Nine

Lycanthrope
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

             

 

   Jinyoung and Jaebum were in the former’s room, taking a much-needed break. Even though it was a Sunday, Jinyoung got called into his father’s office for most of the day. Jaebum was pretty energetic by nature. He would never turn down the offer of lazing around with his best friend. Playing video games was just a bonus.

 

                It was around seven when Jackson burst through the door. Following him was Mark who gave the duo a smirk. Jaebum paused the game before asking

 

                “What’s that smell?”

 

                This made Jinyoung stared down the pair. Upon seeing what they were interrupting, the newcomers grabbed a controller and sat down

 

                “You’re such a creep you know. Iseul has no idea who you are yet she reeks of your scent.” Jackson said as he the controller to join the game.

 

                “Who?” Jaebum asked the question Jinyoung had in mind. The latter felt something click as he added it all together.

 

                “Is that her name? Iseul.” Jinyoung pondered aloud, not focused on the game anymore. Just thinking about his future mate got his inner wolf excited. “Wait, is that what she smells like? Where were you two?” Jinyoung asked as his paternal nature for his friends conflicted with his wolf’s jealousy. Why did his friends smell like his mate and know her name? He had yet to have her acknowledge his existence.

 

                “We had dinner at her house. Her parents like us.” Mark said before turning his head to look back at Jinyoung to add “a lot.”

 

                Jinyoung lifted his controller and jerked his arm as if he was going to throw it at his friend. The red head laughed this off and faced the tv.

 

                “But, why does she smell like, you know,” Jaebum asked, still not filled all the way in.

 

                “She’s a human. That old lady from when we were twelve was right. Jinyoung has a mate who won’t leap into his arms the first time they make eye contact.”  Jackson said. This made Jaebum widen his eyes and drop his jaw. He stared at his friend who was becoming even more bashful.

 

                “You should have told me about this.” He said as he kept his eyes on Jinyoung. The other boy just kept looking forward and nodded a few times, not wanting to talk about it. Jinyoung knew that most humans reject their kind when they discover the wolf part. But that wouldn’t make the boy lose hope. If he could just meet the girl and have her fall for him like any normal human relationship. Maybe she would be too attached by then to leave. He didn’t know. He was still stuck on the best way to approach her to say ‘hi’.

 

                “She’s nice and pretty, kinda quiet too. Perfect for you, only if you’d grow a pair and talk to her. Not just creep from a distance often enough that your stench clings to her.” Jackson said before adding “You're lucky she didn't fall for Mark.” he said then directed his speech at the boy next to him “I saw you flirting with her all night. What if she was your mate too? You are a red wolf after all.” The boy finished.

 

                “Shut up Jackson, don’t joke about that,” Jinyoung said.

 

                “So, Jin found his mate?” Jaebum asked, having learned so much about his friend in the past five minutes.

 

                “And he’s too shy to talk to her,” Jackson said before letting the controller drop from his grip. Mark won the game.

 

                “Why didn't you tell me anything, like at all?” Jaebum asked his friend, feeling left out.

 

                “I don’t know, it’s weird,” Jinyoung mumbled, feeling embarrassed about it all.

 

                “You know who isn't weird? Iseul’s mom. I wonder if I can get her to adopt me.” Jackson said as he let Mark set up the next round.

 

                “You already have a mother, don’t try and steal mine. Where is your mate anyway? Doesn’t she have parents that will become your in-laws?” Jinyoung asked, gaining more confidence with the topics of mates and family. He just saw the boy in front of him shrug and whisper

 

                “I don’t know who she is yet.”

 

                “Why don't’ you help Jin get with what’s her name. That way you wouldn’t be so scared to find the girl you’re destined for.” Jaebum said, trying to mediate his friend’s love lives. He already found his mate three years ago. He was in a long distance relationship with her right now. She was studying abroad in Japan for the semester. He had a lot of free time that he used to spend with her. So he was willing to dedicate himself to guiding his clueless friends. Even taking on the most difficult case himself. “And I can try to help Mark figure out why he’s such a late bloomer,” he finished.

 

                The boys were half listening to what he said, but they all still let out sounds of agreement.

 

                An hour passed and Jinyoung heard Jaebum’s stomach growl. As if on cue, Jackson’s phone rang. He pulled out the device and saw the picture he took of the girl sitting in the shopping cart.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter