Ten

Forbidden

 

10.

Chapter Ten

 


 

 

 

“No….No….Ew not this.” Luhan sighed in exasperation at the piles of clothes on his floor. “Why can’t I find something to wear, dammit! Oops, no cursing around the baby.”

 

Luhan flopped on his bed, knocking of a few discarded outfits in the process. For the past half hour the bloated male had been picking through his closet for something to wear. In an effort to save money, Luhan forgoed buying any pregnancy clothes, settling for stretchy sweatpants and baggy t-shirts. That method has worked for school and just bumming around the apartment but it's not going to cut it at a classy restaurant, now that he was too big to squeeze in a pair of slacks. Nothing in his closet fit nicely and Luhan groaned again, pouting at his bulging stomach.

 

“I love you, but you’ve gotten so big.” he murmured to his small mountain-like belly.

 

Just as Luhan was about to try and go digging through his closet for a third time, a distant buzz sounded through his apartment followed by the locks being slid open by Sehun, who was patiently waiting for the younger to get dressed. There was muffled conversation and then call out to him.

 

“Hey, Lu, your family’s here. Are you ready yet?” Sehun asked, knocking on his door.

 

A weight settled on Luhan’s chest at the simple question and as he took a breath to answer, it got stuck in his throat, turning into a sob for some inexplicable reason. Before he could stop, tears trailed down his cheeks and he cried loudly, drawing another concerned knock for Sehun before he stepped in without warning.

 

“Luhan? What’s wrong, why are you crying?” he asked, perching on the bed next to him. “Calm down, you’re going to cry yourself sick.”

 

Luhan took his advice, taking a deep breath before responding in a stuffy voice. “I’m sorry, I’m not ready. I just can’t find anything to wear...everything is so hard being pregnant! All can do is waddle and cry.” he exclaimed, dragging his hands through his head in distress.

 

Sehun look surprised for a moment, before biting back his giggles and trying to take Luhan seriously. “I'm sure your family can wait just a moment, while I help you find something. Nothing to get upset about, babe.” the older jumped up, kissed Luhan’s forehead and set off on rummaging through Luhan’s closet, a little more carefully than the pregnant male had earlier.

 

The younger just sat on the bed, helplessly watching as Sehun tested the stretchiness of various shirts and pants, all for Luhan as his family waited in the living room. A little smile crept onto his face as he watched, noticing the little lines in Sehun’s forehead that showcased his determination in finding suitable clothing for Luhan to try on.

 

He’s going to be a good daddy, Luhan thought suddenly. Immediately, his heart jerking in response, wanting to feel guilty, but knowing that it was pointless, considering that Kai wanted nothing do with their-- no his baby and Sehun stepped up to the plate in his stead. The longer Luhan watched the elder work tirelessly, the more his heart opened up to him, a little bit by bit.  

 

“Found it! Alas, I knew there was something in here. It even matches well.” Sehun rose from his knees, grasping a maroon wool tunic and loose dress pants, a nice shade of charcoal. “Here, go throw this on and then we can face your family.” he laid the clothes on the bed, pressed another kiss on Luhan’s cheek and swiftly left the room, sparing the younger one last wink before closing the door.

 

Glancing at the actually nice clothes picked for him, Luhan smiled to himself, a warm feeling encasing his chest for the first time in a while.

 

~


 

Dinner was even more awkward than lunch, even without Taeyeon there. His beloved elder cousin had to take a pass on the family gathering, preferring to stay home as she nursed a cold. Most of the cold atmosphere came from Kai, who switched between glaring at Luhan, Sehun and his fancy dinner. Everyone at the table noticed the iciness, though most didn’t understand where it came from, and stayed away from talking about anything heavy.

 

“So, Lu, do you plan on finishing college after the baby’s born?” Nan asked conversationally as she dug into her rice.

