Chapter 3

The Way Back

After the press conference, Sehun calls her.

“Hey.”
“Hey.”
“Did you watch it? It’s okay if you didn’t, go on YouTu…”
“I did. Thank you.”
“Are you thanking me for thanking you?”
“No, for not forgetting me, and how to do the signal.”
“I’ll never. Now tell me about your life during my absence. Baekhyun said you went to Tokyo for IT.”

And so Ai tells him about her life here. Knowing his character, she chooses to leave out unimportant details and keep the main points.


“I share a room in the dormitory, have good grades, date a guy and have a part-time job which I’m about to quit to apply for an internship in Baku.”
She is expecting an immediate reply but Sehun doesn’t answer until 5 seconds later.
“Baku? That’s awesome. I’m using their smartphone. What’s it’s name…yeah, The Baku Asterin 6. I am kinda bored with stuff from Apple and Samsung’s products are of terrible quality. Try to get to work there for real will you? Who knows, I may actually be able to use new models in advance thanks to you.”


How silly of her. What was she thinking? Telling him about her dating? Hoping he would react to it? Sehun doesn’t even seem to care. In fact, he takes more notice of Baku than her love life.


But all she can do is faking a light laugh.


“Yeah right. As if I’m gonna want to see your face.”
“Hum…it’s not very related but I really miss your way of comforting.”
“Huh?”
“It’s clever. You know, if I tell you something bad that happened to me, you’ll tell me how disastrous your life is being. You make me feel like I’m not the one with the worst luck. And if my situation is unbeatably horrible you will tell me about how good having a friend like me is, because when you feel like your life , you look at mine and feel good about yourself again. It’s funny and witty. No one has done that for me here. My coach, my training partner, my girlfriend…Oh, have you known about her?”
“Yes I have. I saw her on TV today. She’s smoking hot.”
“Yeah but I think we’re gonna break up pretty soon.”
“What? Why?”
“She’s been suggesting having . Not that I have any prejudice towards it, I mean I’m a guy with needs after all and we’ve been together for quite a long time and I was planning to do it but before I was ready to make a move she has started sending me her photos. Like really dirty ones.”


Ai nearly chokes on her saliva. But she soon regains her composure and speaks in a mocking tone.


“Well, that’s until she tries you for the first time. Won’t be as eager as soon as she finds out how gay you are.”


She says, lying through her teeth. Never once has it ever crossed her mind that Sehun is not manly enough. His manliness exceeds every other boy his age that Ai has ever met, including Kai, as attractive as the latter is.


Sehun silences for a short while before speaking up.
“Answer me honestly, Ai. Have you ever seen me as a man?”
“Basically, you’re not a man, Sehun. You’re 21 and too young to be considered a man.”
That’s not a complete lie though. As attracted as Ai is by Sehun’s tall figure, broad shoulders, smart brain and persistent personality, Sehun is not yet a man. He will be soon, though.

“I get it.”

Ai wants to explain herself after realizing that what she said was a bit too harsh, but she stops. She is not accustomed to giving excuses and explanation. Ai’d rather be misunderstood than have to persuade someone to hear her out. Especially Sehun. Moreover, she thinks he’s smart enough to know what she said was based purely on her real life experience, not her own opinion.

How wrong of her.
-

Ai gets an internship at Baku and there’s a high probability that she will eventually get an official position there. No, she’s not a famous programmer of any kind and she doesn’t have any influential relationship to help her get into the corporation. It’s technically thanks to her lecturer, Professor Agasa. He gave the class an assignment which included creating an operating system for smartphones and tablets. Ai spent a few weeks organizing her ideas and wrote a sample of codes to represent it, which she thought was normal. But after her presentation, the kind and knowledgeable professor called her in personally, stating that her work was unbelievably outstanding and could turn out to be a big step in the evolution of technology. Of course she didn’t believe it wholly, but professor Agasa, with his wide social circle, somehow managed to send her work to Baku and much to her surprise, they welcomed her for an internship.

Now here she is, getting to work in her dream company while she hasn’t even finished 3rd year in college. The working environment is incredible, though very different from what she thought. Most of the staff in the Technology department are males and not all of them are Japanese, for which she’s extremely grateful. In fact, only about 1/5 of them are, the rest being elite graduates from the most prestigious universities in the world and even some experienced white IT developers who used to work for companies at the Silicon Valley and have been lured into Baku. Everyday, she goes to the university like any other student and rushes to the office as soon as the last class finishes, only to spend the rest of the day in the staff room along with her team, sitting in front of the computer, typing code lines like there is no tomorrow without getting any wink of sleep until the dawn, when she goes back to the dorm to prepare for school. On weekends, she locks herself away in the Technology Department of Baku and as disgusting as it sounds, she doesn’t even brush her teeth, just like any other programmer in the company.


