One

Lycanthrope
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

        

 



          Iseul awoke to the sound of her mother’s screams.



          “Hyuk! Did you do this?” her mother, Eunju, yelled.



           Iseul decided to check out what was happening despite the lack of sunlight. The girl still had a bit of trouble navigating her way through the new house. She let out a cry when her foot hit a moving box near the  arch leading into the kitchen from the hall. Her mother was at the doorway on the other side of the room looking at something on the back porch.



           “What is it?” her father, Hyuk, said as he walked past the girl and towards his wife.



           “I like to think of myself as a supportive and open minded woman. I don’t mind living out in the middle of nowhere so you can do you science in peace. But damn it Hyuk, keep the dead vermin off my porch.” her mother finished.



           The past few days the family had awoken to a few small dead animals resting on their doorstep. Iseul tried to catch a glimpse of today’s creature. No matter how much she stretched her height, she couldn't see over her father. The man crouched down to pick up the animal and that's when Iseul saw the lifeless rabbit. The poor animals never looked like they died of natural cause either. They always glimmered with blood matted in their fur and open wounds littered their carcass. It wasn't hard to figure out they were fresh kills and left like some kind of sick joke. Iseul hating seeing the dead animal, but this one made her realize something. She snapped out of her daze upon her father's return with a bundle of paper towels.



           “Wait, dad wait, don’t move it yet, I want to see something.” Iseul said as she turned and headed for her room. Dodging the out of place boxes on her way, she retrieved her in a matter of seconds. On her way back to the crime scene, she was too focused on the photo app and caught her pinky toe on a rug. She hopped on one foot as she scrolled through her pictures from yesterday.



           It had been a warm day in mid-May and Iseul was taking advantage of it. A perk of living in a forest was a massive lack of neighbors. This was a benefit on days like today where the girl could plug in her phone and blare Super Junior while doing homework. She sat on the grass in her backyard a.k.a the small bit of flat land behind her house that grew into a denser site of trees. Sitting with folded legs, she laid her work on her lap and glanced at the shaking foliage ahead. Curious, but not brave enough to move, she froze until whatever rustled the leaves left. Feeling around the plush grass for her pen, she saw something out of the corner of her eye. Turning her head, Iseul saw an orange and cream colored bunny rabbit a few feet beside her.



           “It’s so cute,” she said aloud to herself. Making no sudden movements, the obsidian haired girl grabbed the speakers and lifted her phone. She couldn’t turn the music off, the rabbit could notice and get scared. Not taking her eyes off the ball of fluff for one second, Iseul opened her camera app and angled for a perfect shot. She clicked the button and a shutter sound echoed over the loud pop music. The bunny turned its head and hopped away. The girl let out a sigh while checking the image she managed to capture. Regardless of the  blur from the rabbit whipping its head around, it was adorable.



           Now Iseul felt a frown grow on her face as she matched yesterday’s image to today’s victim. The lifeless fuzz was, in fact, the cute bunny from yesterday.



           “I feel like I’m a target,” Iseul said. Her parents took turns glancing at the image trying to understand.



           “Would you, um, like to bury it?” her father asked, trying to provide comfort.



          “No, I want to find out who is doing this.”





          Jinyoung remembers when he first heard the news, he didn’t think it was true. not because it seemed outrageous, he knew things like this happened sometimes. It was because he heard it come from a lady who rumored to use a crystal ball to predict fortunes.



          It had been almost a decade ago. Jinyoung and his friends were at the age of being able to go a few places on their own. That night was a time of rituals and sacrifices. It was a carnival of fenced areas to condition teenagers and tents of elders conducting dark magic. The small village came together like this every full moon. At the awkward age of twelve, the boy and his group started to show up but were still too young to take part. Of the few options they had, the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter