Chapter 14

Hands and Leaves.

Next morning, Raina found her sleep to be good, especially when she gradually started to wake up, she moved her head on the soft surface where it was. Yes, it was soft. Too soft to be the bed. Such mental statement made her finally to open her eyes.

It was no wonder why it was so soft, she was sleeping on Nana’s chest. She gave a look to her peaceful face and blushed.

“Stop your pheromones. It’s too early.” Nana suddenly mumbled with her eyes still closed, making Raina to take her distance from her since she was blushing a bit more than before.

The human girl stood up from bed, went for a glass of water and then towards the window. Looking outside a bit disappointed by the weather. Great, I can’t take Nana out for sunshine. On the other hand, she thought on something else.

“How do you feel about rain?”

Nana made herself a bit more comfortable in bed before answering “I love it, especially when I’m around my kind”

Raina smiled at such answer, and it went a bit wider when the first drops of water started to fall. She looked for an umbrella and went towards Nana to get her out of bed. The super plant was still a bit asleep. Nevertheless, she wore what Raina gave her before taking her hand, letting her steps to go in the direction the human girl was pulling her.

Nana walked with her eyes closed for most of the time, until she felt a familiar scent, it was the compilation of many leaves and flowers. When she opened her eyes, she found herself in the greenhouse, but it was a different area. There was no ceiling in the center. Raina pulled her into the open circle, where the water started to fall on her head.

Raina just observed how Nana looked up with a surprised expression, then she did something unexpected yet understood by the human girl. She started to undress. She needed to feel that old sensation of being part of a big group of the nature, that one that stood still between any storm and still made to grow life after every strong wind that hit their leaves. Nana —who closed her eyes again— merged with that sensation, raising up her hands and catching some drops of the rain that was pouring her skin. She opened her eyes and smiled when finding out that hands were to be found instead of the leaves that she projected in her mind.

Nana reassured herself that even if hands were to be seen right now, she still had her leaves, after all she was partially plant and partially human. So, yes, she had both: hands and leaves.

After half an hour, the rain stopped. Nana sighed, but smiled again at the moment she just spent. She looked at Raina who was writing, then went close to her. “Thank you, Raina.”

Raina smiled with her eyes still on the notebook, but she felt Nana’s gaze still on her as if she wanted her to look at her face. The human girl did it, she caught on Nana’s calm yet happy face, but then her eyes caught something else: the super plant was .

She immediately looked away, opened many times to say something, until she cleared her thoat to finally mutter “Nana, put your clothes on.”

“Why?”

“Nana, humans are not supposed to go around ”

“But, don’t you all look the same?”

“Yeah, maybe, but just do as I say before someone comes”

Nana got herself dressed and went back to Raina “Are we doing something else now?”

“Yes” Raina said, somehow relieved. “We’re gonna start reading today”

**

Back in the dorms, Raina got all kinds of books she could find and put them on bed, next to where Nana was sitting.

“Are we gonna read all of them today?”

“No, we’ll be reading the ones you choose, except a few ones I’ll pick to start. I don’t know how much I gotta teach you, so we’ll be reviewing the ABCs
as a first.”

Raina started to teach the alphabet to Nana and pronouncing every letter many times so her student would get the sound properly. The super plant proved herself to be a fast learner, it didn’t take more than 5 times for Raina to repeat it before she learned all the letters and sounds in order.

The next hour, they went through some books for kids that Raina chose. Nana was gaining speed bit by bit. Pronunciation still needed work, as well as flow in the reading process, the good thing was that Nana knew a lot of vocabulary already, it made things easier.

After a couple of hours, the super plant chose a dictionary to read. Raina went to change her clothes, since night fell upon them. When she came back, she found Nana asleep with the dictionary still in her hands. She tried to take it away from her, but the super plant didn’t let her.

Raina sighed and kissed her forehead “Sweet dreams, Nana”