Things last about a year, until the first part of the project has been done and the work is transferred to the Manufacturing Department. When she gets out of the crazy but great working experience, Ai realizes that she and Kai no longer have anything to do with each other. The male actually broke up with her on the phone about three months after she started the internship but Ai was probably too preoccupied to even realize he was dumping her. And she said OK as if Kai was only canceling a date or something. But to her, the relationship was bound to not last long and she’s fine with it.

But it also suddenly hits her that for a whole year, she has not once checked up on Sehun. Without thinking twice, she turns on the laptop and googles him. A few years ago, Ai would have never thought she would find anything worth reading about her best friend online. But here she is, reading a bunch of articles about him. Things surely change, in the most unexpected ways.
In turns out that Sehun and his American girlfriend broke up shortly after his Wimbledon title when he had already been ranked world No. 3, surpassing the legendary player he has been admiring since diapers, Roger Federrer. A few months later, he went on to win the Australian Open and come second in the US Open. He only reached the Quarter Final at Roland Garros that year though. But South Koreans didn’t seem to mind as they had a new public figure to idolize after Kim Yuna. Yes, at 22, Sehun has been enormously popularized in the nation just like Kim Yuna when she won the gold medal at the Olympics.Numerous commercials, advertising contracts and visiting the President. Money, fame and influence, he has got it all.

Predictably, girls flock around him.But to Ai’s relief, Sehun hasn’t dated anyone ever since and is currently single. But she knows, that sooner or later, he will be taken.



Time passes without waiting for anyone. Ai graduated from university a year ago and shortly afterwards Baku Asterin 7 Plus was released, provided with Vortex, the operating system she created from scratch herself and completed together with the team. The success was phenomenal, but that was just the first step in the monumental project and once again the 23-year-old Ai finds herself snowed under work. Despite being given an upscale apartment near the office by the Board of Directors, she stays at work most of the time. She eats there, sleeps there and works there not giving a damn about the outside work for many months nonstop.


Once, feeling too exhausted, she stops for a few minutes and starts thinking about her life outside of this office. Ai hasn’t returned to South Korea for holidays since sophomore year college, not that she has any reason to. To her, Seoul is a place of nothing but emptiness. Returning probably will do her no good. There’s nothing to come back to. No happy cozy home, no loving friends since most of them have also left for other cities, and no Sehun.


No Sehun.

Her train of thoughts is disturbed by the ringtone of her phone. Looking at the caller ID, Ai feels her heartbeat accelerate uncontrollably. Sehun. It’s been so long. Although they both agreed to not call each other regularly, part of Ai wants Sehun to go against it.

“Hey.”


“Hey.”


“I’m using your work here. Asterin 7 right? It’s awesome.”


“7 Plus. And technically, it’s not mine, it was made by everyone here.”


“Whatever. It’s great. Oh, and I saw you on TV, with the CEO of Baku. You look great.”


“Really?”


“Yeah. And you haven’t changed at all.”

Ai is finding something to say when Sehun continues.

“I’m proud of you, Ai. Very.”


Ai is all alone in the office, smiling faintly as she hears the words.
“I’m glad. I’m proud of you too, Sehun.”


Sehun chuckles lightly before changing the topic.
“Oh, I’ll have an exhibition match in Tokyo this August, maybe you can go watch. There’s nothing to do there though since it’s not a competitive match but seeing you there is enough. I mean, we’ve never seen each other for what? 6 years. Every time I go back to Seoul you’re not there and vice versa. Now I’m gonna be in your city. I’ve been waiting for it for so long.”


Ai’s mood immediately brightens. She’ll finally be able to see Sehun again after so long. To embrace him, to tell him how much she misses him.
“Yeah I’d love to-”
Not letting Ai finish her sentence, Sehun cuts in.
“Ah, and I’m bringing my girlfriend as well. Have you heard about us?”
Ai freezes for a good 5 seconds.
“For real? No I haven’t. I was locked up in work and all. How is she?”
Ai is hoping to hear that monotone, uninterested tone of him. Contrary to her expectation, the male speaks with such unprecedented fondness.
“She’s amazing. She’s a South Korean studying here in the US. Adorable and kind. It’s only been 2 months but I actually think I’m in love.”


I’m in love. It breaks Ai’s heart into pieces the moment he says that.
“So what do you say? Free entrance for my dearest of friend.”
“What date?” She manages to say.
“The 15th. 9AM.”
“Ah…I’m so sorry, we’re gonna have a press conference for the new product that day.”
Lie. Obviously. How can she get there and sit near the girlfriend that the one she loves has fallen for? Ai may be a good actor, but not that good. She may explode on the spot.
“It’s a shame isn’t it? But that’s okay, we can meet up after the match.”
“That sounds good. But just the two of us or with someone else?”
“You mean my girlfriend?”
“Yes. It may sound mean but I barely know her. It’ll be awkward.”
“Just the two of us is fine, I understand. You’ve never been keen on strangers.”
“Yeah. I’ll check my schedule and text you later.”
“Okay. Uhm.. And Ai? I miss you so much.”


