One

Friends...

“Hey Chae, what time you going later?” Xin asked her while she was putting on eyeliner.

 

“Hmm? Later?”

 

“Yeah. Later. As in later at the club. It’s Mina’s birthday party, remember?” Xin said. He’s sure she already forgot.

 

“Oh was that tonight already?! I totally forgot. . I haven’t bought her a present yet.” Chaerin said finishing up her make-up and looking at her watch. “Great I still have time.”  It was only 6PM.

 

“I knew you would forget. Tsk tsk.” Xin shook his head.

 

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry. I was just so busy.” Chaerin said and started putting her stuff in her bag. She needed to go and buy Mina a gift.

 

“Okay. Relax baby girl. I already bought her a gift and wrote down both our names.” Xin said and held up a Chanel paper bag.

 

“Oh you’re a life saver.” Chaerin said and stopped fixing her things.

 

“What would you do without me, huh?” Xin smirked and Chaerin blew a kiss to him. “But you’re sure you’re really going right?”

 

“Why wouldn’t I?” Chaerin asked, confused.

 

“I mean, you know… because he’s gonna be there for sure and you know…”

 

“So what if he’ll be there. It’s Mina’s birthday. I’ll be there for her.”

 

“Okay then. Just don’t run to me teary-eyed asking me to drive you home because you can’t take him flirting with others.”

 

“Shut up.” Chaerin glared at him.

 

 

“Happy birthday babe!” Chaerin said as she and Mina kissed each other’s cheek.

 

“Oh Chae! Thanks! Thanks for coming! I’m so happy you’re here. I have someone to introduce to you.” Mina said while raising her eyebrows suggestively.

 

“You know I don’t want—“

 

“Oh come on Chae. It’s already been what? Three months since you and Ji broke up. Plus, it’s my birthday and he’s my cousin. And I swear he’s hot. But ew I don’t look at him like that. He’s my cousin. Bleh.” Mina said. Chaerin was sure she was already tipsy and it was only 10.

 

“Okay fine. But I’ll just say hi okay?”

 

“Yes babe. You’re the best!” Mina said and blew her a kiss. “Wait for me.”

 

Chaerin sighed. Her friends have been trying hard to get her to date someone already ever since her break up with the Kwon. Because it didn’t seem like Jiyong would do anything to get back together with her anyway.

 

“So, did Mina introduce you to anyone yet?” Xin suddenly appeared beside her and handed her a cocktail.

 

Chaerin just took a big gulp and didn’t reply. It was always like this and every attempt made by her friends to hook her up with someone failed. She just wasn’t interested… or ready.

 

At that moment, none other than Kwon Jiyong caught her attention. He dyed his hair red… she remembered the last time he did that, she that it looked like ramen, she almost chuckled at the thought but stopped herself before anyone could see. She didn’t know if he just arrived but he seemed like he’s already getting comfortable… with a new chick between his legs. They were standing and leaning on the bar counter. Chaerin hoped that the damn counter would break.

 

It wasn’t the first time that she saw him again. They see each other, frequently as a matter of fact. It’s because Jiyong seemed to appear in every event that Chaerin organizes. That’s probably because Jiyong has a lot of friends considering that he’s a fashion designer and a popular dude.

 

And before Chaerin could curse that damn counter more, Mina appeared in front of her and Xin, smiling brightly and holding on to the arm of a handsome guy, Chaerin admitted.

 

“Chae, this is SooHyuk. Hyukkie this is Chae.” Mina said gesturing to both parties.

 

Chaerin smiled at him and held out her hand. SooHyuk did the same.

 

Chaerin thought he looked familiar but dismissed the idea. It was probably too dim in the club so her eyes were probably playing tricks on her.

 

“Hey. So I heard you’re an event organizer.” SooHyuk started.

 

“Uhm yeah. So what do you do?” Chaerin asked. At that moment, Mina pulled Xin and they left the two to get to know each other.

 

“Just a bit of modelling here and there.” SooHyuk said indifferently. “But I wanna get to know you more.”

 

Chaerin raised a brow but didn’t say anything.

 

“So why is it that my cousin was so insistent on me meeting you? I mean, I’m sure you already have a boyfriend, considering how beautiful you are.” SooHyuk said.

 

Chaerin chuckled. So he’s a sweet talker.

 

“I’m pretty sure you have a girlfriend since you’re not so bad yourself.” Chaerin countered.

 

This time, it was SooHyuk who chuckled.

 

“I don’t have one now, actually.” He said and took a sip of his beer. “But maybe in the near future?” He looked at her suggestively making her chuckle again.

 

Chaerin had to admit, he was an okay guy. He wasn’t all about himself. Most guys she knew that looked like that were too full of themselves but he wasn’t like that. He actually seemed genuinely interested in getting to know her more.

 

They talked more and became more comfortable with each other. Chaerin concluded that he looked familiar because she’s probably seen him before because he mentioned he’s more of an international model but he also said he modelled in some shows in which Chaerin remembered she had organized.

 

“You wanna dance?” SooHyuk asked and held out his hand.

 

Chaerin thought about it and decided there was no harm. “Sure, why not.” She said and took his hand.

 

But just as they both stood up, none other than Mr. Kwon Jiyong appeared in front of them.

