Consequences

Two Best Friends

Roobi sat still in her seat, stunned. Every time she tried to explain, her teacher would ignore and talk over her. The only thing she could do was listen as Mr. Choi continued to angrily complain about how this silly prank was such a nuisance to him. The principal sighed and massaged his temples. Even he grew tired of listening to the man complain about the same thing over and over again. 

“Alright.. student Lee Roobi, you will be on suspension for two days.”

 

Hyuk leaned against the wall, waiting for Roobi to come out. He tapped his feet on the ground, impatiently. The door finally opened and Roobi walked out. 

“Roobi!” Hyuk called.

Roobi lifted her head up. 

“Oh, Hyuk.” She tried her best to smile but she couldn’t. She had a crestfallen expression. "Hyuk.. could we talk later? I'm not really feeling-". 

“Roobi, listen.. I'm.. really sorry.” He blurted out.

Roobi's expression turned dark. “So you were the one?”

“Roobi, I.. I didn’t mean to get you in trouble. I just wrote that note on the whim, without thinking it through.. I..” He tried to explain.

“Hyuk, you.. you really haven’t changed at all.” She said in the most bitter tone. 

Roobi walked away leaving Hyuk there stunned. 

 

Roobi came home and immediately went to her room. She sunk into her bed and looked at the suspension slip again. *How am I supposed to bring this up to my parents?* She sighed, frustrated. Her mind wandered off to Hyuk.

 

Hyuk looked at the box of chocolates in his hand and snickered. The other day he had bought a box of chocolates and replaced all the chocolates with plastic spiders and cockroaches. 

“Hyuk!” Roobi called. 

“Hey Roobi!” 

“What’s that?” She pointed to the box he was holding. 

“It’s chocolates. Here.” He placed it in her hands. “Give it to the teacher.” 

“Why?” 

“She likes chocolates.”

“Why don’t you give it to her?” Roobi eyed him.

“You know.. I keep causing trouble so she doesn't really like me. She won't accept it if I gave it to her.”

“Ohh.” Roobi nodded, no longer suspicious. 

“So.. will you give it to her?”

“Sure!” Roobi grinned.

Hyuk grinned back, mischief gleamed in his eyes. 

As soon as class begun, Roobi went up and handed the box of chocolates to her teacher. 

“What is this, Roobi?”

“Chocolates! For you.” Roobi smiled.

“Really? How sweet of you, Roobi! Thank you!” Her eyes turned into crescent shapes as she smiled. She took the box and looked up at Roobi. Roobi gave her a big smile and looked at her with anticipation. She chuckled and began to unwrap the box. Hyuk watched the scene unfold as he tried to hold in his laughter. The teacher lifted the top open and looked inside. Her eyes widened in horror and the smile fell from her face.

“AH!!” She dropped the box to the ground and spiders and cockroaches fell out.

Roobi jumped back in surprise. Her eyes were as big as saucers. 

A little girl shrieked and soon the whole class was screaming. Kids were running around, flailing their little arms. 

“Okay, kids.. quiet down.” The teacher tried to calm the kids. “Roobi, I need to have a chat with you.” She led Roobi out. Roobi could see Hyuk snickering in the back.  

Tears filled her eyes as her teacher scolded her.

“You shouldn’t have pulled that prank. That was not a nice thing to do!” Roobi kept her head down and wiped her tears. “Please don’t do that ever again.” 

 

Roobi groaned and buried her face in the pillow next to her. For how much longer does she have to deal with the consequences of Hyuk’s actions?