Bickering like Little Kids

Two Best Friends


It had been quite a while since Hyuk's family last went to a beach in Korea. After some chatting, both families decided that it was about time they took a trip to the beach together, and so, the two families took some time off their weekend and soon Saturday came rolling by.

 

“Are we all ready?” Roobi’s mom shouted from the car.

“Wait!” Roobi shouted back, out of breath. She hauled over a big, blue cooler. 

“Omo! I almost forgot!” Roobi’s mom helped her carry the heavy cooler into the car. “Now are we all ready?”

“I think we have everything.” 

“Alright, let’s get going! We’re late!”

 

Roobi’s family arrived in front of a familiar house. They got off the car and was immediately greeted by a chirpy voice.

“You’re here!” Hyuk’s mom said with a wide smile.

“Sorry for coming late, Hyeri-ah."

“Don't worry about it, Yoojung. We just barely came out as well. Let’s start moving your stuff into the van.” 

Roobi’s mom nodded and started to get their things.

Roobi struggled as she tried to move a heavy box. She walked backwards with the box in her arms, only to bump into someone.

“Hey, watch where you’re going.”

She felt the weight of the box being lifted off her hands and her eyes met with an all too familiar face.

“Oh, sorry Hyuk.” He made a face at her and carried the box into the van. She watched him with a small smile on her face.

“Roobi-ah! Could you help me carry these bags into the van?”

“Sure!” Roobi snapped out of her little trance and went over to help her mom. 

 

“Alright, we’re all done! Let’s depart!” Hyuk’s mom said with a clap. Roobi hopped into the van and made her way to an empty seat. 

“Roobi, sit here with us!” Hyunsoo, her younger brother, motioned to the empty seat next to him. She came over and sat down next to him. 

 

“To the left! No, to the right! Argh! Hyung!” Hyunsoo shouted. 

“What game are you guys playing?” Roobi said as she glanced at the phone.

“The space craft one. Hyung! It’s my turn!” Hyunsoo tried to grab the phone.

“One more round! I almost beat the high score!”

“Yeah right! You weren’t even close, hyung!”

“Whatever, I’m playing another round!” Before Hyunsoo could protest, Hyuk had already started a new round. “Whooo!” Hyuk cheered as he tilted the phone left and right. “What the—!” The screen suddenly went black and the words 'FAILURE' blinked across the screen.

“Haha, your score is even lower than the last round!” 

“Yah yah yah! It’s because this game is hard! Not anyone can play, you know. I bet Roobi wouldn’t even get past level 2.”

Hearing her name, Roobi looked towards them. Why did he suddenly bring her into this? 

“Hey hey! You can’t just say that! Roobi can probably get a higher score than you!” Hyunsoo defended his sister.

“Pft.” 

“Alright then! Roobi!” Hyunsoo shoved the phone into his sister's hands. “Play it!”

“What? I don’t even know how this game works..” She said, flabbergasted. 

“It’s easy. Just tilt the screen left and right, don’t let the spaceship hit the aliens and objects and collect the coins! Got it?”

Before Roobi could reply, Hyunsoo had already pressed the start button.

“Go!” 

Roobi turned her focus to the game and started tilting the screen.

 

“Yes!” Roobi high-fived Hyunsoo as the words 'NEW HIGH SCORE' flashed across the screen. Hyuk’s eyes bulged out.

“Beginner’s luck!”

“No!” Roobi denied.

“Give me that! I’ll play for real now. I was just joking around before. I’ll show you how it's really played.”

 

“Argh! This game hates me or something!” Hyuk exclaimed as he carelessly threw the phone aside. “Let’s do something else!”

“But there’s nothing else to do!” 

“There’s plenty of other things to do! Like… I Spy! I spy with my little eyes something.. green! Outside!”

“Hyung.. seriously?” Hyunsoo rolled his eyes. Outside, the only thing they saw were endless rows of trees. 

“Fine then. How about.. telepathy! The telepathy game!”

“T-Tele— what?” Hyunsoo struggled to pronounce the word.

“The telepathy game!"

"How do we play that?"

"It's simple. One of us calls out two things. It can be any two things, like ice cream or fries. The other two has to pick one of the two things. The catch is that they have to use telepathy to pick the same choice."

"Okay, let's try it."

"Alright, I'll start! Roobi and Hyunsoo! Summer or winter? 1.. 2.. 3!"

"Summer!" They both answered.

"As expected, true siblings indeed! Okay then.. vanilla or chocolate? 1, 2, 3!"

"Van—"

"Chocolate!" 

They both looked at each other in bewilderment. 

"Roobi! You know that I like chocolate!"

"And you know that I like vanilla!"

"As expected, you two are not in sync at all." Hyuk declared.

"We may be siblings but that doesn't mean we agree on everything!"

"I wouldn't know. I'm an only child." Hyuk shrugged.

"Fine. Now, it's hyung's and Roobi's turn!"

"Okay, ask away. We'll get all the same answers! Right, Roobi?"

"Right.." 

"Okay! Start!"

"Chicken or beef? 1, 2, 3!"

"Chicken!!!" They shouted in unison.

"Apple or orange? 1, 2, 3!"

"Apple!"

"Cake or pie?"

"Cake!!"

"This is so easy! See I told you—" Hyuk began.

"Indoor or outdoors? 1, 2, 3!"

"Indoor!"

"Outdoors!"

"Super Junior or Girls' Generation?"

"Super—"

"—Generation!"

"Haha! Not so easy is it?" Hyunsoo stuck his tongue out. 

"Hey! That wasn't fair! You knew she would pick Super Junior and I would pick Girls' Generation! Also, since when did you become an indoors person, Roobi? You used to love playing outside when we were younger!"

"That was when we were younger! Anyway, I think it's my turn to ask now. Okay.. water or fire? 1, 2, 3!"

"Fire!" Hyunsoo shouted.

"I wasn't ready yet! Wait.. fire? No, water is better!" 

"No, fire is!"

"Water extinguishes fire! So clearly, water is better."

For the rest of the ride, they continued to play games and argue about trivial things.

Roobi couldn't help but smile as she watched them bicker like little kids.