Fifteen

Forbidden

 

15.

Chapter Fifteen

a/n: not edited


 

Baekhyun is shrieking.

 

“What do you mean you haven’t even bought baby’s clothes yet?” He exclaims, pitch raising with each syllable.

 

Luhan winces at the shrill sounds, “I haven’t asked what the gender of the baby is officially, hyung. Besides, Sehun and I have both been too busy or too tired to buy clothes.”

 

“You don’t know the gender either? Well, what were you two going to do if you hadn’t gotten sick? You’ve got no crib, no wipes, no diapers, no nothing? Thank goodness you hadn’t gone into labor early, or you two just would’ve been outta luck, hm?” Baekhyun teases, plopping down on the bed next to his younger cousin.

 

The two were making quick work of all of Luhan’s clothes when Baekhyun had asked if he’d packed up the baby’s clothes yet, just to find out the baby didn’t have any clothes yet.

 

“I suppose so,” Luhan smiles faintly, “I guess I can just use to hand-me-downs from the pack?”

 

“No way! After our flight lands, if you aren’t too tired, we can go into town and go shopping for some, or even order online. And since you don’t know the gender, we can buy neutral stuff: white, yellow, green. You’re going to need a lot of toiletries too, wipes, diapers, bibs and milk. If we don’t manage to get them, I’ll send Tao to do it.” the elder smiles, helping Luhan fold and roll his clothes.

 

“You sure are excited for me to have my baby, hyung,” Luhan teases, “Are looking for some of your own?”

 

Baekhyun makes a face and shakes his head, “Not quite yet, but I am excited to be an uncle! He’s all mine until he starts screaming...or pooping.”

 

The younger chuckles and opens his mouth to respond, but he’s cut off by Sehun’s voice.

 

“Dinner’s ready, Ms. Sooyeon said she made your favorite, Lu.” the elder interrupts, looking at the bed with an amused smile, “I see you’ve dumped your whole closet on our bed.”

 

“Yep, we’re searching for stuff to Lulu to wear, other than these… drab moomoos.” Baekhyun says, motioning to the long shirt the younger is wearing.

 

“Yah! I like this shirt!” Luhan counters lively, tugging at the loved fabric, “There’s nothing wrong with this shirt!”

 

“It’s an old lady shirt,” Baekhyun replies plainly.

 

“Is not!”

 

The two go back and forth until Sooyeon calls them herself, yelling loudly and startling Baekhyun and Luhan out of their argument.

 

“Come on, the old lady calls,” Baekhyun mutters, launching off the bed and past Sehun.

 

“I heard that!” Sooyeon yells back, drawing another laugh from Luhan.

 

“You haven’t done that in a while,” Sehun says as he helps Luhan off the bed.

 

“I haven’t done what?” Luhan replies absentmindedly, trying to get his leg out from under his weight.

 

“Laughed.”

 

Luhan stops dead in procession, meeting Sehun’s sad gaze, “Sehunnie…”

 

“It’s okay. It’s nice to see, further proves the point that you need to be around your family. You’re already brighter, more radiant, happier, like you were a few weeks ago,” Sehun says, gently tugging Luhan’s leg out from under him and helping him stand.

 

“I am going, Sehun, so there’s nothing else to worry about. I just wish you were coming,” the younger says, pouting slightly.

 

“You’ll be in good hands, plus I’m not pack person. I’m just a call away, you know that,” Sehun says, kissing Luhan’s forehead and leading him to the kitchen, “Come on, your aunt’s waiting.”

 

Luhan follows silently, something like regret bubbling in his stomach.

 

~

 

Luhan rises early the next morning, surprisingly refreshed and energetic. He makes breakfast for everyone, and although he has to sit a few times from dizziness or fatigue, Luhan manages to finish with a decent meal to show for it. A few minutes after he’s finished, his aunt stumbles into the kitchen, tiredly rubbing her eyes.

 

“Luhannie? Why are you up so early? Our flight doesn’t leave for an hour or two,” she mumbles, plopping in a chair and happily accepting the cup of coffee Luhan offers her.

 

“I wanted to make breakfast...you guys coming has really made this little one feel better,” Luhan says, fondly rubbing his stomach.

 

Sooyeon hums into her cup, taking a long sip before placing her hand over Luhan’s. The younger looks up and jolts a little, realizing how older his aunt suddenly looks. There are strands of grey in her silky hair and lines around her eyes and lips.

 

“Luhan,” she begins quietly, “We haven’t talked about...Kai, yet. I’m not mad or disappointed, and you are nothing like your mother...well, you have her spirit and kind nature, but her mistakes will not be yours, nor will they define your life. I’m sorry that I’ve let you live in that fear for so long.”

 

“Auntie…” Luhan says, eyes watering.

