On A Lazy Sunday

Until You Said Yes [Sequel Collection for ESNE]

 

On A Lazy Sunday
4000 words


 

Luhan has found himself staying at home more than he used to in a very long time. He likes the world outside and the millions of opportunities to try new things and find new adventures. Now, Luhan finds that there is one reason that the outside world holds a little less appeal than what is behind his own front door. There is no shortage of new adventures available to him now that he has Kai.

 

Luhan has enjoyed the last few weeks since offering his now boyfriend to move in with him. The other has taken his time settling in and making the small studio apartment feel like home. In turn, Luhan has never felt so at home until taking in the new roommate. What used to be a place for sleep, almost singularly, has become a place he quite treasures. Some would dare to say that Luhan has taken in a pet, for the hybrid is - at least in Luhan’s preference, someone that he adores to dote on. The other may showcase a pair of triangular cat ears, occasional blue eyes, and a long thin white tail,  but Luhan knows that he doesn’t own the other. Nor is Luhan’s world trying to cage Kai in (even if he inwardly hopes that Kai will stay with him). Luhan knows Kai calls the shots in that regard. The other has been given an open invitation to be with Luhan and only he can say when or if his time with him has or will end.

 

Luhan doesn’t think about things like that too often. Luhan is too busy with his boyfriend who is very unlike anyone he had ever thought he would be with. He figures that at some point he would be with someone who lived somewhat harmoniously with him. They would have identical schedules and live in constant rotation of each other. This is not what Luhan and Kai share, at least thus far. Luhan tries to live the way he always has but Kai is quite the opposite. He can tell that the other is having a bit of a struggle in completely settling into a new home, but mostly in the sense that Kai is just too polite. His actions and behaviors are still sometimes guarded and introverted.

 

Kai rarely leaves the apartment unless accompanied by Luhan. He still wears all of his coverings, including an array of beanies that he has in his possession. Luhan always tries to compliment him so that he won’t feel that it is necessary, but Kai is used to his ways of existing. Luhan supposes that it will all take time and he is quite patient towards the other. Despite it all, Luhan manages to help Kai feel at ease in the apartment and that is when Luhan falls all the more in love.

 

It’s on a day like today, when Luhan doesn’t have to fulfill any hours towards his internship, he is free to watch Kai and spend time with him. It’s a Sunday afternoon and the summer sun is trying to warm the house but Luhan’s air conditioning keeps the place comfortable. He is distracted from planning out what to make for dinner later while he watches a sleepy Kai sprawled out near the small couch directly beneath the rays pouring through the window. The other is currently on his side, stretched across the floor. His bare feet are the only part of him stretching into the shadows. He is in comfortable clothing, allowing for his tail to curl over his waist naturally while the end slightly twitches in contentment.

 

Luhan adores the hint of happiness showing in the other in such an outward way. Mostly (Luhan admits) it is because the act is something reserved for his eyes only. At least, for the most part. Kai has gone to visit with his friends but Luhan isn’t sure that he doesn’t keep on the disguise while he’s out and so, for now, he likes to think that he’s the only one who gets to witness the other in such a way. It was almost incredible that Kai had been able to keep his true self from showing. He was fortunate to have such a thin tail in which, Luhan has learned, the other simply wraps around his waist or even his own thigh while wearing just loose enough fitting pants so that the tail isn’t detected. Luhan is also impressed that beanies don’t give off the small bumps that would be created by triangular ears that sit near the top of Kai’s head, but his boyfriend does have a thicker amount of hair to cushion the ears when they’re pressed against his head.

 

And while Kai is never comfortable out in public without the coverings, around Luhan’s home he feels free to be himself.

 

Luhan knows that if he were to approach his dozing boyfriend, that the other’s skin would be warm to the touch and too irresistible. Sometimes, he has the urge to pet or hold the hybrid in such moments but he would no sooner disrupt the happy sleeping kitty. Instead, Luhan saves his attempts for cuddling to the late evenings. They have to share a bed in the studio, which was initially only awkward due to the realization of how incredibly young their relationship is. Luhan isn’t pushy in that sense, and Kai hasn’t pressed for it either. Kai usually snuggles up to Luhan allowing the older to kiss him innocently until Kai is either purring or possibly snoring after falling asleep.

