Heartache

Mixed One-Shot Collection

Title: Heartache 
Characters: Jaehyo, You
Genre: Romance, Angst
Rated: PG-13

 

Summary: You have been best friends with Jaehyo for as long as you could remember. Certain feelings were bound to grow stronger. But suddenly things begin to change when another girl shows interest and a distance grows bettwen the two of you. Just when you were about to give up on your feelings fate leads you to uncover a shocking secret... 

 


 

He was your best friend. So when he came to you with news that he was dating someone, you shouldn’t have felt your heart break. But you did. For as long as you could remember, it had always been just the two of you. You were aware that the love you held for him surpassed friendship status but you had always kept those feelings hidden. And up until this point, being his best friend had been enough. Now things were different. He had a girlfriend and you couldn’t help but watch as he drifted further and further from your grasp and into the arms of another.

Time seemed to pass by so slowly without him by your side. It had been well over a month and you hardly saw much of Jaehyo anymore. The loss was driving you crazy and you found that each day became increasingly harder. It was one thing being alone thinking about them together. But as you dragged yourself to school every day and watched as some girl you barley knew take your spot beside him, was even harder. Because in public you couldn’t cry. You couldn’t bury your face in a pillow and scream at the top of your lungs. No. Everyone in school knew you as the bubbly smart girl. You had to fake a smile and face unknowing onlookers as you pressed on with your life. Without Jaehyo by your side. You flinched outwardly at the thought, closing your locker.

"Another day…" You whispered to yourself, looking around the now empty hallway. You had stayed late after school today to help one of your classmates prepare for exams. You were almost to the exit when you heard a small crash and then giggling coming from a classroom nearby. It had confused you, considering everyone else had gone home. Curious, you quietly advanced towards the ajar door. You checked the time on your phone. It should have been closed and locked by now. You peeked through the crack and saw two students kissing. At first you were just going to leave, embarrassed that you had witnessed such an intimate scene. But then they moved slightly and the girls face came into view. You gasped then slapped a hand over your mouth, relieved that neither of them heard you. It was Jaehyo’s girlfriend. You held your phone up and snapped a photo. The camera sound went off, alarming the occupants of the room as they looked in your direction. You cursed inwardly, rushing towards the exit as fast as you could.

That night you couldn’t sleep. All you could think about is how you were going to break it to him. It was painful to think about how hurt he would be. What if he didn’t believe you? You looked at the picture displayed on your phone screen. It was a bit blurry because you had been shaking. The lighting wasn’t that good either. You couldn’t really make out the faces that well. It was very little proof. But you still carried on that morning, your heart weighing down considerably. It had taken all day to build up the courage. But finally you pressed send on the message that had been written and rewritten time and time again on your phone. 

To: JaeHOE <3

Hey. Can you meet me on the bleachers by the old football field…. I need to tell you something really important. Please come alone… 

Your head hung low and repeated the words typed to him over and over again in your mind. This was it. You would finally tell him what you had witnessed yesterday. And you had honestly never been more sacred and nervous in your entire life. Your phone buzzed and you looked at it after letting out a shaky sigh, reading his response.

From: JaeHOE <3

Of coarse. Is something wrong? You’re never this serious…   

You didn’t have the heart to reply. Instead putting the phone back in your pocket. You really didn’t want to be the one to break it to him. Suddenly a hand grabbed the hood of your jacket and lifted you to your feet, choking slightly at how rough the action had been. Startled, you faced the person who still had their firm grip on your hood. The color drained from your face as you stared into the angry eyes of Jaehyo’s girlfriend.

"I know it was you , now hand over the phone."

"No." She fumed and pushed you backwards, making your back hit the side railing of the bleachers.

"I said give it to me!" 

"I’m going to tell him what you did. You’re the lowest form of human being and he deserves better." She chuckled bitterly.

"Like you?" Your eyes widened at her comment and she smirked. 

"Please. It’s so obvious that you are head over heels for him." 

"That’s none of your business!" Her amused face turned to anger.

"It is my business!" She scoffed before continuing.