 

“Hold on, Lu, I’m not finished… Kai, he’s head alpha and he’s betrothed to Taeyeon. There’s nothing I can do about that now, but I want you and my great niece or nephew to be safe, healthy, protected. The city is nowhere to raise a pup, plus they’ll need to be around family, like me, Baekhyun, and Kai.” Sooyeon squeezed Luhan’s hand, “I don’t know what exactly has happened between you and Kai, although, I ask you to consider what enviroment going to best for the baby.”

 

Luhan sighs, placing his other hand over his aunt’s thinner one, “I know, auntie. I’ll think about it...I really do want what’s best for him, I do.”

 

“I know you do, Lu,” she kisses Luhan’s cheek as she stands, looking over the plates of food on the counter, “Now, what did you so diligently prepare for us this morning?”

 

“Nothing fancy, just some eggs, tofu bacon, and biscuits. It’s all ready, so I can make you a plate if you’d like,” the younger stands as well, taking some plates out of his cupboard.

 

“Sounds good, I’ll get Baekhyun and Sehun up, hm?” she says sweetly before hurrying out of the kitchen.

 

The kitchen door doesn’t even close before he can his aunt yelling and banging on doors, and all Luhan can do is chuckle when Baekhyun and Sehun stumble into the room, looking disturbed.

 

~

 

Kai sits at the head of the round table, rubbing a hand through his hair in exasperation, “And what are their demands again?”

 

“The members of the Western Shore pack that we spoke to are claiming that their territory is too small for their population or that they over hunted the land and it is now more or less desolate,” one member of Tribunal says.

 

“Well, which on is it? Or both?” Kai says irately, trying to ignore the throbbing behind his eyes.

 

“We don’t know, Alpha. The few members we have spoken to are giving different answers, and it could honestly be both,” another member replies.

 

“Is there any answer as to why the alpha hasn’t spoken to us directly or attempted to make a deal? I’m sure we could’ve worked out some type of deal. Now that we’ve merged with the West River pack, we have quite a bit of excess land, much of it untouched.”

“I don’t know, Alpha. It could be that they don’t feel as if they have enough things to barter with,” his father says, forehead lined in concentration

 

“When was the last time…” Kai trails off, eyes watering with the force of his throbbing head.

 

“Alpha? Are you alright?” Tao, who was seated next to him, asked worriedly, “Should I get Yixing?”

 

“I’m fine, Tao...I just have a headache,” Kai clears his throat, “When was the last time we’ve spoken directly to that alpha, anyway? It’s very odd how he’s hides behind his pack. I’ve attended all of the battles, so their pack knows my face well, but we have yet to see his. Has granddad ever spoken face-to-face with him?”

 

Kai’s father shakes his head, “Not that I know of. We’ve spoken to diplomats, Tribunal leaders, his mate, or should I say, mates.”

 

“Mates?” the young alpha asks, frowning, “More than one?”

 

“He’s very...old-fashioned. He has several mates and several children as a result.” Kai’s father responds, “His eldest children are probably adults now, probably my age.”

 

Kai nods slowly, the beginnings of an idea swirling around in his head, even as it was pounding, “Are any of these children alphas? If we’ve never met him, how do we know the pack has an alpha in the first place? There might be someone in charge but not necessarily an alpha. It would explain why we’ve never seen him or her, why the members of their pack were so easily persuaded to give away secrets.”

 

Everyone around the room is quiet, respect etched into their features. Even the older members, who’d been reluctant to trust in the young alpha, nod in acknowledgment. Kai barely notices, but sits up a little straighter, trying to adapt the role of a strong leader.

 

“Until then, I want the members of his pack that we still have custody of questioned, harder. Prod into the numbers of alphas, betas, omegas. Ask about their alpha, his children, about pack life in general. Keep them away from each other, as well. Until then, keep the 8-hour rotation shift up, meaning all able-bodied alphas and betas are participating. Tao, put together a small group of hunters and go hunting tonight. Make sure to grab enough to last a few days, as I want to cut down on the amount of hunting trips. Don’t spend more than 4 hours hunting. If the threat of attack becomes too great to hunt, be prepared draft rations,” Kai finishes his spiel with a sigh, “That is all, the Tribunal is dismissed.”

 

There are no objections and the members of the Tribunal leave quietly, leaving Kai with his aching head. After a moment, Kai stands, wincing at the stab of pain that comes with it. Somehow, he makes it to the door, his head pounding faster with each step. There’s a heavy feeling in his chest as he opens the door to the Tribunal and step outside to the slightly deserted pack centre.

 

“Kai,” a familiar voice says, barely over a whisper.

 

Absentmindedly, Kai wonders how he could hear the nearly silent call of the roaring in his head, but he looks up and freezes.

 

I would hear Luhan’s call from anywhere, is the last thing Kai thinks before his whole world goes black.

 


a/n: tbh i really love this chapter (and the -ish clifhanger ._.). the end is almost near!! and there will be a happy ending! for everyone!! i promise :)