Thirteen

Secrets
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kikwang and Nurse Kim were about to say some comforting words when Yoseob looked ahead of him suddenly, eyes blazing with determination.

"Kikwang, let's go!" Yoseob grabbed Kikwang's hand tightly and moved towards the door. 

Alarmed, Kikwang stood rooted to the ground, highly suspicious that Yoseob was losing his senses and sanity.

"Come on, let's go! We have no time to lose!" 

Nurse Kim held on to the hand that was gripping Kikwang's hands and asked gently, "Yoseob ah, where do you want to go?"

"To the hospice! The lake! He's at the lake!" 

"How would you know that? Yoseob, I think you need to go back to your ward and take a rest." Nurse Kim's forehead rows are deeply set now as she wondered what illusions Yoseob was painting in his mind now.

Sighing in exasperation, Yoseob tried to explain himself in the fastest way possible. 
"I know this sounds crazy but just now, I was cut off when I asked Junhyung where he was remember? But I heard Junhyung singing at the background. 
He was singing the song that he sang to me by the lake near the hospice! I'm sure he was trying to hint to me his location without Chan knowing. 
And didn't you all hear that Chan said that Junhyung had a few hours left? It could mean that he wants Junhyung to die a slow, torturous death! 
That's why Junhyung would not shout out the location cause then Chan might change his mind and make the death a quick one!
And that's why all the more Junhyung would let me know of his location so that we can search for him and save him in time!"

Kikwang and Nurse Kim looked at Yoseob doubtfully. It sounded to farfetch and Yoseob was making up guesses based on that phone call that barely lasted for five minutes. They were about to voice out their doubts when Yoseob cut them off.

"What do I have to lose? Junhyung's life is more or less gone to all of you. But to me, this is my last bet, this is my last chance.
I could have made a wrong guess but I'm not going to stay here and wonder if things would have been different if I actually worked on this guess.
So please, Kikwang, let's go. Let me try to save Junhyung."

"Yoseob ah, it's not that I don't want to help but look at you, you can't even run. How do you expect to save Junhyung? 
Let's do this instead. I'll call Doojoon to send his team there and I'll get an ambulance there just in case. You just stay here and wait for updates alright?"

Yoseob slammed his hands down on the table beside him in frustration and exclaimed, "No one knows the lake better than I do! Our hospice is on a small hill but the forested area and the lake is hard to navigate. Nobody knows where exactly Junhyung sang me that song except me. The moment Chan knows the police or an ambulance is available, don't you think he would just end Junhyung's life on the spot!? The best bet is me now. I'll stay hidden till Chan's gone before I'll go to Junhyung. I'll get the medical team from the hospice to help me care for him when I know he's in my safe hands. Don't you all get it? Don't you all see? I'm the best bet and this is the gamble I'm going to take. For Junhyung. So stop asking me to stay here and wait for updates like an obedient, pathetic puppy alright?!"

Kikwang nodded his head, finally agreeing that they had nothing more to lose anyway. "Fine, but I'm going with you. My gun might come in handy and I can at least protect you if anything were to happen." Turning towards Nurse Kim, he bowed and requested, "Nurse Kim, could you get the hospice's medical team to be on standby? The moment we call, they should be ready to come and help save Junhyung. If he's really there, that is."

"He would be there" Nurse Kim whispered, finally getting her voice back. "No one knows Junhyung better than Yoseob and vice versa. So I'm sure Yoseob is right." 

Yoseob smiled at Nurse Kim in gratitude and grabbed Kikwang's hand, not wanting to lose any precious time that they have left. 
With that, the two males walked briskly out, as fast as Yoseob could manage, towards Kikwang's car and headed to the hospice.

Kikwang was thankful that the peak hours were over and the roads were largely empty.
He sped through the roads, ignoring plenty of traffic lights because as he drove, as he manoeuvred through the streets, as he glanced occasionally at Yoseob's face, his belief in Yoseob's guess grew. Nurse Kim was right. Yoseob knew Junhyung the best. 

Yoseob's stomach felt like it was a butterfly garden as it churned heavily throughout the car ride. 
He prayed and prayed that he was not too late and that Junhyung was really there at the lake.
He wished and wished that Chan would not cause any obstacles for him to save Junhyung.
He hoped and hoped that the gamble he was taking now woud see him emerging as a winner.

Finally, after what felt like an hour, 15 minutes of high speed driving brought them to the entrance of the hospice. 
Without any hesitation, Yoseob alighted and headed towards the lake. 
He was trying to run but his legs were screaming at him to slow down, obviously overworked, especially when he had just finished a therapy session.
Suddenly, he knocked into a human's back and realised that Kikwang was now standing infront of him.

"Hop on", Kikwang ordered, half squatting. 

Yoseob smiled, grateful for his very helpful friend and hopped on the back of Kikwang before whispering directions towards where he felt that Junhyung might be at. 
Kikwang quietly followed, knowing very well that they had to be extremely cautious and approach the location with stealth as Chan and his men might still be there and the duo would definitely be outnumbered. 

Ten minutes of waltzing through the forest, they finally reached a large and long clearing.
"I'm putting you down just in case I need to use my gun. Let's stay in the shadows even though it's faster to run across the clearing just in case they are still here." Kikwang warned. 
Yoseob plopped softly down to the grass and looked ahead at the patch of gras

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter