Seven

Forbidden

7.

Chapter Seven


 

Buzz, buzz, buzz!

 

The annoying sound of someone requesting to enter his apartment broke the peaceful cloud of sleep that Luhan had been resting in. Luhan groaned, rubbing his slightly protruding belly before getting up and answering the call.

 

“Hello?” Luhan asked groggily, eyes already sliding close in exhaustion.

 

Yesterday, the last day of school before spring break, was filled with exams and essays that he had stayed up night after night to study for. He had planned to spend the whole break sleeping, except for the one doctor’s appointment he had to attend to.

 

“Hey Hannie! It’s auntie!” the familiar voice greeted.

 

“Aunt S-sooyeon. W-what are you doing here?” he asked shrilly.

 

“Just let us in! We’ll explain once we get inside.” she countered, giggling happily.

 

Us?!? Luhan asked himself nervously.

 

A few short minutes later Luhan was wrapped in a robe, shifting his weight from foot to foot, anxiously staring at the four familiar faces in his living room.

 

“Oh Luhan, I’m so happy for you.” Nan came to hug him. “This is so exciting! A baby!”

 

Luhan returned the hug, patting the older woman. “It is very exciting. So, uh, what are you guys doing here?”

 

“Well, I knew it was your spring break, so I wanted to come and visit you.” Sooyeon stood from her perch on the couch, glancing around the apartment. “And, while I’m here, Nan and I will help you decorate the place for a baby!”

 

“Uhm, that’s not necessary, I can totally--”

 

“Nonsense! All of us didn’t come down for nothing! We’ll go out to the store later on today and pick out some furniture and such. The boys will help us bring it in and by the time we leave, you’ll be all prepared for little bouncing baby!” Sooyeon clapped her hand excitedly.

 

Her last statement left Luhan chilled, however. “Boys? W-what boys?” Like a boy named Kai?

 

“Oh, Kai, Tao and Baekhyun all came down with us to celebrate! Taeyeon did too. They’re all resting at the hotel. Now, enough about that. Dish! When’s your due date and how far along are you?”

 

~

 

By the time Luhan’s family were done with him, he had been grilled harder than a criminal suspected of serial murder. Nervous sweat stuck his shirt to his back by the end of relentless questioning. They had explored every single concept, sector and subject of his budding pregnancy, perilously dancing around on single question: Who is the father?

 

There had few awkward pauses when the thought came of everyone’s mind, no one daring to breach the sensitive topic.

 

“Have you thought about daycare yet? Or the fa-- um, I guess the...uh…” Nan drifted off, realizing the she’d nearly mentioned the seemingly forbidden topic.

 

After a hot moment of uncomfortable silence, Sooyeon picked the conversation back up.

 

“I’ll be down here for a few months after the baby is born, so you can get back to school and finish up, yeah?”

 

Instantly, Luhan was against the idea. “No, auntie. You have a life beyond me. I’ll figure something out. You’ll be needed at the reservation.”

 

“No, no. You’re more important. Kai and Taeyeon will be married, and Kai will be Head Alpha. I’ll just relinquish my chair on the Tribunal and come down to be here with you.” Sooyeon shrugged as if it was no big deal.

 

“No! I can’t let you give up that chair. You campaigned for years for that chair. You’re not relinquishing it on the account of me.” Luhan shook his head vehemently.

 

The older woman opened to argue with her nephew, but was quickly cut off by her husband. “Sooyeon, let’s not argue, okay? Everything will figure itself out in due time.”

 

Sooyeon sighed, relenting and pecking her husband’s cheek. “You’re right, Jaewoo. Anyhow, now that we’re all here, we should go out to lunch, hm? I’ll call Kai and them at the hotel and tell them to get ready. You get dressed too, Luhan.”

 

Nodding solemnly, Luhan trudged to his room, too nervous and tired to argue with his aunt.

 

~

 

To say lunch was awkward would be the understatement of the year, only for Kai, Luhan and Taeyeon, of course. And it just so happens they were sitting across from each other: Taeyeon next to Kai, obviously, and Luhan perched just across the table, eyes glued to the shiny silverware and hands resting protectively over his bulging stomach. The conversation swirled around the trio, all of whom stayed quiet, interlocked in their own thoughts.

