Eight

Friends...

“Hey you y beast.” Mino couldn’t keep his face straight while saying that so he just burst out laughing. He was waiting for Chaerin outside her house while leaning on his car.

 

Chaerin wanted to get swallowed by the ground. She was so embarrassed by what she did.

 

“Alright, I’ll stop laughing.” Mino moved away from his car and went to greet Chaerin who stopped approaching him because of too much embarrassment.

 

“Hi Mino.” Chaerin shyly greeted but still awkwardly hugged him.

 

“How much did you have to drink last night?” Mino asked while leading her to the passenger’s seat.

 

“Too much for my own good.” Chaerin said.

 

“I have just the cure for your hangover.” Mino said while smiling the smile Chaerin used to adore.

 

“Really? The beach?” Chaerin said as soon as she got out of the car.

 

“Yeah. I promise you, just one dip in the water and bye bye hangover.” Mino said while leading her towards the shore.

 

“No, I don’t think so. I mean. I don’t even have a bathing suit.” Chaerin said.

 

“Who needs bathing suits?” Mino wriggled his eyebrows and looked at Chaerin suggestively.

 

“No. Uh uh. Not gonna happen.” Chaerin said while backing up and Mino was moving towards her.

 

“It’s so gonna happen.” Mino said and chased Chaerin who already took of her sandals and started running for her life.

 

“NO~~~”

 

Too late. Mino already had Chaerin on his shoulder and was running towards the water.

 

“You jerk~” Chaerin said when she got her head out of the water and splashed Mino.

 

“Oh you love the water.” Mino smiled at her.

 

“Yeah. I love the water but I don’t love it when I’m in it fully clothed!” Chaerin whined.

 

“But admit it, the water’s good for your hangover.” Mino said and removed his shirt and tossed it to the shore. “You can remove your shirt too if it’s uncomfortable.” He suggested.

 

“Uh no thanks.” Chaerin replied and dipped her head underwater again. It really does feel good.

 

“Come on. It’s not like I haven’t seen it before already.” Mino pulled her up.

 

“Yah!” Chaerin slapped his arm.

 

“I’m kidding! I just meant it’s not like I haven’t seen you in a bathing suit.” Mino chuckled. “And why are you being so conservative anyway, after all the things you told me last night?”

 

Chaerin reddened in embarrassment again. “Ugh. You said you wouldn’t talk about that anymore.” Chaerin said. She explained on the trip that she only said those because she was drunk and she didn’t mean any of it. Mino knew but it was still fun seeing her get flustered while explaining. They agreed never to talk about it anymore but Mino couldn’t help himself.

 

“Okay. Sorry. It’s just really so funny, you know. Hearing from you after years and that’s what you tell me. Hahaha.” Mino laughed.

 

“Stop it.” Chaerin splashed him. “But I’m really sorry you know. For not being in touch or something.” She pouted.

 

“It’s no big deal. We have our own lives. We drifted apart.” Mino said the sad truth. They broke up not because of cheating, lies or anything ugly. They really just drifted apart.

 

“But still. We could have been better friends.” Chaerin said.

 

“I doubt that. We saw each other before remember? Right outside the club? But you were with your boyfriend so it would have been a bit awkward if we hung out then. Plus he didn’t seem to like me.” Mino chuckled remembering the night.

 

Chaerin remembered that night. She just went out the club, Jiyong’s club actually, to go find Jiyong and scold him if he was smoking but she saw Mino there. They greeted each other and talked but not even 5 minutes has passed and the Dragon was suddenly back hugging her and asking who Mino was. She introduced them but Jiyong wasn’t being too friendly once he figured they were exes.

 

“Speaking of which, where’s your boyfriend? I’m sure he’ll go nuts once he finds out we’re out together.”

 

Chaerin smiled sadly and looked down. “You don’t need to worry about that.”

 

“Oh… I’m sorry then, for bringing it up.” Mino said understandingly. “So is that why you booty called me last night, twice?” Mino joked trying to cheer up Chaerin.

 

“Yah! Stop talking about it!” she said and their water fight started.