 

Jiyong looked down and saw their hands held together. His eyebrow rose at the sight, same with his temper, but he composed himself and smiled at SooHyuk.

 

“Oh if it isn’t Lee SooHyuk.” Jiyong said with a friendly grin.

 

“Hey! GD! Hey man, long time no see!” SooHyuk said and manhugged Jiyong.

 

‘Of course they know each other.’ Chaerin thought and inwardly rolled her eyes. Just when she felt a bit of interest in another person, of course Jiyong comes in.

 

“I know right, how long has it been? I didn’t know you were back in town.” Jiyong said.

 

“Oh yeah. I just came back a few weeks ago, actually. Oh hey, sorry, how rude of me. Jiyong, this is Chaerin. Chaerin this is Jiyong.” SooHyuk, being a well-mannered man, introduced the two, totally ignorant about their past.

 

“No introduction needed Hyuk. We know each other. Very well, actually.” Jiyong said with a lot of meaning.

 

“Oh sorry, I didn’t know.” SooHyuk chuckled a bit embarrassed and confused of the meaning that Jiyong put in.

 

“Oh of course you didn’t. Or else you wouldn’t be flirting with her all night since she’s my girl.” Jiyong straightforwardly said with that smug smile making Chaerin’s jaw drop and SooHyuk totally surprised.

 

SooHyuk looked at Chaerin for confirmation but before Chaerin could say anything, Jiyong pulled her arm. “Excuse us, Hyuk.” He said and dragged Chaerin out of the club. They walked past their friends making them all confused about what was happening.

 

SooHyuk was left standing there, feeling a bit embarrassed about what just happened. Good thing Xin was there for damage control. “You need a drink.” He said and handed hyuk a glass of vodka.

 

“What the hell do you think you’re doing?!” Chaerin asked, totally pissed.

 

Jiyong continued on dragging her until they reached his Lamborghini. He made her sit on the front seat and he jogged to the driver’s seat. “Put your seatbelt on.” He said coldly. He the engine and drove, wildly.

 

Chaerin held on for her life. Jiyong was really being a douche this time. He was driving like a madman, not caring about the other cars in the road.

 

They reached an empty park and Jiyong slowed down.

 

When he stopped, neither said a word. Only Jiyong’s heavy breathing can be heard.

 

“What are you doing?” Chaerin asked, still gripping the door tightly.

 

“I’m calming myself.”

 

“Spare me the sarcasm Ji. You know what I mean.”

 

“I’m taking what’s mine.” He said looking at her intensely.

 

Chaerin’s blood boiled. “And you think I’m yours?”

 

That made Jiyong’s eyes soften and Chaerin saw a glint of hurt pass. Jiyong stayed quiet.

 

“Don’t even try and get sentimental with me Ji.” Chaerin said harshly and looked out the window.

 

Jiyong felt a prick in his heart.

 

“What were you doing with SooHyuk?” he suddenly asked.

 

“What do you care? We shouldn’t be here right now. I shouldn’t be with you right now.” Chaerin said and just like that Jiyong felt another prick. Stronger this time.

 

“Chaerin, what were you doing with SooHyuk?” He asked again.

 

Chaerin sighed. “We were talking. Just actually talking. Unlike you who refers to talking as having your tongue down someone else’s throat.” She said full of hate and hurt. “And what do you care if I’m with SooHyuk or any other guy? I don’t mingle with your business when you’re with a girl or girls.” She added emphasizing the word girls.

 

“Are you being jealous right now?” Jiyong asked, a tiny bit of hope lingering just around his brain.

 

Chaerin scoffed but couldn’t deny it.

 

Jiyong felt angry that she didn’t admit it. “Don’t forget that you’re the one who left me.” He spat out.

 

“You basically cheated on me!” Chaerin couldn’t help but raise her voice.

 

“I was drunk!” Jiyong fought back.

 

“That’s not good enough.” Chaerin said softly and shook her head lightly. Now she feels like crying but she was trying hard to stop the tears from flowing. She wouldn’t cry in front of him. She shouldn’t.

 

They both stayed quiet after that. They’ve had this conversation before. The day she left him, exactly 3 months and 18 days ago, Jiyong kept count. They argued a lot that day. Jiyong kept on insisting he didn’t do anything and Chaerin just wouldn’t believe him since she saw it with her own eyes. It was the day Jiyong condemned. The day he wished never happened.

 

Minutes passed and nobody said anything. Both afraid that a repeat of that day would happen again. Jiyong’s knuckles started to turn white from gripping the steering wheel too tight. Chaerin’s eyes turning red from keeping the tears down.

 

“What can I do?” Jiyong suddenly asked. A totally different approach from what happened 3 months ago.

 

Chaerin couldn’t stop them anymore. The tears free flowed.


Hey! Thank you for those who subscribed with just the foreword out. Thank you for commenting too. I'm really touched and I appreciate it. I'm really sorry to the readers of The Chasing Game because I didn't update it yet. I kind of hit a wall with it but I'm in the process right now. Thank you for still supporting it though :)

This plot just sort of came to mind and just went on so I decided to put it up. I don't know how long it will be. Let's just see. Anyway, thanks for all the support. I hope you like the first chapter. Feel free to tell me what you think :) God bless.