Beach (Part 1)

Two Best Friends

Hyuk’s mom took in a deep breath. 

“Ah! You don’t know how much I missed this smell!”

Roobi in turn took a deep breath. The smell salty sea water filled her nostrils.

“It’s such a nice day, isn’t it?” Roobi’s mom smiled. 

“It definitely is!”

They all stood there, taking a moment to take a few deep breathes. The smell of salty water definitely had a calming effect.

“What are we all doing here? Hurry! The beach isn’t going to just come walking over to us.” Hyunsoo exclaimed.

Everyone laughed at his remark.

“Alright, alright! We’re going. Aigoo, where did he get his patience from?”

“Obviously you, Yoojung! Back in the day, you had zero patience at all!”

“What are you talking about? The impatient one was you!”

The two friends continued to playfully quarrel with each other.

“They’re at it again.”

“We’ll never hear the end of it.” The two fathers laughed. 

 

The two families walked toward the beach. Each person carried a few things.

“We’re here! We’re finally here!” Hyunsoo ran excitedly into the sand. 

Roobi took a step in and the warm sand immediately covered her feet. 

It seemed like they weren’t the only ones who decided to go to the beach that weekend. Beach towels, umbrellas, sand castles were scattered all around the beach.  

After finding a nice spot, they laid down their beach towels and put up a big umbrella. 

“Mom! Can I go build a sand castle over there?” Hyunsoo pointed to an area near the water.

“Okay. Roobi, could you go watch your brother?”

“I’ll go too.” Hyuk offered.

“Last person to arrive is a rotten egg!” Hyunsoo shouted as he began to run.

“Hurry up or you’ll be a rotten egg!” Hyuk called to Roobi as he dashed after Hyunsoo. 

Roobi only rolled her eyes.

“You heard him Roobi! Hurry or you’ll be the rotten egg!” Her dad joked.

“Dad!” 

The parents bursted into a round of laughter.

 

Hyuk and Roobi watched as Hyunsoo built sand castles with the other kids.

“Hyunsoo is a good kid. It would be nice if I had a younger brother like him.”

Roobi nodded. Hyunsoo could be annoying at times but he was a good brother. 

“Hyunsoo! Lets go back and get some food to eat!” Roobi called.

Hyunsoo patted the sand off his hands and ran over to Roobi and Hyuk.

The three of them started to walk back towards their parents until a voice stopped them.

“Hyuk!”