21 questions

Trying: The 'sort of' Sequel

In which Jongdae tells his parents he has a new boyfriend 
(in reference to chapter 16 of the original fic) 

~

Jongdae first realised he liked boys instead of girls when he was thriteen years old and had a slight attraction towards another student in his school. Of course Jongdae never thought anything of it, in fact he only thought his feelings were like this because he was a teenager; his hormones were all over the place and he often found himself liking one thing one minute before moving onto something else. 

He never acted upon his feelings and kept the firm belief that as soon as his hormones sorted themselves out, the attraction he felt towards this student would go away and he would go back to liking girls like society wanted him to do. The moment he realised that maybe those feelings weren't going to go away anytime soon when he saw the guy playing football during a hot summer's during a sports lessons and- being too hot and beginning to sweat- removed his shirt from him. Watching the guy play football topless gave Jongdae a whole new set of feelings he was once again not sure on how to react to. Maybe it wasn't his hormones and maybe it was something else. 

After a slight uality crisis- in which there may have been an attempt at a relationship with a girl which ended disasterously after only two weeks- Jongdae finally came out when he was fifteen years old. Though absolutely petrified, he quickly realised during the crush that was a family hug, there was no reason to worry or to have been scared in the first place. His family accepted him as he is and his brother was actually there ready to pummle anybody who said anything mean about him. 

The only thing that go on Jongdae's nerves slightly was his parents constantly asking him questions. Was there a boy he liked in school? Was he cute? Tall? Ugly? Smart? Athletic? Did he want Jongdeok to set him up with somebody he knew? The questions were endless. 

Jongdae knew they meant well and only wanted to make sure he was happy, but sometimes it became just too overwhelming and he just wished they would back off and leave him to it. Of course Jongdae knew that was going to be impossible; this was his parents after all and if he knew them well enough, then he knew that it was impossible to get them to stop doing this. 

 

 

Jongdae's parents liked to make a point to their sons that it was important- no vital- that they continued to come see their parents as often as they could. Whilst they knew that one day their sons were going to have to move out and start lives of their own, they still wanted to see them as often as possible to keep the tight family unit the boys grew up in just the same when both were in their 20's. 

Jongdae made it a point to go visit his parents at least once a week- maybe more if he had some free time- and made sure to send reminders to his brother to keep doing so himself. He could remember a time where Jongdeok hadn't seen his parents for a whole month! Jongdae tried to reassure his parents that it was because he was a university student, and as such was going to be busy and have limited visiting time. Would his parents listen? The amount of times they called his brother and messaged him was a clear answer to Jongdae that they hadn't listened to him and only learnt their lesson when his brother, literally, crashed through the door and screamed at them if they were happy now that he had finally visited them. Only then did his parents finally realise that maybe they should back down a little. 

"No Jongdeok tonight?" 
"Nah, Hyomi's got the bug so he didn't want to risk coming in case we caught it" 

Tonight's visit was conducted over dinner with Jongdae being the cook for once and his parents getting the chance to sit down and rest instead. It would usually fall under the same pattern of asking how everybody was, what they had been up to recently and then if there anything interesting they had heard about somebody they may have known to keep the flow of conversation going at a comfortable pace. 

"So Jongdae, anything interesting happen this week for you?" his mum asked and Jongdae tried to make his response as casual as possible but this was a big thing; he was about to tell his parents he had a new boyfriend (his first proper boyfriend in a number of years) and knew how they were going to react when he told them the news. 

"Nothing to report this week" he began with a shrug "But I have begun to date somebody" 

The sound of the fork his mum was once holding falling onto the table made Jongdae wince slightly. When he told his parents about his first boyfriend, they weren't silent for this long and most certainly didn't look as shocked. So what was different about this time anyway? 

"How long have you guys been dating?" his mum finally asked, picking up her fork and carrying on as though nothing had happened previously 
"U-uh not that long actually" Jongdae replied, trying to get himself back together from the previous shock. 

"What's his name?" his dad asked but before Jongdae could reply his mum began shaking her head and butted in herself 
"That's a boring question. Ask him something like what's his job? Is he older or younger? Something like that instead of the boring, usual questions." 

"Is this twentyone questions or something?" Jongdae asked and at that his mum muttered an apology and indicated for him to continue 
"His name is Joonmyun. To answer any other questions you may have; he's around my age, works... I'm not sure I'll ask him and we met at the nursery because I teach his son." Okay, judging by the expression's on their faces, maybe Jongdae should have left out the part about Joonmyun having a kid. 

"He has a kid?" his mum asked 
"Yeah, his name is Jongin. He's four years old and very cute" Jongdae explained "Look, I know what you're probably thinking but Joonmyun... look it was a one night stand he had years ago and now he's looking after Jongin" but as soon as the words left his mouth he probably figured that this was just making the situation a lot more awkward than what it should be. 

"Just look past what I said previously. Trust me, Joonmyun is a lovely guy and an excellent father to Jongin and if I didn't think I was comfortable enough being with him then I wouldn't have told you guys about him this evening" 

Jongdae's parents looked at him as if asking why he was slightly freaking out like that? He had no reason to worry about his choice over who he dates, they were just surprised that he was dating somebody who at the same time had a kid to look after as well. 

"We'l have to meet them sometime" his mum pointed out 
"Not right away, I mean we've only just started to date" Jongdae replied. 

"I know, but this is actually quite exciting when I think about it. This is your first proper boyfriend since the last disaster and you actually look... well, happy to be talking about him, and his son who I also want to meet!" his mum explained. 

"Jongin is very shy around new people so it may take some convincing to get him to come. If so I just want it to be us, Joonmyun and Jongin and Jongdeok and his family. Nobody else, mum, I know how you like to throw these big get togethers" as his mum shook her head and hold her hands up. 

"There will be no big gatherings this time Jongdae" 
"You promise?"
"I promise" 

Yet they all found out soon enough that Jongdae's mum was pretty rubbish at keeping her promises... 


Usually I would write something... but I don't really know what to write. I guess I wrote this chapter to give a little back story to how Jongdae found out he liked guys, how his family reacted and then telling them he had a new boyfriend. 

So yeah... 

Until the next chapter!!