"keep breathing"

The Red Shoes

With imminent danger apparently under control I turn again to the audience. People in the front rows have left their seats and joined the crowd that’s barging towards the exits. There are two teenage girls though still struggling right in front of me. One of them is equipped with a wheelchair that has been pushed over in the chaos. The other one is screaming hysterically instead of trying to get her friend back into the chair.

I jump down from the stage to at least do something and scramble over the security barrier.

The hysteric girl is desperately clinging to the wheelchair thus making it harder to get her friend back into it. While I wrestle with her, Jonghyun suddenly is next to me and pulls her away. Together we manage the situation.

When I sit the disabled girl into the chair again she holds on to me for a second, crying.

 “Please, move towards the exit with your friend”, I tell her, “try not to push, stay calm, will you?” She nods into my chest and lets go of me. Wiping her nose on her sleeve she pulls herself together.

Her friend is still clinging to Jjong but the girl in the wheelchair tugs at her shirt and shouts resolutely: “Come on, we gotta get out, let go of the puppy!”

I almost laugh but Jjong just smiles and waves her off.

There’s more to do though. Security guys are trying to get to the areas affected by the explosions but there aren’t many of them. So we join in and after a second of hesitation they just let us.

There is somebody buried below a big piece of plaster. We grab it unanimously and try to remove it as carefully as possible.

“Look out”, one man shouts when the lifted up plaster sheet is about to break. But Jjong already crouches below and pushes upwards with his back, shielding the woman we discover beneath the rubble. She’s unconscious but alive. Together we toss the plaster to the side.

The music stops again. Jjong and I simultaneously whip around and look back at the stage. Taemin nervously moves looking down at his feet. Kibum is still with him and grabs his hand.

Then a new track begins. It’s a shuffle rhythm. I hate those because they’re tricky. It’s up to the dancer which beat to accentuate. I would never even try to freestyle on this. But our Maknae should be fine. I think he’s one of the best freestyle-dancers in the world.

After a second of hesitation he indeed gets smoothly into the grove looking at his Hyung for approval which despite the situation is touching. Kibum still staring down slightly nods and lets go of Taemin’s hand.

I can’t see the shoes from where we are but I guess the lights are green again.

“They’re fine!” Jonghyun shouts, “let’s get back to work.”

Suddenly there are paramedics among us and it dawns on me that of course in the meantime authorities outside have been alarmed. There’s probably a whole squad of police outside the stadium as well as ambulances and firefighters. We’ll be out of here in no time.

“How did you get in?” One of the security-guys asks a first-aider.

“Emergency exits backstage”, the man answers, “they’re letting in the bombsquad now. Police is helping at the main exits and entrances but some are blocked from the inside.”

“EVERYBODY STAND BACK FROM THE EXITS!” a voice hollers over the speakers.

“What now?” Jjong asks clenching his teeth in frustration. But this doesn’t come from the mystery man. Someone has taken Minho’s headset, obviously a police officer.

“POLICE IS NOW IN CHARGE. THE BOMBSQUAD IS ALREADY AT WORK.”

I wonder if it’s wise to announce this openly and for the bad guy to hear. But they should know how to handle the situation I guess. I feel a wave of relief seeing that there are people in charge who can deal with this.

There’s a whole bunch of police on stage now. I’m still wondering what they’re doing when I suddenly see Minho being pushed around. What the hell ...?

I can’t hear what they’re saying over the music that keeps thundering from the speakers but it looks like the police are trying to drag our boys from the stage. Don’t they realize what’s going on?

While I just stand there gaping Jjong already runs back. Gods, if they stop Taemin there will be another detonation.

I hurry back, too. Three police officers wrestle down Minho who desperately tries to explain. Two more try to grab Taemin and Key, but the latter keeps evading and directing them away from Taem.

Jjong jumps over the security barrier the second they bring down Kibum ... with a taser.

“ARE YOU NUTS?” Jonghyun yells, “ARE YOU TOTALLY OUT OF YOUR MIND?” He shoves away the young police-officer with the taser-gun, ready to hit him.

“Jjong”, I shout but it’s unnecessary, he forcefully holds his temper under control.

I look at Taemin who despite of the ruckus bravely keeps dancing. He’s drenched in sweat probably more due to the stress than the physical exertion.

But the uncalled for violence that brought Kibum down has changed the atmosphere: the police are listening when Jjong now urgently starts to talk.

They let go of Minho. I kneel down next to Kibum who is still partly paralyzed and in obvious pain. A bit of blood is trickling from the corner of his mouth when I help him to sit up.

“I bit my tongue”, he mumbles and then urges me, “help me to stand.” So I do.

Jjong and Minho now have the embarrassed officers’ undivided attention. I leave it to them, to explain the situation when the music stops again.

Yellow lights. Everyone now stares at Taemin. He’s trembling, I bet his heart-rate has increased alarmingly. Kibum reaches out to him again still a bit unstable on his feet.

“Keep breathing” he says rearranging his headset. I’m not sure why he is still wearing it but his voice over the speakers has a soothing effect even on the crowd, "keep breathing Taem."