Bag of Fruits

Two Best Friends


Hyuk sluggishly walked through the school gates. He had thought about his words all night. He knew he had to say something to Roobi but he was still unsure of what to say. He ran his fingers through his hair in frustration. 

 

Hyuk walked into the classroom. His eyes immediately landed on Roobi, who avoided eye contact with him. A thick tension hung over them for the whole class. 

 

When the bell rung, everyone got up from their seats and headed to the door. Only Hyuk remained still in his seat, with his eyebrows creased. Suddenly, he jumped out of his seat and bolted out the door. He looked around and his eyes landed on a familiar figure. 

“Roobi!” He ran up to her.

Roobi looked at his face but didn't meet his eyes. 

“Roobi, I..I..” He struggled to find the right words. “Look.. I was wrong. I wasn’t in the greatest mood and it was really hot.. and I feel really bad and I couldn’t sleep at all last night and I—”.

Before he could finish, Roobi walked off.

Surprised, Hyuk ran after her. “Where do you think you’re going? I’m not finished yet!”

Roobi stopped. “You feel bad right?”

Hyuk nodded.

“So you wanted to apologize right?”

“Yeah..”

“So you could feel better?”

He nodded. “Exactly! So if I could finish—”.

Without giving him a chance to finish his sentence, Roobi continued to walk away.

“Yah! What is your problem? I said I wasn’t finished yet!” 

“You know Hyuk.. your apologies are still the same.” Roobi murmured and without another word, she left. Hyuk didn't even hold her back. He only stood rooted in place, utterly speechless.

 

Roobi’s words echoed in Hyuk’s head. 

“You know Hyuk.. your apologies are still the same.”

As Hyuk was walking, still deep in thought, a man walked by him, loudly chattering on the phone.

“Yes, I have the report ready! I’m on my way right now, I was just on my lunch break.” He said. He was fumbling with his messenger bag, trying to find some papers. With his eyes on his bag, he continued to walk forward. Suddenly, he bumped into a person.

“Oh my!” The elderly woman stumbled back and dropped her grocery bag to the ground. Fruits rolled out from the plastic bag.

“Sorry, ahjumma.” He quickly said before walking on, still chattering on his phone.

“Aigoo.” The woman slowly bent down to pick up the fruits. 

A boy appeared and started to pick up fruits. “Are you okay?” 

“Aigoo, yes I am.”

Hyuk looked up with a grin. “Here you go.”

“Thank you, young man.”

“That man was awfully rude.” He frowned in the direction the man walked off in. 

“Aigoo, that’s how most of the young adults are these days. They're all so busy with their own lives. They only mind their own business, never willing to take some time out of their day to help someone. They only apologize to make themselves feel better.”

“Ah.." He nodded along. He stopped when he heard her last words. "Pardon? What do you mean.."

“That man's apology.. I wonder if he really meant it? Was he truly sorry or was he just saying it because he knew he had to?” The grandma sighed and shook her head. “Well.. thank you again, young man.” She sent him a small smile and went her way.

Hyuk stood there in the middle of the street, nodding slowly to himself. He finally understood Roobi’s words. 

 

 

 

 

Hyuk stood in front of Roobi's house. He raised his arm and knocked on the door. After a few moments, the door swung open.

“Oh! Hyuk hyung! What are you doing here?” Hyunsoo asked with a smile.

“Oh, hi Hyunsoo. Is your sister there?” 

“Roobi? No, actually.. I think she said she was going to the park. You know the one near—

“Okay, thanks Hyunsoo! See ya later!” Hyuk ruffled Hyunsoo’s hair and ran off. 

 

Roobi held her racket in her grip tightly as she swung it in the air. The racket hit the ball. The ball flew weakly onto the ground. Sweat dripped all over her face. The day was hot but Roobi still wanted to practice. At first, she never wanted to hold a tennis racket ever again but her brain wouldn't stop nagging at her. She had to learn, she just had to. Even if it was difficult, Roobi found that playing tennis helped release all her stress.

 

Hyuk walked around the park, in search for Roobi. He walked around aimlessly, not sure where to look. He stopped at the sound of a ball bouncing off the ground. He turned around and saw a girl practicing in the court. He went closer. 

*There you are.* He sighed in relief. He finally found her. He watched as Roobi hit the ball. Even if it was little, he could see that she had improved. He blinked and as soon as his eyes opened, her figure crashed onto the ground. Surprised, he rushed towards her.

“Roobi! Roobi!!” He shouted and rushed to her side. She jumped, surprised at his sudden appearance.

“What are you—

“Are you okay?! What happened? Did you hurt yourself?” He asked rapidly, like bullet fire. 

“What do you mean? I'm just resting.. but what are you doing here?” She questioned quietly.

“I..” He stopped, trying to sort out his thoughts. “Roobi..” He let out a small sigh and continued. “I thought about it a lot and I figured out what you meant. I was only thinking about myself.. I want to apologize properly this time. I’m really sorry, Roobi. What I said was terrible. I won’t say anything like that ever again.” He said as he looked into her eyes. 

Roobi let out a small smile. She was touched at his words. “..Forgiven.” 

Hyuk’s eyes lit up and he jumped about, excitedly. 

“Thank you Hyuk.. for those words.”

“No! Thank you, Roobi!” He grabbed her hands and lifted her up. He jumped in circles, still holding her hands. 

Roobi let out a laugh. 

“Oh! You laughed! That was awfully quick! Already falling for my charms, eh?” He teased.

“Hyuk..” She playfully glared at him.

“What? Am I wrong?” He said as he bounced off.

“You!” 

 

He turned around with a silly grin on his face. They bursted into a round of laughter.