 

“Kai! Are you listening?” Nan snapped loudly, gaining her son’s wandering attention.

 

“Yeah, mom, what’s up?” he responded sluggishly.

 

Nan sighed in annoyance. “You obviously weren’t listening, but I’ll continue. I was just talking about how Luhan should come down for the wedding. I mean you two are best friends, right? It’s in late August, in the woods of the reservation. I mean that sounds great, right?”

 

“No--”

 

“I don’t--”

 

“He doesn’t--”

 

Three voice piped up to disagree with Nan’s suggestion startling everyone at the table into momentary silence.

 

“Uhm, in A-august might b-be a bad t-time, you k-know? I’ll be in m-my last t-trimester and c-close to giving birth. It wouldn’t be a g-good idea.” Luhan managed to stutter.

 

“Yeah, it wouldn’t be safe, hm? Luhan should stay right where he is.” Taeyeon agreement had a sharp edge to it that made Luhan flinch, a movement that didn’t go unnoticed by Kai, who elbowed her slightly.

 

“Tae.” he mumbled quietly.

 

“What?! I’m just being real, yeah? Luhan can’t attend the wedding because he’s pregnant. Oh! And now that we’re talking about Luhan’s pregnancy, how did that happen in the first place, hm? This guy, whoever he is, isn’t around, so bad blood between you two? Maybe he chose someone else?” Taeyeon snapped, harsh words cutting into Luhan’s heart like knives.

 

“Taeyeon! How dare you say things like that to you cousin?” Sooyeon asked, angrily.

 

“How dare I?” Taeyeon jumped up in her chair, in outrage. “How dare he? My wedding has taken a backseat all this foolishness. Obviously, he’s been sleeping around, so how does that certify all of this attention? It’s my time. Not his.”

 

The whole table lapsed into silence, staring at Taeyeon, who just sighed. “Whatever. I’m leaving.” she snatched up her clutch, and stomped away from the table.

 

Suddenly, everyone’s eyes shifted to Luhan’s small frame. Their gazes were heavy on his small shoulders and Luhan trembled under the scrutiny.

 

“Luhan?” his aunt’s soft call was enough to make the younger jump up.

 

Tears burning in his eyes, Luhan kept his focus on everything except a person. “I’m just going to freshen up in the bathroom.”

 

“Lu-” Sooyeon began again, but the boy was already gone.

 

Awkward silence reigned again before Kai broke it, standing up.

 

“I’ll go talk him.” was all he said before stalking in the direction Luhan had scurried away in.

 

~

 

Luhan’s hands trembled, wiping away the tears that fell upon his cheeks.

 

She’s right, you know, a little dark voice murmured, She has Kai, you have nothing but a broken heart full of shame.

 

Heaviness settled in his stomach and Luhan felt sick. A little part of him gave up and tears streamed down his cheeks freely, sobs wracking his body.

 

“Luhan, stop.” Arms wrapped around his rounded waist. “You’re making yourself sick, Lu.”

 

Only for a moment, Luhan let himself relax in the familiar embrace before jerking away.

 

“Don’t touch me!” he screeched shrilly.

 

“Lu-”

 

“You can’t. Not me or my baby, not when you pushed us away.” Luhan sniffled, standing away. “Don’t make it harder for me than it already is, Kai. Just go after, Taeyeon. Choose her. You always will.” the younger male turned his back on Kai, waiting for the bathroom to close with a soft, but determining click.

 

However, the cold breeze of Kai walking out the door chilled Luhan far more.  

 


A/n: Herro! Ugh, authornim is soo soo soo sorry. I really wanted to update all of my stories sooner but I lost almost all of my muse. It just flew out the door. I'm sorry. It's coming back, full force and I'll try to update this sometime this week. Anyhoo, it's late. I love you all, thank you for supporting my stories. <33 Comment below if you enjoyed this chapter. ^.^