Chapter 8

The Way Back

They don’t share a single word on the way back to the city centre. Ever since that day, the resentment towards her in Sehun’s eyes has disappeared. The pair begin to start all over, trying to return to the best friends they used to be and so far they’ve done a great job. With the support from Ai, Sehun has returned to the training court, planning on returning to the race in the near future. Once in a while, after practicing, the male will call her, asking a few everyday questions and end the conversation with something about his late wife and daughter. Ai knows he has not completely got over it. But it’s fine. At least he is not drowned in devastation, for which Ai is thankful.

Ai, on the other hand, believes she has not got any better. Sehun has been caring towards her over the past few months, being there all the time to hear her sharing her fear and giving the best pieces of advice. Ai is in the best state since the incident. But that has not really helped her get rid of the haunting nightmare. She has been avoiding talking about her problem for the past few days, but Sehun knows her inside out and is well aware that he hasn’t done much for her. However, he has no intention of giving up.
-
The two are sitting in a cafe when Sehun suddenly speaks.

“You know, it’s Saturday today.”

“So?"Ai says, her eyes not leaving the cellphone screen.

"You remember we used to stay over at each other’s house on Saturday nights? You can come over, maybe we can also have dinner together. I miss those days."He explains in a suggestive tone.

"But-”

“I know, Ai. It doesn’t matter if you wake up at night screaming like a lunatic, I’ll also be there. It’s actually better than trying to hide it. Come over. I can drive to your house and take you to mine.”

“Okay.”
-
Before Sehun comes over to pick her up, Ai decides to go visit Nari and Sae Ai at the cemetery again without knowing why. In front of her eyes is the picture of Nari, smiling widely. She was stunning. Pale skin. Big round eyes. Long hair let down. Nari was a gorgeous woman, including her personality. From what she has heard, the latter was kind and forgiving and Ai assumes that she really was. Who else would let her husband name their child after his female best friend? Even though the name made her furious, Ai has to admit it showed their care and appreciation towards her. That’s probably why she felt terrible hearing the news. Despite the fact that Ai once wanted Nari to disappear from Sehun’s life, she knew perfectly well that the younger always deserved Sehun way more than she will ever do. Nari was everything a man could ask for. Someone self-reliant enough to take care of their own life. Someone without driving ambition to be satisfied with a normal career. Someone loving and caring. Someone Ai will never be.

“I see that you have returned.”

A voice springs up, disturbing her thoughts instantly. Ai looks to the side and meets the eyes of a middle-aged lady.

“I’m sorry, madam but I believe you have mistaken me for someone else.”

“No, I believe not. Lee Ai, right? Don’t you recognize me? It hasn’t been too long has it?” The woman replies elegantly.

Only now does Ai actually pay attention to the lady’s face to scrutinize it carefully. She looks oddly familiar. Ai gasps a few seconds later.

The woman in the restroom.

“You are-”

“Yes, it’s me. I see that you haven’t completely forgotten me, Ai."The woman continues with a warm tone while Ai’s busy recalling the memories regarding her. She was at the wedding, maybe she was related to Sehun or Nari.

"Why are you here, madam?”

“To visit my daughter and granddaughter of course.”

Ai immediately falls into a loss for words.

“No need to be so shocked, Ai. Yes, I’m Nari’s mother but there’s nothing to be scared of. I never told anyone and I never judged. Ai, if you are done greeting them, can you go outside and wait? I’d love to have a talk with you after I see my darlings.”

Speechless, Ai doesn’t know what to do but do as she said. After a while, the lady comes to her and starts talking.

“You haven’t changed a lot since the first time I met you.”

“Yes, madam, I-” Ai responds almost too quickly, only to be cut off with the woman’s voice.

“Please, just Mrs Park is fine. You seemed traumatized by the fact that I am her mom.”

Ai only nods. Who wouldn’t be? Telling a woman she is in love with her daughter’s groom right before the wedding? Had Ai known Mrs Park was Nari’s mother, she wouldn’t have done that given billions of dollar.

Surprisingly, Mrs Park doesn’t seem to hold any hatred towards her. In her eyes apparently exist sympathy, respect, and maybe sadness.

“I have told you, young girl. I didn’t judge you and I will not judge you for loving Sehun. It wasn’t your fault. In fact. I adore you.” Mrs Park goes on. While Ai is being confused, she continues explaining.
“You know, you made me feel small compared to you that day. I expected you to runaway from the wedding, to leave him hanging in there waiting. If I had been you, I would have done that. And honestly, I think any other woman would have done that. But you didn’t. You accepted the fact that your heart would be shattered only to please him with your presence. When looking at you at the ceremony, I knew you were dying inside. Still you went all out to smile as if you were really happy for them. And believe it or not, my heart ached for you that moment, honey. My daughter was getting married but all I could see and sympathize with was your pain. I’ve admired you ever since.”

“When I heard that people were trying to contact you but you had already disappeared, I also wasn’t angry at you at all for leaving everything behind. Actually, I kind of expected that when I heard my granddaughter was named after you. You know, Sehun wasn’t the one who came up with the idea. It was Nari.”
Ai is once again dumbfounded. Why would Nari name her child Ai?
“You know, I love my daughter more than anything in the world, but I also knew her dark sides. Everyone is selfish in a way, Ai. And Nari was no exception. You were even more heartbroken after hearing that they named her after you weren’t you?”
The younger nods her head, waiting for an explanation.
“Nari did that intentionally. She never told me but I gave birth to her, raised her and watched her grow up and I knew she was doing that for a reason. To let you become the past. Because she also knew Sehun loved you.”
Ai chortles heartbrokenly. Why does everyone keep telling her Sehun loved her? He never did.

“Don’t laugh, Ai, because it’s true. Did you see how he looked at you at the wedding? That look was unmistakable. I know it, because that was how Nari’s dad looked at his ex-girlfriend on our own wedding day. He never stopped loving her and eventually filed a divorce and they got back together. Sehun was better than him, though. He knew the highest priority of his life was not getting together with the love of his life but to have a peaceful and loving family to go back to and an admirable career and was willing to swipe everything else aside. He did it and I’m grateful to him for loving and treasuring my daughter so well. He loved Nari dearly. But I have known him and treated him like my own son for years and deep down, I know the largest spot in his heart was claimed by you.”

“Anyway, Nari knew that as well and that’s why she convinced him to name their child Ai. I’m not saying this to make you dislike my daughter because she was just a human being with her own selfishness. Besides that, she never hated you. I’m just pointing out that you were intentionally hurt but you still came back and that’s very selfless of you.”

She is not selfless at all. Ai is a person of selfish desires and is now paying the price.

“When Nari and Sae Ai passed away, I literally lived in hell for months. I was soulless and it made me cruel. I cruelly enjoyed Sehun being even more terrible than myself. I cruelly hoped you, his only hope would disappear for good. I cruelly wished he would never get over their deaths. But then your image that day crossed my mind and I immediately felt disgusted by myself. You were only 25 years old when you decided to go through hell to give them your blessings while there I was, a 52 year old woman intending on torturing her son-in-law.”

“We’ve all longed for your return, Ai. Now that you are back, please help him. Fulfil your role in his life. This is also a way of helping yourself. You still love him right? Nari passed away early and her happiness was short-lived, but at least she had experienced it. You, on the other hand, haven’t and I believe you deserve it. You are too kind-hearted to not deserve it, Ai.”