 

This is where Kai’s differences start to show even more.

 

Luhan has been woken up multiple nights due to Kai waking suddenly with too much energy and no patience to stay in bed with the other. The first few times, Luhan whined. He realizes that Kai probably has some nocturnal tendencies and as long as there is nothing wrong, Luhan chooses to sleep while his boyfriend finds a way to stay busy while his energy is high. Luhan is always amused the next morning when he finds his boyfriend laying across the foot of the bed. Kai usually drapes himself over Luhan's feet, keeping the older trapped under his slumber-heavy body. Luhan doesn't mind. Instead, he sits up and combs his fingers in the white blonde hair between the hybrids ears until the mess is somewhat tamed. Luhan nearly laughs at the purring vibration against his feet. It's usually the stifled giggles that wake Kai enough so that he moves and lets Luhan escape. Of course, he won't leave his lazy boyfriend without kissing him soundly and telling him to sleep in.

 

Yes, these moments have started to become a routine that Luhan doesn't want to live without no matter how disruptive they might be to his normal way of existing.

 

A few months ago, Luhan had never even had any direct contact with a hybrid. At least, if he had he was still unaware of the fact. He couldn’t say he would have ever opposed the interaction nor could he say that his first legitimate boyfriend would have been such. Sometimes he wonders if the other has had any serious, or rather intimate relationships. However, Luhan hasn’t quite sensed the opportunity to bring it up. In fact, Luhan has been carefully avoiding bringing up Kai’s past at all. It isn’t that he doesn’t want to know, but he wants Kai to offer the information up to him when he’s ready. Instead, Luhan talks about himself more than he wants to, but only to present Kai with an open door in becoming comfortable with him.

 

He can’t imagine anyone not being attracted to the other. Luhan stands by his first appraisal of the man: striking. Kai is nearly the opposite of Luhan in what makes him devastatingly handsome. His features are strong and defined; he exudes ual appeal without trying. Luhan has always been called beautiful, but he knows it’s not in the same way that Kai is beautiful. Even if the other hasn’t been in a relationship with a human before Luhan, he wonders if he’d been with any other hybrids. Perhaps one of the ones he was living with before. Still, Luhan hasn’t mustered the courage yet to ask.

 

Luhan stood at the kitchen counter and watched the small tip of Kai’s tail as it twitched. On more than one occasion Luhan had been held onto during innocent and even a few heavier make out sessions with the addition of the thin tail. It somehow felt more intimate or perhaps exciting to him. He rather liked the encompassing feel of being held even closer to Kai even if his arms were already doing a good job of it. Luhan wanted to run his hand along the length of the tail but vaguely recalls that some cats are sensitive of it and maybe he shouldn’t just yet.

 

Kai yawns and stretches against the carpet grabbing Luhan’s focus and distracting him from his errant thoughts.

 

“Stop staring,” Kai groans.

 

“I’m sorry, I didn’t really mean to,” Luhan replies quickly.

 

Kai opens one eye and stares at the other. He could feel Luhan’s gaze on him for quite some time. He didn’t want to pay any attention to it, but he’s more than aware of every movement Luhan makes and his frozen form in the kitchen is getting to him. “Isn’t there anything else more entertaining for you to stare at?”

 

“No,” Luhan answers honestly, because any other answer is probably a lie.

 

Kai raises one eyebrow and continues to stare back at his boyfriend. Secretly, he loves it. He loves that Luhan can’t seem to take his eyes off of him. While everyone else in the world makes him feel like he doesn’t belong in his own skin, he takes pride that Luhan won’t stop staring. In fact, now he does what he can to stay within Luhan’s sight. Kai enjoys sprawling out and being amongst one of the few people that almost makes him happy that he is exactly who he is. He knows that Luhan treats him with a little too much care and hesitance. Kai wants Luhan to be a little bit more forward, just like he was in not letting Kai get away with constantly pushing him away. Kai knows that he’s not always very forward either, which is perhaps the signal Luhan is waiting for from the younger.

 

“Come here,” Kai states. He pulls himself up from the floor and sinks into the couch. He waits patiently until Luhan joins him - though sitting a little further away than Kai wanted.