 

Luhan shrugged noncommittally, chewing the food in his mouth before answering. “I might just finish up my courses online for a few months after and then go back once the price of daycare gets lower. Sehun and I will figure something out for sure.”

 

“My jobs hours are easily rearrangeable, and I’m sure I can get off a little earlier to help Luhan with the baby. Maybe he can take some night classes until the baby gets a little older.” Sehun laid his hand over Luhan’s squeezing it slightly. “Whatever works best for Lu.”

 

Sooyeon had hearts in her eyes, squealing at the sight of Sehun doting on her baby. “You both are so cute and passionate! It warms my heart.”

 

Kai growled in his chest, but it went unnoticed by everyone except Baekhyun who sat next to him. Baekhyun smirked at him, raising an eyebrow and shaking his head in disdain.

 

“What?” Kai snapped under his breath.

 

“You are a . You’re getting a territorial over someone who is no longer yours. It’s time to move on, Kai. I’ve told you this many times, but it’s not catching. Maybe...maybe you should leave early. Move the wedding up, forget about Luhan, invest yourself in our pack. I want you and Luhan to be happy and to move on. Luhan has Sehun, you have Taeyeon.”  Baekhyun paused, peering at Kai. “You need to make a decision and then commit to it.”

 

Kai considered the words quietly, staying in silent contemplation for the rest of dinner. Soon, they were finished with dinner and everyone parted, somewhat cheerfully. By the time Kai reached the hotel, he’d already made his decision.

 

~

 

All the way up to his room, Kai buzzed with nervous energy. He was prepared for the worse when he told his parents his decision, one he was determined to stand firm on. After exiting the elevator, Kai strode towards his parents’ room, ready to rip the bandage off and move on.

 

Almost as soon as he knocked on the door, it opened, revealing his mother, her face pale and eyes filled with apprehension.

 

“Kai? I was just about to look for you.” she ushered him in, closing the door quickly.

 

Inside, his father was talking on the phone in a rushed tone, whilst pacing and running a hand through his hair. Sooyeon sat on the spare bed, twisting her hands in her lap, watching Kai’s father pace.

 

“What’s going on?” Kai asked as he took in the tense scene. “What’s wrong?”

 

“The Western Shore pack attacked us,” his mother told him, “A few hunters caught their scent in our territory, nearly a mile from the territory line.”

 

“But that doesn’t mean anything, right? I mean, it could just be couple of cubs who got lost. Nothing to panic over.” Kai interjected, frowning in confusion.

 

“That’s was the Tribunal thought when the hunters reported it. Nonetheless, they sent out a few guards, just to trace the territory line for any other breaches. Two of our guards were attacked at the river by five of their wolves. It’s practically an act of war, Kai!” Nan was in hysterics now, and Sooyeon stood, leading her to the bed to sit down.

 

“We have to return now; your father’s getting us tickets for the next flight out of Busan. I believe it leaves in an hour or two, so start packing.” Sooyeon gestured to the empty suitcases by the bed.

 

Kai nodded dutifully and reached for one of the bag, but hesitated grabbing it. He thought of the decision he’d made a few moments ago; to stay with Luhan and his baby, forfeiting the title of Head Alpha to another boy, and the lineage to another family.  Now, however, his pack was on the brink of war with another, equally strong pack, of which had been after their land for decades. His head was filled with pictures of a glowing Luhan, cuddling a ruddy-cheeked baby boy. Just the thought made his heart swell, but the picturesque scene was quickly slain by images of bloody battles and the deaths of his beloved packmates, of his brother, father and friends.

 

“Kai,” Sooyeon’s voice brought him back to reality, “What are you waiting for?”

 


A/N: IM (temporarily) BACKKKKKK!!!! Hello!! Here's Forbidden, for all my lovely subbies! It's a little rushed, I know, but there it is for you, nonetheless. I hope you like this little filler! I love you all, enjoy!! 
ALSO VOTE FOR BABY GENDER BELOW AND GIVE ME NAME IDEAS PLEASE <3