He Goes to School

What We Can See (DISCONTINUED)

It's been three days since Jiyong was released from the hospital, eight since the accident. From what information he could gather, he was involved in a car accident which involved alcohol, him, and a slippery road in the outskirts of Seoul. The good news is that no one else was involved. The bad news is that he almost died and stayed comatose for four days. An even worse news is that ever since the accident, he started seeing things that no one else could.

 

 

 

 

"Young Master, please get out of bed. It is your first day of school. Your parents will not be pleased if you are late." The butler knocked on his door for the third time.

 

Unknown to him, Jiyong was already done preparing. The only thing holding him back from opening the door for his butler was the old man sitting in front of it while ceremoniously sipping his cup of tea.

 

Jiyong sat on his bed while clutching his bag, praying for the old man to get up and leave. Then he heard keys rattling outside his room and his door flew open. The old man vanished as the butler told him to come out for breakfast. Hastily, he made his way to the dining room.

 

He put his last slice of toast in his mouth and forced it down with orange juice, barely chewing. His eyes focused on the seat across him. There, the old man from earlier sat looking directly at him. His skin was pale, his hair disheveled, and eyes bloodshot. He looked built, too, despite his suit. He looked… Angry? he thought to himself.

 

"…-ter, are you listening? Young Master Jiyong?" asks the butler. He has been talking about the instructions his parents left before flying off, yet again, to another country for business.

 

Jiyong tore his gaze away from the old man. "Yes."

 

The butler sighed in defeat. That has been his young master's reply to almost everything since the accident. 'Yes'. Either that or a shake of his head.

 

 

 

 

The drive to the school was quiet. Jiyong had his earphones on as he sat in the back. He was no longer allowed to drive any car with or without a chaperone. He preferred it that way, too. Along the way, Jiyong kept his eyes closed. He was afraid of seeing things he wasn't supposed to see.

 

His driver pulled over by the gate, waking up the sleeping Jiyong on the process.

 

"Have a wonderful day, young master." With that, the driver dropped him off and drove away.

 

With a huff, Jiyong strode inside the school and kept his gaze on the ground. He tried to keep his cool. He was Kwon Jiyong, campus king and ever so popular. He was the cool guy, the confident guy. Everybody loved him.

 

Yet now he comes to school, eyes focused on his steps and hands inside his jacket pockets. He was afraid.

 

"Jiyong hyung!!!"

 

Jiyong lifted his head and looked into the direction of the source of the sound. He stood rooted in his spot as his dongsaeng Seungri ran towards him at full speed. When he was near enough, he tackled Jiyong into a fierce hug.

 

"Haven't seen you last couple of weeks. Where did you go, hyung?" he asked.

 

My parents. Of course, he thought to himself. There was no way his parents, being the influential people they were, would expose the recklessness of their own son. He looked at Seungri and just shrugged his shoulders as a reply. Seungri awkwardly let go as they started walking to the school buildings.

 

"Where are the guys?" Jiyong says after a while.

 

"I didn't put GPS on them." Seungri smiled stupidly wide.

 

Jiyong nodded his head and continued walking. Seungri was confused about his hyung's current behavior. Usually, he would comment something sarcastically and hit him. He was about to ask him what was wrong but decided not to.

 

"Youngbae and Daesung hyung are in their classrooms. Seunghyun hyung's going to be late," Seungri tells him anyway.

 

Again, Jiyong nodded. The rest of the walk was filled in by Seungri's chatter which Jiyong would only respond with either a shrug or a nod of his head. All the while, he kept his gaze on the ground.

 

It wasn't long until they reached the main hallway and parted ways. Jiyong headed to the west wing of the school building, still with his head down. If he looked up, he would have seen Seungri's knitted brows directed towards him. If he looked up, he would have seen the confused yet worried expression his friend had for him. He knew he would have seen it if he looked up but he didn't. He didn't because there was something he didn't want to see.

 

There was something that was behind Seungri. And it wasn't human at all.