Encounter

Two Best Friends

“Lee Roobi!” The teacher called. Roobi went to the front of the class and received a slip a paper. 

“Good job.” The teacher sent her a smile. 

She looked at the paper and smiled. “Thank you.” She went back and slipped into her seat. 

“Kim Joon!” The teacher called the next student.

He went up and took his paper. 

“Try harder next time Mr. Kim.” The teacher gave him a look.

He turned around and rolled his eyes. He crumbled up the piece of paper and aimed at the trash can at the back of the class. He shoots and the paper flies into the trash can.

“Score!!!” His friends hollered. 

“Mr. Kim.” The teacher shots him another look.

Joon hurried back to his seat and high fived his friends. 

“Boys..” The girls shook their heads and went back to fixing their makeup and gossiping. 

Roobi’s friends leaned over and peeked at her paper. 

“Share some of your intelligence with us.” They jokingly whined. She laughed. She was ranked fifth out of all the students in her grade level. She had great exam scores and straight A’s.

The lunch bell rang and everyone rushed to get first in line. Roobi walked with her friends to the cafeteria. 

“He kept staring at you! I think he likes you!” Her friends chatted amongst each other. 

“No way! Doesn’t he like Minji?” 

“Who likes me?” Minji interrupts. She glared at Roobi's friends. 

“N-No one.” 

“Whatever.” She turned around, about to walk away. She stopped and added, “You know.. instead of using your time to gossip about other people, how about using that time to study?” She smirked and walked off. 

“Oh Minji..” Roobi’s friends frowned. “Just ignore her.” 

Roobi and her friends each grabbed a tray and went to get some food.

 

 

“Mom, I’m home!” Roobi called out. She went into the kitchen and saw her mom looking through the refrigerator. 

“Hi, honey! ..Looks like we’re out of eggs.. and milk..” Her mom mumbled. “Roobi, do you want to go to the supermarket with me? I need to stock up on groceries.”

“Sure! I’ll go change!” 

 

 

They entered the grocery store and got a shopping cart. Roobi walked over to the snacks section and drooled at the different kinds of snacks available. The store had a new shipment and brand new snacks were filled along the aisle. Roobi took a handful of chips and went over to her mom. She dumped the chips into the cart. 

“Oh my!” Her mom gasped. “Didn’t I tell you to stop buying those chips? They’re bad for you!” 

“Aw, mom… Look, it’s a new brand! It has 30% less fat than regular potato chips! Also, I get really hungry during class!” Roobi pleaded. 

“Mhm..alright, but no more!” 

“Thanks, mom!” Roobi grinned. 

Both of them strolled through the vegetables section and then to the meat section. Roobi’s mom looked at the fish.

“Yoojung??” A woman gasped. 

Roobi’s mom lifted her head up and she gasped in return. “Han Hyeri???”

They immediately ran to each other and hugged. Roobi stared, confused. They let go and started to chat excitedly.

“I haven’t seen you in so long!!”

“Yah! When did you come back to Korea? How dare you not contact me?” 

“I’m sorry! I was just so busy! I’m so glad to be able to see you again!” The woman turned her head to Roobi. “Is that Roobi? She’s grown so much!” 

Roobi was even more confused. 

“Roobi, greet her! She’s Aunt Hyeri! Remember?” 

Aunt Hyeri? That sounded familiar.. Memories of Aunt Hyeri started to play in her head.

“Ah!" Roobi said. "Aunt Hyeri! Hello!” Roobi bowed and smiled at her. 

“You still remember me?” She smiled, touched.

The three of them happily chatted as they walked around the grocery store. 

“Yoojung, you’ve got to bring your family over and have dinner together like good old times!”

“That sounds like a great idea!” Roobi’s mom smiled, reminiscing the old times. 

“Is your family free tomorrow night?” 

“We are! Tomorrow then!” They both chuckled and hugged each other again. They said their goodbyes and separated. 

“I’m so glad to see Hyeri again.” Roobi’s mom said, her smile reached ear to ear.

“I haven’t seen you smile so much in so long.” Roobi grinned.

“I’m just so happy. Hyeri and I were the best of friends in high school and college and even after college! We were inseparable!” Roobi’s mom said as she started to reminisce.