 

Kai moves to lie on the couch and put his head on the other’s lap. He knows the exact attention he will get in return and purrs gratefully when Luhan’s hand begins to idly his hair and trace the edge of one ear. It sends shivers down Kai’s body despite how warm he is from soaking in the sun just moments ago.

 

“You can’t be comfortable. You don’t even fit across the couch like this,” Luhan observes as one of Kai’s legs is draped over the edge of the cushion and the other is propped up over the arm of the couch.

 

“I’m fine. Perfect even,” Kai mumbles against Luhan’s thigh.

 

“You’re so mellow during the day,” Luhan casually observes.

 

“It’s Sunday. There’s nothing we have to do, right?”

 

Luhan nods, even though Kai isn’t looking at him to see the answer. Luhan’s fingers find their way through the back of Kai’s hair and to the nape of his neck to rub small circles against his upper spine. Kai’s head feels heavier against Luhan’s leg. The contentment in and between the both of them saturates the entire atmosphere in something heavy with satisfaction. Kai is fighting his instinct to, despite being the taller of the two, find a way to situate himself completely in Luhan’s hold. Luhan is fighting the near same want of holding and touching Kai more than he is already. The shift in want is palpable. It’s times like these where the two of them, independently of each other, don’t know how much longer they can wait. Nor do they know just how insatiable they are for each other.

 

Luhan can’t take it anymore and needs to break the silence. His thoughts from earlier are still prevalent and he figures that a few weeks in means that some topics are definitely allowed. Taking the risk, he voices one of his many curiosities. “Kai?”

 

“Mmm?”

 

“Have you dated before?”

 

“Mmm.”

 

Luhan stares at the side of Kai’s perfect profile and closed eyes. He isn’t sleeping is he? “Kai?”

 

“Hmm?”

 

“Boyfriends, or I guess girlfriends. Have you been with anyone else?” Luhan asks again.

 

Kai nods his head, still eyes closed like it’s the most casual of all things to be talking about. It probably is, had Luhan also had a similar history.

 

“Many?”

 

“A couple…”

 

“Oh.”

 

Kai opens one eye and rolls back closer to Luhan’s frame so he could actual peek at the other’s face. “You?”

 

Luhan shakes his head while looking at nothing in particular.

 

“Wait…” Kai suddenly shifts up to a sitting position, scaring Luhan momentarily from the sudden withdrawal from his lap. “Never?”

 

Luhan shrugs. “My parents wanted me to focus. I didn’t spend much time focusing on finding someone to date.” Luhan thinks for a moment, but adds to his explanation before Kai can say anything. “I couldn’t not notice you though.”

 

“Still. That’s… wow,” Kai marveled.

 

“You say it like it’s weird,” Luhan nearly laughs.

 

“Just unexpected.” Kai has imagined a great many people fighting for Luhan’s attention. He seriously wonders if the other was just oblivious to it or if he’d honestly just not taken interest in dating. Kai was the weird one. Kai was the one with the obvious physical attributes to keep more than three-quarters of the population from sparing him a second glance. But Luhan? Kai is shocked.

 

“I swear, I don’t think there’s anything defective with me,” Luhan nervously laughs.

 

“You’re talking to the boy with ears and a tail,” Kai blurted with a roll of his eyes.

 

“Those aren’t defects. Your ears are awesome and your tail is y.”

 

“y?”

 

Luhan nods.

 

Suddenly, Kai is on all fours on the couch cushions and leaning into Luhan’s space to catch him in a quick kiss. Luhan’s eyes are wide at first, but flutter shut as the feel of the other’s soft full lips pull him into a reassuring state of bliss. Luhan can take being relationship stunted since he’s now found Kai. Luhan is pretty sure he’d wait forever if it meant that somehow he’d end up with the other.

 


 

The entire atmosphere has changed a couple of hours later as Luhan is back in the kitchen whipping up something new for them to try for dinner. There are bowls and cutting boards strewn across the counter and disorganized ingredients placed in every small available space. Luhan constantly has to search around to find each thing he needs and truthfully, he looks nearly as crazy as his boyfriend.

