Three

Forbidden

 

3.

Chapter Three


“Guess what, everyone?” Taeyeon squealed early the next morning. “Today, we’re going dress shopping. All the girls are going with me to the bridal shop on the island. Boys, you can do whatever.” she beamed happily, bouncing on the balls of her feet.

 

“Perfect. That gives us guys time to go to outdoor gym. It’s really cool and hardcore. You guys are going to love it.” Kai’s dad piped up.

 

Luhan’s stomach dropped to his feet. Not only did the idea of spending the day with Kai frighten him, but the notion of doing rigorous exercise that would cause him to lose his baby did also.

 

“I think I’m going to skip, Mr. Kim. I’ll go with the girls to the bridal shop.” Luhan said, breaking through the chatter.

 

“Are you sure, son? It won’t be that hard. I’m sure you could do something.” Mr. Kim frowned, pausing in conversation to Tao about the gym.

 

“I’m sure, Mr. Kim. I-I’m still getting over a stomach flu. I think it would best if I just took it easy.” Luhan’s voice wavered and his cheeks heated.

 

“Okay, Luhan. If you’re sure, that’s fine.” Mr. Kim relented, sparing a withering glance towards Kai, who was glaring at the other.

 

“Awesome. Well, I’m full. I think I’m going to take a walk on the beach before we go.” Luhan left his barely-touched plate on the table before standing up and leaving.

 

“We leave at 11 for the bridal shower, be there or be square.” Taeyeon called out as he left.

 

Abandoning his shoes on the porch, Luhan settled to walk in the cool ocean water. As he strolled down the coastline, Luhan pulled out his phone.

 

“Hello, you have reached the Busan City Speciality Clinic. This is Minseok speaking, how may I help you?” a male voice answered after a few rings.

 

“Hello, um, I would like to schedule a shifter check-up.” Luhan asked hesitantly.

 

“Okay!” A series of clicking followed his request and Minseok spoke up again. “Is there any specific doctor that you wish to see? And this is a male pregnancy, correct?”

 

“No, no one specific, and yes. It’s a male pregnancy.”

 

“Okay, any specific date?” Minseok tapped the keyboard again.

 

“Uh…” Luhan counted the days until after Taeyeon’s engagement party and finally came back with a date. “December 30th?”

 

“Okay, the only doctor available on that date is Dr.  Kwon Hyorin. She specializes in male pregnancy. Is this satisfactory?”

 

“Y-yes, thank you.” Luhan’s hands shook slightly as he hung up and slid the phone back into the pocket.

 

In his mind, his pregnancy was finally reality, no longer just a known thought, but an actual, living fact that Luhan would have to live with.

 

And that scared him.

 

~

 

“Ah, look at all of these dresses! They’re so beautiful. How will I be able to pick one.” Taeyeon declared as soon as the stepped into the bridal shop. Nan and Luhan’s aunt ooh-ed and ahh-ed at the sparkly displays and gorgeous dresses. The women walked around the store, pausing at anything that caught their eyes. Luhan lingered behind, fatigue already settling into his muscles.  

 

“Ladies! Oh- and gentlemen, excuse me. Your room his ready. My name is Jessica, I’ll help you pick a dress and accessories today. Would you like wine, tea or any type of soft drink? We also have some snacks, the menu is on the table where you’ll be sitting.” Jessica led them to a private room.

 

On one side there was a changing room and a long, top-to-floor mirror. A few feet behind it were several chairs and coffee table.

 

“Would anyone like anything to drink?” Jessica asked as soon as everyone was seated.

 

“White wine would be nice. How does that sound, everyone?” Mrs. Kim asked.

 

“Uh, I’ll just have green tea. I don’t want to drink anything that will upset my stomach.” Luhan objected sheepishly.

 

Jessica nodded and walked off to get their drinks, leaving the women and Luhan to talk.

 

“So any ideas of the type of dress you want?” Luhan’s aunt asked Taeyeon. “We don’t have to buy today, but it would great if we could.

 

“I’m thinking of a magical theme? We have to get married under the Tribunal canopy, anyway. I was thinking we could add lights and get lots of white flowers to give it an ethereal look. I wanted a dress that would reflect that theme.” Taeyeon said dreamily.

 

“Yes, beautiful. You know what will look great with that theme? Lace. Beautifully woven lace. And you have perfect skin, so white lace will look so good on you.” Nan added. “What do you think, Sooyeon?”

 

Luhan’s aunt looked thoughtful. “That would so pretty. A long dress with a trail would look fantastic too. A lace trail would be very chic.”

 

Taeyeon opened to speak but Luhan interrupted her. “A braid.” he mumbled.

 

“What, Luhan? Speak up, baby.” Sooyeon pouted.

 

“A braid, wrapped into a bun with a flower crown. That would look very pretty. It would make you look like a fairy princess.” the boy said louder, grimacing as he imagined the look in his head. His cousin would look beautiful. No wonder she was made a wife for Kai. They would be great together.

 

“Wow. That would look great. Minimal jewelry, maybe some simple diamond studs and bam! You’ve got your wedding look down.” Sooyeon grinned at the other two women, blind to Luhan’s cringes.

 

“Indeed. What do you think, Taeyeon?” Nan asked, turning to her future daughter-in-law.

 

“I think my wedding is going to be perfect. You guys are going to make it the best wedding the world.” A big smile spread over Taeyeon face and Luhan couldn’t help but to smile return.

 

He couldn’t be miserable if his cousin was so excited, could he?

 

Jessica brought back their drinks and the women quickly bombarded her with their ideas. She snapped as if a light bulb lit in her head. “Ah! I’ve got a few things that would be perfect.”  

