voices in the crowd

The Red Shoes

I'm trying to keep it as close as possible to "reality" and it's harder than I thought. So I sometimes need to do a bit of research that's why I'm taking a bit longer than before. Thank you for your patience, reading, subscribing, upvoting, commenting and encouraging me continuously! :)

------------------------

The bomb-squad guy comes back with his boss. General Yoon immediately yells at Moon:

“You will NOT abandon the stadium after the evacuation is complete. Who do you ing think you are to give permission to blow up a public building?”

Moon looks unimpressed by the rant but I’m not sure how much room for maneuvers he has and what he can and cannot decide.

“I’d rather blow up a stadium than risk a life”, Moon says.

“Do you have any idea how much money ...”, Yoon continues agitated but before he can finish Jjong is upon him. He only just realized what this is all about.

Grabbing the General by his jacket he shouts:

“ARE YOU SAYING THE ING STADIUM IS WORTH MORE THAN THEIR LIVES?”

He agitatedly points at the screen.

Song pulls him away from Yoon who is almost apoplectic with rage and looks ready to shoot Jjong if only he had a gun ready.

Moon steps between them and with an exaggerated sigh says:

“Look, General, we’re trying to do our job in there. But that boy can’t dance forever. If we don’t find a way to break the trigger-chain or to neutralize the wireless signal within the next half hour I’ll abandon and take full responsibility. I’m neither risking my team’s lives nor that of those kids.”

“You will do your job in there”, Yoon hisses not ready to back down, “or you’ll bear the consequences.”

“I already said that I’ll take responsibility, Yoon”, the bomb-squad leader calmly answers, “and now get off my back.”

With that he turns away and hurries back towards the building.

So they won’t release Taem and Kibum anytime soon.

Jjong is still agitated.

“I’m going back in”, he tells Song.

“Look”, Song answers looking tired and fed up, “I understand how you feel and I might actually try the same if someone close to me was in a similar situation. But you’re not helping anybody in there and they will not want you to endanger your life either.”

He knows that the police-officer is right. Clenching his teeth Jonghyun glances at me which almost breaks my heart because he doesn’t often ask my opinion or advice anymore.

I shake my head. Song is right, it doesn’t help anybody. Jjong looks defeated, hanging his head like a child. I lay my arm around his shoulders. I hate it just as much that we can’t do anything.

Taemin has recovered a bit. He is dancing more confidently again while Kibum is taking another break. He looks incredibly pale but that might be partly due to the lighting. I hope they’ll both hang on.

The crowd slowly decreases around us. There are still people coming out of the stadium but perceptibly less than before.

A core group of about 200 people on the plaza is adamantly resisting authorities and demands to stay within eyeshot of the screen. They’re as worried as we are. Police and army meanwhile scatter the greater part of the audience towards the park that is largely closed off.

There are three broadcasting vans trying to get closer but the military won’t let them pass. Of course the press would already know.

The music breaks off again. Everybody stops in what they’re doing to watch the screen.

Taemin stands bent forward, supporting himself with his hands on his thighs, panting.

“Drink something for Christ’s sake”, Minho says beside me. Kibum obviously thinking the same forces a bottle into Taemin’s hand and makes him chug half of it.

Then the next track starts.

, I have no idea what it is. We’re all staring at the screen.

“Seo Taiji?” Song asks no one in particular.

“I don’t think so”, Jjong says, flustered, “but it must be about the same era ...”

I hear the people in the plaza around us also nervously discussing what song it is. A woman in her forties right in front of the stage suddenly exclaims:

“That’s Deux, I remember that song. It’s ‘Break off the Yoke’.”

“Are you sure?” Jonghyun asks her and she turns to him deeply blushing and confirms:

“Yes, yes I’m sure!”

“It won’t help if they hear the title of the song”, Minho says to Jjong.

“You never know with Kibum”, Jjong replies dryly while already grabbing the microphone.

“It’s Deux ‘Break off the Yoke’”, he shouts.

Kibum flinches slightly at the acoustic feedback. Then he replies with a smirk:

“I already know that.”

Right. I suddenly remember that both Taemin and Key were in that episode of Moonnight actually playing the roles of Lee Hyun Do and Kim Sung Jae, the Hiphop duo Deux. Of course he would know.

While following their struggle with the song I start to process that what we see is probably what the odd camera that Kibum pointed out to me captures; because the official system wasn’t entitled to broadcast to the outside screen.  Thinking about it I realize that although the angle doesn’t change the camera is zooming in and out. This must have been prepared by the bomber beforehand and it means that he right now controls the recording ... there must be a signal that can be tracked.