Girlfriend

Two Best Friends


Roobi flipped to the next page and read over the highlighted words. She was doing some last minute studying for the quiz that day. The bell rang and kids rushed into the class, relieved to see that the teacher had not arrived yet. The teacher slowly walked in, holding a stack of papers. He set the stack down and put on his glasses. He went through the class roster. A head peeked into the room. It was Hyuk's. The teacher looked down at the list, not looking up once. Hyuk quickly crouched down and snuck to his desk. He sat down and let out a sigh of relief. 

At that moment the teacher called out, “Han Sanghyuk.” 

“Here!” He exclaimed. 

*Of course, Hyuk would come late again.* Roobi thought. For the whole week, he had not come on time for a single day. He never arrived on time for anything. He would even be late to his own birthday party.

 

Hyuk’s mom woke up extra early that day to prep for her son’s party. It was 10 in the morning, and Hyuk had still been sleeping. Hyuk rolled to his side and his elbow hit the power button on the remote that he had left on his bed. The TV and cartoon characters started to chatter behind the screen. Hyuk’s mom knocked on his door to wake him up.

“Sanghyuk?” She called. She leaned in and heard voices. *He must be watching TV.* She thought. “In ten minutes, make sure you go down and brush your teeth. Change out of your pajamas and wear your new shirt, okay?” 

“Honey, the delivery man is here!” Her husband shouted.

“Coming!” She rushed downstairs, before getting a response.

Hyuk’s mom was so busy with decorating and setting up that she forgot about checking up on her son. Around 1, kids had already arrived but her son was no where to be seen. 

“Sanghyuk! Sanghyuk?” She called. “Have you seen Hyukie?” She asked one of the kids. The kid shook his head and went back to playing with his toy car. “Where did he go?” She mumbled to herself.

She went to his room and knocked on his door. “Sanghyuk! What are you doing? Your friends are here!” No reply. She opened the door to see her son sleeping peacefully. The TV was still on. “Hyukie!” She went over and shook him awake. 

“Huh?” His eyes slowly opened and he yawned. 

“Get up! You’re late!” Hyuk groggily got up and went to the bathroom.

By the time he was out, the kids were all seated on the grass. They all had their attention on the magician.

“Wow!” The kids exclaimed when the magician pulled a puppy from his hat. Hyuk came over and sat down with the rest of the kids.

Roobi looked at him. “Where have you been?” 

“I was sleeping.” He replied.

“Does that mean that you're late to your own birthday party?” Roobi laughed. 

 

The last class finally ended and students exited the room. 

“Hey! Did you hear around Sanghyuk?” Her friends whispered to each other.

“What about him?” Roobi questioned. "Wait.. did he get into trouble again?!"

"No.. also what do you mean 'again', he hasn't caused any trouble at all.. or am I missing out on something?" She arched her eyebrow.

"Oh, right.." Roobi had forgotten that he hasn't gotten into any trouble.. yet.

"So what about him?" One of them repeated the question.

“He's officially off the market! He's taken!” 

“What? Already?”

"Who is he dating?”

“You won't believe it.. Minji!”

"Oh Minji?" 

“Yeah! After she broke up with Kang Jaeho, she was looking for a new boyfriend! Hyuk must have caught her attention."

Roobi was now deep in thought.

“Yah!” Her friend snapped her fingers. Roobi snapped out of her thoughts. “What are you thinking about?”

“Oh? Nothing.” Roobi replied. 

"I'm disappointed.. I thought there was something going on between you two!" 

"I already told you, we're just friends." She assured.