In the Wrong

Two Best Friends


Hyuk came to school early that day. He stood outside the teacher’s office. Finally, he opened the door and walked in. 

“Excuse me, Mr. Choi?”

The teacher looked up from his computer. “Oh, Sanghyuk. What's the problem?” 

“About yesterday..” He began.

“Yesterday?” Mr. Choi clicked his tongue in distaste. "..What about yesterday?" 

“The prank wasn't Roobi's fault.. it was mine. I was the one who planned it. I'll take whatever punishment you give me...”

Mr. Choi sighed in annoyance. “Why do I have to deal with this..” He murmured under his breath and cursed silently. He got up from his seat and begrudingly walked to the principal's office. 

 

Roobi could not stop fretting the whole night. Should she feign sickness? Tell her parents the truth? What was she going to do?

Her phone vibrated next to her and she opened the new text message, only glancing over the words. She suddenly sat up straight as the words soaked into her brain. 

 

Friend: COME TO SCHOOL IMMEDIATELY! YOU'RE NOT SUSPENDED ANYMORE!!!

 

Without another thought, she scrambled out of bed to get ready.

 

“What...happened?” She said in between breathes. She had run all the way to class in order to not be late. 

“Mr. Choi said that you're no longer suspended! I think Sanghyuk talked to the principal.. Anyway, isn't it great? I was so worried for you!!”

Roobi nodded silently. Even though she was no longer in trouble, something was still bothering her.

 

“Roobi!” Hyuk called.

She turned around. “Hyuk..” 

“Roobi..” He rubbed his two hands together.

She looked away, pretending to ignore him.

"Roobi.." She looked over to see a small pout of his face. A smile crept onto her face.

“Oh! You just smiled! I saw it!” He started teasing her.

“No!” She denied, trying to frown.

"No!!" He mimiced her with a grin on his face. 

No matter how hard she tried, she just couldn't wide the smile off. She turned her head, trying to hide her smile. She expected him to continue making fun of her but the only thing she heard was silence. She slowly turned back to face him and saw a serious expression on his face. 

“Roobi.. I’m really sorry.” He said. “I know I did wrong. I’m so sorry. It.. it won’t happen again.” A sad smile formed on his face. 

Roobi looked at him. She could see the sincerity in his eyes. 

"Alright, I.. forgive you." She said with a smile.

"Really?" His eyes lit up.

She nodded.

He proceeded to pinch her cheek. "Aigoo, my best friend is so kind!!" He cooed.

Roobi laughed. It was impossible to stay mad at him for long.

"What about you? Are you okay?"

"Me? Of course I'm okay! Why would I not be?"

"..Didn't you get into trouble?"

"Of course I did! Suspended for three days. I don't really care though. It just means I get to relax for three days. I don't get how that's even a punishment! More like a reward." He snorted.

"Do you want me to get the notes and homework for you?"

"What?! Are you crazy? Why would I do homework on my break? Thanks for the offer, but no thanks. Don't worry about me and just worry about yourself. I'll be fine."

"Alright, whatever you say."