Two

Forbidden

2.

Chapter Two



 

Luhan came downstairs to face his family the next morning but paused when he heard his aunt talking to Taeyeon in a hushed tone.

 

“Luhan was shocked, that’s all. You know how he had a little crush on Kai when he was little. I talked to him last night and everything is fine, he’s not jealous or anything, so don’t you worry, Tae. Give him a little bit of space, okay?” Luhan caught the last end of the conversation his cousin and his aunt were having.

 

“Okay, I don’t want things to be awkward though. I want to talk to him about it.” Taeyeon frowned.

 

“I know you do, but just let him be. We’re leaving in a few days and I want him to rest up and de-stress. You too.” she kissed Taeyeon’s head before going back to the kitchen.

 

Luhan emerged from the stairs a few minutes later and greeted everyone warmly, as if nothing was wrong.

 

“Good morning everyone!” he chirped before sitting at the table where some pancakes were cooling. Taeyeon smiled back at her little cousin and Luhan reciprocated even though he knew her smile was fake.

 

“Taeyeon, can I talk to you outside? Just for a second?” Taeyeon nodded and two cousins stepped out onto the porch. “I’m not going to cause you two trouble. You have my word. You two are betrothed, after all. Forget that I even had feelings for him. Okay?” Luhan drew blood as chewed his lip, trying to distract from the pain in his heart.

 

“Lulu..” Taeyeon looked unsure, worriedly wringing her hands.

 

“I mean it. I thought about it last night and you’re more important than some stupid crush, noona. Really.” Luhan hugged his older cousin tightly.

 

“Oh Lulu, so kind hearted. Thank you.” Taeyeon hugged her cousin back tightly before returning inside and sitting at the table, next to him.

 

The next few days passed by in a blur for Luhan while he struggled with news. Some days, when he felt a little hope, Luhan would scour the pack’s Tribunal book, searching for some type of loophole and only depressed himself more when he found none. Luhan had avidly avoided Kai since the first night he’d came to the reservation, avoiding the confrontation that would follow if he was alone for more than a second with Kai. He knew that to get over Kai better, he’d need to break up with him and sever any ties with Kai but Luhan didn’t want to look into his eyes and see the memories that would lead to more heartbreak.


 

A week and a half after first arriving, Luhan’s family announced that they’d be taking their annual family vacation again, this year with the Kims. Luhan actually been looking forward to escaping with his family to a nice resort to their beach home. Whatever plans he had were crushed by the prospect by staying the same house with Kai, despite it being a rather large house.

 

And to top the crap cake, for the third day in a row, Luhan woke up with same nauseous, icky feeling in his stomach that caused him to retch up any dinner that had not digested from the previous night.

 

Now it was the day before they left for their vacation, and Luhan wasn’t aiming to be ill and bring down the mood. He also wasn’t aiming to get sick while on their private plane. So, that morning Luhan got up and borrowed his cousin’s car, deciding to visit a little walk-in shifter clinic only an hour away from the reservation.

 

    ~

 

“I’m pregnant?” Luhan parroted rather shrilly, causing the doctor to wince. “You must have made a mistake, really.”

 

“When was the last time you had ?” the doctor asked peering down at his clipboard. “Say, a week or two ago?”

 

“Well, yes but...” Luhan was a loss for words, the blood draining out of his face when he realized Kai hadn’t be wearing a .

 

“Ah, there it clicks. But anyway, you’re fairly far from a permanent pregnancy. Come back in 2 or 3 weeks and I’ll be able to tell whether it’s absorbed or not. That’s really common in male pregnancy. If you wish to keep this baby, then you should take it easy. No excessive exertion. If you must, try exercising delicately-- light swimming, walking or yoga. I’ll give you some optional vitamins, they’ll help the fetus grow, if you wish. I’ll be right back.” the doctor patted his shoulder before walking out the examination room, beckoning Luhan to follow.

 

Numbly, Luhan stumbled on feet he couldn’t feel and listened to nurse’s directions with ears that felt clogged. It was only when he had taken the pills and pamphlets and gotten into the front seat of the car when the news hit hard.

 

He was pregnant. With Kai’s baby.