 

Kai, after a decent amount of napping and lounging is suddenly full of energy and knows little on how to deal with the fact. It is similar to how he becomes at one in the morning on most nights, except this time it’s barely mid-evening and his boyfriend is awake but too busy to do anything with him at the moment. Kai can’t sit still and has already asked for music so that it’s not too quiet while both are busy. Kai wants to help Luhan with dinner but he has never ever been very skilled at cooking. He wants to watch, but he feels like he’s hovering if he does. Kai kind of wants to go outside too, but that means putting on a hat and such and it’s actually quite hot outdoors so the idea is shrugged off and dismissed.

 

Luhan smiles to himself despite trying to pay attention to what he’s doing. On more than one occasion he’s lifted his vision from the counter space to see Kai idly dancing for a minute before his eyes find something of Luhan’s that he wants to look at. At this very moment, Kai seems to have found (or maybe he had already discovered) where Luhan kept one of his favorite puzzles. To be exact, it’s a Rubix cube and Kai is currently spinning the colors around as if he’s not actually trying but rather messing up the cube in frustration.

 

“I don’t get it. I can get one side right, but then you have to mess it up to fix the others.”

 

“There’s a formula for it,” Luhan offers.

 

Kai scowls. I have to know a formula? “Forget it.” He lets the block fall to the floor and stares at it for a moment.

 

Luhan laughs, and returns to his cooking. “We should get you some more things for around the apartment. What did you used to do with all that energy?”

 

“Play.”

 

“Play with what?”

 

“Well, more like roughhouse. Mostly with Baekhyun, Suho would get annoyed too easily.”

 

Right. The ‘roommates’, Luhan thought. He couldn’t help the small twinge of jealousy that crept up within him. He wanted to think that Kai simply meant some type of wrestling that was honestly nothing more than just that.

 

“Did you ever… Were Baekhyun and Suho ever…” Luhan stumbles over the words while mixing some sauce in one of the bowls.

 

“Did I ever what?” Kai asks innocently while lightly pacing or perhaps lightly dancing in the middle of the room.

 

“Are Suho or Baekhyun one of your exes?”

 

“No.”

 

Luhan’s shoulders drop a little in relief. He stirs the mixture with a bit more vigor as his mind takes a moment to vacate from the sudden intensity of emotion he had felt a moment before.

 

“Jealous?” Kai asks, suddenly appearing next to the other in the kitchen and whispering it in his ear.

 

Luhan jumps in place and takes a step back while countering the balance of the bowl in his arm. “Christ’s sake! Don’t do that!”

 

“Well, were you?” Kai asks with a wide smile.

 

Luhan is about to lecture the other, again, but is distracted by the fact that bright blue eyes are holding his gaze from venturing anywhere else.

 

“Not jealous, just curious,” Luhan manages.

 

Kai scoffs. “Baekhyun is restless no matter what. He’s always got too much energy. More often than not he spends his free time bugging me until I give in and try to clobber him. Suho usually has to pull the reigns on us before we claw anything we shouldn’t or actually hurt each other.”

 

“You’ve clawed at each other?” Luhan blatantly stares at Kai’s hands, which don’t boast the length in nail that should cause much damage.

 

Kai just shrugs.

 

“Is Baekhyun part cat as well?”

 

“Yeah, but he doesn’t have a tail. He’s got dual colored eyes though. They’re pretty cool. One is blue and the other is yellow. He has to try really hard to keep his eye color dark. Which isn’t easy when he’s running on all cylinders.”

 

“Is that why the colors change?”

 

“Swift changes in emotion make it harder to control.”

 

“I see.” It made sense. When Luhan has seen Kai’s blue eyes, they’ve proceeded a moment of shifting emotions. Luhan returns his attention back to the bowl realizing that the mixture is finished and well stirred. He looks to the recipe he is trying to follow and realizes there are a few things he still needs to chop. As he takes to the new task, Kai retreats from the kitchen area.

 

Without realizing it, Luhan is steadily dicing vegetables almost to the tune of a new song that had begun to play. It is catchy and upbeat and something he simply can't resist. Seeing as how he had caught Kai dancing earlier, he wonders if the other is entranced in the beat. Luhan lifts his gaze in time to see Kai shifting restlessly, his tail moving to the beat softly beside him. He would have continued to watch had a sudden stinging pain not brought him back to the task at hand.

