buying time

The Red Shoes

Thank you for continuous support and comments. I've got a reference for this chapter :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pdh96qC8gGo

----------------------------

When I look for water backstage the place is almost empty. I’m glad to see that our precious staff has been evacuated. Imagining that any of them could get hurt because of us is disturbing.

Because of us? I’m not blaming Taemin, am I? He’s out there literally dancing for everybody’s lives. It’s not his fault.

I know these thoughts are useless as so many others I have, but I start to wonder if anybody will blame our Maknae for casualties later or already is now.

I shake it off, grab two packs of water-bottles and run back to the center-stage. I’m relieved to see that Moon is keeping the army and police at bay just by being there.

Sweat is streaming down Taemin’s . I rip away the wrapping of one of the packs, screw open a bottle and give it to him. He gulps down half of it while dancing on, then hands it to Kibum before I can open another one. I don’t know why but his gesture is somehow touching.

I still take the next bottle and ask: “Would you like a bit of a shower?”

The music stops again. Taemin grabs the bottle from me and pours water all over himself and I hastily give one to Kibum, too.

He is still very pale but looks even more focused than our Maknae. While he showers the next track begins with a dry, heavy beat.

“Mirotic?” Moon exclaims surprised, “but ... isn’t that a DBSK song?” So even his generation knows our sonbae’s most famous song.

Gods, that’s a ing hard choreography and confusing if you don’t dance it as a group.

We have sung “Mirotic” on a radio-show once but we’ve never really practiced the dance-routine. And there’s no time, the song immediately starts without preface. But the vocal-track is removed which makes it almost impossible to follow. Taemin stares at Kibum horrified.

“ ... pyeongbeomhage na ege kkeullyeo ...” a familiar voice comes over the speakers. I turn around and there’s Jjong holding a crooked headset that looks like he wrestled it forcefully away from someone. He’s singing the difficult lines pitch-perfect, pouring his anger and worry into it like he always does when he is seriously under pressure.

Our dancers immediately take on the melody and follow. They are somehow managing although even Kibum is hazy about the exact steps. But the outcome seems sufficient: when I'm checking the lights in Tae's shoes they have turned to green again.

I’m surprised that Jjong and Minho are still there although General Yoon tried to have them removed. But I’m so grateful for it that I don’t really care.

Minho is ready for Yunho-Hyung's part but the track stops. I wonder if the bomber actively tries to throw off Taemin and when he doesn’t succeed changes the music.

It’s “Noona neomu yeppeo” next, the boomtrack-remix. Does he want to give them a break to prolong the torture? Taemin visibly relaxes. He gives Key a little smile even and says:

“Take a break, Hyung, I’m fine.”

Kibum nods. He doesn’t sit though but starts walking up and down to keep his circulation going.

I turn and take a look at the stands. There are still a lot of people up there but we’re making progress. The crowd appears calmer than before in spite of the latest explosion. Song and his police squadron are obviously doing a good job organizing the evacuation.

I meet up with Minho and Jjong once again who have successfully got rid of the army-guys.

“What did you tell them?” I ask Jjong.

Before he can answer Minhos says with a grin:

“Hyung didn’t tell them anything he just punched one in the face.”

“You punched a member of the ROK?”

“It just happened”, Jonghyun says half proud and half embarrassed pulling a Dino-face that makes me hug him.

“And then they just let you go?” I keep asking.

“Minho said something about working in a team and then the explosion hit above the stage” Jjong explains, “and everybody was more concerned about that.”

“What about the headset, where did you get it, I thought ...” I trail off when Jjong looks at me like I’m weird. What the do I care actually.

“Seriously, Dubu, your head works too hard.”

Right.

There is nothing to do for us in the floor area anymore but I don’t want to move too far away from the stage, just in case ... same goes for Jjong and Minho obviously, so we all gather at the center.

Moon has been checking the main stage again, talking to the squad members working on the lopsided scaffolding. He’s coming back to us now with a deep frown on his face.

“How is he?” He asks nodding towards Taemin.

“I’m fine”, he answers for himself, “worry about Key-Hyung.”

“I’m fine, too”, Kibum says still walking up and down. But we all see that it’s a lie. I don’t know what kind of damage tasers actually do but I’m positive they’re not good for your circulation and heart-rate.

“We can’t release you any time soon”, Moon explains now addressing Taemin directly, “the set-up of the bombs is much more complex than we thought. It might take a couple of hours to disarm all devices.”

“HOURS?” Jjong shouts. “How do you expect Taemin to keep going for that long?”

“As soon as the building has been evacuated we’ll ask for permission to abandon. They won’t like it but the army will take responsibility.”

“You mean you’ll just let the guy blow up the stadium?” Minho asks incredulously.

“Yeah”, Moon says dryly, “my top-priority is saving lives, not structures; and since there is no residential area anywhere near the stadium there is no risk to jeopardize further civilians.”

“Thank you”, Jjong and I say in unison while Minho just bows down 90 degrees.

“Thank me later, we’re not anywhere close to that yet. I’m most worried about the scaffolding. If the second device up there goes off it will collapse and that might weaken the entire structure of the roof, meaning the whole will probably come down.” Turning to Taemin again he adds:

“Son, buy us enough time to clear the main stage. By the time we’re done there, the evacuation might have been completed. After that, we’ll just get the hell outta here.”