 

    ~

 

“Ah Luhan get up, we have a flight to catch!” Luhan’s older cousin, Baekhyun angrily poked the younger in the back.

 

“I’m tired and si-” Luhan couldn’t get the last part out before his stomach threw itself up his throat. Dashing to bathroom and crashing by the stark porcelain, Luhan emptied his stomach for the fourth time this week, furthering the proof that he was pregnant.

 

“Lu? Are you okay?” Baekhyun stared wide-eyed at Luhan, a concerned frown plucking at the corner of his lips. “Do you want me to get umma?”

 

“No, don’t tell her. I’m okay. I went to the doctor yesterday. He told me I have a little stomach flu and gave me some pills. I don’t want to worry her. I’ll get cleaned up and be down there in a bit, Baek.” Luhan chirped a little too brightly, trying to brush off his cousin’s well-placed worry.

 

“Okay, well hurry.” Baekhyun left, shutting the door with a small click.

 

Closing the bathroom door as well, Luhan looked in the mirror, staring at his belly for some sort of sign. If anything, it looked like his belly convexed a tad more than usual, but other than that, nothing else signaled pregnancy.     

 

Once the two families were on the plane, buckled and seated, and the plane took off. Luhan had somehow been able to get a row to himself and happily extended out, relaxing his strained back. Luhan could see Kai up ahead, sitting with Taeyeon, chatting with her with true interest and happiness. It hurt to see and Luhan ignored them the best he could with earphones and sunglasses.

 

They touched down two hours later, everyone rushing off to the beach, that was only a few feet away from the beach house, after dropping their things like hot potatoes. Everyone but Luhan playing the ocean in one shape or form, Luhan keeping off the side and smiling at his family having fun. An hour into the beach excursion, Kai’s mother came over to Luhan.

 

“Hi, Mrs. Kim.” Luhan greeted smiled up at the older lady.

 

“Aw stop, Lu. Call me Nan, everyone else does.” she waved dismissively, sitting on the large blanket laid out in the sand. “Why aren’t coming in, Lu? You love the beach.”

 

Luhan’s stared out at the turquoise waves crashing into the sand, full of remorse. “Ah, yes, well I haven’t been feeling that well that past few days, so I’m just resting. I’m having fun just being here with you all.” he said, patting Nan’s hand.

 

“Aw you, sweetheart.  Well everyone’s getting hungry, so why don’t we go inside and being making some snacks before they’re truly exhausted and whiny.” she offered, standing up and dusting the sand off. Luhan followed suit and 30 minutes later, iced tea, sandwiches, cookies and cooling pizza bagels were sitting on the counter while everyone tumbled inside, tired and hungry.

 

They all ate, talking, watching TV and playing while Luhan snuck upstairs, already spent for the day. Plopping on his bed, Luhan nearly jumped out his skin when a hesitant knock sounded from the open door frame.

 

“Hey, can we talk?” Kai asked, voice low.

 

“I really don’t have anything to talk to you about, Kai.” Luhan iced back, making Kai flinch.

 

“I know, I should’ve told you. I didn’t think it would come to this. That night… I just wanted to make love to you. One last time.” Kai’s eyes were sad as he admitted the painful truth.

 

“You…. you got... I’m pregnant, Kai. You didn’t wear a and I’m pregnant. And you can’t claim your baby because that would tie you to me and you need to marry Taeyeon.”

“Luhan.” Kai made a tortured sound. “We can’t.. you have to get rid of it. Abort it, please.”

Luhan wasn’t exactly looking for a happy reaction, but definitely not a demand to get rid of his baby.

 

“How...how could you even think I could do something like that? He’s part of me and you and I love him already. Why would even need to? You’ll be here, taking care of the pack. I’ll go back to college until the baby’s born and I’ll figure something out.”

 

“Male pregnancy are so hard, Luhan. It’s be difficult, especially since you’re a half-breed. I’ll have ties to the baby too. It’s not something I need on my mind while I rule the pack.” Kai frowned and tried approach Luhan, frowning harder when he backed away.

 

“Do what you want, Kai. I’m keeping my baby. I’m staying until the engagement party, which is in a week, then I’ll leave. Now go, I’m tired and you’re making me feel sick.” Luhan motion to the door, scooting back in his bed.

