Ohana means family

Trying: The 'sort of' Sequel

In which Jongin's mum gets marrried and the three Kim's are invited to the wedding

~

"We should never have agreed to come to this" 

It was Jongdae who had managed to convince Joonmyun to come to the wedding. First getting the invite, he was adamant that he was not going to go and would only agree to allow Jongin to go only because it was his mum who was getting married. In his honest opinion, he saw no reason to go; the two of them had only just re-established a somewhat friendship between them for the benefit of their son and they had only just finished the process whereby Jongin's mum had agreed to hand over full custody of her son to Joonmyun o the grounds that she got visitation rights. Things were still quite delicate between the two of them and he just thought going to something as big as a wedding was too soon. 

Jongdae's first attempt at trying to convince Joonmyun to go were practically futile; no mater how many times he tried to bring the matter up, Joonmyun would always expertly find a way to change a conversation or ignore Jongdae until he got so fed up he told his boyfriend to quit it or he would be sleeping on the sofa for the night. Jongdae didn't want to take that risk.

It was a perfectly timed moment of Jongin asking his dad if he was going to come with him on the day. Jongin knew he had to go- it was his mum after all- but he wasn't sure if his dad and Jongdae were tagging along as well. Taking this as an opportune moment, Jongdae was in full swing listing a number of reasons for Joonmyun to go to the wedding; the main one being that Jongin didn't want to be left alone, but it was also another opportunity to begin to leave the past behind and start over with a new chapter in their life. It was only then Joonmyun finally agreed to come.

"It's really not as bad as what I thought it would be" Jongdae commented, looking around the venue for the evening party "The ceremony was lovely, the food was great, and I'm not sure when I'm going to have a drink out of fancy glasses like this again. I'm making the most of this" 

Jongin had spent most of the day sat in silence. The only times he had spoken was if someone else spoke to him or he needed to go to the bathroom. Joonmyun could see he didn't really look comfortable being here but they couldn't leave too early, Jongin's mum still had every right to see her son as Joonmyun had if they were in a similar but opposite situation. 

"Go over and congratulate her" Jongdae offered when he saw Joonmyun stealing continuous glances towards her 
"I don't know... it's really a big deal that I'm here anyway" Joonmyun replied as Jongdae rolled his eyes and nudged him towards Jongin's mum. 

"Come on, it can't be that hard right? Think of today as a new start where all the bad stuff is forgotten about. By going up to congratulate her on her new start can also give you some closure and give you a new start with me and Jongin" he explained and whining that for someone who worked and acted like a kid most of the time, Joonmyun had to admit Jongdae had a way with words sometimes and followed his advice on going up to congratulate her. 

Having kept quiet for most of the evening, Jongin was sat next to Jongdae watching as his dad cuddled his mum and for the first time in a long time she looked genuinely happy; she had been smiling the whole day, laughing with no sense of fakeness and was actually hapy to see Jongin and made sure he was in plenty of pictures with her instead of pushing him away and ignoring him. He couldn't understand that if she was this happy for one day, why she wasn't happy all the time before Jongin was sent to live with his dad. 

"She was never this happy with me" he said bitterly, hearing Jongdae sigh next to him as he moved closer and wrapped his arm around his shoulder 
"I know Jongin,and right now you're too young to understand why she was like this and why she sent you to live with your dad, but you'll understand one day. Don't doubt she never loved you though; she's your mum Jongin and she loves you just as much as anyone else" 

"And daddy loves me" Jongin stated 
"Of course he does. I think he loves you more than me!" Jongdae exclaimed, managing to bring a smile to Jongin's face. 

"And you love me too, right?" he asked and this was almost a repeat of the previous time where Jongin had called Jongdae dad for the first time, except this time around Jongdae wasn't so shocked and was able to answer the question without panicking. 

"I guess I do" he joked and proceeded to tickle the boy to get him laughing. It was a wedding for crying out loud and the last time Jongdae checked, weddings were a happy occassion- with a few tears saved for vows and speeches- since when was everybody sad or grumpy? He was determined to change it! 

 

 

With the evening kicking into full swing it was finally time for some music and to get people up onto the floor! Jongin's many attempts to drag his dad onto the floor were in vain as Joonmyun refused to move an inch on account he couldn't dance to save his life. Jongdae wasn't any better, but he was more than happy to get dragged out onto the dancefloor when a song Jongin liked was played and he wanted somebody to dance with. 

Jongin had cheered up significantly since the beginning of the day, though there was one moment where his mum wanted a dance and it took some encouragement from his dad to get him to do so. He guessed he liked it, but pulled out and went straight back to Joonmyun when his mum's new husband tried to join in. He may be his stepfather in law, but even at the age he was Jongin was never really going to see him in that way- he had his real dad Joonmyun and his other dad Jongdae to play that role for him. 

"Will you come out and dance with me just once tonight?" Jongdae asked whining when Joonmyun remained in his seat and shook his head
"You know I can't dance. The only times I do are when I'm out with the others and they practically force me onto the dancefloor, even then I'm extremely bad" he replied. 

"So what? I'm not a good dancer myself but that didn't stop me from dancing with Jongin all night!" Jongdae countered 
"True, but unlike you I don't carry the confidence to go out there and let myself go like that" Joonmyun shot back and it was becoming very obvious that Jongdae was slowly losing this battle between them. 

It was when a slow song began playing and all the couples in the room accompanied the bride and groom onto the dancefloor. Seeing this as a a small glimmer of hope, Jongdae stands up and extends him hand to Joonmyun who is quick to decline the offer. 

"Come on Joon, when have we ever slow danced before?" Jongdae asked and Joonmyun could list off the top of his head a number of times the two of them have attempted to do so, but stops himself when he see's the look on Jongdae's face. 

"If I do this one dance will you leave me alone?" he replied, taking Jongdae's hand and being dragged out to the corner where even though they were joining in, they weren't really in with the other couples and Joonmyun apreciated that Jongdae took this into account. 

It was quite awkward and stiff to begin with, but soon Joonmyun was able to relax and actually enjoy himself when it came to dancing for once! Glancing around at the others couples, his eyes eventually landed on Jongin who was sat at the table by himself looking at something else. When Joonmyun looked and saw that a few children had joined in with their mum's to dance, Joonmyun let one arm go from Jongdae and waved Jongin over to join them. Joonmyun is the one to pick Jongin up, but his son makes sure to include Jongdae by wrapping an arm around his shoulder and resting his head against Jongdae's shoulder. 

The three of them dance together until the song finishes and for once Joonmyun can say he actually enjoyed himself dancing. He especially liked that the three of them were dancing together; his own little family coming together to share this moment, it felt kind of special for him... 


If you're getting confused by my time hops with how old/ young people are in these chapters, my apologies and if you want I can hint at the end of a chapter before a new one if Jongin is young or older in the chapters for future reference? 

So yeah... this chapter gets really kinda fluffy by the end... kinda why I added the really fluffy and cheesy title for it. If anyone is wondering why I did this chapter, it was briefly mentioned back in chapter 6 and it also expands on why Jongin was doubtful in that chapter if his mum really loved him or not... that and I was recently at a family wedding myself and thought it would make a nice chapter... 

But hey! It leads nicely onto the next chapter! 

Until then!!