Two

The Arrow

Cautiously you looked around the entrance. Seeing and hearing no one you proceeded to walk back the direction you came to go back to your group. What you didn’t expect was the ones following you were nearer than you thought. Soon an arrow swooshed through the air and pinned itself into a tree right beside your head. According to the angle the arrow was stuck, they had to have hidden up in the trees while you were inside the convent. You looked up behind you and two more arrows flew towards you, both a miss. You could see the faint shapes of them in the trees so you ran the opposite direction towards your hiding place with BAP.

Grabbing the arrows and bow from your back you looked around for a cover. Lucky enough you found some wooden planks to your right piled up high enough for you to hide behind. The arrows stopped for a second, before flying down at said pile again. They seemed to have jumped from tree to tree after you. You peeked up from the planks making out three different shadows in the trees. You stretched your bow with your golden arrow towards one of them and released it. Miss. He sensed it and disappeared farther into the woods. You tried with one of the other shadows, yet missed again. .

The thing with these arrows was, they were you life arrows. Without them you would die. Simple as that you had to cherish them because your life literally depended on them. You only had five to begin with. Now there were three left. You had to be even more cautious now.

You were actually a good archer but adding your fear and loneliness and the dark woods it wasn’t that easy anymore. With every arrow splintering off of the trees you could feel a sharp pain in your heart, signalizing you it wasn’t retrievable. Three left.

You waited behind your hiding place for movements which would indicate their whereabouts. But there was only silence. That silence that would pressure your ears, that silence full of tension because you know you’re not alone. You couldn’t see further than about 10 meters in front of you. Since you could not sense any moving on their behalf, you figured it would be alright to retreat further back to the basement. But you thought too early. As soon as you made a step away from the planks, multiple arrows flew in your direction so you had to jump back.

Seemed like there was no way out.