Photograph

Intersecting Lives

The moment I dropped my things in front of the same old room I used to stay years ago, I felt nostalgic. Memories of what used to be a paradise on Earth came back and I can't help but to held back the tears that was starting to form in the corner of my eyes.  

Three years have passed, but still the pain of yesterday's still fresh both in my heart and mind. We were perfect, not only stated by me but also by our friends. We compliment each other, though we were the exact opposites, it was never the reason why we fight and what hurts me most is that the simplest reason would make the permanent mark in my heart.  

_ 

"Amber!" I smiled the moment I heard the cold voice of the girl I've been planning to tease. We were supposed to be walking to school together but since she doesn't want to get up, I left her. And now she's running towards me panting.  

I didn't have any plan of turning to her and stop my tracks to wait for her. I actually plan to continue walking and pretend I didn't hear anything.  

I don't know why but it amuses me when she knits her brows and pouts, when she stomps her feet and hit anything that comes her way when she's angry. I love how amused am I with her and everything that she does, those simple things makes her perfect and her title of being an ice princess fits her perfectly in a very nice and unique way.  

"Yah! Stupid!" I noticed the change of pitch from her voice telling me that she's starting to get pissed. Well haven't I told you that her patience is beyond low average, and it is evidence by this.  

Continuing my steps while eating my bread and with my earphones on, I suddenly yelped at the hard thing that hit my head. It actually made me trip because damn that was hard.  

I was still massaging my damaged head when I felt her presence beside me and just like what I was thinking she was on akimbo with one brow raised.  

"Still can't hear me?" She said in a monotonous but really creepy tone.  

"Sorry, my music was way too loud" I dusted of my pants and grabbed my bag while she snatched the earphones from me making me utter ''  

"Loud huh? Tell that to me when you're really listening to some " she bumped me by the shoulders and walked past me. The princess is pissed, Oh Lord.  

I watched her walk for I was a meter behind her, I didn't run to her at that moment but instead followed her. I enjoy observing her do what she does, excel in everything she wanted to do even if it means her being a monster when she's angry.  

I smirked when she stopped and crossed her arms to her chest, I stopped right beside her and offered her some of the juice I am drinking.  

"Still angry?"  

"You lied"  

"I am teasing you"  

"And you love it?"  

"Sometimes." Placing a kiss on her cheeks, I immediately start walking. Ever since we became a couple, the feeling of touching her still gives me the nervousness I always feel since we met and me realizing that I love her.  

"Who told you to do that?"  

"Instincts Krystal, Instincts" The next minutes passed with her arms around mine and her telling me stories I grew to love hearing every moment of my life.  

_ 

Months passed, and the love I felt for her just got deeper than I could ever imagine. My world started to be filled with her, her smile, her laughs and everything that has something to do with her became my everything. She became my life.  

I thought everything would be perfect, everything would flow smoothly and this relationship would be the best that I have. Just when I thought of those, I received her message telling me to meet her at our favorite park. The place where we first met, the place where I confessed my feelings for her and the place where she told me she loved me too.  

It was exciting that I came there 30 minutes earlier from the time she told me. Just like before I stayed under the large tree where we usually play, the tree who was the witness to everything that we shared.  

Time passed and a smile formed in my face when I saw her walking towards me, she was wearing a simple white dress and her hair flows with the gentle breeze of the wind. The moment she stopped infront of me, I felt her arms around my neck as she gave me a  tight embrace.  

"Did you wait?" She asked. I was looking straight into her eyes hoping to know if there is something wrong. The way she hugged me was different from the times she did the same and the feeling I felt from it was quite scary.  

"No. What's up?" I tried to hide the anxiety that I was currently feeling and let her lead me to sit on the ground.  

"I just miss these times where we forget about everything and just stay here" I raised a brow, I knew by then something was wrong but I didn't find the courage to ask.  

"Here" I looked at her hand and saw a paper turned upside down.  

"Keep it okay. I have one of yours" I flipped the paper and saw her picture wearing the dress that I told her was my favorite.  

"What's this for?"  

"Don't you want to keep a picture of your girlfriend?"  

"Of course I do."  

"Then keep it"  

I didn't know how I managed to get through that day looking so fine even if I'm worried deep inside. I knew for myself that something was wrong but the way she held my hand made me stop asking. Her eyes were pleading to make this day a happy one, and for her I wouldn't want to destroy that.  

"Rest well" Those were my parting words the moment I brought her back home. I enjoyed the day so much but still the uneasiness I've been feeling was still there.  

"I want you to take care of yourself and remember how much I love you. Go home now" She whispered to my ears before pushing me gently to the streets. She asked me not to look back and that she'd call me right after and knowing her attitude I gave in though a part of me wanted to cry without any reason.  

I stared at my phone's screen the moment I closed the door and when her name flashed I hurriedly answered her call.  

"Hey"  

"Amber" 

"Yes?"  

"I'm leaving, please don't ask why or when I'll be coming back. Just please listen." 

"Okay"  

"You know that I love you, trust me I do. Whenever you miss me, take a look at my picture I gave you. I'll do the same. Please take care of yourself and try to be happy and please, trust my love for you. I love you Amber, Good bye 

 

I remembered those last few lines she told me before she hung up. The next day I learned she moved out with her family without telling anyone where they would be heading. I thought it was just months but when a year and another passed, I started losing hope, maybe she just told me that for me not to be hurt. 

And now after three years I came back as someone new, someone who is starting to achieve my dreams, but someone who still loves her so much.  

Changing to clothes that were plain and simple, I jogged towards the park and felt the urge to cry when I saw the tree that was still standing still. Where is she? Where is Krystal? Does she still love me? Those were some of the questions that was constantly running in my mind.  

"If one day you wake up and our memories came flashing back to your mind, refreshes your soul and lit up the fire back to our love, come back. I'll be standing at the same tree where we first wrote our promises." I didn't know how my tears started to flow from my eyes continuously, maybe it was the pent up sadness I had all this time.  

"I'm sorry If took me long to come back, I'm sorry If I kept you waiting. Do you still love me?"  

I froze. Slowly my head turned back from the direction of the voice and saw her. Then and there I forgot the people around us and took her back into my arms where she was supposed to be.