Thirteen

Forbidden

13.

Chapter Thirteen

previously on Forbidden: 

Kai's pack was attacked, resulting in Kai returning to the reservation and leaving Luhan.

he was in a battle with the opposing pack, leaving him severely injured.

instead of dealing w/ his feelings, Kai throws himself into battle,

letting himself being wounded in order to (unsuccessfully) drown out the pain of being away from Luhan

and his child :( 


 

 

Sehun unlocks the door with the spare key given to him months ago by Luhan. The apartment is cool, just like how Luhan likes it, and too quiet for 9:16 in the morning, considering only class he has starts at 10.

 

He finds the younger curled up on the living room couch, small and pale, curled around his stomach. Luhan really hates missing classes but the purple bags under his beg for sleep and Sehun really doesn’t have heart to anything but drop the groceries he bought for Luhan in the kitchen and carry the younger to his room.

 

Despite being jostled, Luhan stays asleep, burying into the warm covers as soon as Sehun lays him down. Sehun frowns at how light he is despite being just a month away from full term. Looking at Luhan now, Sehun can see the toll pregnancy is taking on him: the pale, easily-bruised skin, the dark circles around his eyes, and general feeling of malaise and fatigue. Sehun worriedly chews at his lip before resolving to ask Luhan to go to the doctor later this week.

 

~

 

Later that week, Luhan and Sehun sit in the doctor's office. Luhan’s specialist, Dr. Kwon, pokes and prods Luhan with her fingers and various instruments before hooking him up for a ultrasound. After a few minutes, she nods, prints the picture, and then shuts off the machine.

 

“I think I know what has been causing your symptoms, Luhan,” Dr. Kwon starts quietly, fiddling with her glasses and face tight with apprehension.

 

Immediately, Luhan’s heart drops and tears prickle in his eyes, “Is there something wrong with my baby? Please just tell me. Is he okay?”

 

Dr. Kwon blanches, shaking her head, “Nothing is wrong seriously, the baby is okay, but he’s suffering from rare fetal disorder called fetus withdrawal. You recently haven’t felt hungrt, struggle to eat, suffer from bruising easily and pale and sensitive skin. Everyday, all day, you’re tired, achy, and feel just bad. These are all symptoms of the disorder. It isn’t fatal or dangerous unless left untreated, but there is no formal or medicinal way to rectify the disorder. This is because fetal withdrawal is caused from long-term separation from father of the child. Even so, the disorder has is very rare and is usually seen in cases where the father died violently or if the split from the mother was stressful.”

 

Luhan deflates instantly, tears falling from his eyes as he looks as Sehun. The older feels just as wrecked as Luhan looks as he meets his gaze. Luhan opens his mouth, eyes full of sadness and remorse, but Sehun cuts him off.

 

“Don’t, it’s not your fault, Lu,” Sadness aches in Sehun’s chest but he smiles, “Do not blame yourself, it’s not your fault, Luhannie.”

 

The younger completely breaks down after this, falling apart in Sehun’s arms. Dr. Kwon ducks out, pinning Sehun with a meaningful look before she goes.

 

~

 

A few hours later, the two return to Luhan’s apartment, in a little less of a morbid spirit than before. Sehun can’t imagine that the lighter mood will say after he says what is on his mind. After Luhan had finished crying, Dr. Kwon came back in and explained their options.

 

“In your case, Luhan, there are other options to help you and your baby until the end of your term. In order to relieve the stress put on the child by the disorder, we would induce you right on your given due date if you do not go into labor naturally before then. Until then, it would be best to eat well, lots of fruits, veggies, and the like, rest often, and, possibly, go onto bed rest. Along with that, you and Sehun should spend more time together and engage in more skinship. Hold hands, cuddle, kiss, and other things, as you’re being careful. I have also heard that it is helpful for Sehun to direct affection toward the child, rubbing your stomach and talking to the baby. This will all help, but it is a process. Luckily for you, Luhan, there is not much time left in your term, which does not leave much time for anything drastic to occur. Until your due date, I’ll prescribe you some vitamins to take. I’d also like to schedule more appointments; at least once a week until your due date.”

 

Sehun nodded, speaking for Luhan, who looked on the verge of tears again, “Thank you, Dr. Kwon. We’ll make those appointments right now and get going if that’s all.”

 

Dr. Kwon smiled tightly and helped Luhan hop off of the examination table. “If you don’t mind, Luhan, I’d like to speak privately with Sehun for a moment. Minseok is right outside and can help you get cleaned up and get some informational packets while you wait.”

 

Nodding, Luhan ducked out the door, leaving Sehun and Dr. Kwon alone.

 

“Luhan has only told me little about his situation with the child’s father, but Luhan’s sake, I want you to see what, if anything, you can do. Luhan’s pregnancy is already stressful as it is, and this disorder can lead to complications during birth and birth defects. Even family members, Luhan’s mother or father, can really help brighten him up and lessen the likelihood of anything happening to Luhan or the baby. I wanted to tell Luhan, but I think it would be best to wait until he’s a bit calmer and less stressed.” Dr. Kwon says, eyes sad.

 

After a moment of thinking, Sehun bows politely, “Thank you, Dr. Kwon. I will see if I can get some of Luhan’s family to visit, as well as...the other things.”

 

~

 

Immediately, Luhan climbs in the bed, Sehun following closely behind. The elder wraps himself around Luhan, warming up the younger’s cold and achy limbs.

 

“Luhan,” he begins, only to be cut of by the younger’s objection.

 

“Don’t,” Luhan whispers, “I can tell what you’re doing. You’re detaching, you’re going to tell me to go back home, just to be around him.”

 

“What else is there to do, Luhan? You’re sick and heartbroken and the baby is feeling the effects of it. I don’t want either of you to get hurt or be in pain,” Sehun's voice is strained with emotion.

 

“I don’t want to leave you. You put everything aside for me, my past relationship, the fact that this baby isn’t yours. You loved me and I love you...I can’t just discard everything we’ve done together.”

 

“Would you if I asked? I don’t know if you can go back with him, but at least be around your family. They can help you more than I can...I can’t provide the sense of protection your baby is craving, they can. I-I’m not enough,” the elder’s voice breaks as he speaks the last admission.

 

Luhan suddenly flips over, eyes teary but passionate, “Don’t ever say that, Oh Sehun. You’re more than enough, one of the most fantastic alphas I’ve ever met and I’m sorry my baby doesn’t recognize it, but I do. He will too, once he comes out and sees you for who you really are. I’m staying here because I want to be with you, because I love you. There’s nothing for me in the reservation, just hate. I don’t want my baby to grow up around hate. I want him to be around love, the love that you and I will provide.”

 

Sehun doesn’t say anything in response, just pulls Luhan close, head tucked against the younger’s neck. The satisfaction of being needed makes his wolf roar and his heart warm, even though he knows it won’t last.

 


A/N: angsty as ...oh well. it's late and I'm tired so this isn't not proof-read but will be tomorrow. sorry :(