 

Strutting over to tall and long panel Luhan just noticed, she hit a button the side and the panels slide open revealing a huge closet of wedding dresses. The dresses were connected to rotation system and the dresses rushed past until Jessica suddenly stopped, plucking out a few dresses in Taeyeon’s size.

 

“Here: try on this first one.” Jessica handed Taeyeon one of the dresses and pushed her towards the fitting room.

 

All of the dresses were nice, but, according to Taeyeon, each of them were missing that ‘special something’ and weren’t the dress for her. An hour passed into two and three, and the women showed no signs of tiredness, unlike Luhan, who was practically snoozing in his chair.

 

“Awh!” Luhan jerked up in his chair at the sound of surprise from his aunt. “I think this is the one.”

 

Taeyeon was wearing another dress, this one a pure white that set off Taeyeon’s naturally pale skin. The bodice was tight and flared out at the hips, showcasing her perfect figure. Each end of the dress was trimmed lace in the design of delicate flowers.

 

“Wow. I really think this is the dress.” Nan murmured, voice thick. Luhan’s eyes shot to his aunt’s face when she sniffled in agreement. Tears streaked down her face as she gazed at Taeyeon with awe and pride.

 

“Ah Taeyeon. You have truly made me proud. You’re such a beautiful woman, far more than I could’ve ever dreamed.” the words made Luhan’s heart crush and he sighed.

 

Taeyeon seemed to have everything Luhan didn’t: Kai, his aunt’s pride and the birthright. He couldn’t even tell his family that he was pregnant with Kai’s baby, nor that he and Kai had been in a relationship without facing backlash.

 

Quietly, Luhan slipped out of the room and down the hall to the bathroom. His back slid down the wall, matching pace with the tears rolling down his cheeks. The tears came fast and he quickly dried them, not wanting to be missed, though Luhan doubted he would.

 

When he came back to the room, they were still gushing over the dress and didn’t even notice that Luhan had left, just like he’d suspected. After few more minutes, Taeyeon decided they would buy the dress now and soon they were finally headed home.

 

As soon as Luhan reached his room, he crashed, emotionally and physically exhausted.

 

~

 

The days ran by quickly and before he knew, it was time for the family to return to the reservation for Taeyeon and Kai’s engagement party. Preparations were already being made when they arrived back home and Luhan was sort of glad for the distractions. Everyone left him alone and allowed him to be solitary. The only one who really paid him any mind was Baekhyun, who made a point to constantly check on his younger cousin.

 

It was the day of Taeyeon’s engagement party, Luhan barely talked to anyone except Baekhyun, of course, until dinner when the party would take place. The pack’s most important members were all there, mixing and mingling. By 10, the party was in full swing and Luhan was completely being anti-social by himself in Tao’s room. He was curled up in a blanket on Tao’s small couch, reading a book when a knock sound at the door.

 

“Come in.” Luhan bidded without thinking. His features instantly hardened when Kai stepped through the threshold.

 

“What do you want?” Luhan asked, voice cold with thinly veiled anger.

 

Kai flinched at his tone. “I want to know what you’re going to do with...it.”

 

“You want to know what I am going to do with my baby?” Luhan supplied angrily. “I guess since you won’t claim him, it’s none of your business, huh?”

 

“Please.” Kai looked pained, the soft plea barely detected by the Luhan’s ears.

 

“If you must know, I’m going back to school early. I assume you’re not coming back, not when you have a pack to lead.” Luhan paused when Kai nodded in confirmation and shrugged. “I’ll figure out something after the baby’s born. However, I’m not getting rid of our child. And as far as you’re concerned, you never have to see him again. You need not send money or even contact me after I leave in a few days. He’s my responsibility, not yours.”

 

A frown tugged at Kai’s lips and he sighed before speaking. “I already feel drawn to it. I can feel it.”

 

Luhan smarted at the way Kai continued to address their child as ‘it’. “He, Kai. He’s a baby, not an abomination.”

 

His face hardened and Kai cursed. “I-I just can’t okay?! I can’t connect with it! I can’t let myself love it or you. I’m getting married in a few months and I’m going to be leading the most powerful pack in Korea! This wasn’t supposed to happen. It’s a mistake.”

 

Luhan’s own blood boiled with anger and he had trouble keeping his voice calm. “He is a blessing. When we made him, we loved each other. You don’t love me now, and that’s okay. It’s okay, because when I leave, I’ll him and he’ll have me, and we won’t need you.” he pointed to the door. “Now, leave.”

 

“No, Luhan, you need to listen to me. You don’t understand. I can’t lead a pack with you and this...this…”

 

“A baby, Kai. A baby! Say it, dammit!” Luhan stood up from his spot the couch, emitting a sigh. “You know what? Forget it. If you won’t leave, I will. I’ve got packing to do anyway.”

 

“Wait. No, Luhan. I didn’t mean to… I love you. I do.” Kai sounded defeated and tired, matching Luhan’s own state of mind.

 

“You love me, but you want me to abort our child. You love me, but you want and have to marry my cousin. You love me, but you can’t be with me.” the younger sighed, rubbing his head. “You love me, but…? Maybe you should just stop loving me.”

 

“I-I can’t, Luhan. I just can’t stop loving you.”  

 

“Well, you’re going to have to try, because we can’t-- no, I can’t do this. Goodbye, Kai forget about me and our baby.” Luhan stormed out of the room, and straight into Taeyeon.

 



A/N: ahhhhh. here are all my feels, come and take them. the name is now Forbidden. suggested by my beautiful subscriber, Aigo-is-Deby. she's awesome! thanks babe. let me know if you want this story to be longer or shorter. I'm leaning towards shorter, because my chapters are so long and I already have an idea of what the conflict and end is going to be. It will probably be 10-20 chapters if I can manage that. :) don't forget comment and subscribe!