Chapter 9

Hands and Leaves.

Raina and Eunji went to a lab. The former told Nana that she had something to do with the latter, and to her surprise, Nana agreed and said "I trust you, Violet."

**

"It's funny how she calls you Violet" said Raina giggling as they walked.

"It's not my fault that she has something for this perfume"

Raina closed the door behind her and after a sigh she spoke up again "So... what did you want to talk about?"

Eunji looked down, and then around the lab, Raina was a bit confused. Walking towards the window, Eunji still wondered if her friend should know about what she saw, but the relief that she wasn't Dr. Park made her feel better. When Raina was about to ask what was going on, Eunji finally talked...

"I know Nana is a super plant"

The news were taken like a bomb for Raina, whose face paled in front of her friend. "H-How do you know that?"

"I was there... when Naeun was attacked"

"Nana wouldn't do that on purpose, it was an accident, she-" Eunji raised her palm for Raina to stop her defense exposition.

"It's okay, Raina. I also think the same"

"So, it's okay with you? It's not like I'm gonna replace you with her" Raina titled her head with a worried expression, which made Eunji chuckle.

"Raina, I know you're not gonna replace me, I wouldn't do that with you either." Eunji sighed and continued "I kind of knew that Nana was a super plant before this accident. I might have heard a conversation between Naeun and Dr. Park some days ago."

 

Eunji's POV

"Well, that's it, the last coccoon". I said, sighing at my own work with the soon-to-be butterflies. I've been really invested in this species that Raina gave me on my 12th birthday lately, I guess it's because I didn't have time to pay them proper attention. I do love botany, but I also developed a big interest for the zoology field. Specifically, entomology, yes, the study of insects. I just like to see how they interact with plants and the effects.

"Excuse me, do you have a weed killer?"

"I think I have some here, wait a minute" I start searching for it without even looking at who was asking.

"Thank you. I'm Naeun, by the way" I look up to see probably the prettiest girl I've seen in years, we bow and then I look for the weed killer, which wasn't that far. 

After I gave it to her, her smile was big and I took the chance to ask "Is there a plant giving you trouble to your other species?"

"You can say that" she stopped and repeated "Thank you" I was more than happy to help someone.

**

"So, Im Nana. That's your new toy?" I got to hear when I was walking to deliver a file for Dr. Park. I stopped both of confusion and for the sake of avoiding an interruption during a seemingly important conversation. 

"I prefer 'subject of study'" I hear Dr. Park's reply and think that it's better for me to stay still until they finish. I'm not too fond of eavesdropping, but I have a file to deliver in her hands, otherwise I'll be in trouble when I get back with the teacher. Even so, I wonder why she would call Nana her 'subject of study'?

I hear Naeun complaining about their lack of time shared, and what I hear next surprises me "As long as that super plant is here, I find it hard".

A super plant? Nana is a super plant?

"I don't think she should live, as far as I read from your research they can be unstable. Besides, it's not like you gotten her permission to study her." Naeun sighs and I can hardly believe what I'm listening "However, we can gather some information from that girl who's been following this 'Nana' around", I see Dr. Park turning to her "How do you plan to do that?" then Naeun smirked "Not all girls like boys. Besides isn't youth when we explore our uality?" I see her taking a pic in her hands and sighing "She looks lonely, that makes it easier."

It was Raina they were talking about. 

I get so angry about this last part, that I could barely hold my hand to hit the wall behind me. Right away, I regret such action.

Oh, damn. I get the front side of my hair messy and knock. "Excuse me, Dr. Park. Are you there? I'm here to deliver a file." I hear steps coming and I put my hand on my head, simulating pain. The door opens and Dr. Park is right there with a serious expression "Did something happen to you?"

"Oh yes, I hit the wall accidentally when coming here. But I'll be fine, here is the file." 

**

"Nana!! Stop!!" I hear Raina screaming and my fears about the part where Naeun said that Nana as a super plant was unstable, clouded my mind. I ran towards the greenhouse, praying that Raina wasn't getting hurt.

When I finally reached the area, I see Raina holding Nana's arms and Naeun in the air being hold by vines, long vines with thorns, a few red drops were falling and my alarm grew. Just when I was about to run towards Nana, water started to fall from the roof. I see Dr. Park and hide, I didn't want her to know that I knew about all this.

Feelings I hear, Nana has feelings I understand, that was the reason for the attack. When everyone leave, I enter and look down to my feet. The weed killer I had on the lab was there, it came out from Naeun's backpack, which I take and leave outside the infirmary before returning to the lab and going straight to the dorms to rest my mind from all what I just witnessed.

End of POV

 

"I'm really sorry I didn't let you know Raina, I could barely understand what was happening. So, I went for what I felt in the moment that would be wise. Letting it happen to see if it was truth."

Raina was torn between the anger about not being told and a feeling of understanding towards her friend. The latter won. "It's okay. It may make me a bit angry that you didn't tell me. I could have avoided that episode with Naeun. On the other hand, it was wise to do that. I can barely handle the fact that Nana is a super plant and Dr. Park's stalking any other day to see if she can study Nana. The least I needed was my best friend involved or getting hurt because of what she found out." Raina sighed and stood in silence for a couple of minutes before Eunji spoke up.

"So, are you going to study her?"

"If Nana gets annoyed by Dr. Park's request, you think it would be different with me?"

"You heard me telling what Naeun read, she's unstable, and Dr. Park herself said that when feelings got involved she would lose her control, don't you want to be prepared?"

"I already accepted her as a human being, I don't want to turn now into another version of Park Sooyoung."

"I'm not telling you to run tests on Nana, Raina. I just want you to study her, merely descriptive, like we used to do with our plants."

Raina looked away "I'll think about it" she went towards the door to leave and suddenly felt her arm held by Eunji.

Eunji's eyes clearly showed a lot of worry, in a soft voice she said "Raina, I don't want you to get hurt."

"I know" Raina smiled at Eunji and the girl let her go.