 

“I--” Kai looked ready to push more on this topic was abruptly cut off by his brother shouting his name.

 

“Kai-ah? Where are you?” Tao yelled from downstairs. “Come on, we’re going to get ice cream.”

 

“I’m coming, Tao. Give me a second.” Kai shouted back before turning back to Luhan. “Are you coming?”

 

Luhan just shook his head. “Tell them I’m tired. I’d really rather not.”

 

~

 

“Ah, Luhan’s been asleep for hours. Someone should wake him up for dinner.” Luhan’s uncle said, setting the places at the table.

 

“I’ll do it.” Kai volunteered, shooting up from the couch. Luhan’s mother eyed him warily and shook her head.

 

“Don’t worry honey, I’ve got it. Luhan’s isn’t feeling well. I’ll give him a mother’s remedy and be back down in a jiffy.”  

 

Upstairs, Luhan’s mother knocked on his door before hearing a soft welcome in. “Hey, Lu. How are you feeling?”

 

“Better, I just needed a nap. What time is it?” Luhan stretched and yawned, smiling at him mother.

 

“Uh, just around seven. Lu, honey, you slept for five hours. Are you sure, you’re okay?” she asked, feeling his forehead for a fever. “You’re not warm."

 

"I'm fine umma, really. I'll freshen up and join you all downstairs for dinner, okay?" Luhan patted his mother's hand reassuringly before going into the bathroom.

 

Inside, he noticed what must've bothering his mother and everyone else. Luhan’s already pale skin has faded to a terrible pallor, closely matching the one of a terminally ill person. Gulping, Luhan also noticed the skinniness of limbs from the lack of stable food. After all, anything he’s eaten won’t stay in, especially heavy meats and dairy. To add on top of all of that, Luhan had been aching all day, staying out of the fun and sleeping like the dead.

 

Eyeing his nearly flat tummy, Luhan sighed and shook his head. “You should be glad that I love you already, or I don’t know how long I would be able to put with all of this.” With that, he patted his little stomach and went downstairs to join everyone for dinner, making a point to interact with everyone and have fun.

 

~

 

While Jongin, Taeyeon, Baekhyun and Tao went off to the play on the beach, the next day, Luhan stayed under the patio’s shade, silently researching baby names on his computer. Some paternal instinct told him this baby was going to a cute little boy and he was scrolling through the boys’ section.

 

“Luhaaann!” Baekhyun called from the water. “Come play!”

 

Luhan began to decline but paused when noticed the disappointment on Baekhyun’s face. “Uh..okay. Let me just grab something.”

 

A few minutes later, Luhan returned with waterproof sunscreen rubbed all over him. Leaving his sandals at the patio, Luhan walked across the hot sand to where his cousins, Kai and Tao were playing in the water. He only when knee-deep, shivering in the chilly water.

 

“Come on you pussycat. The water gets better.” Baekhyun yelled. “We’re playing water-polo. Hurry up!”

 

Grumbling, Luhan shivered but entered the water further, all the way to where they were playing. “Luhan’s it!” Baekhyun tapped Luhan and rushed off giggle when Luhan scowled.

 

“Marco!” Luhan shouted hesitantly. Four polos in four different directions responded but only one stood out to him; Kai’s deep, raspy call. He tried to ignore it and swam towards Tao’s call but missed by miles.

 

“Marco.” Luhan heard Taeyeon’s ‘polo’ and rushed through the water towards her. Again, he missed and called once more, finally giving in and following Kai’s ‘polo’. This time, however, he didn’t miss and swam right into Kai’s chest.

 

Peeling his eyes open, Luhan peered at Kai from under his eyelashes. “You’re it.” he murmured.

 

Kai didn’t respond, just slid his hand to cup Luhan’s stomach. Luhan’s breath caught in his throat as Kai moved forward, as if to press their lips together.

 

“Kai-ah!” Luhan sprung back, plastering a fake smile on, turning to his cousin who’d called Kai’s name.

 

“Kai’s it!” Luhan declared too-cheerfully. “I’m kind of hungry. I’m going to go inside. Have fun!” he swam past Taeyeon, stumbling to shore and into the house, seconds before the tears came. He only made it up a few stairs before stopping and sitting on a step. Kai was playing hot and cold with Luhan’s delicate feelings and it was killing him.