"You think you’re all that, don’t you? Top of our class. Excel at everything you do. Everyone loves you! Why?! What’s so great about you?! I just couldn’t watch anymore. So I stepped in." Your mind raced with this new information.

"So you…your only dating Jaehyo because…of me?"

"Bingo. Once I found out that you liked him, I just couldn’t help myself. I wanted to take something of value away. You’re the one who doesn’t deserve him! But now my secret is out! You want to ruin this for me too?! To take this away from me!" 

"Once he finds out you cheated-" She rolled her eyes, cutting your words off.

"He won’t believe you. I’ve got him wrapped around my finger. You hardly mean anything to him anymore." Tears threatened to spill form your eyes.

"I may not understand why you hate me so much. But please…just leave him out of this." 

"Yeah, not gonna happen. Now stop stalling and give me your phone." She went to grab for you again when a hand caught hers firmly. Both of you looked up to see Jaehyo, hurt written all over his face as he stared down at his girlfriend.

"J-Jaehyo." She stuttered out. He hardened his gaze and glared at her.

"I don’t ever want to see your face again. Get lost." He harshly whispered as he whipped her hand out of his grasp, making the girl stumble back in shock. 

"NOW!" He yelled and she hurriedly scurried away. He stood there a few seconds before plopping down on the bench heavily. You didn’t know what to do. A part of you was relieved that he finally knew the truth. But seeing him so torn up about it made you sad. 

"Jaehyo…" 

"You too…just go." He whispered shakily, tears forming in his eyes. His words hurt. Was this his way of telling you he rejected your feelings? 

"I’m sorry." You whispered back before descending the bleachers. 

You knew you were being a coward by not going to school. But you just couldn’t. You didn’t want to see him or anyone else. Your parents never found out about you staying home. Both worked very early in the morning until well past the time you would usually get home. No one was ever there to see you off or greet you. That had been Jaehyo's job up until recently. Whithout him it was truly lonely. You had already called in to tell the school that you had been sick with the flu. This continued on for a week and a half. 

Wednesday was different, however. You had heard the front door open. Checking the time, you realized that school was still in session. Panicked that one of your parents might find you home, you hopped in bed and covered yourself. Acting sick seemed to be your best bet if one of them caught you. Staying silent, you listened as footsteps approached your bedroom door. Then you heard a creek as someone stepped into the room and walked closer to the bed. You couldn’t see who it was because the blankets were tightly pulled over your head. You closed your eyes and pretended to be asleep. The person sat beside you and pulled the covers off of your face. Whoever it was remained silent, bending over and placing a kiss on your forehead before sitting back up. Finally he spoke and it took everything in you to remain calm as you recognized the voice instantly.

"You shouldn’t be the one sorry. I have been a horrible friend to you these past few months…" He spoke softly.

"How could I…not see that she was playing me?" You felt his hand rub your face gently.

"But more importantly. How could I not notice how you felt towards me?" His hand retreated and you felt him shift. When he spoke again, his words were muffled.

"I was so hurt by her that I ended up hurting you. I’m so sorry. Please just forgive me. You’re the most important person in my life, always have been. And I have thought long and hard about this. I accept your feelings." He let out a sigh. 

"I love you too." He whispered.

"You don’t have to say that to try and make me feel better…" You whispered, eyes still closed as you hugged the bed sheets closer. He jumped slightly upon hearing your voice before registering what you had said.

"You’re awake…" 

"Look at me." You shook your head no, fearing the tears that might spill out upon seeing him. He grabbed the covers and pulled them off of you, throwing them to the floor. Then you felt his hands snake around your waist and pull you upward into a sitting position. Feeling awkward having your eyes closed in such a state, they finally opened. He was right in front of you, staring intensely. Once you locked eyes he spoke. 

"I have never lied to you. Ever." He stated, pulling you closer to him. Your eyes teared up more and more as you tried to blink back the wetness. Finally you let them fall freely, unable to hold in all of the emotions running through your body. He looked at you worriedly and rubbed at your face.

"You jerk." You said, before hugging him tightly. He smiled as he pressed his lips against your cheek. 

"I know." He rubbed your back soothingly. 

"Promise me you won’t leave again…" You choked out.

"I won’t. I promise."