Prologue

A Promise
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kyuhyun was panting slightly after running up the stairs. He finally saw metallic doors leading to the rooftop and pushed one of them, which quietly screeched. A cool breeze brushed against his body once he passed the threshold. A pleased hum escaped his mouth as Kyu enjoyed the chilliness contrasting with the humid atmosphere of the high school building underneath him. The view in front of him was pleasant to the eye. On the right side, there was a football field and a basketball court. On the left was a park. In front of him was the school’s garden. He closed the door and walked to the other side.

 

As he passed the small the rooftop entrance, he finally saw a boy with black hair that was gently ruffled by the wind. With a smile on his face, Kyuhyun approached his best friend and tickled him from behind.

 

“Gotcha, Minnie!!” Kyu shouted in glee when the other student jumped in surprise.

 

“Yah!” Sungmin glared at the younger boy, but his gaze quickly softened, “Shall we eat?”

 

“Mhm!”

 

The boys took out their lunches from their backpacks and sat down on the ground. Then they chewed on their food, enjoying the refreshing breeze. They stayed in a pleasant silence until Sungmin broke it by asking, “How did your math test go, Kyuhyun-ah?”

 

“I aced it again,” Kyu answered, “How about you?”

 

“Me too.”

 

And they both grinned. Those nerds were at the top of their classes. They got the best scores in nearly all the subjects. Though they were of the same age, they attended different classes. However, they did share some subjects: such as maths. Whenever they had a chance, they would sit together and snooze through the classes.

 

“Did you get scolded for napping during biology?” Sungmin inquired as he set his food away, since he was done.

 

“How did you know?!” Kyu retorted, surprised.

 

“I just heard it from some random students,” the older male chuckled at the reaction, “So, did he give you a bad mark or something?”

 

Kyuhyun sighed at the memory, “Of course he didn’t, because I usually get above 95% on every test. I don’t know what is his problem! He is the only teacher who minds my sleeping. I mean, seriously! Am I disturbing his classes? No. All I do is raise the average of the class!”

 

Sungmin bursted in laughter at the last comment and suddenly froze.

 

“Minnie? Are you all right?” Kyu asked, sensing that something was off.

 

“What? Nothing, I just thought that erm....  that someone called me,” the black haired student replied.

 

Kyuhyun decided to shrug off this odd behavior and asked, “Are you free today after school?”

 

“I’m sorry, but I have to talk with my chemistry teacher about the upcoming project. You know, I was sick and I have to catch up.”

 

“Ah, I see,” Kyu looked away, trying to hide his pout.

 

Sungmin saw that and grinned, “But I am going to be free tomorrow, though~ We can grab some ice cream on our way back home.”

 

“Okay! It’s a promise!” Kyuhyun turned around so quickly that his chocolate locks flew up, making something like an umbrella shape. His eyes were wide open with excitement, “Promise me that!”

 

“All right, all right, I promise,” Sungmin chuckled.

 

“That’s great! I can’t wait to-” a sudden flash on his left, near the rooftop entrance, attracted his attention. He frowned and tilted his head to see what it was.

 

“Kyuhyunnie? What’s going on? Is someone there?” Minnie asked as he reached for his backpack.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter