Chapter 7

Is That All You Got?

Jihyun woke up to the sound of buzzing. She tried to ignore it until she realized she wasn't on the floor in her room. Her head shot off of the pillow it was resting on and looked around. She sighed and relaxed when she realized she was at the boys' dorm. She then remembered that her phone had been buzzing so she searched around on the couch for it. She pulled it out from between two cushions and the screen. Youngsuk: 13 missed calls, 2 messages. Jihyun furrowed her eyebrows in confusion. She was pretty sure she didn't have a schedule until later that afternoon. Just then her phone started buzzing again and Youngsuk's caller ID popped up.

"Hello..." Jihyun said timidly, afraid of getting scolded for not answering her phone.

"H-hey!" Youngsuk stuttered half-heartedly, failing at sounding angery with her. "Where are you? I'm in front of your door but you aren't here. I need to talk to you. Where'd you go? I-" He said in a rush but Jihyun cut him off. "Whoa whoa, calm down. I'm just upstairs visiting the guys." She told him, at this point extremely confused.

"Just hurry up and go to the coffee shop across the street. I'll meet you there." Youngsuk said and hung up.

Jihyun didn't bother waking up the boys. They needed some sleep and she wouldn't deprive them of that. She quickly went into their bathroom and checked her hair and fixed the smudges in her makeup before heading out, trying to be as quiet as possible. She walked to the elevator and made her way to the ground floor, quickly leaving the building and jogging across the street. When she walked inside, Youngsuk was already sitting at a table by the window, looking extremely nervous as he twiddled his thumbs and subconsiously his lips. Jihyun walked over and sat in front of him, snapping him out his daze. She offered him a smile but he just looked back at her with sad eyes.

"I-is.... something wrong?" Jihyun asked, her smile quickly fading into a worried frown.

"Jihyun..... I'm so sorry..." Youngsuk paused, not quite sure what to say or how to say it. He avoided making eye contact with her by looking at his hands sitting on the table.

Jihyun began panicking on the inside. "Well? What is it? What happened? Please just tell me!" Jihyun begged desperately.

"They.... they're not going to debut you..."

