Foolish Love

Stay With Me, Because We Belong Together

That night at dinner, Chaerin took out the two envelopes and placed it on the table.

 

Jiyong: What’s this?

Chaerin: Remember Hanna said she was making friendship bands and told us to each choose a charm to represent ourselves? Yeap she’s done with the bands. It’s inside the envelopes with letters she wrote to both of us.

Jiyong: Oh...okay I see. But why do you look so solemn and serious about it? It’s kind of scary you know.
Chaerin: Nah, nothing much. Just a little worried to how you’re going to react when you open it.

 

Jiyong did not know what to make out of the situation. He did not understand why Chaerin was acting that way. He tried to brush it off but somewhere deep down he knew something big was about to happen.

 

After they were done eating their dinner and were sipping their cups of flat whites with extra sugar, Chaerin broke the silence.

 

Chaerin: Here it is, open up and take a look. The band is actually quite nice.

 

Jiyong thought to himself *why is she being so awkward today…it’s weird and stifling*

 

Nonetheless of all the discomfort Jiyong was feeling, he obliged and opened the envelope containing the letter and band Hanna had written. He took out the band and admired it, thinking to himself “Wow, Hanna is talented when it comes to making delicate things like this.” With that, he took out the letter and started reading it.

 

Hey Jiyong!

Uh. I hope you don't. Er. Freak out or something when you're at the end of this letter. Though I think you will be, and kind of angry. But anyway, I'll apologise first for the upcoming shock, and for me being totally clueless about going about this.

So. Er. You know you've seen me through a lot of time in the past half of my life. The times I was stupid, idiotic, foolish, simple-minded, desperate, and basically just losing a footing in life. You saw me through all that, and I never thought that like. There was anymore to this tan this friendship that we have between us that we want to protect for as long as we live.

But right now, I'm going to say some things which may just shatter this completely or not, and either way I'll just accept. I'm not sure from when I started changing, but I guess recently things have been looking really blatant in my face. That my feelings staffed to change. That I started liking you not as a best friend or a brother but as a guy. Maybe I'm just being vulnerable, and that I need more time. But either ways, I think it's only fair that I tell you, even if this is the last thing I do in this friendship. I'm not expecting you to say anything don't get me wrong. Just. I'm really sorry that I'm the one causing a rift in our friendship again and that no words can exactly describe what I feel right now so. Yeah. I'm sorry about this and please don't freak out or something.

Han-nie, 27th January 2015


While he was reading the letter, Chaerin eyed him suspiciously. After all, Hanna’s letter to her was so much shorter in comparison. Somehow, Jiyong’s expression was unreadable. There seemed to be no sign of the emotions both Hanna and Chaerin thought the confession would invoke in him. When he finally put the letter down, Chaerin asked him, treading the lines carefully:

 

Chaerin: So? Have you finished reading the letter?
Jiyong: Yeah, I have.
Chaerin: So…what now?
Jiyong: What do you mean what now.
Chaerin: I mean, you have to give her an answer right, regardless of what your answer is.
Jiyong: Well, I didn’t say I wasn’t going to give her an answer. Did you already know about this beforehand. Was that why she refused to come out to dinner with us, and even got you to pass it to me instead of her personally giving it?
Chaerin: Yeah she did. Well she was a bunch of nerves actually. You know, especially after what happened the last time when she confessed to Jungwoo, when everything between her, Jungwoo and Youngmin turned out so bad.

 

Both of them sat in silence, thinkinng of their days in elementary school when Hanna had her worst days thus far, and both of them were the very people who saw her through those times.

 

Youngmin was Hanna's best friend in sixth grade and Hanna told Youngmin all her secrets. However, not the same could be said for Youngmin. Even though to Youngmin, Hanna was important, but there were some things she could never tell her. But one day, she made up her mind to come clean about everything with Hanna.

 

Youngmin: Hanna, I have something important to tell you.
Hanna: Hmm? What is it? Why does it sound so grave HAHAHAHAHA
Youngmin: Um. Actually. Er. I've liked Jungwoo all this while and we got together a few months ago.
Hanna: ...
Youngmin: Hanna?
Hanna: Oh. Yeah hahaha. I mean you guys are the talk of the school, the star couple that everyone ships, of course I knew that all this while!
Youngmin: Really? Are you really fine?
Hanna: Of course I am! Who do you think I am HAHA


But deep inside, Hanna was torn apart. Youngmin, the person she relied on almost her entire sixth grade. Jungwoo, a friend she knew since second grade, later became her crush in fifth grade. Though she always knew deep down there was something going on between Youngmin and Jungwoo, she always tried to push it aside, believing that Youngmin or Jungwoo wouldn't hide it from her. But alas, she was wrong, and she suffered the heartbreak as her consequence to that denial. 

 

The following few months were really bad for Hanna. But she never once let a tear drop, convincing herself that it was all for the better that she just let go. And true to her words, she did not cry at all throughout the period she was getting over Jungwoo. And during this period, Jiyong and Chaerin were constantly by her side, keep her accompany and spending time with her to get over Jungwoo. Ever since that episode in her life, Jiyong and Chaerin both knew that the entire Youngmin-Jungwoo saga had cast a shadow in Hanna, and they had always been careful around it.

 
Jiyong: Yeah, I know, which is why I’m thinking of how to answer her. Can I read what she wrote to you?
Chaerin: Yeah sure. Here you go.

 

Jiyong and Chaerin then exchanged their letters and read through each other’s. Both Jiyong and Chaerin felt a weird feeling surging through their veins, but they were unable to put into words what exactly that feeling was. They then finished their cup of coffees in a solemn manner, neither of them speaking much at all to each other, with a million different thoughts running through their minds.
__________________________________________________________________________________

 

Author's note: HI MY LOVELY READERS. I decided to have a double update today in case some of you were starting to get bored and stuff. Well then this is the first big thing of the story. How would Jiyong answer Hanna? Please subscribe to follow the story and leave comments!! Thank you for reading!!! :)