 

 

“Oh looky looky.” They heard as soon as they entered the house.

 

“Oh unnie, you scared us.” Chaerin said and put down her keys. She and Mino just got home after their lovely dinner just near the beach where they can cook whatever they catch from the large aquarium inside. They spent the whole afternoon just strolling on the beach and swimming, not caring that they were clothed. At some point Chaerin got uncomfortable that she already removed her shirt leaving her in her bra and shorts and Mino with just his trunks.

 

“Hi noona.” Mino greeted politely and bowed.

 

“Hi there huge boy!” Bom said. That’s what he was called back in high school because he was into underground rap and all and they had nicknames. “What’s with the wet look you guys are sporting?”

 

“Oh we just came from the beach.” Chaerin explained.

 

“Oohh. Sounds fun.” Bom said.

 

“It was.” Mino replied, showing his full smile.

 

“So what’re you doing here unnie?” Chaerin said while starting to prepare coffee for everyone.

 

“Actually, I just dropped by to check if you were home and to remind you about the event Seunghyun wanted you to set up.” Bom said getting comfortable on the couch and inviting Mino to sit too but Chaerin said they should dry up first.

 

“I think this should fit you.” Chaerin said handing Mino a white shirt and basketball shorts.

 

“Thanks.” Mino said and proceeded to the bathroom.

 

“Oohh. That’s mean babe.” Bom said.

 

“What?”

 

“Giving Jiyong’s clothes to your ex.” Bom clicked her tongue.

 

“Come on. It was just a white shirt and shorts. Jiyong has tons and I’m sure he already forgot leaving his clothes here.” Chaerin defended while drying her hair. “Just like he forgot me.” She mumbled but Bom didn’t hear it.

 

“You can’t be too sure babe. Now go dry up properly and I’ll fix up the coffee.” Bom offered and Chaerin sent her a flying kiss.

 

“Unnie, about the event TOP oppa wanted… I don’t think I can do it.” Chaerin started. They were all sitting on the kitchen table enjoying their hot drink.

 

“But why? You’re the best at this type of stuff and Seunghyun really wanted you to arrange it because you know them well and you know that they don’t like talking too much to people they’re not close with.”

 

“Well… because… you see…” Chaerin couldn’t come up with a believable excuse.

 

“This is because of Jiyong huh?” Bom said.

 

“Nooo!” Chaerin said but Bom just looked at her with her ‘oh really?’ face. “Fine. Yes. I just think that it would be uncomfortable working if I know I’ll see him all the time plus I might see him with Dara…”

 

“Ohh okay. So it’s that.” Bom said while thinking of something. “Then why don’t you go with Mino?” She smiled after hearing her clever suggestion.

 

“What? Why?” Chaerin said and looked at Mino who was just quietly sipping on his coffee, equally as shocked as her to hear his name in the conversation.

 

“Why not? It would be good to have someone with you there especially now that Xin won’t be there because he has to meet up with Jer in the US.” Bom said. Chaerin forgot about that. She would be on her own for a week since she sent Xin to the US to make sure that all they’re contacts were still good.

 

Chaerin looked at Mino. “Hey. Forget about what unnie said. Don’t feel pressured. I can handle myself.” She smiled at him and he nodded.

 

“Whatever Chae. You’re doing it though, right?” Bom asked and Chaerin nodded her head. ‘Head in the game and be professional’, that would be her motto for the entire week.

 

“Great! I’ll meet you tomorrow then at their office.” Bom said and kissed Chaerin’s cheek before bidding good bye to the two.

 

Not long after, Mino also said his goodbye since he has an early meeting tomorrow. They talked about each other’s job and Mino mentioned he is a producer which didn’t surprise Chaerin because she knows he’s really talented in music.

 

 

“Annyeong haseyo~” Chaerin slowly entered the office and bowed respectfully.

 

“Oh Chaerin-ah! Hi! Why’re you being like that?” Youngbae asked and went to hug her. He was followed by Daesung and when it was Seungri’s turn, Chaerin stopped him and just gave him a high five making the other people in the room chuckle.

