Eleven

Lycanthrope
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

                

 


                Mark awoke before the sun had risen, but he wasn't the first. He looked beside him at a sleeping Jaebum hung off the couch. He would be rubbing his sore neck the rest of the day. Mark wanted get up and move him. But he knew his friend is a light sleeper and would not want to wake up to someone touching him. In front of him the girl was asleep on the floor by herself. Where had the other two gone? Mark got up and stretched his legs before wandering into the kitchen. He wanted to check the fridge but decided against it. It wasn't his house and in reality he shouldn't have stayed the night. It was late and nothing made sense. All the boy could remember was a few stupid hashtags he spent an hour reading tweets about. When he turned to go back in the other room, he saw movement from the back window. The boy walked over the door and heard hushed yelling.

 

                “Are you serious, wasn't Mark freaking out on you yesterday enough?”  A voice said. Mark remembered what happened the day before. The thing that got him mad enough to run away. He didn't wait for Jackson’s reply as he opened the door to face the boys.

 

                “If you are still thinking about fighting them, then you need to stop.” Mark said as he stepped out on the porch.

 

                “Dude, it’s not just us anymore, look,” Jackson said, pointing to the dead squirrel. Mark hadn't noticed he was lucky enough to step over it earlier.

 

                “Why, what, it stinks,” Mark said, confused about what it was doing there.

 

                “Yeah man, it smells like because it’s coated in their scent. How did they even know about her? Now they’re going to torment her too. She’s human, she has nothing to do with this.” Jackson said, trying to keep his voice down as he grew angrier at the situation.

 

                “It’s not cool, but what do you expect to happen? We barge in there, scare them and they’ll stop?” Jinyoung asked, trying to reason with his friend.

 

                “Yes! We’ll go over to their territory, with them a bit and make them get the message.” Jackson said, his voice growing higher.

 

                “No, idiot. If we did that it would just cause even more problems. You do realize they are still bitter from a hundred years ago. Sure, it doesn't make sense why they’re acting up now. But if we try to” Jinyoung said before Jackson cut him off.

 

                “Bitter? What does The North have to be bitter about? They should be grateful towards us. Our ancestors made them see reason when they were going insane. They should feel blessed that we didn't ship them off to the real North Korea.” Jackson said, his voice dropping as he yawned after his statement.

 

                “It’s messed up that they wanted a monarchy that held absolute power over everyone. But we weren't nice about it either. Did you even pay attention in the history courses from our ancestors? We recruited help from humans, humans who had real weapons. On top of that, we made a deal that when they helped us, they could keep the corpses. Do you remember the number of how many werewolf bodies they gathered to pick apart? Two hundred and thirty-seven. Do you remember how many members The North had when we first separated? Fifty-four. Our ancestors almost wiped them out. Do you remember how many-” Jinyoung said before he got cut off.

 

                “Shut up,” Jackson said, not wanting to hear it.

 

                “Four. Jackson, four, The South only had four casualties. Sure, our side had less than a hundred members after the separation. But at least they didn't try to make us go extinct. I know if I was a part of The North, I wouldn't like us too much either.” Jinyoung finished.

 

                “ing whatever Jinyoung, okay. I get it, we are evil in their eyes. We are murders and we side with humans. We should feel bad and . But that’s in the past and why do they care now.”  Jackson said. Mark just stood there and recalled the conversation he had with Jackson yesterday. The boy wouldn't listen to the redhead and things got heated. "A spineless ing worm who would get crushed by any wolf in battle. Because of his mutant genetics that gave him disgusting orange fur." Is what Jackson called his friend. This got Mark so angry he thought he could feel the familiar snap of bones and he had to get away. He ran to release some of the anger. That's when he appeared in front of Iseul’s house.

 

                “Hey, yeah, why are they starting stuff here? Do they have spies lurking around our perimeter or something? Did they already figure out Jinyoung has a human mate?” Mark asked. The boys looked at each other a bit unsure. Now have a few new theories popping in their heads. Before any of them could voice their ideas, the door cracked open.

 

                “What are you boys doing out here so early?” Iseul’s father, Hyuk, asked while looking each of the boys in the eyes. He soon scrunched up his nose and let out a disgusted sound before looking in front of his feet. “Again? Damn it, I better throw it away before Iseul sees this.” The man said aloud to himself as he turned back into the kitchen.  

 

                “Did he say again?” Mark asked, vocalizing what the trio had been thinking.

 

                The man stepped back out and picked up the dead body with a handful of old newspaper. The

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter