Twelve

Forbidden

(a/n: you might want to read the last chapter to catch up, i haven't posted in awhile :/) 

12.

Chapter Twelve

 


 

 

Before Taeyeon could come in, Kai stood up and got out, walking straight past Taeyeon and Yixing. Taeyeon lets out a squeal of, “Oppa!” while Yixing simply sighs, eying Kai with disdain.

 

“And what in the hell do you think you’re doing?” the doctor asks, watching as the alpha slowly limps to a chair to sit down in, “Doctor’s orders were to stay in the bed and rest up.”

 

Kai grimaced as he slowly lowers into the chair, every muscle in his body screaming at him and shrugs, wincing afterwards, “You never explicitly said to stay in bed, doc. I don’t like being cooped up in places. You know that.”

 

Yixing pins him with a bland look, “They were implied, Kai. I told you that I was close to chopping off one of those nice limbs of yours. How did you not still get the gist?” he groans and shakes his head, “It’s not about being cooped up, it’s about rest. You have infections that your body needs to fight, countless bruised bones, a fracture or two and some torn ligaments thrown in there, as well. You can't just take a cat nap and expect everything to be better. It would be best if you stayed in the bed for the next day or two and then maybe move around. No fighting or battles for a week or two at best. Ideally, an entire month, but I know I can’t tie you down for that long.”

 

The young alpha blanched at the thought of a whole week without battle, considering they come in such rapid succession now, with the Western Shore pack unlawfully crossing his borders, threatening his guards. It was quite the audacious little stunt the Head Alpha of the Western Shore pack was pulling, causing Kai to peg him as a coward-- too afraid to test himself against Kai’s skills and training, like real Head Alphas should do. Furthermore, Kai would be forced to endure the week with Taeyeon's constant buzzing and along with his mother’s, all while trying to forget Luhan and his child-- something he knew, deep down, wouldn’t happen. Battling with nearly unbearable injuries sounded much more appealing at this point, and Kai opened his mouth to try to reason with his long-time friend.

 

Yixing noticed and shook his head, “No, Kai, we’re not discussing this. As the Head Alpha of this pack, you can't go back out to battle, injured as you are. It could cripple you, kill you even. I just can’t, Kai.”

 

Kai slumped in defeat when he saw the sad look in Yixing’s eyes and nodded. “Very well, Yixing. I know you that you are only looking out for me and I understand. I am not angry.”

 

The older doctor smiled, gesturing toward the bedroom he’d just left, “Come on, back to bed. You need rest, and the more you get, the sooner you’ll be back on your feet.”

 

Complying, the young alpha found him back in the sickbay bed, left alone with Taeyeon, who sported a too-bright smile.

 

“Oppa! I’m so happy that you’re okay. Everyone was worried when Jongdae brought you in. Your mother was crying and the Tribunal talked of preparations if you… you know,” she drifted off, eyes misty and voice thick, making Kai feel strangely guilty.

 

He had no feelings whatsoever for Taeyeon, but she was still his wife-to-be and perhaps she’d already begun to fall in love with him, even though he would probably never be able to reciprocate the feelings.

 

Instead of warding her feelings off with the usual ice-cold reassurances, he softened bit, “It’s okay, I’m okay,” he said simply, hoping it was enough.

 

The simple words seemed to do the trick because Taeyeon gave him a small, tight smile, “I think we both know that’s not true,” she said, standing up, “I will go tell your mother that you’re awake. She’ll want to come see you.”

 

Taeyeon leaves before he can respond, leaving confusion and cold gust of air in her wake.

 

~

 

By the time Kai’s mother leaves, he’s been scolded seven ways ‘till Sunday, threatened with bodily harm several times and then coddled as if he was still the clumsy, little six-year-old boy who accidentally ran into a tree and broke his nose. At some point, Kai’s father dropped by, patting his shoulder and promising to return with the advisors and Tribunal members, so that Kai can still run the pack. His father also informs him that there was another skirmish, this time without any pack casualties.

 

Nightfalls quickly and Yixing serves him around of painkillers to help him sleep, along with a sleep aid, just to finish out the job.

 

Kai gets a full night of sleep for the first time in several months.

 

~

I’m sorry and I miss you.

 

This is the last line of the short, yet sweet letter from his aunt. Her writing small and neat in the beginning and, growing larger and looser as it progresses, as if she began speeding to finish. She tells Luhan of all that has happened at the pack and it makes Luhan’s heart squeeze. Even though most of his pack didn’t care for him, Luhan didn’t want anything to happen to his family and friends, especially his aunt, cousins, and Kai, if Luhan was being honest with himself.

 

And, if the pregnant male was going to be completely honest with himself, he really couldn’t forget about Kai. Everything and anything somehow lead back to alpha and Luhan couldn’t go a day, let alone a few hours, without thinking of him, of wondering how he was doing, and if he was happy. Guilt and longing burned in his gut each time Kai popped into his mind because soon following his appearance in his head, would be Sehun and the feeling that he was betraying him, somehow. Sometimes, after Sehun visits and the only thing Luhan can still think about is Kai, the feeling would overwhelm him, allowing that salty ball of tears in his throat rise and leak from his eyes in the form of shoulder-shaking sobs.

 

It's during those crashes that Luhan nearly calls Sehun, telling him that he can’t do this, whatever their relationship has evolved into, that he tried, but he can’t love Sehun and can’t stop loving Kai. But, while his finger hovers over the call button, selfish fear clears his head enough for reason to make an appearance and Luhan throws the phone down.

 


a/n: hellloooo! (it's me) sorry :P It's been a very, very long few weeks and several things have happened since I last posted. I have been dealing with several personal issues and haven't been able to write, pretty much at all and I sincerely apologize. I hope you guys aren't too mad :) This chapter is very filler-ishy and all about feelings but it was the best I could do. Do not fret! The is coming soon, as is the baby, so please anticipate! (I hopefully won't take so long this time :) ) Like always, thanks for reading~!