Practice

Two Best Friends

Ponk.

Roobi hit the ball and it flew to the other side of the court. She let out a small sigh. *Finally.*

Clap clap.

Roobi turned her head towards the sound. Hyuk leaned against the fence, clapping slowly with a grin on his face. He straightened up and started walking towards her while swinging a tennis racket back and forth in one hand.

“Hyuk.” She eyed him. “What are you doing here?”

“Can’t you tell?” He swung his racket in front of her.

“Shouldn’t you be at school practicing with the others?”

“What? And leave my best friend here to practice all alone? How could I?”

“So you’re saying.. you, Han Sanghyuk, are going to practice with me, right here and now?”

“Exactly!”

“No thanks.” Roobi replied curtly.

“What?” His mouth dropped open.

“I’m doing fine by myself. If you want to practice here, fine. Just practice on the other courts.”

“Fine then!” He turned around and stomped off to the other court.

Roobi let out a small chuckle and continued to practice.

From time to time, Hyuk would look over to see how Roobi was doing. Suddenly just as Roobi served, he ran over to her court and hit the ball. 

The ball flew back to her. Without thinking, she followed the ball and hit it. Ponk. flew open. *Did I just do that?*

“You did it!” Hyuk excitedly ran over to her side. He raised his hand up. “High-five?” She reached up to high-five him but he dropped his hand down. “Down low.” She dropped her hand down but he pulled away. “Too slow!” 

She sent him a glare. 

“Alright, alright! Here!” He raised his hand up again. 

Roobi smiled and high-fived him. 

“Let’s try that again!”

Roobi nodded, excitedly.

“And you said you didn’t want to practice with me.” Hyuk sent her a smug look.  

She glared at him again. “Fine, I won’t—” 

“Alright! Get ready! I'm going to serve it now!” He ran back to his side, pretending not to hear her. 

He served the ball and Roobi hit it back. 

“Good!”

He hit back but she missed.

“It’s alright! Again!”

They both practiced together for the next hour. 

 

They both dropped to the ground, sweat dripping all over their faces. 

“I’m so tired!” Hyuk shouted.

“Me too!” She shouted back. 

His eyes suddenly lit up. “Want to go get ice cream?” 

“Okay!” Roobi replied back. Hyuk hopped to his feet and ran over to Roobi. He let out his hand. She grabbed it and pulled herself up. Before she was all the way up, Hyuk let go of his hand. Roobi fell back to the ground and landed on her bottom. 

“Ouch!”

"Oops! Sorry, my hands were slippery."

Roobi eyed him. The grin on his face said otherwise.

"Hyuk!!!"