving around to his boyfriend’s side of the bed. “Luhan, you need to wake up,” Kai states a little louder. When the older doesn’t budge, Kai flicks on the light closest to the bed.

 

Luhan’s features scrunch up from the unwelcome light, but Kai doesn’t know how the older is sleeping when it’s obvious that he’s sick. Kai knows that Luhan was incredibly tired, but that doesn’t excuse that at some point he lost whatever it was he had last to drink against a portion of one pillow. “Lu!” Kai tries for the third time.

 

Finally, Luhan’s eyes open groggily, but he doesn’t even try to speak.

 

“C’mon Lu, we need to get you cleaned up.” Kai moves to help Luhan stand up, but the older shakes his head and tries to roll over. “No, you can’t do that. You have to come with me now. I have to change the bedding. You’ll feel better after a quick shower anyway.” Kai reaches for the older and puts his hands on Luhan’s right arm and realizes that his skin is warm to the touch. It might be from being underneath the covers but Kai is suddenly convinced that it’s probably due to a fever.

 

He manages to get Luhan to his feet and walks him into the restroom. He knows his boyfriend is too sleepy so he helps Luhan sit in the tub, turning on the shower so that it will rinse him off but not fill the tub. Once he’s sure Luhan is settled with the warm but not hot water, Kai quickly goes and pulls off all of the bedding. It’s still the middle of the night so he just bundles it all up and tosses it into their small laundry room while grabbing fresh sheets and remaking the bed.

 

Kai runs into the restroom to find Luhan in a half-state of awareness. “Hey? How are you feeling?” Kai tries asking.

 

Luhan just shakes his head. He knows what’s going on, but everything hurts and Luhan just misses his pillow.

 

Kai takes to cleaning his boyfriend and getting him out of the tub and dried off. He does so quickly but gently hoping Luhan will simply fall back to sleep once he’s back in bed. As Luhan sits on the mattress and before he slides himself back onto the bed, he looks up at Kai. “I can’t be sick. I have a really important week ahead of me.”

 

“I know. I know. But you can’t do anything if you don’t sleep. I promise, I’ll take care of you and you’ll feel better before Monday morning,” Kai offers, hoping his intentions will be enough to soothe Luhan back to sleep.

 

“This isn’t how I pictured this weekend going. I’m sorry,” Luhan mutters sleepily.

 

Kai just shakes his head. “I told you I’d give you all the attention you would need after the concert. I’ll make you so sick of me by later tonight that work will seem fantastic.”

 

“I don’t think that’s possible.”

 

Kai nearly laughs. However, it’s still early morning and there’s still the matter of getting Luhan well as soon as possible. “Do you want some medicine or anything? I’ll get you some water.”

 

“I think water is about all I can stand right now.”

 

Kai nods. “Coming right up.” Kai quickly vanishes to the kitchen and returns to the bedroom with a tall glass of water. He hands it to Luhan, but notices the cringe the other makes upon taking the glass. “What’s wrong?”

 

“My wrist is sore,” Luhan admits. “I think it was from when I landed on the floor.”

 

“Those s,” Kai growls instantly.

 

“It’s over now. I just...” but Luhan can’t completely focus on what he wants to say.

 

“You just, what?” Kai pries.

 

“I’m sorry that last night turned out so messy.”

 

Kai shakes his head and takes the glass from Luhan once he’s gulped down about a third of the glass. “We seem to be exchanging apologies when neither of us did anything wrong.”

 

Luhan simply nods in agreement.

 

Kai turns off the light and rounds the bed so that he’s back on his side. He sits down and scoots into his preferred spot while Luhan settles into his own side. “After everything, you’re going to be spending the entire day in bed, which means I will too. I’m not sure if there is actually anything else that hybrids prefer to do in a day,” Kai teases.

 

“You would look at it that way,” Luhan laughs. Kai can hear the sleepiness in his voice and moves closer to wrap an arm around Luhan’s waist. He doesn’t want to get too close while Luhan’s body is still feverish and radiating heat.

 

“Just let me be the optimist for once,” Kai murmurs.


Luhan lets out a soft laugh as he shuts his eyes and lets sleep take him. He’s still more than exhausted, but it’s the sounds and vibrations of his boyfriend’s soft purrs next to him that allow him to ignore everything else that could possibly stress him out. His goal for today is recovery and there’s really nothing else that is going to help him do so faster than Kai.

 


 

A/N - 

I'm not sure if that was all that great or not. The scenario seemed good in my head, but I have had a very hard time writing anything lately. Still, this seemed to happen.