last chance

The Red Shoes

On Saturday my husband left for Seoul. He'll be away for three month ㅠㅠ

But maybe that gives me more time for other important things ^^. Thank you for patience, reading and commenting. You're really sweet and I appreciate it very much!

---------------------------------------------------

On the screen we see the bomb-squad leader apparently answering a call over his headset. I guess they’re informing him about the signal and that they’re trying to find the bomber.

Moon lets go of Taemin’s feet and says something to Kibum but he just shakes his head. Then it looks like Taemin is arguing with his Hyung but Kibum just keeps refusing whatever they want from him.

The bomb-squad leader eventually gets up and leaves and our boys are on their own again.

“Where is he going?” Jjong asks agitated.

“He’s probably teaming up with the police to find the guy”, Minho answers and I add:

“Maybe he can disarm the device in Taem’s shoes only from where the bomber is.”

“There’s no ing time for that!” Jjong says and points to the screen again.

We helplessly watch another explosion within the range of the camera. The main stage is blown up. I see the big bass-drum propelled up into the air and then smashing into the runway towards the center stage. It feels like the explosions are closing in on Taemin and Kibum, as if all the bombs in the stands already have gone off and the remaining ones get closer and closer to them.

The bomber’s wife is suddenly next to us again and tries to get to the microphone. Since officer Song went with his men to search for the guy Minho steps in and holds her back.

“Don’t make it worse”, he says calmly and I can’t help but admire him for his composure. The woman is still crying. Seeing Jjong gritting his teeth in frustration she starts to apologize.

“I’m ... I’m so sorry ... I ... please, I never meant to hurt him. I really love Taemin, I would never do anything to harm him ... this ... I’d do anything to save him ...” then, turning to me since Jonghyun doesn’t react to her at all, she adds:

“Please, I’d gladly swap places with him ... “

“Do you even realize that this is not just about Taemin and you? Do you realize that people already got hurt?” I ask her. I’m angry, too. This is not a love-triangle going on. We’re in the middle of a serious attack on a public event.

“... and it’s not just Taemin in there”, Minho adds, “Kibum’s life is on the line as well.”

I look at him. He’s still calm but I know that he’s burning inside. It makes me weirdly proud that he steps in for his friend. They have overcome their conflicts ages ago. But they are polar opposites in so many aspects that it still makes me wonder how they can be so close.

None of us has said it, but we all know that what Kibum refused was his last chance to leave.

There are still a lot of people on the plaza and everyone’s eyes are glued to the screen. It looks like the security has removed the hysterical fans, which is a relief. I can perfectly well understand their fear and it is touching that people care so much but it doesn’t help when young girls wrestle with the police to get a better sight of what’s going on.

The broadcasting vans have given up trying to get through. They stay behind police-lines using tele-lenses and long-range microphones. I wonder what the public so far has learned about the situation.

Suddenly we hear the bomber again over the outside speakers:

“TIME IS UP NOW, I GUESS. SAY GOODBYE TO YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY, BOY.”

A ripple of agitated voices goes through the crowd in the plaza and I look back at the screen. Kibum is on his feet again, sweaty and pale.

Another explosion happens close by although not visible directly on the screen. But we see a cluster of floor-seats blasted across the runway between the already ruined main-stage and the center-stage that now looks like a lost island in an ocean of destruction. Kibum doesn’t even blink.

“OKAY NOW,” Kibum shouts back over the headset he has rearranged for everybody to listen. “WE ALREADY KNOW THAT YOU CONTROL THE EXPLOSIONS FREELY. BUT WE ALSO KNOW THAT THERE ARE EXPLOSIVES IN TAEMIN’S SHOES THAT WILL KILL HIM WHEN HE TRIES TO LEAVE THE STAGE.”

So apparently Moon has confirmed that the shoes don’t control the explosions within the stadium but are somehow connected with the stage.

“THEREFORE IT DOESN’T MATTER WHETHER HE DANCES OR NOT AS LONG AS HE STAYS ON THIS PLATFORM.”

The madman laughs over the speakers then he shouts:

“YOU’RE MIGHTY SMART, MISTER ... WHATEVER YOUR NAME IS.”

“WE’RE IN YOUR HANDS, BUT YOU SAID YOU’D GIVE US ANOTHER CHANCE.” Kibum tries to keep the madman talking.

“I DON’T BELIEVE YOUR BOY CAN DO THIS”, the guy chuckles.

Kibum looks down at Taemin who is still on the floor trying to stand up, but failing even to get into a crouch.

“YEAH”, he then confirms, “BUT MAYBE I CAN.”