 

~~~~~4 days later~~~~~~

 

"I'm bored!" Jungkook whined, laying askew on the couch in the BTS dorm. "Where has Jihyun been!? She still hasn't returned my calls and I'm tired of knocking on her door only to get no answer!" He complained, frustrated with the whole situation.

"Your guess is as good as any of ours." Namjoon sighed, also looking rather forlorn. The boys hadn't heard from Jihyun since she left early in the morning four days ago.

"I'VE GOT IT!" Suga yelled, jumping up from his beanbag on the floor. Everyone turned to him, waiting to hear his plan. "Why don't we see if her manager knows something? Don't managers know everything about their idols?" He said, grinning at his own brilliance. Everyone looked to each other, surprised. 

"You're right!" J-Hope jumped up as well. "Now... who has his number?" The boys all looked around at each other, hoping someone would know. When no one offered up the number Jin let out an exasperated sigh. "Well this is great. Should one of us go to the building and find him or someone who would know his number?" He suggested.

"I'll do it." Namjoon stood up. Everyone wished him luck and he grabbed his phone and sunglasses before practically running out the door. He headed towards the Big Hit building with his hood up and sunglasses on, hoping no one would recognize him. Luckily, the streets weren't very busy because most people were either in school or at work at the time. Namjoon safely made it to the building, quickly heading inside and to the front desk. "Excuse me?" He said to the receptionist to get her attention. She looked up and immediatly blushed, realizing who it was. "Is Park Youngsuk in today?" He asked. 

"One moment." The receptionist said quietly before typing at lightspeed on her computer. "Sadly, he isn't in at the moment. Should I give him a message?" She asked as she looked back up at Namjoon.

"Actually.. I was hoping I could maybe get his personal cell number? It's an emergency." He said with pleading eyes.

The receptionist looked conflicted, not sure if she should be giving out a phone number like this but, with one look at Namjoon, she caved. The woman quickly scribbled down the phone number on a piece of paper and handed it to him but didn't let go just yet. "Please don't tell anyone I did this." She muttered, nervous considering she could get in a lot of trouble for this. 

"I'll take the secret of this interaction to my grave." Namjoon offered her a reassuring smile. The receptionist looked relieved and released the paper.

Namjoon quickly ran back to the dorm building and back to the BTS room. "I got the number!" He announced, waving the paper above his head. All the boys jumped up and ran over to Namjoon. "Hurry and call!" "Ask him, ask him!" "Well, what are you waiting for!?" They all yelled things at once, almost scaring Namjoon for being so aggressive about it. He quickly shoved the paper into Jin's hands. "Jin should call!" He said quickly. Jin looked surprised but still quickly pulled his phone out.

"Hello?" The other end picked up. 

"Ah-erm... Youngsuk-hyung?" Jin said, hoping he wouldn't hang up.

"Jin? Is that you?" Youngsuk asked, surprising Jin.

"Yes, sorry to bother you, hyung, it's just.." Jin trailed off, causing the boys to wail in aggravation with Jin.

"What is it, Jin?" Youngsuk encouraged.

"It's... it's just that we haven't heard from Jihyun in a few days... she doesn't reply to our messages or answer the door. We were hoping that maybe you would know what was going on." Jin explained, praying that Youngsuk would have answers.

Youngsuk let out an audible sigh. "She didn't tell you?" He asked, Jin asked what he meant. "I was afraid of this..." Youngsuk muttered. "You see..." Jin quickly put the phone on speaker so that all the boys would hear. "You all of course know she was set up to debut in about a week from now. The thing is... the company isn't letting her debut."

All of the boys reacted differently. Some just showed their surprise with their expressions but V, Jungkook, and Suga let out questions of how they could do that to her and asking why.

"I don't know why exactly but apparently Bang Sihyuk didn't like how it came out and is ordering that Jihyun take a break and in that time he'll decide if he still wants to debut her or not. I personally don't see why. I saw clips that would be in the final video and it looked and sounded fantastic. But you guys never heard me say that. If Bang Sihyuk hears I was questioning his choice behind his back he would have my head." Youngsuk explained, even he was sad about the sudden news. He then told them that he had a meeting and had to go, hanging up before they could say anything.

The boys were shocked silent, unsure of how to react.

"She worked so hard..." Jungkook whispered, finally breaking the silence. He thought back to the day she arrived, the day she found out that she would only need a short training time, the day she finished writing her song, the day she began filming for the video, and the day she stopped filming. She'd fought through all the exhaustion and stayed positive because she knew that if she worked hard that she would debut. And just one decision. One veto. Destroyed that. Caused her whole world to come crumbling down.

Without hesitation, Jungkook ran out the door and down the hall. A few of the boys almost said something or went after him but Jin held them back with a sullen look, watching the maknae run off.

Jungkook stopped when he reached Jihyun's door. He paused and stared at it for a moment before knocking quietly. "Jihyun. I know you're in there." He said quietly but loud enough that he knew she would still hear him. "I... I know what happened, Jihyun. It's absolute bull. You didn't deserve that. You've worked too hard. But, Jihyun, please don't shut us out." He pleaded. "You can be sad, you can be pissed, you can feel however you want but don't go through it alone. That doesn't help anyone. It makes you feel worse and it makes us worry. It makes me worry, Jihyun. We don't know if you've eaten, if you're getting enough sleep, if you're healthy. Please. Open up and talk to us about it." Jungkook had tears in his eyes, he was afraid that she had gotten herself sick from shutting herself in or not eating. 

Suddenly, the door slowly opened and a pair of sunken eyes peeked out at Jungkook. His eyes widened and he took a step forward. "Jihyun..." He trailed off as she opened the door more and he saw just how sickly she looked. She was sickly pale excluding the dark circles around her eyes, telling of how little sleep she'd been getting. She'd also managed to loose a very noticeable amount of weight in such a short time; how, Jungkook wasn't sure. Her expression was completely blank and lifeless. The usual sparkle in her eye-smile was nowhere to be seen.

"I'm sorry." She croaked. Jungkook's heart broke and he quickly pulled her into a hug. At first she didn't respond but her arms slowly lifted to return the hug weakly. Jungkook felt her shaking a bit and knew that she was crying. This pained him. How many times had she cried in the time no one was there to comfort her? Jungkook whispered reassuring things to her as they stood there. Soon she calmed down and slowly backed out of the hug. 

"You can't forget that we're here for you, the guys and I. And if you don't want to talk to a guy, Mary is still around. She's been worried sick, calling us multiple times a day to see if we'd heard from you yet." Jungkook told her, searching her face for something, any sign of life.

"I'm sorry... I... I was selfish and didn't think of you guys." Jihyun said quietly, looking down in shame.

"No, Jihyun, don't be sorry. We understand now. This was your dream. You've given up a lot for this chance. This reaction is perfectly reasonable. Just... don't be afraid to talk to us." 

Jihyun slowly looked up. "Kookie... what if... what if I never debut.... what if it's decided that they want to kick me out?" She asked, revealing what really scared her. She probably wouldn't have been near as bent out of shape if she was just going back into training. Yeah, it still would have hurt but at least she would know that there was still a chance.

"That won't happen. And even if it does, it's Bang Sihyuk's lose, getting rid of such a talented person. Even if you don't make it here, there are other companies out there who I'm sure would love you." Jungkook told her, offering a small smile of reassurance.

"You really think so?" Jihyun asked, finally meeting his eyes.

"I have no doubt in my mind."

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Whoaaaaaaaaa another update! And in such a short time! Think of this as an apology for my absence. This was a pretty emotional chapter, guys! I wanted to give a situation that shows the struggle of a trainee who works so hard and suddenly their dreams jump even further away. Don't worry, there WILL be a proper explanation of why the CEO didn't want to debut her so I'm not just leaving that hanging, I promise. Anyway! Please subscribe and comment because that seriously encourages me to write more! LOVE YOU GUYS! <3