Ai is speechless once again. Sehun is unknowingly cruelly evil. One second he tells her he loves another girl and the next one tells her how much he misses her. She responds after cursing under her breath.


“I miss you too.” So much it hurts.


Lee Ai is not person with sweet words. This is the first time she has ever told anyone that she misses them. She sounds fragile and she loathes the feeling. But what can she do? No matter how much pride she holds in her soul, Ai is a female with her own weak spots.

The day arrives faster than she thought. Ai is not attending any press conference, she’s sitting in her apartment watching the charity match Sehun is taking part in. The said male is already World No.2 with 5 Grand Slams under his belt, receiving each of which he did the hand signal to thank Ai silently.


Sehun is playing with ease, his face expressing genuine joy, the smiley face she wants to plant kisses on so much. If there’s anything else to say about the boy, it’s that despite his ambition, Sehun is never overly competitive. He knows how to enjoy life as well.


The camera suddenly averts to a girl. An Asian girl and Ai immediately recognizes her. His girlfriend. Much to her surprise, the girl looks likable. Feminine. Bright. Nice. If she were not Sehun’s girlfriend, Ai would have liked her without hesitation.
The girl, nonetheless, is and Ai can’t bring herself to adore her.
-
Ai and Sehun has promised to meet up 30 minutes after the match and therefore, she’s in the bathroom, preparing herself to see him for the first time after 6 years when the match hasn’t even ended yet. After cleaning up, Ai goes back to the living room, holding a glass of water, only to let it slip out of her hand and break to pieces a few seconds later because of what she’s seeing on TV.


Sehun and his girlfriend are kissing.


The boy is showing a kind of affection she has never seen on him before.

Sitting lifelessly on the couch, Ai hesitates for a few seconds before dialing Sehun.

“Wow, you actually called me first! What’s up?”
“Uhm…Sehun, I’m sorry but I don’t think I can hang out with you today. Something happened over here and I gotta take care of it.”
“What? How could you? I was dying to meet you and you’re busy? Alright, I have one more day in Tokyo, maybe-”
“I’m so sorry but I can’t go out any day this week. I really am.”
The other line shows no response for almost 10 seconds.
“It’s alright, I almost forgot that you have work too. Not everything is about me, is it? I am the one who should apologize.Okay, I’ll hang up. Goodbye.”

No you’re not Sehun. Don’t ever apologize to me. Ai screams in her head but doesn’t find the way to say it out loud.

Things have been alright. She and Sehun still keep in touch. A few weeks ago, she was watching Sehun competing in the Roland Garros final. The said male had become World No.1 at the age of 25 with 9 Grand Slams title, making himself a malegod in the eyes of millions of South Koreans but still hadn’t claimed a Roland Garros title yet and knowing Sehun, Ai was well aware that he was dying to have it. But the odds were against him at the time. He had lost 2 sets and was almost losing the third one when it suddenly rained, giving him the opportunity to call her cellphone.
“Hey.”
“Hey.”
“Are you watching? I’m losing.”
“Yes I am. And yes you are.”
“Say something."He said in utmost desperation.
Ai stopped to think. A few seconds later, she replied.
"I want to see you do our star sign on the court of French Open.”
Sehun also took a while to come up with a response.
“Okay. I will.”
Ai was somehow sure he was smirking confidently.
And he did it.

Ai, meanwhile, continues working at Baku and eventually becomes the head of the Technology Department since some prominent seniors have quit to try working somewhere else. That’s how it works in the world of High-tech professionals. Her job has not drastically changed on the whole, her teammates are still creative and cooperative and overall nice, except most of them are single guys with needs who don’t seem to realize Ai is a female and watching in front of her. Besides, for being the main creator of Vortex, she gets invited to give lectures at prestigious universities. MIT, Yale, Oxford…it’s strange to think she used to be obsessed with setting foot on these places and now she has, not as a student, but as a lecturer. Ai has even got her own Wikipedia page and it’s almost as long as Sehun’s. She’s gone so far.

She used to date a Japanese banker she met in a meeting. The guy was a gentleman and very sharp-minded and for a while Ai really thought he was the one to pull her out of her love for Sehun. But he turned out to have cheated on Ai before dumping her for refusing to give him her ity. She was heartbroken, possibly even more terribly than when seeing Sehun with his girlfriend. But only for a month.


Now she’s alright.
Or so she thinks.
Because in front of her right now is an envelope from Sehun and his girlfriend Nari.

Opening the envelope, her heart stops beating.

A wedding invitation.