 

"!" Luhan curses. He drops the knife against the cutting board and takes his finger up into his other hand quickly applying pressure.

 

"What?! What happened?!" Kai asks while hopping from the couch and quickly bounding towards the counter.

 

"I just... Damn. It's okay, it's not that bad." Luhan turns to the sink and turns on the cold water to rinse away anything that might have been on the blade that had just sliced his skin.

 

Kai looks through the water to get a glimpse at the wound but can’t due to the distortion the water makes in its path.

 

"Let me see, Luhan."

 

"It's fine. I'll get a bandage in a second."

 

"Luhan, let me see!" Kai demands.

 

A little shocked at the other's insistence, Luhan removes his hand from the stream of water. Almost as soon as he does, blood rises from the cut. It isn’t deep at all, he had just managed to knick the skin a bit.

 

Kai grabs Luhan's wrist and holds the finger closer so he can scrutinize the wound. He doesn’t take more than a few seconds before lifting the other’s hand and capturing the digit between his lips.

 

Luhan gasps as he feels Kai’s tongue at the wound.

 

“Kai! What… I know you’re a hybrid, but you can’t actually convince me that your saliva is more sanitary than if I had cleaned it and put a bandage over it!” Luhan wanted to yank his finger from the other’s mouth, but he stills all motion as he feels Kai’s grasp on his wrist increase in pressure.

 

Kai’s gaze snaps up to the other as he slowly pulls the hand away, but only so far so that he can stare again at the wound. He waits a few seconds as the wound stays clear and no more blood pools at the surface. It is very likely that it would have continued to bleed if any pressure were to be applied and so Luhan is still going to have to bandage it. Since he’s initially achieved success, Kai flashes Luhan a cocky smile.

 

Luhan doesn’t make a move. Anytime those blue eyes are fixed on him, he becomes useless. He can’t make up his mind on what is more important in that moment; ice blue eyes, the fact that Kai has just been his finger, or more impressively that the wound is no longer bleeding.

 

Kai’s smile is now bright and almost childlike. “No, I don’t have magical spit,” he says with a hint of sarcasm.

 

“Then why did you do that?” Luhan asks while still a bit bewildered.

 

Kai lets go of Luhan’s wrist and turns slightly as if he’s about to leave the kitchen.

 

Luhan can’t let Kai get away so easily. Luhan knows that his state of bewilderment isn’t about the possibility that Kai just unleashed germs into his wound, but instead that he’s just lit a fire in Luhan that needs to be eased with a bit of revenge.

 

Luhan quickly steps forwards and captures Kai by wrapping both arms around the other’s waist and pulling him backwards into his frame. Kai laughs in a way that sounds both genuine and innocent, even though Luhan would argue with anyone who tried to claim that his boyfriend didn’t do these things on purpose.

 

“We’re going to starve if you keep distracting me,” Luhan lets out close to Kai’s neck.

 

“You’re the idiot who stabbed himself,” Kai teases. He has the distinct pleasure in turning his gaze back to see Luhan’s eyes widen and then spark with a tiny bit of fire.

 

“Ooh, the human is mad,” Kai says, pushing Luhan just a bit further.

 

In Luhan’s eyes, the gloves are off. He moves one hand to the base of the other’s spine, giving the other a daring glance. He moves his hand down until he feels the soft thin fur-lined tail. Luhan runs his palm along the length, inwardly rejoicing as it rises against his hand until he reaches the end. Luhan repeats the action two more times, since Kai lets him. When Luhan focuses back on Kai’s face, the younger’s eyes are lidded and close to shutting.

 

Revenge is sweet, Luhan thinks as he leans closer and captures Kai’s lips with his own. 

 


 

Thank you for reading!
I'll take any scenario suggestions for the lovely couple now - I do have other characters in mind with roles so don't worry about suggesting those just yet... 
However, as I post more chapters, you'll have the opportunity to suggest things regarding other characters later.

AND

If I ignore or decide not to use a suggestion, please don't be offended. I am only going to use those that actually get the wheels in my head churning. 

Plus, this is my first time taking requests...so a little patience

<3