Chapter 8

Hands and Leaves.

 

The next morning, Raina woke up a bit earlier than usual and stood by the window, thinking what she could do to make Nana feel safe or better, then as she looked the sun starting to rise from the horizon, she got a tiny idea she considered silly, but it still was a start.

"Nana, wake u-" she stopped and reorganized her words "Nana, would you please wake up?"

Nana woke up more by her surprising wording than from the touch on her back. "What is it?"

"Come with me"

 

**

 

Both the girl and the super plant reached the roof of the building. Raina held Nana's hand and took her towards the edge in the direction of the sun that was rising.

"Stay still"

Raina situated herself behind her, until the sun was finally rising in all its greatness and light. Nana slowly extended her arms, making her breathing deeper and rising her extremities as well as her head, taking all the sunlight in her along another breath of the new morning's wind.

It made Raina smile. It was nothing but, isn't that one of the most joyous and essential things for a plant?

"Raina, come with me"

This request made her feel surprised. She walked towards the edge beside Nana and turned to her "You.. did you just call me by my name?"

And as unusual as this request was, the response was an equal match: a smile, a kind smile. "Extend your arms, Raina"

The girl still a bit shocked extended her arms, trembling a bit of confusion and a slight fear to the height they were, but chose to concentrate on the sun in front of them. Raina turned to see Nana, who was still smiling and kept her eyes on her, which triggered a memory from when she was a little girl.

 

Flashback

"It's raining but it soon shall pass and you'll be better with the sunlight" an 8 years old Raina said to a plant on her flower pot. "It's okay, I won't leave you. I'll stay right here until it stops"

After an hour, the rain finally stopped, but some clouds were still covering the sun a little, making it invisible from where they were, so, Raina got a dangerous but helpful idea. 

She took her flower pot and put it on a bag she then carried on her back. "I'll take you to the sun" she said as she climbed some stairs to reach the roof of the house. 

Once there, she looked around and smiled at the rays hitting her face, "This is the spot. Here." she said before taking the plant from her bag and raising it for the sunlight to hit its leaves "Smile, little plant. It's a good day."

Half an hour passed and after lowering her arms with the plant, "You're a good friend, even if you don't talk much", at that moment and many other years later she would wish for plants to talk, wondering what they would tell her. She sat on the titles of the roof, sighed and then smiled at the plant "Good morning, little plant."

End of Flashback 


"Good morning, Raina"

"What did you say?"

"Good morning, Raina" Nana repeated turning her face at her, adorned with that kind smile she was wearing.

Raina looked away, tears were starting to cover her eyes, she looked at the front, closed her eyes and said "Good morning, Nana. It's a good day."

 

**

 

After the day of class, Raina's attention was caught by a lot of people gathering around a big announcement.

The Rose Festival and underneath, one of the events was written: The search for the Rose Princess.

Raina went up ahead, thinking that it would suit to Nana's relationship with everyone on school, and walked to the board to nominate Nana.

"You got ahead of me" Eunji spoke from behind, making Raina smile. Then turned to Nana "Hi, Nana."

"Hi, violet"

"Violet?" Eunji was confused at first until she realized what she referred to "Oh, it must be the perfume" Nana still thought that maybe Eunji wasn't what she seemed, due to the peculiar scent.

Eunji got close to Raina and whispered "We need to talk, and don't bring Nana with you, please."