 

“Luhan? What’s wrong? Did you hurt yourself?” Baekhyun questioned, sitting next to his cousin. “Come on, tell me. I hate seeing my dongsaeng crying.” he rubbed circles in Luhan’s back letting him cry. The tears ceased for a few seconds and Baekhyun spoke up again. “Lulu?”

 

“If I tell you hyung, you can tell anyone. I mean it, not a soul. No matter what.” Luhan wagged his finger, trying to look stern but failed, looking more scared than anything else.

 

“Deal.” Baekhyun agreed hesitantly, giving Luhan an odd look.

 

“Okay, I might as well start from the beginning… You know Kai and I went to the same primary and boarding school, right?” Baekhyun nodded silently. “We were best friends. He was the only person outside of the family that didn’t hate me for being a half-blood. I-I had a c-crush on him since grade school, you know. We were sharing rooms and we got really close. I became really possessive and needy, and by then, Kai already had an idea of how I felt about him. At some point, he returned the feelings and we started dating around last years of high school.. We were still dating we came back...and..” Luhan was interrupted by the hiccup. “And, I’m pregnant. With Kai’s baby.” he hung his head in shame. “I’m always going to bring shame to the family.”

 

Baekhyun angrily popped Luhan on the head before cringing and apologizing. “I shouldn’t have done that to a pregnant person. But you’re not a shame, Luhan. You got pregnant, whoops. It’s going to complicate things but you’re not a disgrace, ever. Don’t think like that.”

 

“Thanks, hyung.” Luhan murmured, wiping away the few tears that lingered on his cheeks.

 

“Are you going to tell umma?” Baekhyun asked, leaning his head on Luhan’s.

 

“I don’t know. Kai’s wants me to get rid of him and I’m pretty sure auntie would want me to, also. She loves me but the pack comes first. Especially over one half-blood.” Luhan grimaced. “I’m going to leave... Kai doesn’t want me here and even if he did, being here is going to mess up everything for Taeyeon and the pack.”

 

“So you’re just planning to drop off the face of the earth an expect that no one will come after you. Umma would search the ends of the earth for you, Luhan.” Baekhyun tsk-ed the younger slightly. “That’s not going to work.

 

“I wouldn’t just leave. I’ll talk to auntie first and tell her I’m going back early from break to get ahead on my studies. Besides, I don’t want to be here. The pack won’t understand once I start to show. Even I say it’s someone else, I’ll be deemed a or a . The Xiao name won’t be able to protect me. My baby won’t grow around hate, Baekhyun.” Luhan’s shoulders filled with tension as he thought about his rocky future.

 

“But Luhan...” Even Baekhyun was lost for words. Luhan was completely right; unless Luhan and the baby was claimed by Kai, Luhan would be fair game for ridicule, teasing and even violence. “What about when the baby’s born? You’ll need a shifter doctor. Odds are the baby will be a wolf.”

 

“I was going to talk to Yixing. He goes to university with me and knows all about male pregnancy, right?”

 

“I guess but Yixing only a few years older than you and male pregnancies are difficult. Maybe you should schedule you something with his father. They might help you, but even though they don’t hate you, they’ll have a responsibility to tell the pack if they realize it’s Kai’s child. Too risky, Luhan.” Baekhyun advised.

 

“Okay.. you’re right.. Wait! There’s a shifter clinic, near the university… that’s perfect too, they won’t know who I am by pack. I can get check-ups and have the baby.” Luhan nodded to himself, unconsciously clutching his stomach.

 

“If that’s what you want, Luhan. I’ll alway be here, just a call away, dongsaeng.” Baekhyun smiled serenely, hugging his cousin tighter.

 

“I know.  You always have been.” Luhan sighed before standing up. “I’m actually hungry. How about I freshen up and then make us something eat.”

 

Baekhyun nodded, standing up along with the younger. “Good idea, I was getting all pruney, anyhow.”   

 

The two cousin sat in the kitchen, eating, talking and laughing, as if they didn’t have a care in the world, when that was the exact opposite.

 


A/N: Chapter #2. Enjoy!!!!! I'm still working on a name, sorry. If you have any suggestions, comment them below. Love you all :)