 

“Oh sir, annyeong haseyo” Chaerin immediately bowed as soon as he saw Yang Hyunsuk known as YG, Jiyong’s uncle but was practically his second dad.

 

“Chaerin, how are you? You haven’t visited for a long time.” YG asked and went to hug Chaerin.

 

“Uhm… I’ve been busy sir.” She smiled at him.

 

“What sir are you talking about? Call me YG or just appa. You’ll call me that soon enough anyway.” YG said suggestively and shifted his glance from Chaerin to Jiyong.

 

Awkward silence…

 

Jiyong hasn’t mentioned to his uncle/ ‘appa’ that him and Chaerin were already broken up… and he doesn’t plan to.

 

“Hmm.” TOP cleared his throat to catch their attention but mostly to break the awkwardness. “Uhm uncle, actually its Chaerin’s company that we hired to organized our party for the launch of our new perfume line.”

 

“Oh is that so? That’s wonderful then plus I think that would be effective too since Chaerin already knows you guys well so it wouldn’t be a problem when it comes to concept.” YG said.

 

“Yeah. That’s what I thought too, that’s why I personally suggested that it should be Chaerin who would do it.” Jiyong said. Up to that point, Chaerin still hasn’t acknowledged his presence.

 

Chaerin looked at him in shock. She has always been told that it was TOP who was asking for her to do it.

 

“Aigoo. This boy just does whatever his heart tells him to huh?” YG joked making the situation awkward once again since no one laughed but the elder didn’t notice anything wrong. “Okay then kids, I better get going.” YG said and bid his good bye.

 

“So Chaerin, we were thinking more of like a passion & rebellion sort of thing. Something a little dark, dark enough to get the people’s attention but not too much to scare them away, you know?” Youngbae started.

 

“I’m sorry. I don’t think I can do this.” She said, shocking the 5 guys.

 

“Why?” TOP asked calmly.

 

“I think it’s better if you hired someone else to do this. I’m sure Jina’s company can do a good job.” She reasoned.

 

“But we don’t really know Jina personally.” Daesung said.

 

“I’m sure you could—“

 

“No! I want you!” Jiyong cut her off. “You’re perfect for this. You’re the best at what you do. We want the best for our event.”

 

Chaerin sighed. “I can’t.”

 

“Of course you can! This is what you do! How can you say you can’t?!” Jiyong stood up and was going her way.

 

Chaerin stood up too making Jiyong stop. “I can’t because of you okay?! I thought we could be friends but I can’t. I just can’t do it! I can’t pretend everything’s okay. That everything’s normal while you’re with your girlfriend living your life. I can’t do your event because then I would see you every day and you have no idea how much it hurts. How much it hurts to see you moving on while I’m still stuck where I am, thinking about us. It hurts to think that you could move on just like that! Like we were nothing to you, like I was nothing to you!” Chaerin took a deep breath. “They were right. We can’t just be friends. It’s either we’re in each other’s life or we’re not. I think it’s better if we’re not.” Her tears started to fall as she breathed heavily.

 

“Chaerin…no…” Jiyong said dumbfounded.

 

“Please. Please let me move on.” She pleaded looking directly at his eyes, crushing his heart into a million tiny pieces.

 

This was the saddest he has seen Chaerin. Her outburst was a surprise but he didn’t have time to be surprised because all he saw during her speech was her sad eyes begging him to let go.

 

The four guys were dumbfounded too. Nobody said anything because it seemed like there was no right thing to be said.

 

“Chae please...” Jiyong stepped forward.

 

“I can’t do this.” She said and bolted leaving Jiyong teary eyed feeling weak to the knees and eventually giving in to the hurt and despair that built deep inside him, howling his heart out not caring if he wasn’t alone.


Hey guysss! I'm sorry for the wait... but it's here now! :) I hope you like it and share some ideas. Maybe I could incorporate it or even get inspiration from it :) Thanks for reading! Ya'll take care! 

P.S. still watching CL's Hello Bi+ches! Can't get it out of my head!